Freds - at Barney's New York - Beverly Hills
9570 Wilshire Blvd.
Barneys New York
Beverly Hills, CA 90212Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Freds - at Barney's New York - Beverly Hills
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barneys.com/
- Phone: (310) 777-5877
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast & Lunch: Monday - Wednesday: 8:30am - 6:00pm, Thursday - Friday: 8:30am - 7:00pm, Saturday: 9:00am - 7:00pm, Sunday: 9:00am - 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Emmanuel Pradet
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Barney Greengrass offers full service on and off premise catering. We specialize in the finest smoked fish platters. We also offer caviar, deli meats and an array of fresh salads.
A word from Freds - at Barney's New York - Beverly Hills
Freds is the West Coast version of the famous New York City smoked fish institution on the Upper West Side of Manhattan.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Freds - at Barney's New York - Beverly Hills reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (12)great for outdoor dining (11)scenic view (9)great for brunch (9)hot spot (6)fit for foodies (5)neighborhood gem (4)good for groups (3)special occasion (1)kid-friendly (1)romantic (1)Show More
- An Afternoon DelightGeminiVIPDined on 11/13/2014I met my friend for a late (2:30) lunch on the terrace of what was the old Barney Greengras. It still has the same wonderful view, but that is about the only similarity. Freds has the best sour dough bread I have had in ages, even better than in today's San Francisco! Service was professional and friendly. The waiters did not miss a beat when my friend and I requested modifications to our orders. Extra cheese? Done. No tomatoes? Of course. The food was outstanding and cooked perfectly. Everything we had tasted like it had just come from the farmers' market that morning. Freds is a definite keeper!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovetodineVIPDined on 11/13/2014The space is very nice. Especially the terrace which has spectacular views but the food is uneven. The first time I was there we ordered two different sandwiches to share. The turkey sandwich was good, the crab club sandwich was boring and tasteless. The second time I came I had the vegan salad which I liked but my friend hated the chicken salad and my neighbor hated the Chinese chicken salad. So the menu and food need work, BTW I asked for fruit as a side to my sandwich and that was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JackVIPDined on 11/9/2014Very impressive changes. Attentive service, delicious foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LMK4goldVIPDined on 11/9/2014We loved our experience at Fred's! Since I live so close by this will be my new neighborhood spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice patio, tasty food. PriceydklaVIPDined on 11/8/2014The food was very fresh and tasty but for what it is, it is pretty pricey. Salads around $26? They are big, but still...
- Fred's at Barneys Beverly Hills BADFlips54Dined on 11/2/2014Management at Barneys Beverly Hills, in their infinite wisdom, replaced the Barney Greengrass Restaurant with Fred's and ruined one of the finest brunch/lunch experiences in the Beverly Hills/Los Angeles area. I recently chose to have Sunday brunch at the newly opened Fred's and the food was served cold and tasteless and the portions were ridiculously small for the cost, which actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise. On top of that, the staff were poorly trained and completely uninformed as to the offerings, off menu options, and restaurant food policy. Word is spreading even though business is still brisk due to the novelty of the new build-out. As they say, "you call fool all of the people some of the time...."
- It's Happening at BarneysShellsVIPDined on 11/1/2014If we hadn't made a reservation, the wait would have been an hour. Prices were steep, but the portions were huge. It's enough to split. We sat out on the back patio, and spit the smoked fish platter. It was definitely enough food. I would come back, but would be sure to make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lafoodie36lafoodieDined on 10/28/2014Reservations are a must at Barney's renovated hot spot. Thankfully we had one but the staff was very accommodating to those who did not have a rez -- a sign of great service! Miss the original menu but Fred's menu is refined and pared down considerably so it's much easier to decide what to order. The four of us each liked our meal and the tiramisu was divine.Special Features:
- I miss GreengrassKnowsfoodVIPDined on 10/25/2014Barney's has done a very nice job in remodeling. I thought the food was good, but I liked the Greengrass menu better and the vibe has changed. It's gone from a nice comfortable restaurant to a scene.
- Disappointedlsarts631VIPDined on 10/23/2014The new restaurant has nice booths and a friendly staff, but the food was very disappointing. I ordered the chicken salad and it was so average. The prices are too high to have such little satisfaction. They are lucky they have such a great patio with a view. I am not running back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/19/2014Food was mediocre and arrived at the table at lengthy and disparate intervals.
- The following 126 reviews are from the Freds - at Barney's New York - Beverly Hills reviews archive.
- View of Beverly HIllsrangodogVIPDined on 6/5/2014Situated on the 5th floor of Barney's store in B.H.,patio has lovely view of the city. Service was a bit spotty and food a bit pricey but the food was very good and the day was perfect for eating al fresco.Special Features:
- JackVIPDined on 5/18/2014Very comfortable terrace with views of the Hollywood sign. Closing for a remodel in JuneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperiencepowerluncherDined on 5/9/2014All around excellent experience, from the quality of the food, to the service, to the ambience. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- JackVIPDined on 4/28/2014Well prepared entrees. Interesting specials. Attentive service. Thank you.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu has changednoanimalswereharmedVIPDined on 4/25/2014Barney Greengrass used to be a great place for an all-day breakfast. Not any more. And some of our favorites are no longer on the menu. A request for a breakfast item was denied, not because they didn't have the ingredients (they did), but because that is their "policy." After much haranguing we we prevailed, but alas the item was just so-so and not nearly up to the standards we have come to expect. Also, 1-2 visits to ask how we're doing is quite enough (I believe we had 6). Next time we'll go somewhere else. Very disappointed.
- JackVIPDined on 4/24/2014Delicious lunch. Attentive service. Beautiful view from the patio. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious new menu with someJackVIPDined on 4/12/2014Delicious new menu with some of the standards from the original. Attentive service. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissappointmentsteveebralovestoeatDined on 3/29/2014I downloaded the menu from their website and my family picked out everything we were looking forward to ordering. When we received our menu, they said it changed months ago and nothing we wanted was available anymore. They need to update their website.Special Features:
- Delicious food on a new menu.JackVIPDined on 3/28/2014Delicious food on a new menu. Attentive service. Thank you!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good business lunch spot.FoodieVIPDined on 3/14/2014I had a business lunch here and was treated very nicely. We were not rushed at all and the service was adequate. The menu for lunch is not extensive so we had wraps and frittatas, which everyone seemed to enjoy. All in all it was a nice experience in the heart of Beverly Hills.Special Features:
- Lovely spot for lunchCocoDined on 3/13/2014The sliders and lemonade were great, but the Caesar salad had no flavor. Like the locale for a quick bite of lunch. Hiking the stairs justifies dessert.
- Not my first time. Went forBuddyVIPDined on 2/16/2014Not my first time. Went for breakfast Sunday 10:30. Sat on the patio and ate and talked for 2 hours. It was great. By 12:00 it was packed, so make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Completely revamped menu isJackVIPDined on 2/14/2014Completely revamped menu is just the beginning of some big changes in store. Still a few of the old favorite smoked fish but a new direction clearly signaled. Service remains top notch. Weekend was packed with a combination of shoppers and families. Thank you!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Barney's a so so placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/2/2014Food was pretty good for smoked fish. My wife did not like the special omelet she said the it was sour and we tried to get the waitress to return it but she was too occupied even though the place was not very busy. The best items seem to be the pancakes and French toast but there are other places to go for that. My smoked fish was good the lox was excellent and the white fish was a bit dry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Yorkers' DelightMIGJETVIPDined on 1/21/2014Barney Greengrass may be my favorite lunch spot. Where else in Los Angeles can you find bagels that are flown in daily from New York, and bialys that are a perfect complement to the delicious whitefish salad and nova. It is also fun to people watch the crowd consisting of power agents, celebrities, and ladies who lunch. The service consistently is superb and friendly with Barbara at the helm making sure that everyone (in a sometimes tough crowd) feel like they are her special guest.Special Features:
- IT WAS GREATOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/17/2014My first time we went with some friends from out of town. Got there right at noon brought out to a nice table on the patio just what we asked for. Was a beautiful day food was excellent great view. Are waiter Jonathon made it a perfect day was there when you needed him was never rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOISYgrannie9Dined on 12/21/2013While the food was good and there was penny of it, it was so noisy and crowded that we were shouting across the table. Probably would not go back.
- Barney CrabgrassDeeLishVIPDined on 12/20/2013NYC Deli style food good but service is spotty at bestSpecial Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/15/2013Such nice staff and amazing food. Put up with my big group without a flinch. Loyal to this spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent selection. AttentiveJackVIPDined on 10/26/2013Excellent selection. Attentive service. Thank you.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice quiet place for intimate lunchLAfanDined on 9/16/2013Bit Expensive, but we were able to spend several hours talking over lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my faves!InLACAVIPDined on 8/29/2013The best whitefish salad outside of NYC. Great service... a little on the pricy side.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service?OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/12/2013The service this time was terrible. I don'.t know what was going on, but being seated inside seemed to make us invisible. Very disappointing.Special Features:
- Love this placeStargail1Dined on 8/2/2013I loved the friendly staff. Great if you are dining alone or doing a power lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- STALE BIALIESFoodnikVIPDined on 7/29/2013I was shocked that the bialy on my lox appetizer plate was so stale and hard to chew. I don't know what the problem was, but it was exceedingly disappointing.
- Great Food + Fun SceneOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/28/2013The food was great and portions were sizable! I was pleased with the service although our waiter was unable to make any recommendations which was a bit displeasing. I would recommend that the waiters be able to give a few recommendations. I was happy that I was able to trade the chicken on the Chicken Chinese Salad to Tofu! Will be back soon :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with quality service.JackVIPDined on 7/28/2013Great food with quality service. New menu items broaden the appeal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recent improvements in theJackVIPDined on 7/14/2013Recent improvements in the menu and the layout have made BG better than ever. Still has the classic smoked fish served with bagels flown in from NYC. Many new items too. Attentive service. Optional celebrity spotting included at no charge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The indoor dining area gets9021JoelDined on 7/8/2013The indoor dining area gets very noisy - request a corner table. The service was mediocre and rather unattentive. In fact, I would say that our server was rather listless and uninspired.