152 Shoreline Hwy
Mill Valley, CA 94941Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.frantoio.com/
- Phone: 4152895777
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Every night: 5:30pm - 10:00pm - Bar opens at 4:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Organic, Italian
- Executive Chef: John Eitel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer private rooms for 8 to 200 guests
- Special Events: Contact: Matt (415) 289 5777
A word from Frantoio Ristorante
Frantoio Ristorante is a casually elegant contemporary Italian restaurant specializing in fresh, organic, and wholesome cuisine. The menu is inspired by local ingredients and our very own olive oil. All breads, pastas, pizzas, pastries, and even gelatos are made in house using the highest quality ingredients. Our cocktails are exceptional! We feature an extensive list of both Californian and Italian wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Frantoio Ristorante - Best Restaurants in Mill Valley ›
Frantoio Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (43)special occasion (39)good for groups (37)neighborhood gem (34)notable wine list (20)romantic (18)vibrant bar scene (13)kid-friendly (10)hot spot (5)great for brunch (4)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- never disappointingcalifgalVIPDined on 10/23/2014it seems to get better on every visit. our server epitomized good service. the recommended pinot noir was one of the best i have had in a long time, the salad was light and perfectly dressed and the scallops were done to perfection.Special Features:
- Reliable great foodhannymaeVIPDined on 10/17/2014Interesting and varied menu with daily specials. Service is attentive and professional. All the staff was friendly and helpful. Wouldn't hesitate to return, great place to bring a group of friends. Thanks for a nice evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food; "reasonable" pricesDiningMattersVIPDined on 10/16/2014Since we only shared appetizers and salad, I can't really evaluate the food. But what we had was good -- not pretentious and ridiculously priced as are some Marin restaurants. Will need to return for a full meal.
- Olive Coming here! ;)DaflaresDined on 10/12/2014Great Italian food and extensive wine list. Perfect for groups and the romantic rendezvous. Service can be a little slow at times but then you just keep occupied talking about the huge elephant in the room (or olive press!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FrantoioyunkDined on 10/10/2014I am never dissapointed with the food or service at Frantoio. The waiters have been so helpful , courteous , and knowledgeable With thier wine list and menue. Fraontoio is a beautiful place to dine. I highly recommend it for you dinning pleasureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarioDined on 10/10/2014Really good restaurant. We taste the pizza . Was very good ... We are italian and We know what is a Good pizza...I would recommend this to a friend.
- marindinersVIPDined on 10/9/2014We have dined at Frantoio in the past and have always had a pleasant experience. This time the service was very slow. The restaurant was not that busy. The server failed to acknowledge that we were getting our food late and there was no complementary glass of wine or dessert to make up for the long wait we had. I will think twice before dining there again.
- Excellent food and serviceBBrownDined on 10/4/2014We had always intended to try Frantoio, but my significant other was always skeptical of a fine restaurant attached to a Holiday Inn Express. We were very pleasantly surprised by our experience. The food was outstanding - fish and lamb perfectly cooked, nice presentation, good portions. Service was very professional but not snooty.Special Features:
- Always Awesome!FoodLuvDined on 9/20/2014I have been a big fan of Frantoio's for years. I love risotto and will inevitably order it on any menu. In the back of my head, I'm searching a risotto that can top the risottos served at Frantoio's. Hands down, every time, I have never had a better one than those served here. In fact, I cannot say that I have had a bad dining experience. A couple favorite dishes include pan roasted day boat scallops, baked herb crusted pacific halibut w/crispy leeks & potato purée, mozzarella burrata and don't forget desert, esp. The deliciously moist & delectable chocolate tower!Special Features:
- Fantastic!!!lifeisgoodDined on 9/19/2014Fantastic Food, Wait Staff--wine list, bar....We had a wonderful time re-connecting with dear friends. This restaurant is a gem--super busy on a Friday night--but excellent service & food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Frantoio but ...SFeaterVIPDined on 9/12/2014The food was great, and the waiter charming as always, but service is suffering here. Very long waits between courses, lots of empty dishes and glasses sat on the table, and ultimately we ended up being there over 3 hours. But they were very accommodating of our child's birthday and friendly as always. The service just needs a little prod to keep it up to the standards of the food, which remains very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodCKinMarinVIPDined on 9/10/2014Our group of five friends had a very good meal here.food was well-prepared and fresh. Only hesitation is that the wait staff seemed like they were trying to move us on quickly. A bus boy tried to clear my plate before I was finished without even asking. The place was not over crowded so not sure what the rush was. We will probably go back but hope they will slow down a bit.Special Features:
- Abysmal servicePoirotVIPDined on 9/6/2014A cold, arrogant waiter delivered bread, water, and an appetizer; there then followed 35 minutes with no table visits before an over-salted main course was delivered by a busboy. Of course, the check was presented with a great flourish and a false smile in the mistaken expectation of a large tip.
- Perfect as UsualGinnyFVIPDined on 9/5/2014We live in Stinson and this is our "over the hill" local restaurant. Always LOVE eating here and being with our CHRIS, who we adore!Special Features:
- LockfordMackVIPDined on 9/1/2014We've eaten as Frantoio numerous time and have never been disappointed. From menu choices through cuisine and coffee this is an excellent Marin County choice for dining.Special Features:
- good homemade pastadebbieVIPDined on 8/31/2014Neighborhood gem that serves great pasta- The restaurant is open and airy- a little noisy. Wait staff is mixed- we've had wonderful service and lousy service. Fairly priced and dependable food.Special Features:
- Service to match the menu!EPFoodGuyDined on 8/30/2014The Chef's tasting Menu that night was outstanding! The service was really outstanding and their opinion on wine pairing was perfect. Be ready to spend $100+ for 2 people, but it's really worth it. Half dish orders were perfect to be able to try a little of everything (Big Noodles and Rabbit - yumm! Gnocchi - outstanding) If you are in the area, they may have a spot for you as it was full but never too full or too busy.. check out Frantoio!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ExperienceAllykaVIPDined on 8/29/2014Food mostly very good. Glitches: heirloom tomatoes that have the taste and texture of the usual mealy and unripe tomatoes that are not heirloom. Great expresso Service - excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently delicious!LouisaVIPDined on 8/23/2014We have dined at Frantoio many times and are always pleased with our service and the food. Every meal has been delicious, innovative and nicely presented. Whether it's a traditional Italian dish or something California nouveau, there's always an ingredient or two to make it their own. Thoroughly enjoyable and so nice that we can always count on a delicious meal.Special Features:
- JUDYVIPDined on 8/23/2014Excellent restaurant wit outstanding food and service! Can hardly wait to return!Special Features:
- Wonderful surprisehuckleberryguyDined on 8/15/2014Completely random choice caused by trading for a coupon to keep my airline miles active. Wow! Hoping for good and got a truly fine dining experience. The staff was notably warm, welcoming and available. The so-so looks of the building on the outside hide a fabulous and interesting design within. I can hardly wait to see the olive oil machinery of stone and stainless steel, visible thru a glass wall, in production mode. Every part of the meal exceeded hopes. I rarely finish a restaurant meal consisting of just the main course. At Frantoio, from salad to dessert was devoured and plates wiped with the bread for both my companion and myself. I'll be back!Special Features:
- A great dining experienceMillvalleyfoodieDined on 8/6/2014Frantoio is a favorite of ours and close to home, and we felt very welcomed back. We were very pleased that server extraordinaire, Jahmid,has returned and out friends were impressed with both the food and service. The day boat scallops, billed as a starter but offered to me as an entree with additional ones, were possibly the best I've had--tender and succulent with good char. I would have liked less oil on my insalata di spinaci, as requested. Others at our table enjoyed the always reliable sea bass and the very flavorful baby lamb chops. Frantoio is that rare dining room that is quite large but feels intimate, and where the noise level does not interfere with hearing one's own conversation. We will be back and hope to bring more friends.Special Features:
- Fine DiningDrPhilDined on 8/3/2014A true gem- who would think an italian restaurant next to a Holiday inn Express would be of such high caliber? Don't let on to too many folks how superb this gem is!Special Features:
- Terrific in every wayUWIS66VIPDined on 8/2/2014Menu choices = A. Food taste = A. Food creativity = A. Service = A. Presentation = A.Special Features:
- Dinner with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014We had friends from out of town, all had a great meal in a relaxing environment. The service was warm and attentive. Great to have such a great restaurant so close to home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A constant gemPflowerVIPDined on 7/29/2014We have dined here for many years. Not once a week but perhaps once a month. We have never been disappointed with the food or service. Upon occasion, when being there on a really busy night, the noise level can be quite Uncomfortable....that said...we love this place. Only a handful of restUrants in Marin where you can get food AND service so consistently wonderful! Always one of our favorites..... Nineteen years and counting......congratulations!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mill Valley residentellaVIPDined on 7/24/2014GREAT food as usual. We have dined here for special events over the past several years. Always delicious. Buccatini Ametriciana was shared as an appetizer. Grilled steak entree' was over the top. Cooked exactly as requested. Wine was well-priced and went well with the meal. Service was attentive but not over-bearing.Special Features:
- book a booth in your reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/19/2014we made a reservation but did not specify anything. when we saw the dining room we decided we wanted a booth, so the hostess made accomodations, and after a short wait in the friendly bar we were seated at a cozy booth. Two of us split 4 things from the menu - all excellent, and the staff accomadated by splitting the food onto 2 plates in the kitchen. The chocolate tower dessert was heavenly!Special Features:
- Really good!luv2eatDined on 7/19/2014Everything here was just right! The menu is diverse and the food is excellent. We have been back many times and the quality is enduring. Great pizzas!Special Features:
- Sandy C.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/12/2014We found the service abrupt. Our Italian server was below par. He seemed very busy and did just the minimum. My classic Caesar salad was smothered in dressing, much heavier than I would have liked. My companions however enjoyed the pasta and pizza.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great choicelocaldinerVIPDined on 6/29/2014It was a pleasure to be in a restaurant that served good food and drink in a comfortable setting with minimal noise. Yes...our 6-person group was able to easily enjoy our meal and conversation around the table. What a treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 726 reviews are from the Frantoio Ristorante reviews archive.
- SurprisedjamesmitchellDined on 6/26/2014Given this place is in a very weird location and attached or close to a Holiday Inn, we didn't know what to expect. We were both quite and pleasantly surprised. They had a decent cab which I enjoy and Martin's risotto and steak and my lamb chops were outstanding! We ended luxuriating over dinner while we caught up with each other for close to 2 hours.. I recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for private ConversationgourmetDined on 6/21/2014Frantoio has excellent food and beautiful high ceilings and plenty of private booths. I love this restaurant when I want to visit with old friends and catch up. The wait staff is experienced and professional. It feels like you are having dinner in your own dining room because it is so sound insulated. Plenty of delicious olive oil and bread to start. Excellent wine list. Moderate pricing for an upscale Marin Restaurant. Pizza if you want to bring the age 10-ish and up kids. Exotic seafood if you want to bring the boss. Great restaurant all around!Special Features:
- DisappointmentSalamanderDined on 6/20/2014I should have known when we walked in on a Friday night at 7pm and it was quite empty that it wasn't as good as I read on yelp. When I saw the small, in impressive Caesar salad on a plate as we waited for the hostess should have been my second clue. Waiter was nice and attentive. I thought since he was authentic Italian himself that the food would be. Wrong... Lmu husband had the ravilois and they were mushy and flavorless and I had the halibut that was small, over cooked it was hard and so buttery/greasy. Disappointed because so many nice restaurnats in the area.
- Why go out?FilippoVIPDined on 6/12/2014Very mediocre food. The bread was very good and the carpaccio was decent. The pastas (one with octopus and another with salmon and peas) were particularly disappointing. Some cheese might have helped even though one is not supposed to put it on seafood pasta. My wife left half of her salmon pasta in the plate. Won't go back since there are so many superior restaurants in Marin. It was good the last time.
- Dinner experienceRifrafDined on 6/9/2014Very welcoming Good food, good service Would definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service.TwoMichelinTiresDined on 6/5/2014They took our 9.45pm reservation, we arrived on time, but when we arrived told us the kitchen was closing and that we had to hurry up and order. The server hovered at the table and pressured us into getting an order in, so we had to choose almost at random. After the painful process of ordering we were told to take our time and enjoy our dinner, and were the last table at the restaurant whilst the staff started to close up. A member of the kitchen team came out glared at us and asked the server why we were still here, loud enough that I could hear. They shouldn't have accepted the reservation.
- neighborhood gemdebbieVIPDined on 5/31/2014Passed by many times finally decided to try it. Very pleasant experience! Most of the customers are regulars- always a good sign! Food was very good, wait staff was excellent. The ambiance was casual and relaxed- attractively decorated. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kg11VIPDined on 5/31/2014The physical layout of the restaurant is not very cozy or intimate. One big room, brightly lit. Like the space is too large for the restaurant. The olive press (which they feature) stands alone in a glass, sealed off, unlit room and looks sorta looming and "lonely". On the bright side...the food was well prepared, fresh and tasty. We both enjoyed our meal. The pastas were home made and cooked to perfection. They offer "gelato" but it really was much more like ice cream. Not thick and tasted very light in flavor. The home baked cookies they served w/the ice cream were delicious! I could've just had a plate of those and been very happy. I would go back, but not our "go to" italian.
- Lovely AtmosphereCATEDined on 5/24/2014Great service, great table, charming female server, pleasant evening with friends.Special Features: