Frasca Food and Wine
1738 Pearl Street
Boulder, CO 80302Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Frasca Food and Wine
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.frascafoodandwine.com/
- Phone: (303) 442-6966
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Lachlan Mackinnon-Patterson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Frasca Food and Wine
Frasca is the creation of Master Sommelier Bobby Stuckey and chef Lachlan Mackinnon-Patterson. Their shared passion for Friuli-Venezia Giulian cuisine and fine wine is reflected in the exquisitely-prepared fare and a comprehensive wine list boasting over 200 varieties. The seasoned and professional staff ensures a memorable evening with their meticulous attention to detail, expert wine pairing, and extensive knowledge of the menu. And the pastoral, elegant dining room evokes the gracious and friendly feeling of traditional Italian Frascas. Warm, welcoming, and unpretentious, Frasca is the perfect destination for impromptu gatherings, casual dinners, and special occasions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Frasca Food and Wine - Best Restaurants in Boulder ›
Frasca Food and Wine reviews from OpenTable diners
131 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (101)special occasion (96)notable wine list (91)romantic (59)neighborhood gem (30)hot spot (25)good for groups (11)great for outdoor dining (6)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Pardon us normal folkMoreCheesePleaseDined on 11/21/2014I have eaten at every restaurant in Boulder and not a single one has an ego like this. The waiter nearly died when my fiancé asked if there were any alternative options for a dish during our dinner (I understand the meal is made to be eaten in order etc etc but when your paying $150 a person it's worth asking). No need to make her feel uncomfortable. Because we were not ordering $500 bottles of wine you would have thought we had Ebola by how often our waiter avoided us. The table next to us had dishes made and served table side while ours came plated from the back ( we ordered the same meal minus the wine). Ordered espresso was never served but definitely made it on the bill. Then we were questioned and the waiter questioned staff before it was removed as if we were trying to get a freebie. Food was phenomenal, everything was well cooked and seasoned and offered great flavor pairings, just wish the service and atmosphere was more welcoming and enjoyable. We were there to celebrate an engagement and it felt like they couldn't wait for us to leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special nightbigEDined on 11/19/2014Special experience, but obviously they do charge you for it. Every course was special and the service was both extremely friendly and professional. Excellent overall experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frasca:Very good but not for everyoneJohnDined on 11/18/2014Frasca is a very nice restaurant that does everything it can to cater to a higher class, well-to-do clientele. It's meal options are limited, somewhat exotic, and quite a bit more expensive than typical restaurant fare in this city. There are two choices in menus. One is a complete multi-course meal with no real choices and a suggested wine pairing for each meal. The other is a four or five course meal with some options for each. We had a four course meal. Each course is quite petite--without the full set of courses you would leave quite hungry. The food was well prepared. The wine list was extensive and, again, pricey. The one recommended to us was fairly good, but I would rate it as a bit ordinary, something I would expect at at a much lower price. In fact, we had a wine of a similar variety the night before at another restaurant at less than half the price, and it was a much better wine. The service was overall good, although it was a tad slow. We do like a leisurely dinner and time between courses, but there were times when we were more than a little anxious for the next one to arrive. That wine experience was a microcosm of the entire experience. Because of the restaurant's reputation, we went in hoping for a truly first class dining experience, and we got instead a meal that was very good, but not outstanding. At each course, we remarked to each other that it was very good, but there was no course that we raved about. At the price we paid, I was hoping to walk out feeling we had had an outstanding culinary experience, but we walked out instead feeling that we had had a very good culinary experience at inflated prices. Yes, I would recommend it to a friend, but not just any friend. That friend must understand the limits of that recommendation. That friend must want interesting and unusual meal choices and a varied list of wines with higher end choices. That friend would also not be inclined to think about the bill when deciding how nice the evening was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolute taste indulgence!CatiraDined on 11/18/2014The whole Frasca crew is passionate and knowledgeable about their food, and the Friulian back story (Friulia is the Italian region highlighted throughout Frasca's cuisine) adds to the overall dining experience. Exceptionally well-executed tasting menu. Worth the turnpike hike! Looking forward to an encore performance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monday tasting menuOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/17/2014Delicious! Absolutely lived up to the hype with very attentive waitstaff and a beautiful atmosphere. We went on a Monday where they do a tasting menu and optional wine pairing. Both were wonderful. We will definitely be back for our next special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/17/2014The food was excellent. Service was very professional and timely. We went on a Monday so we were not able to order from the menu but the fixed 4 course menu was great. It was not obvious to me that the cost on the wine by the glass on the far right was not the glass price but rather a taste. So when I ordered what I thought was a $17 glass it was really a $34 glass of wine. Likewise the $12.50 was $25. So maybe a little steap on the wine costs but the rest was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time we've been disappointed hereOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/14/2014Frasca has long been our go to place for celebratory meals, so I surprised my husband by flying him to Boulder for a birthday dinner here. We got the Chef's menu with wine pairings (well over $500 for the two of us after gratuity). As always at Frasca, the food was amazing and worth every penny. Unfortunately, service was DEFINITELY off this visit, and that is VERY unusual for them. Hopefully, this isn't the new normal for them, but our experience was bad enough that not only do we don't feel like we can recommend them to our friends as enthusiastically as we have in the past, but I'm not sure that this will remain our special occasion place.
- Best restaurant in the areafoodiemeVIPDined on 11/8/2014This is one of the very few restaurants around where it's worth spending money at. I can always count on excellent service, imaginative and wonderfully prepared season dishes, easy-on-the-eyes lighting inside, and the perfect way to end a day.Special Features:
- Back Again! Better Again.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014My daughter and I go here every month. We've always enjoyed it but last night was exceptionally good! We've been in August, September, October, and now November and I have to say that last night was the best. The octopus was delicious, so was the rigatoni, the cod was good for cod, and the apple tart was great too. The service was nice, not as attentive as usual... but we've had some issues with the service in the past and I think they are improving. If the goal is hospitality, and not service, they still have a little ways to go, but the service was good. The food was great. We'll be back...
- Almost but not yetKitayaVIPDined on 11/6/2014This restaurant was recommended to us as THE fine dining venue in Boulder. We did not expect that it would have to be a Michelin star restaurant but somewhere along those lines. However, in my opinion, it is just not it. Food : the food was certainly good and the portion was perfect for a 4-course meal. Nothing here was poorly prepared but it lacked refinement. Also, it was served on a plate that was comparatively too small and looked like an everyday-plate we use at home. Presentation: not worth taking picture. Wine : great choices of wine and knowledgeable sommelier and the wine glass was well chosen Service : good standardized service. Nothing exceptional or memorable. Bottom line : Price-quality wise, it is too expensive.Special Features:
- Outstanding but priceyDrmickjrVIPDined on 11/6/2014Frasca is always a wonderful dining experience. But it is also hard on the wallet. For us this means it is one of the restaurants available for very special occasions. The food is complex and sophisticated. This is not the place to dine if you want a steakhouse experience. The only reservation we have about the food is that sometimes creativity leads to food that departs from the traditional and time tested form, e.g. the gnocchi currently on offer, which taste more like rolled mashed potatoes in texture with none of the delicate bite that is typical of this dish. On the whole, though, we think the food is fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How can they charge that much?LoraLeeDined on 10/31/2014We had dinner at Frasca the other night because we had a gift card. The $100 didn't even cover the cost for one person. Tiny plates with tiny little food, if it wasn't for the pasta in my third corse, we would have had to go out to eat after this dinner. There were some high notes: the Fallen Fig cocktail, the tiny little soup sample was so smooth and delicious, the pear tart very nice. We won't be returning.Special Features:
- Highly ranked for a good reasonNJoWDined on 10/30/2014An excellent dining experience; innovative menu, tasty food, and outstanding service by the entire staff. For a special occasion or for just treating yourself, go here!Special Features:
- Totally lived up to expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/28/2014After seeing the review in 5280 magazine we had high expectations and Frasca lived up to it in every way. The service was fantastic. Friendly, professional team work where everyone that passed by our table was looking out for us while giving us the space to enjoy our meal and conversation. The cuisine was top notch, creative and satisfying. Well done by all.Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningfunfoodieDined on 10/27/2014Delicious food beautifully plated, friendly and attentive servicem and elegant yet relaxing atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frasca is Fantastic!TJDavisVIPDined on 10/24/2014This is our second time eating at Frascas and it was fantastic. This time we did the multiple course meal with wine pairing which was amazing. The food is sublime and the wine choices were perfect, as you would expect. I highly recommend this place for special events. It is very expensive, but well worth the experience. (I particularly enjoyed the seafood risotto which was made with a pungent seafood reduction broth that just exploded in your mouth). I already made reservations for December for a special meal with friends.Special Features:
- Frasca is Fundamentally FantasticChemEinCODined on 10/24/2014I made a reservation because of the Magazine 5280's number 1 rating. The receptionist suggested the kitchen seating which I would never have thought of. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it. We ate from the Chef's tasting menu (Friulano Tradizionale) and the optional wine flight. The Gnocchi and the Secondo(Berkshire Pork) were my favorite. We had an additional plate from the other menu a “Ravioli” with Whitefish, Farm Spinach and Shellfish Cream which was incredible. The staff was very nice and showed us around the kitchen and explained who was who, and what was what, and even put us to work sharpening knives which I appreciated because I need to know this stuff. Kudos to everyone, but the musical number is a work in progress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and wine pairing experienceDiner1VIPDined on 10/23/2014You can choose their set menu with pairings or ask for suggestions. Their staff is very knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!BethDined on 10/16/2014This was my second visit, and will not be my last. The service, food and wine list are all fantastic.Special Features:
- DisappointedBluedeer3Dined on 10/15/2014The food was mediocre and the service was not well trained. When asked how the food was criticism was not well received
- Just OKdatenightdinerDined on 10/11/2014We were super excited to try this restaurant and had made our reservations a month in advance. The staff was super friendly, helpful, and attentive. I loved that all staff helped or asked if we needed help, not just our assigned waiter. The prices are high so I expected a great food experience. I left feeling just "eh" about the food. My cocktail from the bar was amazing!Special Features:
- A birthday dinnerBappleDined on 10/9/2014What an amazing experience! This fine restaurant is the real deal. Service: from the moment we opened the door we were greeted and pampered, in spite of the fact we wear 45 minutes early for our reservation. The attention never stopped and the entire staff was involved. I let them know it was my wife's birthday, and throughout the evening members of the wait staff, floor mangers hosts and hostesses, wine stewards...everyone stopped by our table to say "Happy "Birthday." Extraordinary! The food, the suggested wine pairings, the atmosphere were incredible. This is clearly Boulder's premium restaurant. A cut above every place else...and we have been to most of them. Expensive? Oh, yes. Worth it? Absolutely!!!Special Features:
- Outstanding foodRedleaderDined on 10/7/2014This is likely the best restaurant in Colorado. Their attention to food quality is over the top and you will find dishes that include not only locally sourced ingredients but exotic ones as well - the sea urchin spaghetti with the wine the server suggested was a favorite all time. The prices are way high and I would have like to have seen a more traditional preparation with things like Semifreddo or zabaglione, but both were still very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the bestMontanefoodieDined on 10/7/2014Frasca has been our favorite dining experience in Boulder for the ten years we've been dining there. Simply a world - class restaurant and dining experience.Special Features:
- munchiesVIPDined on 10/6/2014Certainly lives up to it's reputation. Wonderful tasting menu and awesome wine flight. Lovely service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finest dining in BoulderconcussionbobDined on 10/2/2014The food and atmosphere here are probably the best in Boulder. The wine list is also amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but far from greatJm96Dined on 9/26/2014The welcome was exceptional - we were greeted by the owner himself. The service and attention was above average. The food was flavourful and well presented but the limitations of the menu were beyond annoying: obligation to partake in the 4-course plan, unwillingness of kitchen to serve certain items if the whole table did not partake, poor vegetarian options) All in all Frasca was a good but not great experience and not worth the $$$ bill payed.Special Features:
- Nice place but over pricedyoungoneDined on 9/24/2014Enjoyed dinner but did not find it worth the price especially when open table add gives it a 35-50 dollar price setting and dinners are 78 to 105. This said the menu was available with correct prices so there is a discontinuity between open table info and meny. Service was good and very attentive. If you strongly value your wine selection Frascas has a very good selection. Construction around restaurant also is a negative as it destracts from the area. Different servings varied from good to very good with the very good ones being the ones you paid extra for so spend the extra money and go all in if you want the best food.Special Features:
- Oh, My!HungryTravelersVIPDined on 9/23/2014We first dined here two years ago and enjoyed ourselves. Much has changed in the interim: with the larger space came a more expensive prix fixe menu and a veritable flock of aggressive (salespeople) servers. The food is still good but the whole thing is way overproduced and self-conscious. The one improvement is the new wine-by-the-glass policy: you can enjoy a full glass of wine or a (cunningly named) cajut or half-glass. Unaccountably, the upscale Northern Italian decor was accompanied by Country and Western music. Next time we're in town we'll try somewhere else.
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/18/2014We chose to go on the high end for our anniversary on both the dinner menu and the wine offerings and it was well worth it. The seven course meal was excellent and the wines were of high quality and perfect for various dishes. We will recommend this fine restaurant to friends.Special Features:
- WowDineReservedDined on 9/17/2014I know why Frasca is so highly rated by everyone. Everything was fantastic. it was the best diining experience that I have had in a long time. The food was sublime. The service was gracious and accommodating. I feel like we were fortunate to get a reservation only a few days prior to dining. Thanks for the personal touches regarding the special occasion that was being celebrated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best!JessicaMcVIPDined on 9/13/2014We have enjoyed fine dining all over this country and around the world. It simply does not get any better than Bobby Stuckey and his team of professionals at Frasca. Our tasting-menu experience was a delight in every way.Special Features:
- Keeps getting betterSooner52Dined on 9/11/2014We've eaten here now three times since we moved to the Boulder area. The service is extremely friendly and very knowledgeable. The food and wine are outstanding. The romance is provided by ourselves. But put super food with great service and an appreciation for our interest in celebration of 30 years together and Frasca is an ideal place.Special Features:
- FairOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/8/2014The meal was ok, however for the price and based on other recommendations, we were all disappointed.
- Even better than I rememberedalwayshungry4moreVIPDined on 9/6/2014It's not a wonder that Frasca is always at the top of the best restaurant list. The most unbelievable wine list in the state of Colorado.Special Features:
- Excellentfwlvr1VIPDined on 9/4/2014Food was fantastic on the eyes and in the mouth. Matthew was also fantastic in picking out the perfect wines.Special Features:
- Top-NotchSockoDined on 9/2/2014As most everyone knows by now, Frasca is top-notch in all aspects. If you were to find any down-side at all, it's that their serving size may be a little small for what you pay, but that is nit-picking. Service is excellent and the wine list is amazing - let Bobby pick out your wine.Special Features:
- excellentpattVIPDined on 9/1/2014we enjoyed a Monday night wine dinner... a special this time for the end of summer Labor day with wines chosen by the wine staff.. We had a lovely 3 course meal meal with wines paired with each course and a great dessert.. They are always great with food allergies too. It was a wonderful evening and meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant experience-Just overpricedfoodtravelerDined on 8/30/2014Food was elegant and the service was very good, but the cost seemed outsized even by NYC standards. To use an economic term, it was below my utility curve.Special Features:
- anonVIPDined on 8/23/2014One of the best restaurants around. Amazing food, impeccable service and just an all around wonderful experience.Special Features: