Fred's Not Here
321 King Street West
Toronto, ON M5V 1J5Neighborhood:
Downtown / Entertainment District
SteakhousePrice: CAN$30 and under
Fred's Not Here
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.fredsnothere.com/
- Phone: 4169719155
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30 AM - 2:30 PM.
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM, Friday - Saturday: 5:00 PM - 11:00 PM, Sunday: 5:00 PM - 11:00 PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Huy Truong
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining
A word from Fred's Not Here
Casual Bistro located in the heart of Entertainment District specialize in wood grilled steaks & lobster. Certified Angus, USDA Prime and Ontario Dry Aged Beef grilled over Canada"s first commercial indoor hickory & oak fired pellet char-broilerContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Fred's Not Here reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (31)good for groups (30)fit for foodies (26)neighborhood gem (24)special occasion (22)romantic (15)hot spot (13)great for outdoor dining (11)late-night find (6)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (3)notable wine list (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Good experience!Jw13Dined on 10/6/2014Went to Fred's Not Here for gf's bday dinner. Overall a good experience. Went on a Monday night and lucky that they had free wine corking, so we brought our own bottle. Called ahead to let them know to prepare a dessert with candle for the occasion and they successfully passed the message to our waitress. Food was fantastic and large portions (didn't expect that). Only issue I had was our waitress was kind of snappy and at one time, took away our soup that we were still working on. I asked my gf is she was finished and the waitress replied its finished as she took it away. But it wasn't finished. Still, she got nicer as the night went on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NicNakDined on 10/4/2014Many of my friends have recommended this place. It met my expectations in both good food and excellent service! Our waiter was very cognizant that we had theatre tickets after dinner and got our meal to us as quickly as possible. My steak was done exactly the way I like it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steaks & Seafood!ShirleyEatsDined on 9/27/2014My husband and enjoyed the $29 two-course menu. My arctic char filet was fresh, tasty and cooked perfectly. My husband also enjoyed his NY steak w/ wild mushrooms and duck fat fries. Service was hectic as they were very busy. We will be back! Good value two course menu.....Special Features:
- Great Scallops!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014I dined here last Saturday with my wife; I was pleasantly surprised to see my dentist and his wife enjoying Fred’s famous lobster soup. My wife and I ordered the sea scallops and seafood paella and it was excellent! I have not visited Fred’s Not Here in many years; I find the food as delicious as it was when it first opened when I used to work in downtown. We will definitely be back soon.Special Features:
- Excellent Paella!francoeatDined on 9/26/2014Very tasty lobster seafood paella and blackened prime rib... Very busy restaurant, not a place for quiet dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Burger!brandytravelsDined on 9/26/2014I enjoyed the house blend kobe and brisket blue label burger w/ truffle frites...My husband enjoyed the crispy pork belly with clams & couscous. We will be back, great value, service and food.Special Features:
- 2fortheshowDined on 9/25/2014Great spot for something to eat before a show at the Princess of Wales Theatre. A little pricey considering the food was good, not great and the ambiance was not great either. Nice, good food, good service. 😊I would recommend this to a friend.
- What has happened to Fred's???TornativeDined on 9/23/2014I was a regular (20 yrs ago) so I was disappointed by my most recent pre-theatre dinner at Fred's. We arrived 6ish on a Thurs night & it was almost empty. The host didn't seem interested when I told him I made a reservation. He was irritated that I asked to sit on the sidewalk patio (which was half empty). He just grunted. Server was a beautiful young lady who was very friendly and accommodating. My friend ordered a spicy curry dish & said it was very good. I opted for 2 appetizers: the lobster/crab bisque w/pastry topping was good. The simple salad I ordered was inedible. The spring mix was slimy and/or wilted and I asked the waitress to take it back to the kitchen. She did not offer to replace it, but removed it from the bill.
- AwesomeIppy4130Dined on 9/20/2014Great food and service. Our food was brought out at perfect timing. Our waiter was very friendly and helpful. Can't wait to go back. Great spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- used to be betterlovefoodDined on 9/5/2014Food was over salted and not as good as I rememberSpecial Features:
- food was good, service was greatjacksVIPDined on 8/9/2014beef brisket was a tad salty with too much sauce. the blackened salmon was excellent though. sat next to a big group of drunks, wasn't very pleasing. not the restaurant's fault though. the service was great.Special Features:
- Great Summerlicious Food!jandineoutDined on 7/20/2014My friend and I dined at Fred’s Not Here during Summerlicious. Food and service were exceptional. We both enjoyed their “famous” lobster and crab soup. My wood grilled steak w/ garlic mushrooms was tender, tasty and cooked to perfection. My friend also enjoyed her duck confit. We will be back for more!Special Features:
- 7out of 10SummerliousDined on 7/19/2014I've been to Fred's not here before. My salmon was okay. No seasoning. The group I went with everyone else's food was Amazing tasted and looked good too. Just don't order salmon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just meh.DinergirlDined on 7/19/2014I went here with my boyfriend for Summerlicious this year. I was expecting many great things since I had read so many great reviews, but I was severely disappointed with what I received from dining here. I love seafood so I had the lobster and crab soup for my app which I had very high expectations for because I had heard such rave reviews about it. It looked gorgeous, but lacked a lot of flavour and my biscuit was soggy. My bf had the sausage and calamari which was undercooked and under seasoned. We had the steak and lobster&mussel linguine for our mains. Tiny steak and tiny mussels which were not cleaned properly. Also, our waitress was very inattentive and could not be found when we needed her. Overall, very disappointed.Special Features:
- Really enjoyed it!YaYaDined on 7/19/2014We really enjoyed the food and were impressed by the great service! Would definite return to this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014I went there for summerlicious and the food was pretty good. However the steak was a bit chewy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and great atmosphere!punchkonesDined on 7/18/2014Enjoyed a Summerlicious menu dinner here, it was absolutely amazing food, even better service, and we left feeling exceptionally content. We were a bit late for dinner, the restaurant was extremely accommodating, held the table for an extra half hour for us, and the service did not suffer whatsoever when we arrived. Very friendly waiter, and again - delicious food!Special Features:
- Good placecindyDined on 7/18/2014I really like the stake in Fred's not here. I order medium raw, OMG its soooooo good!!! I would recommend this to my friend and my family. I think my faterh will like this too! Hope you always make amazing stake for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food! Great service!YYZdwellerDined on 7/18/2014I took my girlfriend to 'Fred's Not Here' on a recommendation. Service was friendly, fast and efficient. The food was delicious and the portions spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steak & Pork Belly!francoeatDined on 7/17/2014Dined at Fred’s Not Here for the first time last week not knowing it was Summerlicious time. The restaurant was packed, busy and noisy. I ordered the Wood Grilled 20oz. Dry-Aged Cowboy Rib Steak from the regular menu and my wife ordered their famous Baked Lobster & Crab Soup and Crispy Pork Belly w/ Steamed Clams & Chorizo Couscous from the Summerlicious menu. The steak was cooked to perfection and my wife enjoyed her meal. Service was excellent considering how busy they were with Summerlicious business. I will return to Fred’s Not Here but not during Winterlicious or Summerlicious.Special Features:
- Good but can be BetterFisheeeDined on 7/17/2014Went to Fred's Not Here for Summerlicious with my best friend. I had the famous Lobster & Crab soup, it is just a broth and quite spicy & salty. But I love the puff. The main entrée is sole filet. It was ok for the fish. But my friend has the steak ( medium rare), it was a bit over cooked, she said a bit tough. The portion size for the dessert is for kids (may be not even), my friend just finish a Berry Shortcake with 3 spoon...... Overall, good but can be better!!!!!Special Features:
- SumerliciouscallmedebVIPDined on 7/17/2014Group of 6 went to partake from their Summerlicious menu. First off - this is the best SL menu I have ever seen when it comes to choices. The food came quickly and was, across the board, fabulous! Awesome waiter too. I plan on coming back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/14/2014maybe because it was summerlicous but service was very quick---in and out in under 1 hour for dinner which is not at all relaxing!!Special Features:
- Nothing stood outJayTorontoDined on 7/13/2014Went to Fred's Not Here for Summerlicious, so things may be different during their normal times. The service was okay, but throughout the dinner I found the wait staff huddled around the back corner standing around chatting. It was difficult to get their attention when needed. I had the wonton's to start, followed by the steak. The wonton's were bland, only to be saved by the sauce they drizzled on top. The steak was just a bit over cooked - both mine and that of my friend's were like that. The quality of meat also wasn't that great, granted it was a NY strip, but I wish it wasn't as lean as it was. Overall, nothing put me off, but there was nothing spectacular about the place either.
- Came for lunch, we loved it!!!WanderingmotherDined on 7/13/2014Crisp skin on the blackened salmon but, more importantly to me, it was super moist! My husband had the sole fillet and fully enjoyed everything on his plate. My daughters' boyfriend ordered the steak, medium rare (came medium-well, just a little pink in the middle) but he still enjoyed it. We all ordered the lobster bisque, we loved the pepperiness. One tiny comment. The crust did not fully puff up on any of ours. Top later crisp, lower were soggy. Each of us had a different dessert and we all were happy with our choice. This was our first time here. We chose to come because we liked the menu. The service was excellent, our waiter seemed to come at the right time. We would definitely come again and I would recommend your restaurant highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2eatluv2eatDined on 7/11/2014Lunch was a pleasure! Lobster and crab soup (a broth only) very tasty especially with the puff pastry atop the bowl. Steak frites good and steak done to perfection. Our server was knowledgeable and most pleasant. Dessert was simple - sorbet and petite wedge of chocolate cheese cake. Nondescript on both counts.Special Features:
- ItsjanetDined on 7/10/2014I have been to Fred's about 6-8 times and I have never ever been disappointed. I love the variety of meals that they have for Summerlicious. Most restaurants only offer 3 appetizers, 3 entrees and 3 desserts while Fred's offered at least 6 entrees so there is always a great selection of food.Special Features:
- beaverandbunnyeatDined on 7/10/2014The grilled striploin ordered from the Summerlicious menu had a grainy texture which we only took a few bites off before we traded it in for roast beef. The famous baked lobster and crab soup was delicious but the bread part was a little sour. The dessert were very ordinary sorbet and chocolate icecream with a few caramelized popcorn. The service and ambience were average. Overall, we did not think that it was worth the $35.
- Not on par with previous visitsRustyDined on 7/9/2014Have always enjoyed the food and ambiance at Fred's Not Here but this time the food wasn't up to par. Not sure if this was because the kitchen was rushed (it was Summerlicious after all). My appetizer, Grilled Calamari, was just so-so and the New York steak was quite chewy and stringy (as was my husband's). However, others in our group truly enjoyed their meal (especially my daughter who loved her Prime Rib). Will probably go again just to make sure this wasn't a one-off disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fred should be hereUnderwhelmedDined on 7/8/2014.. because he is missing out! Went for summerlicious '14 for dinner - and it was fantastic!
- okay but not greatcoldpineapplesDined on 7/7/2014Came here for summerlicious. Of course, their famous baked lobster and crab soup was good, but it wasn't anything out of this world. The ramekins our soup was served to us in were also dirty... Anyway, had the steak as an entree and it was a below average cut of meat. Dessert was most disappointing; half a scoop of ice cream and chocolate drizzle, are you kidding me?! Service was also mediocre. Bottom line: It's an average place, but not anything more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- servicekitcatDined on 7/6/2014The food was great. Service was great until we had to pay the bill. Server seemed upset when we asked for separate billing. They did not provide that option at the beginningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best lobster bisque I've had!ShannieDined on 7/5/2014Service and ambience- Nice restaurant for a casual get together with friends. The front host/waiter was a tad rude when we showed up early for a reservations. He shooed us away saying absolutely no tables yet. No offer for us to wait at the bar or a courteous please come back later. The waiter we had once we were seated was much better. Food- Lobster bisque was flavorful with a bit of spice. The pastry was top notch. Steak- ask for it a level down from what you like. " if you like medium rare as for it rare". Aside from taht flavor was good Dessert- it tasted good nothing out of the ordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of TownerDCtravellerDined on 6/29/2014Food is good but not exceptional. Prices are fair. Service is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mirvish Dinner PackageHeatherBDined on 6/27/2014Had a lovely 3-course dinner part of the Mirvish dinner package. Sadly I didn't get our servers name but he was fantastic. Really took joy in his job and didn't hesitate to give an opinion/recommendation on our choices. For that alone I really enjoyed this place. The food is good, I would recommend that curry with coconut rice. My boyfriend had the steak which he was happy with. I would recommend this place for a date night. Prices are reasonable.Special Features:
- The following 242 reviews are from the Fred's Not Here reviews archive.
- I was expecting a little moreChristianKeelerDined on 6/14/2014Fred's not here is a very good restaurant. The service might have been the best I've ever had. I was let down by the steaks a bit. Very good quality meat, but it lacked a bit on the flavour end. Definitely tasted wood grilled...but not like much else.Special Features:
- Excellent food & service!Actor62Dined on 6/13/2014Really enjoyed our dinner out at this restaurant. It was my wife's birthday and we had a special dinner to celebrate. I would recommend the lobster/crab soup with the puff pastry. I had a steak and my wife had the seafood paella. The seafood included lobster which was as good as any we have had freshly cooked at a seafood restaurant. Sometimes when it is part of a dish like this it is not so good. Lots of choices for wine and deserts.Special Features:
- Another place to eatBobManDined on 6/10/2014Simply ok, nothing special, a cut above Applebee's. The three rib pork chop must have come from an odd mutant pig where the other two ribs were missing, poor pig or poor me not understanding that a three rib pork chop is actually only one rib. The service was good the food ok, the price moderately high for what you get. Bottom line I wouldn't go back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014good food, good atmosphere near theatre nice area for walkingSpecial Features:
- YummyDined on 5/15/2014Good food, good service. Will be back for more! A very enjoyable theatre dinner.Special Features: