Fred's Not Here
321 King Street West
Toronto, ON M5V 1J5Neighborhood:
Downtown / Entertainment District
SteakhousePrice: CAN$30 and under
Fred's Not Here
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.fredsnothere.com/
- Phone: (416) 971-9155
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30 AM - 2:30 PM.
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM, Friday - Saturday: 5:00 PM - 11:00 PM, Sunday: 5:00 PM - 11:00 PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Huy Truong
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining
A word from Fred's Not Here
Casual Bistro located in the heart of Entertainment District specialize in wood grilled steaks & lobster. Certified Angus, USDA Prime and Ontario Dry Aged Beef grilled over Canada"s first commercial indoor hickory & oak fired pellet char-broilerContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Fred's Not Here reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (15)neighborhood gem (10)romantic (9)fit for foodies (9)hot spot (5)special occasion (4)great for lunch (3)late-night find (3)notable wine list (2)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Good food, but service can do with an UpgradeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/22/2014Saturday night dinner at Fred's Not Here. Great variety on the menu and the food is good. But the service was less than stellar. Our waitress seemed to be rushing us and almost throwing the plates on the table. And when it came time to bus the dishes, she stacked them right in front of us - total church league. As soon as we finished desert, the check was on the table. It would have been nice if we were asked if we wanted anything else, which btw, I did.
- i out of 3 is not good!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2014We have been to Fred's Not Here many times over many years and have always had consistently good meals and service. However this past Saturday we had lunch with friends and were disappointed, in particular, with our service. When we were seated our friend asked if he could have some bread right away as they had travelled far and were hungry, Our server said that wasn't possible as there was no bread for lunch as that was a supper serve. We showed her the menu which offered a variety of sandwiches, and said anyone of those breads would be fine but she said that didn't matter the bread was for sandwiches not for a pre lunch appetizer. Ok... we decided not to argue and went on to order the rest of the meal. The lobster and crab soup, a speciality of this restaurant was very good as always, but I would have enjoyed it more if I had been allowed to finish it. I put my spoon down to get something from my purse and the soup was gone! Again, we decided not to say anything as the server was getting a little snarky with us, we assume because we had questioned her regarding the bread. I had the grilled chicken on ciabatta but was unable to eat it as a sandwich because the ciabatta was soaked. My husband's meal was ok but not up to their unusual standards, our 2 friends had no complaints regarding their meals. When it came to coffee, our friend asked for a cappuccino, and asked that it be hot, rather than warm as it is traditionally served. Our server then countered with, "Well, I'll just bring it cold then."" By this time, we started to find the whole thing funny, we could not win with this woman! Eating at a restaurant, I feel, is comprised of 3 main components: the food, the service and the atmosphere... Fred's Not Here is beginning to wane in 2 of these areas. Or... perhaps they feel that having been a mainstay on King St West for as long as they have, they don't have to try anymore!
- 3e visiteSYLCDDined on 11/15/2014Lors de la premiere visite j'etais avec notre equipe du bureau. J'ai pris la Paela au homard qui etait divine. J'y suis revenue avec mon mari l'an dernier pour manger de la Paela qui etait toujours aussi bonne. Cette annee nous avons fait le voyage de Montreal avec des amis specialement pour la Paela. Elle etait tres bonne mais pas exceptionnelle comme les deux autres fois. Lors de ma prochaine visite a Toronto j'irai peut-etre a nouveau, mais ce ne sera pas le but de mon voyage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingLondonGirlDined on 11/1/2014Fred's used to be ione of my go to restos but I found the last visit disappointing. The menu seemed unimaginitive, I had difficulty finding something to select and 3 of the 6 diners found their meals so-so. The service was good and the restaurant was buzzing but I left unimpressed.
- Great pre-theatre dinner on King WGuru4travelDined on 10/25/2014The baked lobster and crab soup with baked puff pastry crust is unbelievable and unique culinary experienceSpecial Features:
- Tinshin1Dined on 10/23/2014Food say very good and service was great and quick.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegetarians Beware!LanceDined on 10/23/2014The four of us decided to go here for dinner before seeing Book of Mormon across the street. I had not eaten here for over 20 years. The ambiance is nice and it was nearly filled to capacity but still pretty quiet. Good drink list and lots of different (and plenty of) bread in the basket. Our server was really nice but the set menu had no vegetarian substitutes and he didn't even apologize for the fact or try to do anything about it. There were three veggie options on the menu but when I had decided on one I was told that it was no longer available. So I had to go with a different item which wasn't very good. There were multiple spelling mistakes in the menu (Larger instead of Lager - come on!). It will be another 20 years until I return.Special Features:
- Still good!Love2EatDined on 10/22/2014We were going to a show and booked a table at Fred's Not Here. The last time we were here was over 20 years ago. Wanted to try a new restaurant but settled here because it was close to the theatre. We were not disappointed. The service was very good - very attentive and the waiter was very accommodating with changes we wanted to make to our entrees. The food arrived quickly and was very good although my brisket was a tad on the dry side, otherwise everything was tasty and cooked perfectly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experience!Jw13Dined on 10/6/2014Went to Fred's Not Here for gf's bday dinner. Overall a good experience. Went on a Monday night and lucky that they had free wine corking, so we brought our own bottle. Called ahead to let them know to prepare a dessert with candle for the occasion and they successfully passed the message to our waitress. Food was fantastic and large portions (didn't expect that). Only issue I had was our waitress was kind of snappy and at one time, took away our soup that we were still working on. I asked my gf is she was finished and the waitress replied its finished as she took it away. But it wasn't finished. Still, she got nicer as the night went on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NicNakDined on 10/4/2014Many of my friends have recommended this place. It met my expectations in both good food and excellent service! Our waiter was very cognizant that we had theatre tickets after dinner and got our meal to us as quickly as possible. My steak was done exactly the way I like it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steaks & Seafood!ShirleyEatsDined on 9/27/2014My husband and enjoyed the $29 two-course menu. My arctic char filet was fresh, tasty and cooked perfectly. My husband also enjoyed his NY steak w/ wild mushrooms and duck fat fries. Service was hectic as they were very busy. We will be back! Good value two course menu.....Special Features:
- Great Scallops!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014I dined here last Saturday with my wife; I was pleasantly surprised to see my dentist and his wife enjoying Fred’s famous lobster soup. My wife and I ordered the sea scallops and seafood paella and it was excellent! I have not visited Fred’s Not Here in many years; I find the food as delicious as it was when it first opened when I used to work in downtown. We will definitely be back soon.Special Features:
- Excellent Paella!francoeatDined on 9/26/2014Very tasty lobster seafood paella and blackened prime rib... Very busy restaurant, not a place for quiet dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Burger!brandytravelsDined on 9/26/2014I enjoyed the house blend kobe and brisket blue label burger w/ truffle frites...My husband enjoyed the crispy pork belly with clams & couscous. We will be back, great value, service and food.Special Features:
- 2fortheshowDined on 9/25/2014Great spot for something to eat before a show at the Princess of Wales Theatre. A little pricey considering the food was good, not great and the ambiance was not great either. Nice, good food, good service. 😊I would recommend this to a friend.
- What has happened to Fred's???TornativeDined on 9/23/2014I was a regular (20 yrs ago) so I was disappointed by my most recent pre-theatre dinner at Fred's. We arrived 6ish on a Thurs night & it was almost empty. The host didn't seem interested when I told him I made a reservation. He was irritated that I asked to sit on the sidewalk patio (which was half empty). He just grunted. Server was a beautiful young lady who was very friendly and accommodating. My friend ordered a spicy curry dish & said it was very good. I opted for 2 appetizers: the lobster/crab bisque w/pastry topping was good. The simple salad I ordered was inedible. The spring mix was slimy and/or wilted and I asked the waitress to take it back to the kitchen. She did not offer to replace it, but removed it from the bill.
- AwesomeIppy4130Dined on 9/20/2014Great food and service. Our food was brought out at perfect timing. Our waiter was very friendly and helpful. Can't wait to go back. Great spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- used to be betterlovefoodDined on 9/5/2014Food was over salted and not as good as I rememberSpecial Features:
- food was good, service was greatjacksVIPDined on 8/9/2014beef brisket was a tad salty with too much sauce. the blackened salmon was excellent though. sat next to a big group of drunks, wasn't very pleasing. not the restaurant's fault though. the service was great.Special Features:
- The following 266 reviews are from the Fred's Not Here reviews archive.
- Great Summerlicious Food!jandineoutDined on 7/20/2014My friend and I dined at Fred’s Not Here during Summerlicious. Food and service were exceptional. We both enjoyed their “famous” lobster and crab soup. My wood grilled steak w/ garlic mushrooms was tender, tasty and cooked to perfection. My friend also enjoyed her duck confit. We will be back for more!Special Features:
- 7out of 10SummerliousDined on 7/19/2014I've been to Fred's not here before. My salmon was okay. No seasoning. The group I went with everyone else's food was Amazing tasted and looked good too. Just don't order salmon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just meh.DinergirlDined on 7/19/2014I went here with my boyfriend for Summerlicious this year. I was expecting many great things since I had read so many great reviews, but I was severely disappointed with what I received from dining here. I love seafood so I had the lobster and crab soup for my app which I had very high expectations for because I had heard such rave reviews about it. It looked gorgeous, but lacked a lot of flavour and my biscuit was soggy. My bf had the sausage and calamari which was undercooked and under seasoned. We had the steak and lobster&mussel linguine for our mains. Tiny steak and tiny mussels which were not cleaned properly. Also, our waitress was very inattentive and could not be found when we needed her. Overall, very disappointed.Special Features:
- Really enjoyed it!YaYaVIPDined on 7/19/2014We really enjoyed the food and were impressed by the great service! Would definite return to this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014I went there for summerlicious and the food was pretty good. However the steak was a bit chewy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and great atmosphere!punchkonesDined on 7/18/2014Enjoyed a Summerlicious menu dinner here, it was absolutely amazing food, even better service, and we left feeling exceptionally content. We were a bit late for dinner, the restaurant was extremely accommodating, held the table for an extra half hour for us, and the service did not suffer whatsoever when we arrived. Very friendly waiter, and again - delicious food!Special Features:
- Good placecindyDined on 7/18/2014I really like the stake in Fred's not here. I order medium raw, OMG its soooooo good!!! I would recommend this to my friend and my family. I think my faterh will like this too! Hope you always make amazing stake for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food! Great service!YYZdwellerDined on 7/18/2014I took my girlfriend to 'Fred's Not Here' on a recommendation. Service was friendly, fast and efficient. The food was delicious and the portions spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steak & Pork Belly!francoeatDined on 7/17/2014Dined at Fred’s Not Here for the first time last week not knowing it was Summerlicious time. The restaurant was packed, busy and noisy. I ordered the Wood Grilled 20oz. Dry-Aged Cowboy Rib Steak from the regular menu and my wife ordered their famous Baked Lobster & Crab Soup and Crispy Pork Belly w/ Steamed Clams & Chorizo Couscous from the Summerlicious menu. The steak was cooked to perfection and my wife enjoyed her meal. Service was excellent considering how busy they were with Summerlicious business. I will return to Fred’s Not Here but not during Winterlicious or Summerlicious.Special Features:
- Good but can be BetterFisheeeDined on 7/17/2014Went to Fred's Not Here for Summerlicious with my best friend. I had the famous Lobster & Crab soup, it is just a broth and quite spicy & salty. But I love the puff. The main entrée is sole filet. It was ok for the fish. But my friend has the steak ( medium rare), it was a bit over cooked, she said a bit tough. The portion size for the dessert is for kids (may be not even), my friend just finish a Berry Shortcake with 3 spoon...... Overall, good but can be better!!!!!Special Features:
- SumerliciouscallmedebVIPDined on 7/17/2014Group of 6 went to partake from their Summerlicious menu. First off - this is the best SL menu I have ever seen when it comes to choices. The food came quickly and was, across the board, fabulous! Awesome waiter too. I plan on coming back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/14/2014maybe because it was summerlicous but service was very quick---in and out in under 1 hour for dinner which is not at all relaxing!!Special Features:
- Nothing stood outJayTorontoDined on 7/13/2014Went to Fred's Not Here for Summerlicious, so things may be different during their normal times. The service was okay, but throughout the dinner I found the wait staff huddled around the back corner standing around chatting. It was difficult to get their attention when needed. I had the wonton's to start, followed by the steak. The wonton's were bland, only to be saved by the sauce they drizzled on top. The steak was just a bit over cooked - both mine and that of my friend's were like that. The quality of meat also wasn't that great, granted it was a NY strip, but I wish it wasn't as lean as it was. Overall, nothing put me off, but there was nothing spectacular about the place either.
- Came for lunch, we loved it!!!WanderingmotherDined on 7/13/2014Crisp skin on the blackened salmon but, more importantly to me, it was super moist! My husband had the sole fillet and fully enjoyed everything on his plate. My daughters' boyfriend ordered the steak, medium rare (came medium-well, just a little pink in the middle) but he still enjoyed it. We all ordered the lobster bisque, we loved the pepperiness. One tiny comment. The crust did not fully puff up on any of ours. Top later crisp, lower were soggy. Each of us had a different dessert and we all were happy with our choice. This was our first time here. We chose to come because we liked the menu. The service was excellent, our waiter seemed to come at the right time. We would definitely come again and I would recommend your restaurant highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2eatluv2eatDined on 7/11/2014Lunch was a pleasure! Lobster and crab soup (a broth only) very tasty especially with the puff pastry atop the bowl. Steak frites good and steak done to perfection. Our server was knowledgeable and most pleasant. Dessert was simple - sorbet and petite wedge of chocolate cheese cake. Nondescript on both counts.Special Features:
- ItsjanetDined on 7/10/2014I have been to Fred's about 6-8 times and I have never ever been disappointed. I love the variety of meals that they have for Summerlicious. Most restaurants only offer 3 appetizers, 3 entrees and 3 desserts while Fred's offered at least 6 entrees so there is always a great selection of food.Special Features:
- beaverandbunnyeatDined on 7/10/2014The grilled striploin ordered from the Summerlicious menu had a grainy texture which we only took a few bites off before we traded it in for roast beef. The famous baked lobster and crab soup was delicious but the bread part was a little sour. The dessert were very ordinary sorbet and chocolate icecream with a few caramelized popcorn. The service and ambience were average. Overall, we did not think that it was worth the $35.
- Not on par with previous visitsRustyDined on 7/9/2014Have always enjoyed the food and ambiance at Fred's Not Here but this time the food wasn't up to par. Not sure if this was because the kitchen was rushed (it was Summerlicious after all). My appetizer, Grilled Calamari, was just so-so and the New York steak was quite chewy and stringy (as was my husband's). However, others in our group truly enjoyed their meal (especially my daughter who loved her Prime Rib). Will probably go again just to make sure this wasn't a one-off disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fred should be hereUnderwhelmedDined on 7/8/2014.. because he is missing out! Went for summerlicious '14 for dinner - and it was fantastic!
- okay but not greatcoldpineapplesDined on 7/7/2014Came here for summerlicious. Of course, their famous baked lobster and crab soup was good, but it wasn't anything out of this world. The ramekins our soup was served to us in were also dirty... Anyway, had the steak as an entree and it was a below average cut of meat. Dessert was most disappointing; half a scoop of ice cream and chocolate drizzle, are you kidding me?! Service was also mediocre. Bottom line: It's an average place, but not anything more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- servicekitcatDined on 7/6/2014The food was great. Service was great until we had to pay the bill. Server seemed upset when we asked for separate billing. They did not provide that option at the beginningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.