3980 Fraser Street
Vancouver, BC V5V 4E4Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.fray.me/
- Phone: 6045583729
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:30pm Friday: 11:00am - 11:00pm Saturday: 9:00am - 12:00am Sunday: 9:00am - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Burgers, Comfort Food, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Benny Cheng
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Call us for details.
- Entertainment: Wednesday 8pm: Fray's Trivia Challenge
- Special Events: Monday nights are available for special events and party rentals. Call us for details.
- Cross Street: 24th Avenue
- Public Transit: Bus stops at King Edward and Fraser are just steps from the front door. Take the #8 from Waterfront Station or South Fraser, or the #25 from Brentwood Station or UBC.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is ample street parking along Fraser Street and behind the premises.
A word from Fray
Always local, always fresh: Fray offers B.C. based meat, seafood, vegetables, wine and microbrew draft beer in a comfortable Fraser Street setting, just blocks from Vancouver's Main Street. Head chef Benny Cheng delivers international cuisine consisting of British Columbia's freshest local ingredients, direct from nearby farms, dairies, fishing boats and bakeries, while rejigging old favourites towards a healthier end product. Try the F-Bombs (bacon-wrapped figs with a balsamic reduction) or portobello fries before tucking in to the best nicoise salad this side of Europe. Opening for weekend brunch soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Fray reviews from OpenTable diners
- Cute little neighborhood spot...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/21/2012Fun atmosphere and a great place for families or groups of friends who want to play games. The food was so, so and the service was really slow. Our main dishes took about 45 minutes to arrive. Waitress was very friendly and accomodating though... Nice little neighborhood spot to get together with friends so long as your not a total food critic like me!Special Features:
- Nice findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2012Interesting decor. Kinda rec room chic but in a good way. Brought our own wine but started with cocktails. I had the butter milk fried chicken which was really good. Crisp and flavourfull. Service friendly and efficient. Will definitely returnSpecial Features:
- Service was disorganised butXanderDined on 9/15/2012Service was disorganised but this place serves good innovative diner food at reasonable prices and has created a cool but fun aesthetic that gives it a unique atmosphere.Special Features:
- UnevenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2012Four of us had a midweek early dinner, so the place was fairly empty. The waitress was prompt, knowledgeable and attentive. The customary bread basket came in the form of very tasty polenta fries, with a sort of garlic jus. The signature Portabello Mushroom fries were awesome. The Mac & 3 Cheese dish was too understated - needing a mature cheddar. Buttermilk chicken was great both in flavour and portion size. The smoked salmon in the Fraser River Shrimpboat was a poor impersonation of smoked salmon, though the dish was nicely balanced - great Rosemary chips. My special of the day - a sort of flatbread pizza - was flavourful but nearly cold on arrival, and the side salad was dreadfully soggy and dressed with who knows what. Quite uneven.Special Features:
- We were there for Sunday brunch,VancouvergirlDined on 9/9/2012We were there for Sunday brunch, but despite having reservations, service was very slow. Food was very good...we had a few different eggs benedict dishes which were all nicely done. Portobello fries are a must try - very addictive! Overall a great neighbourhood place that is family-friendly. Prices are very reasonable too.Special Features:
- I think our server was havingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2012I think our server was having a bad day. She forgot our menus and cutlery, she dropped a full water glass on floor and she didn't know the items that should have come with my meal (my toast took so long that my eggs were cold). It was a day for waiting. Our brunch took 2.5 hours (no line up, the restaurant was not full). I felt for the servers, they seemed frazzled and had no extra help.
- The atmosphere is great.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/4/2012The atmosphere is great. I was taking someone out for lunch-she really wanted the pulled pork and it wasn't available. I had the special quinoa super salad which was 80% quinoa, not too many veggies and the quinoa tasted like it had been made a few days ago. I wouldn't really call it a salad. The server had specially recommended it too which was weird-trying to get rid of it?
- Their famous mushroom friesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/2/2012Their famous mushroom fries were quite good. My entree was so-so, I had the pulled pork sandwich and it was soggy and slightly tasteless. The service was lovely although there was only 1 waitress for the whole restaurant. I don't think I will be returning for dinner, but I have heard great things about their brunch.Special Features:
- The buttermilk chicken, portobelloRTseVIPDined on 9/1/2012The buttermilk chicken, portobello fries, and portobello salad that we had were all good. It was Saturday night so the owner was running a Scattagories game with the restaurant guests. There were some excellent prizes: $50 gift certificate, free beer, free dessert... It was very fun. Fray is a good place to take the family.Special Features:
- brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/1/2012i took my 10yo 100lb daughter & myself 250lb for brunch b4 got to work at the flea market so like thousands that visit us every Sat & Sun want a deal or at least value for $ i searched for a restaurant near main electronics [ i needed buy parts ] i found gourmet meals, reasonable price, with a twist - meaning good portions as apposed to stuffy gourmet meals that wouldnt feed a bird i ordered a traditional breakfest that was supposed to come with roasted potatoes they were deep fried my daughter had 4 cheese mac n cheese served in a 3" bowl, it had a cheese sauce dint taste like cheese...sorry guess i'm spoiled by "Bon's on Broadway" half the price, twice the food and no greaseSpecial Features:
- 2 nd time there.. loved theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/20122 nd time there.. loved the first time and it is a great place to take girlfriends and have a nice chat , and eat healthy, Girlfriends had never been there before and they all said they will bring hubby's next time.Special Features:
- I really liked their brunchBrunchieDined on 8/18/2012I really liked their brunch menu on the weekend, it was a very good selection and quite delicious!Special Features:
- The Fray was amazing, greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2012The Fray was amazing, great local food, $5 corkage and Fat Tug beer on Tap. Great Value and board games to play while you are finishing your dessert! Best find of the summer.Special Features:
- Being our first time, we reallyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/5/2012Being our first time, we really enjoyed Fray! Service was excellent, food was very good and I can imagine this place getting very busy, very soon. We enjoyed that it wasn't packed and noisy!Special Features:
- Despite the food being goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/28/2012Despite the food being good - unfortunately, our server was new and a bit daft and inattentive. It is a lively, casual and fun. We went on a Sat night and they had 'drunken spelling bee' starting around 8:00/8:30pm or so... once that started it became obnoxiously loud and therefore hard to enjoy the last bit of our meal. I'd go again but get in earlier and leave before any of their games start - unless you like a ridiculously loud environment.Special Features:
- First time there, great foodseasonedtesterDined on 7/28/2012First time there, great food and portions, can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Loved the Superfood Salad!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/26/2012Loved the Superfood Salad! When a restaurant can make healthy taste good, it's a beautiful thing.Special Features:
- Great quality for exceptional148julesVIPDined on 7/25/2012Great quality for exceptional value!!! A true neighbourhood gem.Special Features:
- My wife and I found the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/21/2012My wife and I found the food to be as follows: while the Portobello fries and accompanying aoli sauce were excellent, and the house salad was good; the quinoa burger was too greasy and quite tasteless, until mustard was applied to the bun. Also, the Fray burger was OK, and the rosemary chips were good, but the 3-cheese mac & cheese was also quite tasteless (and required cheddar). The music was too loud to talk over, and the waiter was too quiet; we were forced to ask him to repeat himself several times. He needs to be more assertive, in such a loud atmosphere. While we would not recommend this restaurant for dinner, it probably would be more appropriate to come to come back for brunch/ at lunch time.Special Features:
- Will go again and againOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/13/2012Excellent locally grown food. Great service. Love the decor and the plethora of board games to playSpecial Features:
- We t for brunch. The FrenchHungryBearVIPDined on 6/30/2012We t for brunch. The French toast was delicious . Charming little whole in the wall. Lots of board games available to play at your table while you wait.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprised. NotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2012Pleasantly surprised. Not a lot of choice in the menu but everything in it prepared well. Not too busy either. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Qualified successrepeatdinerVIPDined on 6/13/2012We went as a group of 7, early (6:00) with a small child, for a family evening. Seated efficiently, same for ordering and delivery of sequence of appetizers and mains. Food was higher quality for bar food, with some interesting items -- portobello mushroom fries, taro chips -- and good burgers. Big plus was availability of games, pencils/crayons, puzzles, etc. for kids and adults. Service tapered off quickly after served mains. No request for coffee, no ask about desert. It was "trivia night" apparently, and I got the impression that servers and management were interested in seeing us leave. Would go back, yes, but with a drinks-and-bar food agenda.Special Features:
- WE had such a fabulous timeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/2/2012WE had such a fabulous time and loved the board games, we will definitely be back. The music was a little too loud for talking as we felt our voices were raised to hear each other.Special Features:
- Fun local gemOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/1/2012Living near Main/Camibe Street, we've been really lucky to try out some great local restaurants and cafes. We were looking for a casual (local) spot for dinner that we've never been before and stumbled upon Fray through our Urbanspoon app. The menu is fresh, fun and loaded with locally grown and organic options. Menu is approachable and prices are very reasonable. A staple on their menu are the portabello fries, lightly breaded and served with a sun-fried tomato aioli - I've been raving about them since I've had them! Fray is a must-try neighbourhood spot, a menu guaranteed to have something for everyone.Special Features:
- we loved the food everyoneOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/26/2012we loved the food everyone in our party was very happy with all their selections, F bombs were yummy,flat iron steak perfect, ravioli delish, roast chicken dinner excellent..noise level... was good ... music was low enough we could carry our conversations.Special Features:
- Great addition to the neighbourhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/25/2012Great addition to the neighbourhood.I will be going back for sure.Special Features:
- I generally did not like theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/23/2012I generally did not like the place. It is far too noisy for someone who is over 50 and sensitive to background noise. Both my girl-friend's and my heads were pounding with the noise after we left.
- Local, Organic and FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/19/2012We went here on the recommendation of another website. Turned out to be a fantastic breakfast. Excellent local fare with almost everything organic and locally produced. If i lived in Vancouver instead of Edmonton i would make this a regular brunch stop.Special Features:
- A wonderful place to spendRockyviewcdaVIPDined on 5/13/2012A wonderful place to spend Mother's Day. The food was great and the place was fun.Special Features:
- Unfortunately, our serverOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/13/2012Unfortunately, our server was hit with a few tables at once and even thou we were there first - we were served last and with a toddler with us makes it very difficult as he timed out before Mom could eat... Food was very good, but the wait for drinks & food was too long and left us disappointed.Special Features:
- good location, lots of freeLove2dineDined on 5/13/2012good location, lots of free parking on the streetthe only drawback is the kid's hamburger. the adult hamburger was yummy but we took one bite of the kid hamburger and that was dry and tasteless and don't blame your child if they don't want to eat their hamburgersSpecial Features:
- Yummy Fray!!CoconutVIPDined on 5/13/2012Great spot for brunch and very kid friendly. Would go again and again.Special Features:
- Fun place with a lot of board/cardFredDined on 5/6/2012Fun place with a lot of board/card games for people to play.Special Features:
- This time, food was okay...IpuddingDined on 5/4/2012This time, food was okay...I found that not much choice for foods, limited menu.
- Service was slow but alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/28/2012Service was slow but always nice and friendly! The mushroom ravioli was amazing!Special Features:
- We loved the decor and themeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/28/2012We loved the decor and theme of the restaurant. In terms of food, burger had a great taste but they should have the option of fries with it instead of salad. 3 of my male friends order a burger and complaint about not having fries and more because of the price. Salmon was cooked perfectly but flavor and side were mediocre at best. We were so excited to tried the F-Bombs and they were so disappointing! The figs were not sweet at all and they were burnt! Overall it is way overpriced in terms of food taste and location. We will give it another try and hopefully they were only having a bad day.
- Please keep it simple.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/20/2012Been to Fray about 3 times now. In general, I like the food, but wish it was better. My wife and I almost think they're trying too hard. We wish they kept it simple. For example: why no regular ketchup? why no fries? why does my burger have pork meat on top that dominates the taste of the burger (I'm not referring to bacon, that's great). Also, we think the food is a bit bland (could use more seasoning). We'll probably go back because it's convenient and want it to succeed, but we wish it were better--it should be better.
- I was quite surprised whenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/19/2012I was quite surprised when we caame on trivia night! Made our experience that much more enjoyable!Special Features:
- The service is friendly andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/12/2012The service is friendly and attentive with a really relaxed atmosphere and varied menu to boot.Special Features: