Fred's at Barneys New York - Madison Avenue
660 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10065Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Fred's at Barneys New York - Madison Avenue
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.barneys.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-BNY-Site/default/Freds-Start
- Phone: 2128332200
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:30pm, Saturday: 11:00am - 5:30pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 6:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Saturday: 5:30pm - 8:00pm; Brunch: Saturday: 11:00am - 1:30pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Alfredo Escobar
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: Off-site catering is available.
- Private Party Contact: Niki Le Bouquin 2128332207
A word from Fred's at Barneys New York - Madison Avenue
Fred's at Barneys New York is a modern day bistro. The brainchild of Fred Pressman, son of Barneys New York founder Barney Pressman, Fred's has something on the menu for everyone. We offer only the best ingredients and use local farm healthy foods. Whether it's lobster bisque, robiola with truffle oil pizza, fresh pastas, Baltimore crab cakes or the nationally famous Mark's Madison Avenue salad, our guest’s appetite for taste and luxury are always satisfied. Located on the ninth floor of our Madison Avenue store, Fred’s is open for lunch and dinner, and brunch on weekends.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Fred's at Barneys New York - Madison Avenue - Best Restaurants in Upper East Side ›
Fred's at Barneys New York - Madison Avenue reviews from OpenTable diners
120 reviews since May 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (85)neighborhood gem (45)great for brunch (43)hot spot (38)fit for foodies (28)good for groups (19)special occasion (15)kid-friendly (12)scenic view (9)romantic (4)notable wine list (4)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- would have been nice, except for...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2014there were screaming children at every table. What I knew would be a chic and trendy place to impress, was certainly not for Sunday brunch. I was so disappointed. I planned a lovely brunch with a few family members, expecting the great food and service which I've enjoyed there in the evenings, only to find myself leaning in to hear our conversation. I highly recommend the food and now will recommend to families as well.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/17/2014Food always good people watching excellent and funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy and overpricedMetroreviewerDined on 9/9/2014It's hard to understand why it's as busy as it is, but I think it's the location. The noise level is beyond acceptable, the food is okay but not great, and the service is uneven. The luncheon prices on the web are far less than the actual prices on the menu. The front desk is surly and full of attitude -- with a crowd of people milling around outside as the manager, I'm told, won't allow anyone to be seated until the entire group is there. Not very customer friendly if you'd like to sit and have a drink. I guess if you're shopping all day and crave something to eat it will do, but there are plenty of better options nearby.
- Only if you're starvingfreshfieldsVIPDined on 9/4/2014Overcrowded, overly loud, and even with a reservation they seat people who sign in before their reservation before your time. Food looks good but shrimp in shrimp salad cold and tough, prices very high. Eat at Bergdorf's!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/1/2014dyed bread. overpriced. careless service. Soooo disappointed.
- labmewDined on 8/31/2014This is the 2nd time my wife and I had lunch at Barneys. It is a special treat to celebrate a birthday at such a famed location. The service staff are so attentive, it make the experience wonderful. We can't wait to go back again. thanks for a great day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply AmazingFoodinNYCVIPDined on 8/26/2014Fred's at Barneys New York is perfect destination during a day of shopping or that special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a summer brunchbigblueVIPDined on 8/25/2014a mid-town gem. Good food in a lively setting. after you dine enjoy the 9th floorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything is well preparedWhatawastechefVIPDined on 8/24/2014Never had a bad meal here. Also, never hurts to have a look through Barney's afterwards.Special Features:
- foodieVIPDined on 8/19/2014Indifferent service and mediocre food add up to a less-than-ideal experience. They have a captive audience in the store, but if free-standing wouldn't be able to stay in business.
- Yummy Brunch!HiexpectationsDined on 8/17/2014Fred's is always on my NYC list for lunch or Sunday brunch. The lobster club is wonderful, and the eggs Benedict are simply delicious. The fries are the best I've ever had, so don't overlook them! If you haven't tried Fred's, you must add it to your list. If it's been a while since you've been, make it a point to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect lunch spotPauldonycDined on 8/16/2014Food is great and the staff is better. Sit at the bar, it's the closest you will ever be to being a guest on a talk show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentOutAndAboutPHLVIPDined on 8/11/2014Burgers with amazing fries, salads & other great lunch options. The lunch crowd consists of heavy hitters & socialites. The service was also top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch spotVgirlVIPDined on 8/9/2014My favorite place for lunch, a little on the expensive side but food consistently good and a great energy. The French fries are the best!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYC AmbienceahphilaVIPDined on 8/8/2014My daughter and I had a wonderful dinner at Fred's. I had the beet salad and pizza primavera, and was happy that the pizza had plenty of asparagus on it. She had the Palm Beach salad. We split the profiteroles - YUM! Service was kind and attentive, we received the window table we requested, and I would go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- Freds is always goodDmanDined on 8/7/2014Food was good staff was good. We had a nice time.Special Features:
- great for lunchkcqbinVIPDined on 8/3/2014This is a lovely place to go for lunch. The tables are well spaced and the noise level is moderate enough to be able to hear everyone at the table. The food is quite good and the wait staff is excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing87ephgirlDined on 8/2/2014The waiters were clueless, had to ask several times for knives and forks, didn't know the menu and weren't very helpful. Like we were doing them a favor or something. I used to lunch here a lot in the past. What happened barneys?Special Features:
- Delicious and FunEddieNYCDined on 7/31/2014Great food and great atmosphere. Service was prompt and professional.Special Features:
- Always a treatBJG123VIPDined on 7/29/2014Love coming here. Lunch with friends is always wonderful. Lunch with children and their families fabulous. Lunch for business alway s successful. I have yet to come for dinner but understand it is a fabulous find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shopping and morejmjrVIPDined on 7/24/2014Great spot for shopping break. Food continues to improve. Still miss Mad 61Special Features:
- Good in store restaurantTravelerVIPDined on 7/23/2014The food is very good. The host has a terrible attitude. Because of the last two dinners I'm not sure I would return. When I asked for a specific table near the window I was told it was reserved. No one ever sat there. Those lies are unnecessary!!! And evidence of an arrogant host. Too bad ....the food is quite good .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rgskolVIPDined on 7/11/2014incredibly reliable.....great food, service.......easy to have conversation.Special Features:
- Fabulous people watchingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/9/2014Elegant ladies in designer clothes and bags eating delicious salads and drinking iced teas. You might even spot a few celebrities. That is the scene at Fred's. I normally hate that kind of thing, but the service is warm and friendly and very attentive , and the space is lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fred's deliversBagelsDined on 7/9/2014The salads were generous in portion and my friend ate every grain of her risotto. It was surprisingly loud and crowded. Happily, we were not in the main room, which was a little warm. Service was less than attentive, but I would return.Special Features:
- Too much attitudeNYCfoodieDined on 7/8/2014I arrived at 11:40 for a lunch, and was told they wouldn't seat me until my entire party....of two, including me....was there, despite the fact that the place was empty. When my friend arrived a few minutes later, they proceeded to escort us to a table near the bar that backed up to another table. I asked for another table and was initially told there were none, all the others were "reserved". After I insisted, we were shown a table against the wall. I ordered their ridiculously overpriced chicken salad which was dry, with pieces of fatty chicken. We were never offered any bread or more drinks. Had to beg for the check. With so many other nice restaurants in the area, I definitely won't be going back to Fred's.
- terribkillerDined on 7/7/2014fred's salad delish but lunch very pricey. Very good for birthday lunch but sharing the large salad a good idea. and do not miss the french fries!Special Features:
- Nice LunchslaughtercDined on 7/4/2014We needed a nice place to stop in for lunch while we were enjoying the neighborhood. A friend told us about Fred's so we made a reservation and came for lunch. We liked the food, the service, and the ambience. It helps that they offer their salads in half size - leaves more room for the profiterole for dessert.Special Features:
- Love the energyNancyG1Dined on 7/4/2014Food is always great. The place is always hopping and shopping can't be beatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was excellentDiscriminatingPigletDined on 7/3/2014Salads were yummy. Had Kale salad and shrimp salad. Both were delicious and filling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing lunch at Fred'sNYCFoodie1Dined on 7/2/2014Relaxing lunch at Fred's with a client. Service was great and food was very good. We both had lobster salad and tuna tare tare. It was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great lunchektnDined on 6/27/2014Wanted a special fun place for lunch on a trip to NYC and this fit the bill. Yummy food, altho quite pricey and nice ambiance. would definitely recommend the shrimp or lobster salads.Special Features:
- BARRIFFICBob12Dined on 6/25/2014Fred's is a perfect lunch/dinner spit. Mark Strausman, Chef always maintains strong taste standards and genuine foods prepared with foodie desires.Special Features:
- Nice surpriseJackVIPDined on 6/21/2014We didn't not have high expectations for dinner in a restaurant in a department store, but Fred's is close to where we were going next and had a last minute availability. What a nice surprise to enter a very comfortable and inviting dining room. Service was extremely friendly and helpful. The food was excellent. We had wonderful fish. Definitely worth going to even if you aren't shopping at Barney's.Special Features:
- TitiDined on 6/21/2014Amazing food! Everything is delicious. Fun atmosphere too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Shopping CafeL7CamperVIPDined on 6/20/2014Where else would you expect a top notch luncheon place but on the top floor of Barney's. This is a great spot, great food, great servcice and a fun "scene". Recommended for real shoppers and NY-kers. I really dont recommend for tourists unless you're shopping AT Barney's. The french fries are famous!Special Features:
- Best lunch in the cityKieferFamDined on 6/19/2014Great food, atmosphere, happy place!! Wait staff awesome. People watching a little fun too. Although we didn't to dessert, it looked fabulous. Can't wait to return to the city to come back here.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedKggfoodieVIPDined on 6/17/2014After having to wait 45 minutes for a reservation that was not honored nearly at the time it was supposed to have been, I at least expected the service, once I sat down to be better. The food was mediocre and what was supposed to have been an hour and a half lunch turned into a 3 hour lunch. Anyone restaurant can have an off day, but this was way too off in too many places. It's a convenient location for me so I hope it was just a one time bad experience for us.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/13/2014We visited Fred's for a lunch when arriving in New York to celebrate our 30th anniversary. It was a bustling place but we were led to a great table beside the window. Service was attentive and the food good, especially the pasta dish with rapini and sausage that my husband ordered. Would definitely recommend it to friends.Special Features:
- always deliciousPrincess7VIPDined on 6/11/2014If you like a New York scene, this is definitely the place to lunch. I am not one who likes a scene but i often find myself dining at Freds with friends or sitting at the bar alone (even if i am not shopping) b/c the Freds Chopped Chicken salad or Chicken soup .....and french fries (of course) are beyond amazing! The food is delicious. Service is inconsistent. ALWAYS crowded. But usually can find a place at the bar no problem.Special Features: