14439 NW Military Highway
San Antonio, TX 78231Neighborhood:
North San Antonio
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.fredericksbistro.com/
- Phone: 2108881500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm -10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, French
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: I personally cook for catering events from 10 to 100 guests.
- Private Party Facilities: Angelique's Room
Flat screen for presentations
Totally enclosed for private party only with its own bathroom.
- Private Party Contact: Frederick 2108289050
A word from Frederick's Bistro
Named best French restaurant many times since opened by San Antonio Express News Food Critics and by the people choice.Continued
Listed in Texas Monthly,Zagat and Frommer's.
Listed in Texas Monthly,Zagat and Frommer's.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Frederick's Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (12)neighborhood gem (10)fit for foodies (9)romantic (7)great for lunch (5)notable wine list (5)hot spot (2)good for groups (1)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- A known gem does it again!DocETDined on 9/2/2014Frederick's Bistro provided another evening of great drink, food and attentive, but subtle, service. Standard menu items as well as wonderful seafood specials provided guests with a tasty and satisfying meal. We have never been disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT DESSERTS!!DanielLVIPDined on 8/30/2014Try the trio --- a chance to have a taste of three great desserts... EACH ONE EXCELLENT!!!!Special Features:
- Great place for special occasionBobBDined on 8/30/2014We went to Frederick's for our anniversary. It was our second time there and we have really enjoyed a well-paced dinner, a nice quiet atmosphere, with great food both times we went. Staff was very attentive but not obtrusive. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tp notch bistroOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/25/2014Outstanding food as always. I travel to San Antonio every couple of months and make sure I eat dinner there at least once per visit. My favorite place to eat in all of SA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Frederick's BistroSpanky4578Dined on 7/23/2014My wife and I went with another couple for a celebration dinner. The servers were attentive, and the food was excellent. WE like a quiet place where we can talk. Frederick's Bistro met this preference until a group of men arrived for a dinner meeting. Then the place got a little loud. All in all, a good experience. I would return if the restaurant were more in my traffic pattern.Special Features:
- Lovely restaurantjomsometDined on 6/24/2014We have eaten here before and enjoy the food so much we came back for a birthday celebration. As always the food was excellent. Our appetizers ( shrimp in a spicy Thai sauce and spring rolls) were exceptional. The lamb chops were beautifully cooked and very tasty. Our other entree was the pork chops; again they were very tasty. We were tempted by the desserts - and really enjoyed them both. The mango creme brûlée was really good . I had a wonderful chocolate mousse.Special Features:
- ktandfriendsDined on 6/21/2014great menu, fresh food, nice presentation but the taste was blandSpecial Features:
- UnderwhelmingRudyVIPDined on 6/18/2014This did not meet the high recommendations I read. The food was only fair. I ordered what was recommended by the waitperson and did not satisfy. Service was ok--nothing to be very proud of. Perhaps because I was dining alone? Although, I am certain my bill was much much more than the table of 4 next to me on the basis of what I saw them order........ I think my bottle of wine alone cost more than their meal, but they were pampered and I was just an after thought.
- The following 196 reviews are from the Frederick's Bistro reviews archive.
- Special OccasionGarlicmamaDined on 5/16/2014Happened to arrive 15 minutes before our reservations but it was no problem to seat us immediately. Wait staff was attentive without being overbearing. She knew the long list of 'specials' inside and out. Food was excellent. We will come back more often!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rtamoVIPDined on 5/1/2014Frederick's Bistro had excellent food and service, as always!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Progress"ColeenDined on 4/28/2014Unfortunately the parking lot for the restaurant and nearby businesses was being re-paved; patrons had no knowledge that much of the spaces was closed to parking. One after one, cars drove in and had to maneuver to get out. We had to park over a block away at Walgreens and hike to Frederick's. This was irritating and exhausting, but, in addition, the smell of hot tar wafted into the Bistro, ruining the taste and enjoyment of the meal. We realized the restaurant management had no control over this, but apologies and explanations would have been appropriate. None were forthcoming.Special Features:
- Taking my business elsewhereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/26/2014I have been to this establishment on a few occasions with people from work and have raved about the food and service to my husband every time. We decided to celebrate our anniversary at Frederick's this past weekend. The food was amazing and our waiter was superb. However, I did not take kindly to Mr. Costa making snide remarks when he stopped by our table. One minute he implies that I'm too good to eat his food because I left some apple slices from my salad on the plate and the next minute he makes me feel like a heifer for eating my entree and sharing dessert with my husband.
- SplendidRepeaterDined on 3/29/2014We have eaten at Fredrick's Bistro before and it never ever disappoints. Not to be missed is the Escargot with Spanish Chorizo appetizer. The rich, elegant flavor lingers on the palate for just the right amount of time. This time we had the Snapper with an equally delicious mustard sauce. The restaurant is not large, you need a reservation made well in advance. The best thing about the restaurant is that they never rush their diners in an attempt to turn their tables. We had leisurely dinner with knowledgeable foodie friends -- a splendid time was had by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-sochurchkeysVIPDined on 3/13/2014This place could be fun and exciting - but the decor is drab and the menu underwhelming. The waitress was helpful and attentive. The sauce on my shrimp was bland and normal. Nothing special. The lemon dessert was the same. The hostess was unkempt and bedraggled - not a good first impression. Maybe that effected the rest of my visit.
- Gem in a Strip MallMaryDined on 3/9/2014Hard to find (sign not obvious) and servings more American-sized than French, but an excellent meal. The Sunday wine at half price was much appreciated; it provided an opportunity to try a wine that we would not normally order. We recommend the duck and osso buca.Special Features:
- First ClasssooeepigsDined on 3/8/2014We have never had even an average meal here. The food and service are always exemplary. My fish was outstanding and my wife's chicken was superb. Definitely a place for us to continue to go to for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!!GroundHogDined on 3/3/2014This was our seventh anniversary and wanted to go and enjoy some unique food dishes. The restaurant was quiet and very clean! The wait staff was very attentive and professional! The meals were Excellent (as always)! The wine and champagne drinks were tasty. We enjoyed our outing very much. Keep up your Excellence !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful once againRalphVIPDined on 2/18/20144 of us for an early dinner Tuesday evening. Have been here many times all with favorable results. Service good, drinks better. A very nice wine list. The menu is simple with many wonderful meals. I often get the Osso Bucco which is great. Two in the party got the trout which say say is exceptional (better be, they get it every time )! Steaks are good as well. Frederick, the owner. always stops by, not just to say hi, but stays for a little chat.Special Features:
- Always excellentColeenDined on 2/7/2014I've dined here many times and always marveled at the consistently excellent level of cuisine, service, ambience. For lunch or dinner, Frederick's Bistro never fails to impress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experience!rtamoVIPDined on 1/31/2014The Frederick's Bistro staff makes every effort to take care of their customers. Always an excellent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great way to celebrate Chinese NYSonKneeBoyVIPDined on 1/31/2014We decided to go to Fredrick's Bistro for Chinese New Year, what a blast. I believe this was the first time I have had upscale Chinese food. 4 courses prix fix Chinese fusion. Really a surprising and great change. Perhaps Fred should consider opening an upscale Chinese restaurant ;)Special Features:
- Great meal - Very mediocre service.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/30/2014Multiple visits to this restauant. As usual, the meal was well prepared and very good. Our server was either new or not motivated and getting a refill or anything was a chore. Unusual for Frederick's.
- Neighborhood Gem in NW San AntonioDocSDined on 1/29/2014Always a delight! Great variety of menu and special items, perfectly prepared. A little on the pricey side, but they always deliver a first-rate dining experience. This is a quiet place, perfect for business discussion or romantic interlude.Special Features:
- Menu is better than the meal2FoodiesVIPDined on 1/29/2014Was on a business trip Wednesday and looking for a nice meal with a colleague. No hostess to be found and a harried waitress finaly grunted at us. The restaurant had 3 tables occupied and some quiet bar patrons in the other half of the restaurant. Menu was fit for foodies. I had the truffled Chilean sea bass special, but no scent of truffles was detected. My friend, who prefers low brow meals, was satisfied with his parmesan cod choice. The vegetable sides were good as was the Napa cab by the glass. Irish coffee was coffe with whipped cream and some whiskey- but no Irish. Our waiter was attentive and pleasant. Since it is close to my office in SAT and has the feel of a nice restaurant, I will be giving it one more try on my next trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal yet!MaremoDined on 1/26/2014We were on a whirlwind long weekend trip from Corpus Christi with stops in San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, back through San Antonio and home to Corpus. We had a lot of good food during the weekend but our meal at Frederick's was by far the best! We shared the special lobster crab salad, the country pate, the escargot, and the duck confit pizza. Everything was excellent. We will be back!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad Food & Service.Cold atmosphereFoodieDined on 1/26/2014Restaurant is trading on an old reputation from Alamo Heights & not living up to it! Had to change tables to get away from kitchen staff's conversation. Slow Slow service. Waitress told us about 1/2 the specials....had to hear from another table after we ordered about other specials & 1/2 off wine. Caesar Salad was definitely a Costco pre-fab! Dressing had no taste. Croutons like cardboard. Lettuce from a bag. Parmesan cheese with no flavor. Mushroom sauce (same sauce is on lots of menu items) has too much salt or pre-processed food with sodium....left mouth dry. Dry chicken. Bone dry pork chop...probably reheated. Just like going to a chain restaurant where food is prepared elsewhere. All this and owner was there oblivious.
- Enjoyed ittxjaybirdVIPDined on 1/23/2014We ate here on a weeknight with friends from out of town. The menu was innovative and varied. For appetizers, we chose pate, escargot, oysters and we all enjoyed our choice. Entrees we tried were salmon, "healthy" fish, lamb and all enjoyed. Service was attentive. Wine list not extensive but good choices. A nice neighborhood bistro, but not inexpensive. We'll go here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/18/2014Started out with Escargot w/ Spanish Chorizo, Mushroom & Garlic Butter Sauce. Best ever and we don't share. Once again, the seafood was outstanding. Perfectly cooked scallops, shrimp and fish. Reservation for Saturday night at 7:00 and the place was packed but I would not let that get in the way of going back again on a Saturday night. Sunday nights are a little more quieter and they used to have 1/2 price wine. Not sure if they still do at this time.Special Features:
- Always reliably very goodGeorgiaDined on 1/16/2014My favorite is the appetizer spring rolls and any fish specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS Superb!doodahvetDined on 1/6/2014My favorite restaurant when I lived in San Antonio and I cannot find ANYTHING that comes close to the food, service and ambiance where I live in California. I am in San Antonio pretty often and look forward to the delicious meals I always get at Frederick's Bistro (or Frederick's Restaurant located on Broadway). EVERYTHING is always prepared to perfection and served with a thoughtfulness and attention to detail. Their menu has something for everyone. If you think you don't like desserts, you haven't tried one of the many that Frederick's offers. My personal favorite is the Chocolate Rum Cake Euphoria . It is a Happy Dining Journey that is not to be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply greatIgnacioVIPDined on 1/4/2014I went with my family and everybody loved the food and service was just excelent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Years EveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2013The menu was prix-fixe, but quite varied in course selection,so it was easy to find something that suited. All the courses were excellent. Service was a bit slow,but given the crowd,understandable. The two hostesses did double duty with drink service and our waiter (who was actually a part of the kitchen staff) was polite and knowledgeable. We have been to Fredrick's (both locations) many times and have never had a bad experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Years Eve 2013DanitaoDined on 12/31/2013We had a reservation in the bar side of the restaurant for NYEve with a special menu for the night. The food was delicious as usual!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another great dinner @ Frederick's!llbreadyVIPDined on 12/31/2013Wonderful meal on New Year's Eve - mouth-watering choices from a prix fixe menu - as always, simply dellicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerPinkieSueDined on 12/31/2013New Year's Eve dinner was a great way to end 2013; the food was great especially the seafood medley and the service was specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good overallDedicatedVIPDined on 12/28/2013Located in a stripmall close to highway, this is a good place for dinner with a broad menu, specials and very attentive service. Wine list is very good.Special Features:
- Good as alwaysAnnivDined on 12/24/2013Excellent holiday meal. The most tender filet I've ever had! The fried Brussels sprouts appetizer was absolutely delish. You must go try it out. We were too full for dessert.Special Features:
- Great FoodCoCoDined on 12/7/2013Fredric's never disappoints!! All was wonderful!! Would recommend to anyone for a great meal.Special Features:
- RayRayKDined on 11/26/2013Food was the best I have had in years. TOP NOTCH!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent evening becauseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/20/2013Excellent evening because of all the attention given and details. Coming in reservation was ready, table set simple and efficient. Waitress knows the menu and the wine, very attentive without pushing. Noise is on the high side, and probably could use an ignore lighting. But most of all the food is exquisite, well presented, each bite a delight. Would go back as often as I could and do recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.