freestyle food + drink
660 N. State Street
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
freestyle food + drink
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.freestylefoodanddrink.com/
- Phone: 312-202-6050x
- Hours of Operation:
breakfast: 6:30a - 10:30a
lunch: 11:30a - 2:30p
dinner: 6p - 11p / dinner (sun): 6p - 10p
lounge menu: 2:30p - close
brunch (sat/sun): 10a - 3p
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ariel Bagadiong
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering options available
- Private Party Facilities: Private party options available
- Private Party Contact: Brittney Epley 312-202-6043x
- Special Events: Please contact Brittney Epley @ 312-202-6043
A word from freestyle food + drink
At freestyle food + drink in downtown Chicago, we have a passion for food and a desire to share that passion. Utilizing fresh, sustainable ingredients, we add a pinch to this and a dash to that to create american tastes with a twist of global influence.Continued
freestyle is open for breakfast, lunch, happy hour, dinner and weekend brunch.
freestyle is open for breakfast, lunch, happy hour, dinner and weekend brunch.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
freestyle food + drink reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (4)great for outdoor dining (4)great for brunch (3)fit for foodies (3)special occasion (3)romantic (2)great for lunch (2)notable wine list (1)neighborhood gem (1)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- kronschDined on 7/31/2014had a great time visiting with friends and eating multiple items- the city scene was also fun to watch I would go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Drinks!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/3/2014Yummy food, great drinks, outdoor seating... it was perfect. <3Special Features:
- Great steak dinnerdavemclvDined on 5/16/2014Usually, I don't order a steak if it's not specifically a restaurant known for steaks. However, the ribeye caught my attention & I had to try it. The flavor was awesome & the steak very tender. Was priced moderately also. The staff was very good. A good dining experience overall.Special Features:
- The following 83 reviews are from the freestyle food + drink reviews archive.
- yumyumVIPDined on 5/5/2014donuts and milk and cookies hands down! Must have for desserts. Rock shrimp and Guac are out of this world too!Special Features:
- Spend your money elsewhereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/25/2014Group of 5 ladies from out of town. Seated next to the hostess table, which felt a bit intrusive. Cold air was blowing consistently making it uncomfortable. Drinks tasted very watered down. Only 2 servers were covering inside and outside tables resulting in long times for drink refills and food (1 dessert took 20 minutes) The order brought out was incorrect. The food was average. The server was friendly, but I would recommend that you spend your money elsewhere.
- Location is keyGoldCoasterDined on 4/20/2014I pass by this place often and was itching to get on their patio. The scene is great and the service was good - food was just ok. I was there for brunch and I ordered the frittata. There was nothing terribly wrong with it but it wasn't something that I'd go back for.Special Features:
- Fantastic!JameyMVIPDined on 4/12/2014Came here with 5 of my girlfriends on a last-minute reservation. None of us had been here before and we all walked away thrilled to pieces with our experience. Everything was great; from the food to the service to the sights and sounds of a warm-ish Chicago evening. Minus the wailing of a few ambulance sirens (hey, it's downtown Chicago), our dinner couldn't have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty GoodChicagoBellyDined on 2/14/2014We had dinner and drinks here for Valentine's Day 2014--the ambiance was vibrant, server (Josh) was both friendly and knowledgable, and the restaurant was filled with a diverse group of young couples, which was just the type of atmosphere we were looking for. However, we found the food to be rather mediocre and had higher expectations based on both the menu offerings and the prices. Overall, it was a pleasant experience and I'd be interested to go back for the craft cocktails exclusively (instead of ordering a bottle of wine)--perhaps the greatness is in the "drink" rather than the "food"?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food great servicesaint1VIPDined on 1/31/2014Very rare to go back to a restaurant twice in a week but 3 times , well , thats crazy. The flatiron steak with fries cooked in truffle oil is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekToshaDined on 1/31/2014We ordered from the special Restaurant Week 2014 menu. The rock shrimp, burrata, and chicken wings were all delicious. The osso buco entree was also very good. The service was not the best but I have friends who have been there before and they had good service. It is located in the Dana Hotel and Spa so I would imagine that the room service is very good. I will try it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week ReviewChicagoDinerVIPDined on 1/30/2014Freestyle is located in the Dana hotel & the food and service did not disappoint. Appetizers: caesar salad with herb dressing & rock shrimp. Both were really good. Entrees: Both had short ribs with mashed potatoes. The ribs fell apart with your fork & the mashed potatoes were very good. My only complaint is that something on the plate had truffle oil, which I don't like, & it was not listed in the description. Dessert: Both had the brown butter sundae & it was excellent! It was a blondie with vanilla gelato, whipped cream & cherries on top. It is a BIG dessert! Portions were big and I was able to try the apple pie whiskey prior to ordering a Manhattan with it to ensure I liked it. Our waiter was really attentive and very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable experienceMarkusDined on 1/1/2014The restaurant's ambiance was excellent with modern design and great background music. Food was very good (e.g., jumping beef, sea bass). However, the boneless chicken has bones and the chicken was dry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for New Year's Eve with groupBrettVIPDined on 12/31/2013We were there with a group and the service was excellent, a very friendly and likeable server. The food was good, everyone like their food. Overall it was a very good experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice place for happy hourYesPleaseVIPDined on 12/10/2013It is dark and quiet, but a lovely little escape to a fireplace on a winter night. Good shared appetizers, good bar menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Good to Be in a BarSkippy99VIPDined on 12/7/2013The food was far too superior to have been served in what seemed just an appendage to the raucous bar crowd -- not many chose to dine on a Saturday night (though it was early, 6 PM). Service was outstanding, don't know if that holds true when more than 3 or 4 booths are occupied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/28/2013This. Place was incredible! Creative and inspired dishes!! One of the most memorable meals and desserts in the city! We will be back! We has no idea and we live here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had breakfast - eggs OK butOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/24/2013Had breakfast - eggs OK but I would have liked them a little more spicy - great views and people watchingSpecial Features:
- Great food and very quickMichelleDined on 11/9/2013Great food and very quick service. The staff was friendly.Special Features:
- Had midweek BrunchbritguyVIPDined on 10/3/2013Good central restaurant- part of a hotel. Needed somewhere quick and easy to find. Food was much better than expected- Had Egg Benedict with sauce on the side. Portion was huge and request for Fruit brought what would normally be a full portion on the side. Only downside was the coffee- we asked for a Press and the first that came was very weak. The server immediately replaced with double the coffee but even this was only acceptable- something to do with their coffee. Nice looking dining room with view over the street.Special Features:
- Could do betterfoodcrazyDined on 9/28/2013Great outdoor venue. Decent menu selection but need to up their game on execution. Scallop appetizer (with crispy cauliflower) was not properly seared, i.e. not even brown. Sweet chili sauce was neither chili nor sweet. Tasted mostly of soy sauce and too much at that. Garlic roasted half chicken was properly cooked. Sea bass was roasted well but was completely unseasoned and therefore had no flavor. Mushrooms were not fully cooked through. Celery root remoulade was watery and insufficiently seasoned. But coconut cake with fruit ceviche was excellent. Firm coconut flavor, interesting use of taro root jam as filling. Fruit accompaniment with mango and tapioca was refreshing. Decaf coffee (French press no less) was weak. Good server.Special Features:
- First dateNicknameDined on 8/31/2013I found the restaurant online and met my date outside the restaurant. We opted to sit outside. We ate fairly light. She had the oysters and I had the tomato basil soup (complete with grilled cheese pieces, not a sandwich, just 3 pieces). Both were good. My date and I hit it off right away so I guess this is a good place to go on a first date. Great people watching on State Street.Special Features:
- Downtown Chicago GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2013We arrived almost an hour before our reservation but getting a table early - and outside - wasn't a problem. The food was different to the normal fare and the menu didn't say Tapas but many of the dishes could be treated that way. Wine list was a bit of a disappointment, only two reds we were willing to try. The Shiraz was the better of the two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still havent got it rightBTaubs714VIPDined on 8/20/2013This is the 3rd place here in 5 years, and they still havent figured it out. Even at happy hour prices, a meal with no booze was over 50 dollars for 2 people. This was for an order of sliders, 2 rolls, and mac and cheese. No way I would have paid the 75 plus it would be at non happy hour rates for what ammounts to bar food. Granted it was pretty good, but no where worth the prices. Plus it is just a random collection of foods, which is fine for some food and drinks, but would never pay the top dollar they are asking for food to accompany my cocktails.Special Features:
- Need a good chef !!!Homechef64Dined on 7/28/2013They trying hard but far behind competition by qoulity of preparation and ingredients ,oysters were fishy smelling,chicken soup had after taste of chicken cube, salad nothing special,would be ok for some fast food joint at suburbs but I this location competition too many good restorants at the same price. That nailed it down much better, Get better chef!!!Special Features:
- I selected this place to celebrateOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/15/2012I selected this place to celebrate my birthday and was not impressed at all. The food was great but the waitress failed to mention proportions and I ended up wanting to go somewhere else to eat (since my friends where going to be the ones paying for dinner.)Also, for whatever reason, they lost my original Opentable reservation which was annoying since it mentioned that I was celebrating my birthday. After my friends awkwardly mentioned the fact to her, she wished me a Happy Birthday but apparently they really don't do anything else for special occasions. I also remember the cocktail she recommended to me was reminiscent of cough syrup. Overall, not impressed but I would give it a second shot on a more casual occasion.
- Definitely go back!PIPoodleVIPDined on 9/21/2012We had a girls night out and it was perfect: Chef made dessert at our table, drink selection was great, and food was spectacular. Sat in a nice booth by the window. Definitely go back!Special Features:
- Argent is an under appreciatedchickVIPDined on 8/18/2012Argent is an under appreciated dining option. It has a nice sidewalk dining area and a clean and modern dining room. Notwithstanding the recent chef switch the food is excellent. The tuna tartar is excellent and the ceasar salad is above average. A special bone in pork chop was top notch. If you live in the neighborhood they give a 20% discount.Special Features:
- This was my first time visitingolivesDined on 6/18/2011This was my first time visiting Aja, which is located on the ground level of Dana Hotel. The food was FANTASTIC and our waitress was great! I recommend going on a nice summer day or evening to enjoy great food, fantastic drinks and entertaining people watching!Special Features:
- I did not enjoy this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/13/2011I did not enjoy this restaurant at all. We had a 5 course deal that was purchased online. Best way to describe it is that the chef gave us everything that was basically about to go bad and served it to us. I will not go back again.
- Went during restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/22/2011Went during restaurant week for lunch. Very quiet. The highlights were the 18 veg salad (colorful and fresh, nice variety of textures and flavors), and the pineapple upside down cake (crystallized pineapple a nice touch).Special Features:
- My co-workers and I choseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/24/2011My co-workers and I chose to go to Aja on a Monday after work. After reading the better than average reviews we thought it would be a great place to go due to the reasonable prices. Upon our arrival we entered the building upset to find that the atmosphere was less than average. The decor was run down and seemingly dirty. After being seated we noticed the lack of staff - one bartender and one woman (presumably the manager) and one waitress who "waited" on us. The service was very slow and the food was mediocre at best. The only positive on the night was their lemongrass drink, it was delicious. I wouldn't recommend bringing anyone to this restaurant who you are trying to impress.
- not my favorite in any way,Schmidc21VIPDined on 12/10/2010not my favorite in any way, much better in the city for all things
- Food was good, tuna was great,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/27/2009Food was good, tuna was great, steak ok, not steak house.
- I am not one to typicallyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/24/2009I am not one to typically consider writing a review but felt I needed to report that the great Aja Steak is gone. Replaced by an "urban greenmarket asian cafe" serving average food. This was a place that I actively recommended. I hosted two events here with friends. But last night will be my last dining experience here. The new menu assortment is small and requires a certain eclectic taste. The food was "okay" but definitely not the caliber or variety previously offered. There is definitely much better places here in Chicago.
- Expensive, poor service (theSuzeVIPDined on 11/17/2008Expensive, poor service (the waiter never once checked on us -- we had to flag him down for everything, and we weren't demanding -- just needed the basics attended to). I've had way better sushi at hole-in-the-wall restaurants. The ribeye my colleague ordered was ridiculously expensive and not that good. Don't waste your time or money.
- Not bad... but unimpressive.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/14/2008Not bad... but unimpressive. More expensive and not half as good as other comparable restaurants in the area. Crowded seating. Unbelieveably overpriced cocktails. I would not return.
- My wife is on a low fat dietGoldcoastguyVIPDined on 11/14/2008My wife is on a low fat diet and ordered the chicken. It came with skin on and was quite heavy in fat and was unacceptable. They made a heroic recovery with a very nice lean fillet. The service was good and they were very accommodating to our special requests.Special Features:
- The Kobe Steak was the bestLizzieCVIPDined on 11/13/2008The Kobe Steak was the best steak I have ever had! It melted in my mouth!Special Features:
- Ajasteak was a great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/13/2008Ajasteak was a great find! The sushi is delicious and very fresh. They had kobe beef and great seafood. I had the sea bass while my husband had the miso cod. Both were great as well as the creamy mashed potatoes and marinated green beans. We had a delicious chocolate cake with vanilla milk shake for dessert. The service was flawless. Upstairs is a great nightclub which has an incredible view. Enjoy!Special Features:
- The $30-50 estimate is low,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/9/2008The $30-50 estimate is low, but it is worth the money.Special Features: