Fred's at Barneys New York
15 East Oak Street
Barneys New York
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Fred's at Barneys New York
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.barneys.com/
- Phone: (312) 596-1111
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm, Saturday: 11:00am - 5:00pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Jean Tippenhauer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Freds at Barneys New York, Chicago offers a semi private space with breathtaking views of Oak Street and Lake Michigan. With a capacity of 28 people, the space is perfect for birthdays, showers, anniversarys, company parties, business luncheons, and so much more! Please call for more information. Fred's is also available for full restaurant buy outs.
- Cross Street: Rush Street
- Public Transit: Buses #143 and #151 to Delaware & Michigan, #36 to State & Oak. The Red line train stops at Clark/Division & Chicago/State.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: 2 parking garages within walking distance. Validation for the parking garage located at State and Oak.
A word from Fred's at Barneys New York
Fred's at Barney's New York is a modern day bistro. The brainchild of Fred Pressman, son of Barneys New York founder Barney Pressman, Fred's has something on the menu for everyone. We offer only the best ingredients and use local farm healthy foods. Whether it's our daily vegan soup, fresh pastas, Baltimore crab cakes or the nationally famous Mark's Madison Avenue salad, our guest’s appetite for taste and luxury are always satisfied. Located on the top floor of our Oak Street store boasting amazing views of Lake Michigan, Fred’s is open for lunch and dinner, and brunch on weekends.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Fred's at Barneys New York reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (29)scenic view (26)neighborhood gem (25)fit for foodies (23)great for outdoor dining (20)great for brunch (17)special occasion (16)romantic (15)good for groups (14)hot spot (6)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Great SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/8/2014Stopped in for a late lunch and was surprised that they still served brunch till 3! Great food, whether you want a nice healthy salad, or whether you want something a bit heartier... like the pastrami hash with fried eggs... like I had! So good and definitely hit the spot. Great place to pop into while shopping on Oak Street.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/7/2014Fred's offers a satisfying menu and fresh, well-prepared food in a light, airy and upbeat setting. It's reliably good, and on this occasion did not disappoint in that regard. We also had a very efficient and friendly server. The one disappointment was that I informed the restaurant via Open Table that we were celebrating two birthdays, as I was treating my niece and her best friend, both of whom had marked birthdays that week, yet the restaurant did not offer any kind of celebratory dessert or other response. Perhaps Fred's policy is not to do so, but I thought the server would have at least mentioned the birthdays. No harm done: the women in question are 30, not children.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014Really enjoyed our dinner at Fred's. Location is great and the large windows give a view. We sat next to the window and really enjoyed the night scene. Staff was attentive food was solid. Italian fair, I had the risotto which was creamy and flavorful. Great bar with cool seats. Like the modern open concept of the place. Would recommend and certainly go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014Really good food, great service but not many people there on Saturday night at 9 PM which I found odd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced!SpartacusDined on 10/10/2014Empty on a Friday night at 7:00 pm? Not a good sign. Massively overpriced for what you get. Small portions and poor quality. Calamari was terrible. Was our first time, and unfortunately, our last.
- LunchLoopDwellerDined on 9/9/2014Love the terrace dining! Food and service were excellent.Special Features:
- Awesome brunchfoodieVIPDined on 9/6/2014Took my mom anD her friends. Sat outside on a beautiful day. They loved it!Special Features:
- UnderratedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/30/2014I really think this restaurant is the most underrated one in Chicago. I almost don't want to tell anyone about it because I don't want it to get too busy, but it's AMAZING! Great food! Great view!Special Features:
- Great!EmNoDined on 8/29/2014Great food and great service, no complaints! Moscow Mule was amazing!Special Features:
- Ate outside and so lovelykd8rVIPDined on 8/24/2014Met my sister in law here for lunch on Sunday. I had the burger (fries are divine, burger grass fed and very flavorful) while she had the special soup (carrot vegan) and a caprese salad. Our food was delicious as was the setting.Special Features:
- Great food and wonderful outdoor!pinkpretty02VIPDined on 8/15/2014Great outdoor with a very nice view of Rush Street and a partial view of the lake. Try the salads - all of them are awesome!Special Features:
- an outdoor lunch findthreefriendsVIPDined on 8/7/2014We had lunch on a Thursday up at Fred's on level 6 of Barney's. It was one of the most lovely days of summer in Chicago and the ambiance on the deck only added to our enjoyment. We shared a 1/2 bottle of wine (a nice size for lunch), the crab cake appetizer (2 nicely portioned crab cakes and a delicious slaw) and each got a pasta. My daughter had the orrichietti with kale and italian sausage and I had the fettuccini with local mushrooms, asparagus and tomatoes. Both were yummy and sufficient to take home to enjoy for another lunch. Overall this is a treat for lunch in the gold coast.Special Features:
- Business dinner and lunchLuvOrganicDined on 8/5/2014Service and food quality always great. Accommodation of special requests (green juices made to order, veggie substitutions for gluten containing sides) has consistently been wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SearcherDined on 8/1/2014We had a great informal dinner. I was surprised how quiet the restaurant was on a Friday night- must be summer. But we enjoyed the casual dining in a very attractive setting. The food was excellent- calamari superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 669 reviews are from the Fred's at Barneys New York reviews archive.
- Terrace fine dining with a viewAmyPRDined on 7/25/2014We truly enjoyed dinner on the terrace - it was a beautiful night; the food was excellent especially the seared snapper with lobster sauce and the Papardelle Bolognaise. Very good staff!Special Features:
- Lovely Outdoor Terrace Space!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/25/2014Fred's has the most wonderful outdoor Terrace looking out over Rush and Oak Street. We enjoyed a Friday evening after work glass of wine on the Terrace, which we ended up ordering appetizers and then dinner. Everything was delicious. The Crab Cake Appetizer is one of the best crab cakes I have had and had no fillers in it, just wonderful tasting Crabmeat. We also ordered Lamb Chops and the Pasta with Kale and sausage dish and both were wonderful entrees!Special Features:
- Another Fred'sDMDPDined on 7/6/2014We were happy to find that Barney's in Chicago also had a Fred's as we always enjoy lunching or brunching at the one in NYC. It didn't disappoint. Good food, good service and a nice view as well. Would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't always get what you pay forChitownfoodieVIPDined on 7/5/2014Fred's was expensive (> $50/per person for lunch without cocktails) and the food was mediocre. The chicken noodle soup was not seasoned; the spaghetti & meatballs were also very bland. The wait staff kept trying to take my guest's plate, even though she was obviously still eating. My iced tea glass sat empty for extended periods, even though the server was hovering. Great views; food & service were extremely disappointing.Special Features:
- Nice findARR3VIPDined on 7/3/2014I've eaten here many times and it' always very good. I/we will be backI would recommend this to a friend.
- A city experiencekd8rVIPDined on 7/2/2014Had a light lunch on the balcony, looking east towards the lake... just lovely. We split the chicken salad which was yummy and the ice tea was great.Special Features:
- Costly and mixed resultsDisappointedDined on 6/25/2014Fred's is a pleasant place and feels like a high-end dining experience. The staff were very professional. My dinner, a halibut special, was well-prepared,nicely-presented and tasted very good. My husband's mushroom pizza was a huge disappointment ! He said it was not worth 1/4 of the cost! It looked like melted cheese on bread - very few mushrooms and the crust was very hard to eat! When one pays a fair amount for the meal, one expects a higher level of quality! Due to this experience, we will not return to Fred's.
- Great for lunchLisaSue24Dined on 6/24/2014We were early for reservation and still seated immediately. Our waiter was very good which always makes or breaks the experience. Food was good. Had a follow up call from the restaurant the next day to see how we liked it. Overall a very positive experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lackluster brunch & great ambianceSwedeunnerVIPDined on 6/22/2014Fred's brunch and ambiance was highly praised prior our arrival by friends, which skewed our perspectives. Initial stellar service with immidiate seating and two delishously refreshing morning coctails to accompany our presence. We ordered the Vittoria's Breakfast Sandwich and the Freds Beyond Organic Farm Egg Omelet, which was lacluster in regards to seasoning. The actual food was of high quality, but the seasoning brought a $16 sandwich to an experience of a $3 sandwich. Once food arrived our glasses were empty and we had to wait 10 minutes for additional fluids. Yet, our server was most helpful while our plates were empty. Would I visit again for the ambiance and drink, but have a meal at nearby location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great lunch on a gloomy day!SuegDined on 6/18/2014The location of Freds at Barneys on Oak St. in such a popular shopping area of the city, is perfect. I've eaten on a beautiful day on the little balcony which is lovely. But this was a rainy, gloomy day and there is a fireplace (modern), and white tablecloths and a quiet atmosphere (almost romantic).The service was good and we each had a pasta dish, that was excellent. We both ate our entire dishes. The portion sizes were perfect at lunchtime.Special Features:
- Good food at Fred'sgreat2eatoutDined on 6/13/2014The food is very good, the menu is varied and the service is excellent. Also it is quiet so you can converse with your dining companions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You will enjoy this any time of dayChanel1Dined on 6/12/2014Great brunch, super lunch, and divine dinner!! A very relaxed pace with nice variety of menu. Very good wine selection. Intimate bar in perimeter of dining room. Call ahead for a window table to watch the scene on Oak Street and Rush Street. Hint: Go for dinner when fewer people are there. Small outdoor space that has quite a view but not so great on a windy day when your salad flies off your plate and your martini splashes around. Fred's is definitely a place to check out, enjoy and return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this placeTracyVIPDined on 6/11/2014It's quiet, it's low-key and at the same time feels elegant and special.Special Features:
- Great place to enjoy ChicagoMomoDined on 6/7/2014I have been there before for lunch with my girlfriends, but wanted to take my daughter for lunch. We sat outside on the terrace with a lovely view of Oak st and the lake. The sun was hot abut it was gorgeous out! The food fabulous and service very attentive. I want to bring my out of town family there next time!Special Features:
- Not badWenbarDined on 5/30/2014Most times I visit Chicago, I go to this restaurant. It has a lovely view and the food and service are generally quite good. This time, they just seemed to be off. We had a relatively new waiter who appeared uncomfortable and was not very knowledgeable about the menu. Our mains were brought 5 mins after our starters, so we sent them back. The food was ok, but not up to it's usual par. I'd like to say the restaurant was full; which could have been the reason, but that wasn't the case. Just an off day I guess.Special Features:
- Nice StopStephVIPDined on 5/26/2014Went here with some friends for lunch. Great stop for Salads and flatbread pizzas. Nice wide selection of menu. Unfort. we were a table of 5ppl and they only seat up to 4ppl on the outside patio. Would have been nice to sit outside on such a beautiful day. Great stop for "ladies luncheons".Special Features:
- Great Brunch SpotBoozyBrunchGirlDined on 5/25/2014My best friend and I had a great experience at Fred's for our annual best friend weekend. Fred's will undoubtedly remain a part of that tradition because we do truly love it. A few service items were missed such as having plates stacked at the end of our table while both the 2 servers and the 2 server assistants walked past them on more than one occasion. The mimosas that came with the fixed brunch menus were only served once we asked for it at the end of our meal. I do believe we were not charged for our tea and coffee though in exchange. Overall a great experience with amazing outdoor views. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad Day?Foodie4415VIPDined on 5/25/2014This restaurant has been a fave of mine. I always order the same Madison salad and it was outstanding. My friends ordered off the breakfast menu and did not feel that the value was worth the taste. We sat outside which was lovely since it was the first nice day in Chicago in a very long time. It was Sunday at 11:00 and the service was very slow. As we mentioned it to the hostess, things started to get better but the dirty dishes sat on our table for quite some time before they were taken away. It must have been a fluke, or at least I hope so.Special Features:
- Dinner tastiness4fortastinessDined on 5/24/2014Great food, excellent service beautiful view both indoors and out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch DatelivingdiningDined on 5/24/2014This was the best place to meet someone who flew into Chicago from Philadelphia for a first internet date. I came down from Wisconsin and we sat at the window -- I told the wait staff that we would be there for a while (long 2.5 hours) talking and they did not put anyone next to us, did not pester us and the food was fantastic. We both had amazing salads and enough iced tea to float a boat. GREAT PLACE, FOOD and SERVICE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TiredyummVIPDined on 5/18/2014Just ok.....foodwise. A menu revision is in order.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014Great dinner. Great service. Quiet enough to have great conversation. Perfect!Special Features:
- XXXXXVIPDined on 5/15/2014We have been there many times. The food remains consistently good. The service has slipped the last few times we have been there. This time, it took a long time to get our food and our waiter made no effort to tell us that our food would be delayed until about 5 minutes before it was delivered.
- local favoritekaredekVIPDined on 5/14/2014The service and food at Fred's are consistently excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day BrunchyumyumDined on 5/11/2014The food was not up to its usual standard for brunch. I will try dinner in the future and hope that it has remained good.Special Features:
- WonderfulstephwaltDined on 5/11/2014Everything about this place was wonderful.. the food, service, and the environment. Would recommend and return again!!Special Features: