Fred's at Barneys New York - Madison Avenue
660 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10065Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Fred's at Barneys New York - Madison Avenue
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.barneys.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-BNY-Site/default/Freds-Start
- Phone: (212) 833-2200
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:30pm, Saturday: 11:00am - 5:30pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 6:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Saturday: 5:30pm - 8:00pm; Brunch: Saturday: 11:00am - 1:30pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Alfredo Escobar
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: Off-site catering is available.
- Private Party Contact: Niki Le Bouquin 2128332207
A word from Fred's at Barneys New York - Madison Avenue
Fred's at Barneys New York is a modern day bistro. The brainchild of Fred Pressman, son of Barneys New York founder Barney Pressman, Fred's has something on the menu for everyone. We offer only the best ingredients and use local farm healthy foods. Whether it's lobster bisque, robiola with truffle oil pizza, fresh pastas, Baltimore crab cakes or the nationally famous Mark's Madison Avenue salad, our guest’s appetite for taste and luxury are always satisfied. Located on the ninth floor of our Madison Avenue store, Fred’s is open for lunch and dinner, and brunch on weekends.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Fred's at Barneys New York - Madison Avenue - Best Restaurants in Upper East Side ›
Fred's at Barneys New York - Madison Avenue reviews from OpenTable diners
150 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (108)great for brunch (55)hot spot (52)neighborhood gem (47)fit for foodies (40)good for groups (28)special occasion (25)kid-friendly (20)scenic view (11)vibrant bar scene (8)notable wine list (8)late-night find (4)romantic (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Why go anywhere else . . .MenumavennycVIPDined on 11/19/2014Fred's is always the best lunch within blocks- great menu, super- chic-y clientele with always great people watching and the occasional fashion celeb. The service is attentive without being too hovering or making anyone feel rushed. I could eat lunch there four days a week. Ok, I do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unpleasant hostesses ruined my experience.TravelerVIPDined on 11/19/2014The food was ok, but reception was unacceptably rude. The servers were excellent. Management should note the attitude at the front door.
- Unpleasant.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014Both the hostess and the food runner were very kind however, the waiter was not quite as affable. He did not introduce himself, after he offered bread he threw it on the plate, and he didn't ask how the food was or if we needed anything until he picked the plates from the table. I was somewhat unsatisfied with the service I received during this visit. I hope my following visit will be much better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beCbearVIPDined on 11/18/2014Host staff was very rude. Refused to let us know how long the wait would be. She told us rudely to wait outside the restaurant until we were called. Went for a special lunch with my daughter. Stuck in back corner clearly where they put the nobodies. $80/2 salads and ice teas later I would go elsewhere.Special Features:
- Fred's is still "the" placeGolem212VIPDined on 11/16/2014From power lunches to relaxed Sunday afternoon get-togethers, Fred still packs them in. And with good reason. A reasonably priced menu (given the nose-bleed prices in Barney's), a large dining room, and consistently good food, Fred's has something for everyone. On a recent Sunday afternoon, our fellow diners included a former governor of New York, a world-famous director-producer, and two film studio heads. Not to worry--all are treated fairly and courteously by the professional staff. Although we arrived far in advance of our reservation due to a schedule glitch, the maitre d' made every effort to seat us as soon as a table was available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can Never Go Wronggcs202Dined on 11/15/2014LOVE the fact you can go shopping and have a terrific meal all in one place. Outstanding service and the best lobster salad! Always like to meet friends and out of town relatives here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good...attitude badTravelerVIPDined on 11/14/2014Not a good friendly receptionist/host. Shocked to be greeted without a warm welcome. Hard to recommend for that reason. Otherwise, good salads.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always terrific at fred'sdianeVIPDined on 11/12/2014Besides lunch with friends, dinner with my husband and family, I've brought many guests to Fred's. everyone always has a good time, a great meal, is impressed with the menu and the excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- notinter2Dined on 11/11/2014very crowded at lunch - we were seated a bit after 1 pm and got a lousy tableSpecial Features:
- New to the neighborhooodeaterVIPDined on 11/10/2014Just moved my office to the GM Building. One additional benefit is being nearer to Fred's. Great lunch spot, period.Special Features:
- Horrible ServicequalitypleaseVIPDined on 11/2/2014Our third visit to Fred's. No issues previously. This time , horrific service . We were basically ignored throughout the meal. Had to get up and serve our own water. Asked for chilli flakes, three times. No one ever came by to ask how we were enjoying our meal. Nothing. Not acceptable. Very disappointing. I won't be back, and it's too bad because the food is very good. But who wants to feel insulted and ignored when paying for a meal at a fine restaurant?
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/2/2014We sat in the last room to the right as you go in. The room has a low ceiling and numerous tables all of which contributed to a claustrophobic setting. The room should be closed even if it means less revenue for the restaurant...The food was cold. A busy Sunday meant delays. Unnecessarily expensive for what it is. I expected much more for $25 omelette...
- Always love lunch at Fred's!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/30/2014Great people watching, delicious food and great service! I never get tired of itSpecial Features:
- bobbieg23Dined on 10/29/2014local dining at a very hot spot..great for people watching in between collecting barneys bags..good food..dont come if u r in a hurry for fast service. a great lunch spot..take your favorite customerSpecial Features:
- DisappointingDotchompsbrotherVIPDined on 10/25/2014$35 for a large salad with 4 medium size shrimp. Grass-fed burger was burnt on the outside, and though rare dry on the inside. Breads are excellent - whole grain - 2 types. They seated us in siberia in the back-room to the south. Too many people at too small a table.
- Convenient with AmbianceMertaDined on 10/21/2014The food in Fred is always consistent. Nothing great but always reliably decent. It is a very convenient place when you are shopping around the 60's area and Madison. It is my go to place when I do not know where to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch with friendsluvgoodfoodDined on 10/19/2014We were warmly greeted and treated with respect. Seated quite quickly, service excellent. Food up to the standard expected of a top first class restaurant. Will be going again.Special Features:
- Quintessential NYCVTNYCgirlDined on 10/18/2014Excellent location, good service, casual yet classy ambiance, great vibe, comfortable seating, excellent food and expected prices. My friends and I cleaned our plates. It was the perfect place to take a break from and refuel for a day of shopping. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shopping and DiningDeliciousNewYorkVIPDined on 10/16/2014Freds at Barneys is an icon of New York department store dining. It even reminds me a bit (I am dating myself here) of going to the Bird Cage restaurant at Bonwit Tellers on city line in Philadelphia when I was a child. Everyone looks spiffy, its very busy in a happy self satisfied way, and the chopped salads are good.Special Features:
- frenetic lunchtime mob sceneproofofthepuddingDined on 10/13/2014We specifically requested a table by the window in the front room but were seated in the back room which was filled with kids, noise, food on the floor, and rushed, harried wait staff. Don't go to Freds' for a relaxing lunch with a friend. Total mob scene and the food is just not worth the wait.
- terrible, TERRIBLE service!CaliforniaDinerVIPDined on 10/11/2014Waitress forgot drinks until reminded, disappeared for 40 minutes during our meal, was not pleasant nor responsive to our requests (for things like mustard for a burger). After she finally reappeared and I asked for a water refill, she refilled only my glass, though everyone else's was also empty. When asked to split a burger between 2 people, told us she would bring us a knife and an extra plate, but that restaurant couldn't do it for us. And though I had specifically said on the reservation that this was a 90th birthday meal, waitress did not even say happy birthday to our special guest, much less put a candle in her dessert. The food was fine. Service was a zero.
- Always deliciousPrincess7VIPDined on 10/9/2014Although Fred's is always packed and bit of a scene......it is consistently delicious and great for people watching. Even to sit at the bar alone is lovely. Great place to take a break from shopping. Fred's Chopped Chicken salad and Chicken soup (+ the fries of course) are my favorites every time. Also great for brunch on the weekends. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Snobby WaiterOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/1/2014Oh, excuse me, I am the guest and should be treated with respect. The waiter was horrendous. No excuse. Food was basic, over promised and under delivered. Over. Priced.
- Venice40Dined on 9/29/2014Very good food and hefty portions- makes sharing a good possibilitySpecial Features:
- Always a delightgeorgicapondVIPDined on 9/25/2014Dinner at Fred's is low key and a lovely respite from the "scene". The food is great; the service is gracious. It's a home away from home when one wants a civilized evening without having to scream above the din.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- would have been nice, except for...gm222Dined on 9/21/2014there were screaming children at every table. What I knew would be a chic and trendy place to impress, was certainly not for Sunday brunch. I was so disappointed. I planned a lovely brunch with a few family members, expecting the great food and service which I've enjoyed there in the evenings, only to find myself leaning in to hear our conversation. I highly recommend the food and now will recommend to families as well.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/17/2014Food always good people watching excellent and funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy and overpricedMetroreviewerDined on 9/9/2014It's hard to understand why it's as busy as it is, but I think it's the location. The noise level is beyond acceptable, the food is okay but not great, and the service is uneven. The luncheon prices on the web are far less than the actual prices on the menu. The front desk is surly and full of attitude -- with a crowd of people milling around outside as the manager, I'm told, won't allow anyone to be seated until the entire group is there. Not very customer friendly if you'd like to sit and have a drink. I guess if you're shopping all day and crave something to eat it will do, but there are plenty of better options nearby.
- Only if you're starvingfreshfieldsVIPDined on 9/4/2014Overcrowded, overly loud, and even with a reservation they seat people who sign in before their reservation before your time. Food looks good but shrimp in shrimp salad cold and tough, prices very high. Eat at Bergdorf's!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/1/2014dyed bread. overpriced. careless service. Soooo disappointed.
- labmewDined on 8/31/2014This is the 2nd time my wife and I had lunch at Barneys. It is a special treat to celebrate a birthday at such a famed location. The service staff are so attentive, it make the experience wonderful. We can't wait to go back again. thanks for a great day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply AmazingFoodinNYCVIPDined on 8/26/2014Fred's at Barneys New York is perfect destination during a day of shopping or that special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a summer brunchbigblueVIPDined on 8/25/2014a mid-town gem. Good food in a lively setting. after you dine enjoy the 9th floorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything is well preparedWhatawastechefVIPDined on 8/24/2014Never had a bad meal here. Also, never hurts to have a look through Barney's afterwards.Special Features:
- A Great Place without A Fuss!tunaDined on 8/24/2014Fred's is what it is, a great old fashioned restaurant, that has something on the menu for all tastes and eating habits. We take out-of-towners here all the time. A crowd pleaser. Thank goodness, there is a place like this in this neighborhood, near so many hotels. Comfortable, and accommodating. With a great hamburger! And Fries!Special Features:
- foodieVIPDined on 8/19/2014Indifferent service and mediocre food add up to a less-than-ideal experience. They have a captive audience in the store, but if free-standing wouldn't be able to stay in business.
- Yummy Brunch!HiexpectationsDined on 8/17/2014Fred's is always on my NYC list for lunch or Sunday brunch. The lobster club is wonderful, and the eggs Benedict are simply delicious. The fries are the best I've ever had, so don't overlook them! If you haven't tried Fred's, you must add it to your list. If it's been a while since you've been, make it a point to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect lunch spotPauldonycDined on 8/16/2014Food is great and the staff is better. Sit at the bar, it's the closest you will ever be to being a guest on a talk show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentOutAndAboutPHLVIPDined on 8/11/2014Burgers with amazing fries, salads & other great lunch options. The lunch crowd consists of heavy hitters & socialites. The service was also top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch spotVgirlVIPDined on 8/9/2014My favorite place for lunch, a little on the expensive side but food consistently good and a great energy. The French fries are the best!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.