8 Rivington Street
New York, NY 10002Neighborhood:
Lower East Side
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.freemansrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (212) 420-0012
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 6:00pm - 11:30pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Preston and Ginger Madson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Freemans
Located in Lower East Side of Manhattan Freemans offers a rugged and clandestine respite in a Colonial American Tavern setting. The cuisine is early American: simple, rustic and inspired by Old World traditions. Freemans is well known for beautiful artisanal cocktails and warm service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Freemans reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (52)fit for foodies (43)good for groups (37)great for brunch (34)hot spot (29)romantic (28)special occasion (21)vibrant bar scene (12)great for lunch (10)notable wine list (6)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- I love that placeSandADined on 11/15/2014Great atmosphere !! I am a fan of their artichoke dip. I always order it and it's amazing. Last time it was perfectly baked... we ordered a second one! Also ordered a delicious cod special. The food is tasty. The cocktails are good. The place gets very crowded and noisy but it's not necessarily bad depending on the atmosphere you are looking for. Definitely a fun place to have dinner with a group of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well doneHSAGDined on 11/6/2014Took a date here. Food/decor/scene were all A+. Do yourself a favor and get the chicken and the lobster gratin. We ordered a bunch of items and shared. Everything was spot on.Special Features:
- not what I rememberedjoyfortasteVIPDined on 11/2/2014I made this reservation for 7 people, we arrived there 5 minutes before our reservation and the restaurant was packed, the manager or whoever he was, wasn't very nice to us (to say the least) and wanted us to wait for our table outside and it's was freezing cold, we refused and waited by the bar since my parents can't be in the cold, we had to wait 20 minutes for our table. The kids at the check in were a little clueless and we just got turned off with the place on arrival. The waitress was super sweet, but I expected more from the food, it just wasn't up to what I remember. The worse thing is that it was a Birthday celebration and it was disappointing.Special Features:
- Red Room Upstairs is AwesomeRedRoomUpstairsDined on 11/1/2014I had never eaten upstairs here before and I have to say it was perfect. I had a group of 7 adults and one 10 month old and they had a seating area for my group to wait while the rest of our group arrived and the noise level upstairs was much quieter than the bustling crowds downstairs. Pretty sure the upstairs is only for large groups of 5 or more.Special Features:
- Lumix Luminary dinnerLumixLuminaryDined on 10/30/2014Outstanding! I had a group of very prominent photographers and world renowned printers and we were all very happy with our choice! Thank you very much for a great evening. Regards, Rick GerritySpecial Features:
- Good choiceNinniDined on 10/28/2014Thank you for a great dinner at Freemans together with my son. I have been recommend your restaurang from relatives who lives in NY and they were right. It was a fantastic place with very good food in a nice ambiance. We hope to come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014good location although hard to locate entry first time . Good feel and vibe particularly on friday night . Food and service goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!foodthoughtsDined on 10/23/2014Found Freeman's when looking for last minute reservations in the neighborhood. Both me and my hubby were very pleasantly surprised with food, service and the space. It was a wonderful start to our evening. We are looking for a reason to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemRarelyoutDined on 10/23/2014Excellent service and food, great ambiance. I got lost and was a bit later than my reservation called for--they were extremely accommodating.Special Features:
- Highly recommend itLondonerinNewYorkDined on 10/12/2014A great experience in every way. Can't wait to go again when I next visit New YorkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeakliakliDined on 9/23/2014Amazing decor and cute street. Soup and drinks were amazing but my hamburguer bread was a little dry to be honest. But it was an amazing experience. Super cute alley, amazing decor inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NR1969Dined on 9/17/2014I was so looking forward to going back to Freemans as I don't live in the US and had fond memories of my last time at Freemans, everything was great and met expectations apart from the service. The waiter was incredibly moody and this somewhat was disappointing as it makes a huge difference when the waiters and bar staff are welcoming and I have to say I was a little let down by the sullen attitude of our waiter. This honestly would not encourage me to come back even though I love the restaurant. Also the table next to us was a table for 4 people and there were 5 of them so it was very squashed...But no one seemed to care to be honest. Disappointing overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good times as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/14/2014Food is great. Bar area is small so get here early if just for drinks. Been coming here for years and would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedLaurainNYCDined on 9/6/2014Went there with a few friends last saturday. The place is nice and cosy, but the waitress was rude, kept calling everything her "favourite thing on the menu" and eventually led us to order some very unremarkable mac and cheese. We left fairly quickly after the dinner, but not before paying an expensive bill. Will not return.
- Solid food, great atmospherehalfmoonDined on 9/1/2014Very unique spot. Even though it was the original, these days it feels a bit like Brooklyn on the LES. We went for brunch and everyone enjoyed their food. Chocolate mint ice cream for dessert was amazing.Special Features:
- Great findC3PODined on 8/30/2014Delicious bday dinner. Your lady will be happy. Get the artichoke dipSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Gem!RishiDined on 8/29/2014Great food although a little on the small side considering the usual American portion size! However, quality of the burgers is spot on and their home made lemonade is awesome!Special Features:
- Over Promise/Under DeliverOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Freemans came highly recommended - unfortunately, after dining at ABC Kitchens and Little Owl, the experience at Freemans was disappointing both in terms of the quality of the food and the service. It will not be on our list going forward.
- Intro to NYC DiningGVResidentVIPDined on 8/22/2014I lived in NYC for 11 years. I only started going to Freeman's after I moved away. Immediately fell in love with it. It's a quintessential NY restaurant: hip, great food, good people watching, funky. I picked this restaurant as the intro to NYC dining for a couple of my friends. Everyone loved it. I was very happy.Special Features:
- Not like I rememberedJCSNYCVIPDined on 8/16/2014There is something special about Freeman Alley and the vibe of the restaurant but the service was so disappointing it impacted our whole meal. Our server was so disinterested in our table and dining experience it was actually hard to order at some points. It is really unfortunate when you feel like your server thinks you are wasting their time. On a good note, the artichoke dip was incredible as per usual, chicken was delicious and the zucchini noodles fine but not worth the price. We did get a complimentary artichoke dish when there were other delays which was a wonderful surprise because it is delicious. Maybe I'll do brunch next time but I think I'm done with dinner for now at Freemans.
- Loved it!GodricDined on 8/14/2014Our friend recommended this place to us and I'm so happy she did! It's so cute and the food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved everything about it!ChelseaDined on 8/10/2014Will definitely be coming back soon. Everything was great- service, food, ambience. Great place to take the folks when they're in town, but also doubles as a great date night spot. Two thumbs up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!SmpleitezDined on 8/9/2014I always bring out of towners here for a true New York local dining experience. It's a hidden gem in an alley way you would walk by if you didn't know to look. Food and drinks are always delicious! I recommend the Mac n cheese and spinach artichoke dip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemHfoodieDined on 8/7/2014A lovely restaurant tucked in at the end of an alley in the east village. Great ambiance with a delicious menu. We ordered the artichoke dip with bread as a starter and it was the BEST dip I've ever tasted. Fabulous find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at FreemansualwayswantwhatiorderDined on 7/27/2014Brunch is delicious at Freemans. I have hosted 2 brunches there recently, one for 7 people and the other for 8 people. Great food, nice variety, good for vegans, vegetarian and meat eaters ! Sat upstairs both times, was seated immediately and exactly to my reservation time. Loved the cheese grits, the smoked trout and the cappuccino. My guests loved the pulled pork sandwich, eggs Benedict and pancakes. Everyone was happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 130 reviews are from the Freemans reviews archive.
- Sweet SpotGigiDined on 7/24/2014At the back of a not so promising alley, is this charming, old NY feeling restaurant. I've never gotten in at night - it was always busy - but thought of it for a very nice, quiet lunch there with a friend. We enjoyed the food, the ambience, and the visit with each other.Special Features:
- Mediocre food in a pretty settingWeimarnerVIPDined on 7/22/2014Heard a lot about this place. I think the best thing about the place is the unique location. The was just average. Most dishes lacked flavor. I had asked them beforehand whether they could make non-alcoholic and they said yep they could to some nice summery drinks. When we got there...the waiter first just said no they can't. After pressing they got me done thing which was just average. Anyway I would not go there again. There are plenty if interesting places in the neighborhood that you should try before going here.
- Great for Groupsrphillips92Dined on 7/19/2014Came here with a group of old friends I hadn't seen in a while. Everyone enjoyed the cocktail menu as well as the food (the artichoke dip and the French 75 were the two big hits). Had also been to Freeman's in a more intimate and personal setting, which the restaurant was fantastic for as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute location - good foodThyme2EatDined on 7/19/2014Decor and feel of the restaurant was very interesting (in a good way). We were 10min late for our res but there were no issues and we were seated immediately (so grateful since we had such a large party). Some dishes were much better than others. Best were the bacon & egg biscuit (but quite small), egg skillet, and pork sandwich. The grilled cheese was nothing special. Bloody Mary's were pretty good, but very spicy. Service was average - would have expected more attentiveness given the size of our group and amount we ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanks 4 getting me into taxidermyGibletsDined on 7/19/2014Never had anything other than a great experience here, and I've been at least 20 times. 5 stars for food, vibe, atmosphere. Don't change a thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missing the pointZeytunDined on 7/18/2014I took a potential client to a late lunch here (at 2:30 hardly a rush). In my reservation and in person I asked for a table by the window, which we would have waited for, however the hostess sat us in a tight table, next to a doorway, next to another couple, in an empty room. The good thing is both of us are familiar with the restaurant. However we were discussing doing business together 3 feet away from a couple that sounded like they wanted to date other people. The hostess missed the point of my request, both through open table and in person. Food was great, though there were no bean or alternate protein options for my vegan guest. Our lunch was awkward and unimpressive, lucky the deal went through in spite of our outing.Special Features:
- Hidden in alleymomnuttDined on 7/14/2014Interesting decor. Took 13 year old granddaughter and mid 20's nephew for lunch. She said burger was very good he thought the bean burger was good. I had a turkey sandwich, bread was dry. After looking over menu thought lunch suited our group better. Very attractive front of restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentikzyDined on 7/9/2014Excellent food and ambience. Very romantic, good for special occasions. Beautiful restaurant and decor. Love the alleyway when you enter the restaurant. The devils on horseback appetizer is phenomenal and you must order it, also the artichoke dip and the mussels. I made reservations for 6 people, and they wouldn't seat us because the whole party had not arrived. I personally think they should still seat you because you end up waiting awkwardly at the bar. After fighting with them, they seated me, which i think was good customer service.Special Features:
- shanghailanderDined on 7/5/2014too dark for a 615PM summer booking - my fault... tables are tiny - but the food was excellent, especially the chicken. The Californian rose came from a bottle that had been opened a little too long. server kindly gave another alternative on the house (or her?) after I mentioned this (and had finished it). all in all great spot and you can see why it has been successful for so long. I will be back - happily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved this placeMAC1VIPDined on 7/5/2014Interior is very cool. Food and service excellent. We would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal!ChoosyEaterDined on 6/28/2014Went here for a Brunch with a large group and had a great time! When we first entered I was a little taken back by the small space but when we were taken to our table we were shown to the second floor and to a very comfortable dining space! Servers were very attentive and made excellent recommendations as well as asked the kitchen when we had a few guest with food restrictions. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Interesting Location and Great FoodGoodEatsTCDined on 6/22/2014At the end of a little alley is Freemans. Open the door to the quaint little front and a candlelit dining split into several rooms give the feeling of a bit of privacy and a bit of mystery to the place. The food was a bit on the smaller portion size for us midwesterners, but everything was very good and well worth the $$$.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite new find!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/18/2014Great restaurant. Tucked away from the hustle of the city in the Bowery area. My friend recommended it and it was first time for both of us. Our sandwitches were great . I will have to go back for dinner.Special Features:
- Love the charm of Freeman'sNewyorkerVIPDined on 6/13/2014I can't say enough about this place. It seems like there is such a story behind it. The warmth and charm of the decor, the staff and the food keep me coming back. I love to take people here that have never been. They are always impressed. Top notch as always. They have a wonderful brunch that is worth trying. Ask to be seated in the upstairs middle room. My favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you, Freemans!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014Freemans was perfect for brunch with friends we haven't seen in forever. The hipster hunting lodge ambiance was great; the service was accommodating, generous, and on point. The brunch was very good -- I will be back for lunch or dinner to try some dishes that are a little more adventurous. The artichoke dip is as good as everyone says it is.Special Features: