Fred's Not Here
321 King Street West
Toronto, ON M5V 1J5Neighborhood:
Downtown / Entertainment District
SteakhousePrice: CAN$30 and under
Fred's Not Here
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.fredsnothere.com/
- Phone: 4169719155
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30 AM - 2:30 PM.
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM, Friday - Saturday: 5:00 PM - 11:00 PM, Sunday: 5:00 PM - 11:00 PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Huy Truong
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining
A word from Fred's Not Here
Casual Bistro located in the heart of Entertainment District specialize in wood grilled steaks & lobster. Certified Angus, USDA Prime and Ontario Dry Aged Beef grilled over Canada"s first commercial indoor hickory & oak fired pellet char-broilerContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Fred's Not Here reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (30)fit for foodies (25)good for groups (24)neighborhood gem (21)special occasion (20)great for outdoor dining (12)romantic (12)hot spot (12)late-night find (7)great for brunch (5)notable wine list (4)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- used to be betterlovefoodDined on 9/5/2014Food was over salted and not as good as I rememberSpecial Features:
- food was good, service was greatjacksVIPDined on 8/9/2014beef brisket was a tad salty with too much sauce. the blackened salmon was excellent though. sat next to a big group of drunks, wasn't very pleasing. not the restaurant's fault though. the service was great.Special Features:
- Great Summerlicious Food!jandineoutDined on 7/20/2014My friend and I dined at Fred’s Not Here during Summerlicious. Food and service were exceptional. We both enjoyed their “famous” lobster and crab soup. My wood grilled steak w/ garlic mushrooms was tender, tasty and cooked to perfection. My friend also enjoyed her duck confit. We will be back for more!Special Features:
- 7out of 10SummerliousDined on 7/19/2014I've been to Fred's not here before. My salmon was okay. No seasoning. The group I went with everyone else's food was Amazing tasted and looked good too. Just don't order salmon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just meh.DinergirlDined on 7/19/2014I went here with my boyfriend for Summerlicious this year. I was expecting many great things since I had read so many great reviews, but I was severely disappointed with what I received from dining here. I love seafood so I had the lobster and crab soup for my app which I had very high expectations for because I had heard such rave reviews about it. It looked gorgeous, but lacked a lot of flavour and my biscuit was soggy. My bf had the sausage and calamari which was undercooked and under seasoned. We had the steak and lobster&mussel linguine for our mains. Tiny steak and tiny mussels which were not cleaned properly. Also, our waitress was very inattentive and could not be found when we needed her. Overall, very disappointed.Special Features:
- Really enjoyed it!YaYaDined on 7/19/2014We really enjoyed the food and were impressed by the great service! Would definite return to this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014I went there for summerlicious and the food was pretty good. However the steak was a bit chewy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and great atmosphere!punchkonesDined on 7/18/2014Enjoyed a Summerlicious menu dinner here, it was absolutely amazing food, even better service, and we left feeling exceptionally content. We were a bit late for dinner, the restaurant was extremely accommodating, held the table for an extra half hour for us, and the service did not suffer whatsoever when we arrived. Very friendly waiter, and again - delicious food!Special Features:
- Good placecindyDined on 7/18/2014I really like the stake in Fred's not here. I order medium raw, OMG its soooooo good!!! I would recommend this to my friend and my family. I think my faterh will like this too! Hope you always make amazing stake for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food! Great service!YYZdwellerDined on 7/18/2014I took my girlfriend to 'Fred's Not Here' on a recommendation. Service was friendly, fast and efficient. The food was delicious and the portions spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steak & Pork Belly!francoeatDined on 7/17/2014Dined at Fred’s Not Here for the first time last week not knowing it was Summerlicious time. The restaurant was packed, busy and noisy. I ordered the Wood Grilled 20oz. Dry-Aged Cowboy Rib Steak from the regular menu and my wife ordered their famous Baked Lobster & Crab Soup and Crispy Pork Belly w/ Steamed Clams & Chorizo Couscous from the Summerlicious menu. The steak was cooked to perfection and my wife enjoyed her meal. Service was excellent considering how busy they were with Summerlicious business. I will return to Fred’s Not Here but not during Winterlicious or Summerlicious.Special Features:
- Good but can be BetterFisheeeDined on 7/17/2014Went to Fred's Not Here for Summerlicious with my best friend. I had the famous Lobster & Crab soup, it is just a broth and quite spicy & salty. But I love the puff. The main entrée is sole filet. It was ok for the fish. But my friend has the steak ( medium rare), it was a bit over cooked, she said a bit tough. The portion size for the dessert is for kids (may be not even), my friend just finish a Berry Shortcake with 3 spoon...... Overall, good but can be better!!!!!Special Features:
- SumerliciouscallmedebVIPDined on 7/17/2014Group of 6 went to partake from their Summerlicious menu. First off - this is the best SL menu I have ever seen when it comes to choices. The food came quickly and was, across the board, fabulous! Awesome waiter too. I plan on coming back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/14/2014maybe because it was summerlicous but service was very quick---in and out in under 1 hour for dinner which is not at all relaxing!!Special Features:
- Nothing stood outJayTorontoDined on 7/13/2014Went to Fred's Not Here for Summerlicious, so things may be different during their normal times. The service was okay, but throughout the dinner I found the wait staff huddled around the back corner standing around chatting. It was difficult to get their attention when needed. I had the wonton's to start, followed by the steak. The wonton's were bland, only to be saved by the sauce they drizzled on top. The steak was just a bit over cooked - both mine and that of my friend's were like that. The quality of meat also wasn't that great, granted it was a NY strip, but I wish it wasn't as lean as it was. Overall, nothing put me off, but there was nothing spectacular about the place either.
- Came for lunch, we loved it!!!WanderingmotherDined on 7/13/2014Crisp skin on the blackened salmon but, more importantly to me, it was super moist! My husband had the sole fillet and fully enjoyed everything on his plate. My daughters' boyfriend ordered the steak, medium rare (came medium-well, just a little pink in the middle) but he still enjoyed it. We all ordered the lobster bisque, we loved the pepperiness. One tiny comment. The crust did not fully puff up on any of ours. Top later crisp, lower were soggy. Each of us had a different dessert and we all were happy with our choice. This was our first time here. We chose to come because we liked the menu. The service was excellent, our waiter seemed to come at the right time. We would definitely come again and I would recommend your restaurant highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2eatluv2eatDined on 7/11/2014Lunch was a pleasure! Lobster and crab soup (a broth only) very tasty especially with the puff pastry atop the bowl. Steak frites good and steak done to perfection. Our server was knowledgeable and most pleasant. Dessert was simple - sorbet and petite wedge of chocolate cheese cake. Nondescript on both counts.Special Features:
- ItsjanetDined on 7/10/2014I have been to Fred's about 6-8 times and I have never ever been disappointed. I love the variety of meals that they have for Summerlicious. Most restaurants only offer 3 appetizers, 3 entrees and 3 desserts while Fred's offered at least 6 entrees so there is always a great selection of food.Special Features:
- beaverandbunnyeatDined on 7/10/2014The grilled striploin ordered from the Summerlicious menu had a grainy texture which we only took a few bites off before we traded it in for roast beef. The famous baked lobster and crab soup was delicious but the bread part was a little sour. The dessert were very ordinary sorbet and chocolate icecream with a few caramelized popcorn. The service and ambience were average. Overall, we did not think that it was worth the $35.
- Not on par with previous visitsRustyDined on 7/9/2014Have always enjoyed the food and ambiance at Fred's Not Here but this time the food wasn't up to par. Not sure if this was because the kitchen was rushed (it was Summerlicious after all). My appetizer, Grilled Calamari, was just so-so and the New York steak was quite chewy and stringy (as was my husband's). However, others in our group truly enjoyed their meal (especially my daughter who loved her Prime Rib). Will probably go again just to make sure this wasn't a one-off disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fred should be hereUnderwhelmedDined on 7/8/2014.. because he is missing out! Went for summerlicious '14 for dinner - and it was fantastic!
- okay but not greatcoldpineapplesDined on 7/7/2014Came here for summerlicious. Of course, their famous baked lobster and crab soup was good, but it wasn't anything out of this world. The ramekins our soup was served to us in were also dirty... Anyway, had the steak as an entree and it was a below average cut of meat. Dessert was most disappointing; half a scoop of ice cream and chocolate drizzle, are you kidding me?! Service was also mediocre. Bottom line: It's an average place, but not anything more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- servicekitcatDined on 7/6/2014The food was great. Service was great until we had to pay the bill. Server seemed upset when we asked for separate billing. They did not provide that option at the beginningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best lobster bisque I've had!ShannieDined on 7/5/2014Service and ambience- Nice restaurant for a casual get together with friends. The front host/waiter was a tad rude when we showed up early for a reservations. He shooed us away saying absolutely no tables yet. No offer for us to wait at the bar or a courteous please come back later. The waiter we had once we were seated was much better. Food- Lobster bisque was flavorful with a bit of spice. The pastry was top notch. Steak- ask for it a level down from what you like. " if you like medium rare as for it rare". Aside from taht flavor was good Dessert- it tasted good nothing out of the ordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of TownerDCtravellerDined on 6/29/2014Food is good but not exceptional. Prices are fair. Service is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mirvish Dinner PackageHeatherBDined on 6/27/2014Had a lovely 3-course dinner part of the Mirvish dinner package. Sadly I didn't get our servers name but he was fantastic. Really took joy in his job and didn't hesitate to give an opinion/recommendation on our choices. For that alone I really enjoyed this place. The food is good, I would recommend that curry with coconut rice. My boyfriend had the steak which he was happy with. I would recommend this place for a date night. Prices are reasonable.Special Features:
- I was expecting a little moreChristianKeelerDined on 6/14/2014Fred's not here is a very good restaurant. The service might have been the best I've ever had. I was let down by the steaks a bit. Very good quality meat, but it lacked a bit on the flavour end. Definitely tasted wood grilled...but not like much else.Special Features:
- Excellent food & service!Actor62Dined on 6/13/2014Really enjoyed our dinner out at this restaurant. It was my wife's birthday and we had a special dinner to celebrate. I would recommend the lobster/crab soup with the puff pastry. I had a steak and my wife had the seafood paella. The seafood included lobster which was as good as any we have had freshly cooked at a seafood restaurant. Sometimes when it is part of a dish like this it is not so good. Lots of choices for wine and deserts.Special Features:
- Another place to eatBobManDined on 6/10/2014Simply ok, nothing special, a cut above Applebee's. The three rib pork chop must have come from an odd mutant pig where the other two ribs were missing, poor pig or poor me not understanding that a three rib pork chop is actually only one rib. The service was good the food ok, the price moderately high for what you get. Bottom line I wouldn't go back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014good food, good atmosphere near theatre nice area for walkingSpecial Features:
- The following 238 reviews are from the Fred's Not Here reviews archive.
- YummyDined on 5/15/2014Good food, good service. Will be back for more! A very enjoyable theatre dinner.Special Features:
- Great for the theatre-goerNicolaDined on 5/9/2014Fantastic service. Prompt, attentive and thoughtful. Appetizers were spot-on. Ceasar salad and lobster/crab soup were delicious. Mains were good however the 10 oz steak was siting on a plate with large pupils of oil (from the veg?). Offer made by server to take and replace was declined by diner. Tasted great. Frites were crispy and hot. All in all a good dining experience.Special Features:
- Company LuncheonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014We were in Toronto for a convention and had made reservations online which was great and convenient- the reservation was confirmed promptly and the lunch went great - food was good - service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre theatre mealFood4thoughtDined on 5/3/2014Freds Not Here is always consistent with delicious food ... Nice presentation, knowledgable waiter, and great selection of food choices. They have a great fixed price menu with appetizer and main with something for everyone. They are known for their steaks, but fish is a great meal too. Make sure to try the lobster/crab soup - its pretty special and great tasting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good pre Show dinnerFoodwestDined on 4/26/2014AN excellent location for a pre show dinner. The food was very good and service excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls Night OutToinetteDined on 4/4/2014The food was amazing. I have been to this restaurant a few times, but I always make sure I have something different on the menu every time. I even had dessert (which is unusual) - normally too full to have dessert, but this time was different..Great service, yummy food (very delicious and the temperature was perfect) and great location. Definitely will keep coming back.Special Features:
- Just an Average SteakhouseHappyhrqueenVIPDined on 3/22/2014The name caught my eye as well as the location. I felt the steaks were that of an average steak house. Nothing was amazing or exceptional in my view. Even the wine list did not strike me as appealing.
- Good for quick meal priorJC01Dined on 3/20/2014Good for quick meal prior to theatre or symphony - simple, reasonable food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with ColleaguesZekeDined on 3/3/2014Several colleagues and I had dinner at Fred's Not Here one night during a conference. All aspects of our dinner were exceptional. Our server was very polite and attentive. Our food was delicious, we all had steak which was tender and flavourful, and there was enough space for the six of us to feel comfortable at the table. The noise level was low enough that we could easy speak across and down the table to everyone. I would recommend you make reservations for Fred's Not Here if you plan on having a larger party since space can be limited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Experience!KarsDined on 3/1/2014I used to be in the restaurant business and am extra critical of service and food. The service was incredible. Best I've had ever in Toronto. No exaggeration. The food was outstanding. Everything was above spectacular. It was hard to leave!Special Features: