54 Pearl Street
New York, NY 10004Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.frauncestavern.com/
- Phone: 2129681776
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11am-4pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American, Irish
- Executive Chef: Victor Miranda
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour
- Private Party Contact: Alexandra Aguilar 2129681776
- Entertainment: LIVE IRISH MUSIC EVERY FRIDAY 6:30-9:30PM
- Special Events: Contact David 212-968-1776
A word from Fraunces Tavern
The Porterhouse Brewing Co. at Fraunces Tavern, is located in one of the city's most historic landmarks in the downtown Financial District. The Porterhouse offers a large range of small batch and specialty beers, serving traditional American food with a strong Irish influence. Fraunces Tavern has been a part of our city's history since 1762. Now under new management, you can expect a modern experience in an authentic historical space while enjoying great food, drinks, and atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Fraunces Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
136 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (64)great for lunch (60)good for groups (49)special occasion (34)vibrant bar scene (30)great for brunch (28)fit for foodies (18)romantic (15)notable wine list (13)kid-friendly (12)scenic view (12)late-night find (9)hot spot (9)Show More
- great lunch!lunchbunchDined on 10/13/2014We had a quick lunch so our choices were somewhat simple. Food was delicious. Wait staff was accommodating. Overall a great lunch!Special Features:
- Nice PlaceiLuv2MunchDined on 10/10/2014Cool little restaurant, lot's of history. My seat happened to be in the dining room, next to a spot light. I turned it myself, so not bad. Waiter was great, brought drinks and food fast. Little expensive, but worth a night outSpecial Features:
- Everyone pleasedDeeDeeDined on 10/8/2014We had a group of 8, 6 from out of town. Everyone enjoyed what they ordered. The price was very reasonable for such an elegant place. I shared the history of the tavern with the group before we went and they found it so interesting. I made reservations for lunch and they immediately showed us to our table which was already set for the group. Each said that it was a great place in terms of food and atmosphere. The only thing I wish they did differently was give 4 separate checks to the 4 couples but our waitress indicated that groups over 6 can only have one check. It would have made it much easier on us to divide the check.Special Features:
- A Real Find1234Dined on 10/5/2014Hard for out of towners to find but worth the effort. Chicken pot pie not typical and excellent. Lunch salads great. Good wine by the glass selections. Ambiance historic (that's good). Good for just drinks or dinner/lunch. Service the day we ate there was horrid, but may not be typical. Would recommend and return.Special Features:
- tedlind3Dined on 10/4/2014Had a great dinner at FT on Saturday night. Great martini and the shepherd's pie was perfect. Also surprised at how lively the neighborhood was - worth the trip downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, lots of HistoryWalterDined on 9/27/2014During my visit to NYC, to participate in the "Tunnel to Towers" run, I took the time to look for some of New York history, AND I found it in Fraunces. The food and service were great, but it would be enough to just to have a drink, or visit the museum that is dedicated to George Washington and the sons of the American evolution. This was a GEAT experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A pleasant surprisebklynladyDined on 9/27/2014The dining experience was wonderful. The food was fresh and delicious' It was like tasking a step back in historySpecial Features:
- Great food but slow serviceJH1989VIPDined on 9/27/2014I had previously come the week before and had experienced great food and service at the bar. However, at the brunch dining area, the service was relative slow despite the quiet morning and the waiters were not attentive enough when I tried to request for the check or more water. That being said, I will still go back for Brunch. The food was worth the wait and I love the beer selection.Special Features:
- Great sandwichesAMHessDined on 9/23/2014I work nearby, so I'm glad I finally visited. The ambiance is what you'd expect--lots of old wood, historic fixtures, maps and paintings on the walls. It's a nice change from the rustic-modern look that you find everywhere. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. The slow-roasted pork sandwich is deliciously messy, with tender meat topped with a red cabbage and apple slaw. Service is friendly and prices are quite reasonable. I plan to return and check out the museum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch at Fraunces TavernluvthehistoryDined on 9/18/2014My fourth visit in less than six months. Food is good. You're surrounded by history. Service is excellent. The Museum is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Great place for brunch and after brunch with live Irish music. Comfortable feel like a neighborhood bar where everybody knows your name.Special Features:
- Pretty goodBrooklynTasterDined on 9/10/2014The menu wasn't what I expected (Indian fare?), but the chicken pie was very filling.
- Historic place, historic momentGonzalofromSpainDined on 9/9/2014Very pleased to have visited and had lunch in Fraunces Tavern. The chicken pie was extraordinay, I highly recommend it. The museum above was also an unforgettable experience.Special Features:
- Too NoisyGConDined on 9/8/2014Not the kind of ambiance I had expected. It was simply too noisy and the music was too loud. We were a group of 7 and we were seated in one of the bigger rooms. Maybe it was just that Monday evening.... I might go back for a beer, but if I go back for dinner (don't think I will) I will make sure to get a table in a more secluded area.Special Features:
- not what George would have expected2tellthetruthDined on 9/8/2014This was not the first time dining at Fraunces Tavern, but was not the best experience. While the server was very pleasant, we waited quite a while to receive our food, especially dessert. I ordered Chicken Birhani from the special Indian menu and found that I had to send it back because the chicken was too under-cooked. Ultimately, I enjoyed the dish very much. I would still come back, but next time I'll stay with the Chicken Pot Pie, which is always yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historical GemPhilCTDined on 9/8/2014It's great to be able to dine in a spot George Washington visited. The surroundings are in keeping with that time which makes for an interesting venue and the food offerings were fine and service was friendly and attentive.
- Finally got thereDininginhistoryDined on 9/7/2014Being a history buff I have long wanted to visit Fraunces Tavern. We visited on a Sunday afternoon and was just delighted. Our server, Camilla, just started that day and you would never have known it. Thorough in her knowledge of the menu and helpful with choices. We enjoyed our meal surrounded by history and the light of flickering candles. After lunch we enjoyed a delightful walk around Battery Park. All in all a great experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tavern DelightDiGi3Dined on 9/6/2014We had a really nice dinner here and plan to return. The food was very good and though we were in the hustle and bustle of Manhattan, being in the tavern gives the feeling as if your in quaint Boston or Philly. Will definitely return, especially with visiting family members.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mr and Mrs MatssonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014We have Heard about Fraunces Tavern, so we desired to book a lunch. Great historic Place !Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014On Sept.1,2014 we celebrated our 48th wedding anniversary dinner at your historic tavern. My wife had sea food and I had chicken potpie. She enjoyed her fare but my potpie had a very soggy crust and the chicken was dry. It seemed that it had been left in the refrigerator for a long period of time. The waitress was attentive the ambiance great.
- BusterDouglasDined on 8/30/2014One of the best dining environments I have experienced. The food and beer selection were both great. I would definitely recommend, especially to any history buff. I will certainly come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply great!APorretta1Dined on 8/29/2014What a great find in NYC! Not having ever been there I was pleasantly surprised by the beautiful interior and exterior of this restaurant. A colonial stone building nusteled in the middle of high risers. Food was great and huge portions. Very reasonable in price! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Worth a trip for the historic surroundings and excellent Porterhouse draft beer selections from Ireland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually betterJimFoodDined on 8/25/2014This is usually a good experience but wattress forgot our meal - 1 hour bf we got served. But manager came over and offered us free drinks and then took our first round off. He also refunded one of our meals (it was wrong). Manager was a pro and handled it perfectly. Thk you Manager!!! Everybody has a bad day so I'll definitely go back. No worries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find!sav0408Dined on 8/25/2014Extensive menu. good service and a historical atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for brunchLeeAnnDined on 8/24/2014Perfect way to end my long weekend in NYC with brunch at the Fraunces Tavern. Food was great and reasonably priced. My family keep telling me it was their favourite place to eat.Special Features:
- Great Bar :), Food and Service - :(OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014The place is excellent and has a great bar. The ambiance is probably one of the best around. Sadly, the food menu is minimal and leaves much to be desired.Special Features:
- 2waltzingcanucksehDined on 8/20/2014Short stroll from Native American Museum. Memorable lunch on a historic site with a stellar Whiskey list... does it get any better? Allow time to view the George Washington Museum above the Tavern.Special Features:
- Business LunchRickDined on 8/20/2014Cool place with lots of different rooms including nice bar areas. Impressive from a historical sense. Food was great as was the service. Definitely worth a visit.Special Features:
- Great NightolahDined on 8/15/2014The food and drinks at Fraunces Tavern were awesome. I would recommend the the Skirt Steak and any of the house brews.Special Features:
- BigApple VisitBigAppleDined on 8/14/2014My boss, was visiting New York and this was booked for a business lunch - he loved it - Very Oldie Woldie. Great Choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing dining experienceJCDinerDined on 8/12/2014In the hustle and bustle of downtown, it is hard to find a spot to eat that doesn't rush you through your meal. Fraunces takes you back to a slower, more relaxed time with a plethora of drink options and a nice diverse menu (in price too, from entrees in the 20 dollar range to a Tomahawk steak for two for $80. We had a lovely evening. Try their signature chicken pie--it's incredible!Special Features:
- Typical Pub FareDeputyAsst2ComishOfEatingDined on 8/9/2014Chicken pot pie was very good, served in an awesome super flaky bun/roll. My son had the burger; it was ehh. My wife had the fried chicken BLT - the bacon was outstanding. The place has a decent beer menu, but they were out of 2 of the ones I wanted to try. The server was friendly, but not too helpful. Not the place if you're looking for haute-cuisine, but if you're into history, this place is chock full of it: artwork on all the walls and museum upstairs.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Came for the HistoryMadridNYCDined on 8/5/2014We just wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to eat and drink in a historically significant place. However, we found Fraunces Tavern also to be a very pleasant environment with delicious food. Each of my party of three raved about their lunch, one of whom selected the lettuce wrap for her sandwich. She was very impressed. If you are allergic to wheat or diagnosed with celiac disease, you may still want to ask about flour on the fries. The staff is very nice and were quite welcoming, even though we were poking around a bit in the various rooms. I recommend it highly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fraunces Tavern: Burgers & History!AanooDined on 8/5/2014I have been to FT couple times and had pleasant experience. It's unlike any other dining establishment. I am a history buff so taking in a museum tour after the meal is a treat for me. For lunch I had their signature burger, which was prepared to my specification and was enjoyable. My companion had fish and chips and it was well done. Their craft beer list is quite extensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Brunchacclark1VIPDined on 8/3/2014A group of co-worker met for brunch before going to the Staten Island Yankees baseball game - food was great as were the drinks - and right across the street from the ferry - Had great food and a great time -Special Features:
- Met ExpectationsFamilyof5Dined on 7/31/2014We had a party of 5 with a reservation thru OpenTable. We were a few minutes late but the table was all set waiting for us. The waitress was very good and very friendly. The only odd part was that she did disappear towards the end of the evening but it didn't effect our service as others stepped in and didn't miss a beat. And they were very friendly and accommodating as well. Everyone enjoyed their entrees, particularly the Filet Mignon on a Stone. The beer selection and suggestions from our waitress were also very good. The atmosphere was what we expected and was cool. Overall a very nice dinner. We would recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most enjoyable..HeikeDined on 7/31/2014Arrived early for our "for 2" reservation, the dining room buzzing at 1 p.m.. Asked the receptionist to find us at the bar when our table was ready. A very good bartender, humor flying. Yes, we were found and our drinks transferred to a good table position near the window. The long tables full with young people or families. Noise level started rising strongly at 1:30 p.m.. Fish and chips wonderful, wine good. Table service attentive and friendly. But the food delivery very hurried, without waiting to hear if all was good, just dropping off the plate and racing off, it was peak hour, we understood. But waiter came back to check on us. When the long table groups cleared out, all became more peaceful, allowed more ability to talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab Frauncesluv2eatDined on 7/30/2014Took my out of town friends here who had never been to NY and they just loved it. Especially because my friend loves beer and there were 120 to choose form. The portions were huge and tasty. I had the puff pastry goat cheese tapanade without the tomatoes as I am allergic and it was yummy. My son and I had the fish and chips. THe french fries were exceptional as they were huge and potatoey and the batter was crunchy with flaky fish inside. Judy loved her chicken pot pie and Tom loved the Jambalaya. It was a very special and tummy filled evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Fraunces!MJNYCDined on 7/30/2014Food was absolutely delicious. I had the mahi mahi and it was just perfect. You can't beat standing in the same space that our founding fathers frequented!Special Features: