152 Shoreline Hwy
Mill Valley, CA 94941Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.frantoio.com/
- Phone: 4152895777
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Every night: 5:30pm - 10:00pm - Bar opens at 4:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Organic, Italian
- Executive Chef: John Eitel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer private rooms for 8 to 200 guests
- Special Events: Contact: Matt (415) 289 5777
A word from Frantoio Ristorante
Frantoio Ristorante is a casually elegant contemporary Italian restaurant specializing in fresh, organic, and wholesome cuisine. The menu is inspired by local ingredients and our very own olive oil. All breads, pastas, pizzas, pastries, and even gelatos are made in house using the highest quality ingredients. Our cocktails are exceptional! We feature an extensive list of both Californian and Italian wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Frantoio Ristorante - Best Restaurants in Mill Valley ›
Frantoio Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (37)special occasion (34)fit for foodies (32)good for groups (28)romantic (14)notable wine list (12)kid-friendly (8)great for brunch (6)vibrant bar scene (6)hot spot (3)great for lunch (2)late-night find (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Consistently delicious!LouisaDined on 8/23/2014We have dined at Frantoio many times and are always pleased with our service and the food. Every meal has been delicious, innovative and nicely presented. Whether it's a traditional Italian dish or something California nouveau, there's always an ingredient or two to make it their own. Thoroughly enjoyable and so nice that we can always count on a delicious meal.Special Features:
- JUDYVIPDined on 8/23/2014Excellent restaurant wit outstanding food and service! Can hardly wait to return!Special Features:
- Wonderful surprisehuckleberryguyDined on 8/15/2014Completely random choice caused by trading for a coupon to keep my airline miles active. Wow! Hoping for good and got a truly fine dining experience. The staff was notably warm, welcoming and available. The so-so looks of the building on the outside hide a fabulous and interesting design within. I can hardly wait to see the olive oil machinery of stone and stainless steel, visible thru a glass wall, in production mode. Every part of the meal exceeded hopes. I rarely finish a restaurant meal consisting of just the main course. At Frantoio, from salad to dessert was devoured and plates wiped with the bread for both my companion and myself. I'll be back!Special Features:
- A great dining experienceMillvalleyfoodieDined on 8/6/2014Frantoio is a favorite of ours and close to home, and we felt very welcomed back. We were very pleased that server extraordinaire, Jahmid,has returned and out friends were impressed with both the food and service. The day boat scallops, billed as a starter but offered to me as an entree with additional ones, were possibly the best I've had--tender and succulent with good char. I would have liked less oil on my insalata di spinaci, as requested. Others at our table enjoyed the always reliable sea bass and the very flavorful baby lamb chops. Frantoio is that rare dining room that is quite large but feels intimate, and where the noise level does not interfere with hearing one's own conversation. We will be back and hope to bring more friends.Special Features:
- Fine DiningDrPhilDined on 8/3/2014A true gem- who would think an italian restaurant next to a Holiday inn Express would be of such high caliber? Don't let on to too many folks how superb this gem is!Special Features:
- Terrific in every wayUWIS66Dined on 8/2/2014Menu choices = A. Food taste = A. Food creativity = A. Service = A. Presentation = A.Special Features:
- Dinner with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014We had friends from out of town, all had a great meal in a relaxing environment. The service was warm and attentive. Great to have such a great restaurant so close to home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A constant gemPflowerVIPDined on 7/29/2014We have dined here for many years. Not once a week but perhaps once a month. We have never been disappointed with the food or service. Upon occasion, when being there on a really busy night, the noise level can be quite Uncomfortable....that said...we love this place. Only a handful of restUrants in Marin where you can get food AND service so consistently wonderful! Always one of our favorites..... Nineteen years and counting......congratulations!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mill Valley residentellaVIPDined on 7/24/2014GREAT food as usual. We have dined here for special events over the past several years. Always delicious. Buccatini Ametriciana was shared as an appetizer. Grilled steak entree' was over the top. Cooked exactly as requested. Wine was well-priced and went well with the meal. Service was attentive but not over-bearing.Special Features:
- book a booth in your reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/19/2014we made a reservation but did not specify anything. when we saw the dining room we decided we wanted a booth, so the hostess made accomodations, and after a short wait in the friendly bar we were seated at a cozy booth. Two of us split 4 things from the menu - all excellent, and the staff accomadated by splitting the food onto 2 plates in the kitchen. The chocolate tower dessert was heavenly!Special Features:
- Really good!luv2eatDined on 7/19/2014Everything here was just right! The menu is diverse and the food is excellent. We have been back many times and the quality is enduring. Great pizzas!Special Features:
- Sandy C.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/12/2014We found the service abrupt. Our Italian server was below par. He seemed very busy and did just the minimum. My classic Caesar salad was smothered in dressing, much heavier than I would have liked. My companions however enjoyed the pasta and pizza.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great choicelocaldinerVIPDined on 6/29/2014It was a pleasure to be in a restaurant that served good food and drink in a comfortable setting with minimal noise. Yes...our 6-person group was able to easily enjoy our meal and conversation around the table. What a treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisedjamesmitchellDined on 6/26/2014Given this place is in a very weird location and attached or close to a Holiday Inn, we didn't know what to expect. We were both quite and pleasantly surprised. They had a decent cab which I enjoy and Martin's risotto and steak and my lamb chops were outstanding! We ended luxuriating over dinner while we caught up with each other for close to 2 hours.. I recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for private ConversationgourmetDined on 6/21/2014Frantoio has excellent food and beautiful high ceilings and plenty of private booths. I love this restaurant when I want to visit with old friends and catch up. The wait staff is experienced and professional. It feels like you are having dinner in your own dining room because it is so sound insulated. Plenty of delicious olive oil and bread to start. Excellent wine list. Moderate pricing for an upscale Marin Restaurant. Pizza if you want to bring the age 10-ish and up kids. Exotic seafood if you want to bring the boss. Great restaurant all around!Special Features:
- DisappointmentSalamanderDined on 6/20/2014I should have known when we walked in on a Friday night at 7pm and it was quite empty that it wasn't as good as I read on yelp. When I saw the small, in impressive Caesar salad on a plate as we waited for the hostess should have been my second clue. Waiter was nice and attentive. I thought since he was authentic Italian himself that the food would be. Wrong... Lmu husband had the ravilois and they were mushy and flavorless and I had the halibut that was small, over cooked it was hard and so buttery/greasy. Disappointed because so many nice restaurnats in the area.
- Why go out?FilippoVIPDined on 6/12/2014Very mediocre food. The bread was very good and the carpaccio was decent. The pastas (one with octopus and another with salmon and peas) were particularly disappointing. Some cheese might have helped even though one is not supposed to put it on seafood pasta. My wife left half of her salmon pasta in the plate. Won't go back since there are so many superior restaurants in Marin. It was good the last time.
- Dinner experienceRifrafDined on 6/9/2014Very welcoming Good food, good service Would definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service.TwoMichelinTiresDined on 6/5/2014They took our 9.45pm reservation, we arrived on time, but when we arrived told us the kitchen was closing and that we had to hurry up and order. The server hovered at the table and pressured us into getting an order in, so we had to choose almost at random. After the painful process of ordering we were told to take our time and enjoy our dinner, and were the last table at the restaurant whilst the staff started to close up. A member of the kitchen team came out glared at us and asked the server why we were still here, loud enough that I could hear. They shouldn't have accepted the reservation.
- neighborhood gemdebbieDined on 5/31/2014Passed by many times finally decided to try it. Very pleasant experience! Most of the customers are regulars- always a good sign! Food was very good, wait staff was excellent. The ambiance was casual and relaxed- attractively decorated. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kg11VIPDined on 5/31/2014The physical layout of the restaurant is not very cozy or intimate. One big room, brightly lit. Like the space is too large for the restaurant. The olive press (which they feature) stands alone in a glass, sealed off, unlit room and looks sorta looming and "lonely". On the bright side...the food was well prepared, fresh and tasty. We both enjoyed our meal. The pastas were home made and cooked to perfection. They offer "gelato" but it really was much more like ice cream. Not thick and tasted very light in flavor. The home baked cookies they served w/the ice cream were delicious! I could've just had a plate of those and been very happy. I would go back, but not our "go to" italian.
- Lovely AtmosphereCATEDined on 5/24/2014Great service, great table, charming female server, pleasant evening with friends.Special Features:
- GourmandGourmandVIPDined on 5/18/2014This restaurant is always great & the smoked salmon pizza is worth a special visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a 'whenever' treatChrisDined on 5/17/2014Easy to access and foo, service and wine did not dissappoint. Reservation was easy and it was busy.Special Features:
- great for family outingsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/5/2014Plenty of room and kid friendly. They have private rooms for extra-large groups and do not fee "industrial".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 714 reviews are from the Frantoio Ristorante reviews archive.
- Great food!MillValleyfoodieDined on 4/26/2014We had a great evening. We were celebrating two birthdays in our group of 5 and brought a special and very expensive bottle of wine. When the bus person knocked over my husband's glass of wine it went all over him and the table. The manager came over immediately to address the matter and offered to buy us any bottle we wanted. Now, that's the way a restaurant should act when s***t happens. We enjoyed the evening in spite of the mishap.Special Features:
- Over all.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/24/2014Though polite and efficient service, it was on the slow side.Special Features:
- GinnieleeVIPDined on 4/18/2014Great neighborhood rest. We always go with friends and it is a great place to catch up on things happening in our lives.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need Some TweakslocalinthehoodVIPDined on 4/17/2014Stale bread, music did not fit the ambiance and was too loud. Nice selection of red wine by the glass but unfortunately it's too hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In a word..."wonderful!"BigAlVIPDined on 4/16/2014A couple of years since I have been here. Next time I won't wait so long to go back. We were a party of three. All raved about their entrees, and my wife loved the house Chardonnay. Pasta with rabbit was the choice of one dinner, a fish special was chosen by my. and I had the salmon poached in olive oil. It was a new dish for me and I loved it. Definitely will repeat.Special Features:
- I strayed from my usual entreeFranVIPDined on 4/3/2014I strayed from my usual entree and tried the special risotto with hedgehog chanterelles and sausage---delicious! I love the caesar salad but they do seem to skimp on the dressing--asking for anchovies helps give it the right flavor. Chris did his usual wonderful job of making dinner suggestions and offering a taste of a wine before ordering.
- Good ItalianNapparDined on 4/2/2014This is not your spaghetti and meatball Italian. They had some interesting dishes. I had the mushroom ravioli. It was good, but could have used a little more flavor, just a tad bit bland. Portions are in the small side. Normally my husband and I split a salad, this would not have worked here. The waiter did tell us the salads were not large. The entree dishes were "adequate " in size. The best thing for me was they have panna cotta - my favorite Italian dessert. It was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!StellaDined on 3/30/2014A wonderful dining experience! Everything was perfect -- food, service, atmosphere... couldn't have asked for more!Special Features:
- Favoloso!!TravelerDined on 3/22/2014Had hotel reservations at the Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley before looking for a great nearby Italian restaurant and were delighted to hear that Frantoio was right next door to our hotel! We had a fabulous dinner -- everything was terrific and we were thrilled with the wine selections. Everything we ordered was amazing. And we loved the bread and the olive oil!!! We wanted to just drink it, it's so good. Our server, Deborah, was the best!! We had such a great time with her. We would go back in a heartbeat. A wonderful evening -- and we were there all evening -- no one hurried us as we ordered an appetizer , drank wine, chatted and ordered more food later.... LOVELY!!!! Only wish I didn't live across the country from this great restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere. Able toQ649Dined on 3/22/2014Great atmosphere. Able to order full entrees or appetizer size. Has a tasting menu. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/21/2014My sweetie and I had a one year anniversary of our first date and I wanted to go someplace special that wouldn't break my humble musician bank. Frantoio was all that and much more. I would recommend to anyone who enjoys a nice meal in a nice setting without all the SF foodie snobbism.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a dedicated eating pleasureKeithDined on 3/21/2014On repeated visits, we have found Frantoio to be caring place. The food maybe the best in Mill Valley, but the prices are well below that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful as usual especiallyFranVIPDined on 3/15/2014Delightful as usual especially our waiter Chris's sense of humor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something wrong in the kitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/6/2014I have eaten many times at Frantoio. The food is always good . This time our dinners were just not up to par. In fact one of the diners returned his meal altogether as it was thoroughly over cooked. The restaurant was apologetic and replaced the dinner and comped a glass of wine. Frantoio can do a lot better and should.Special Features:
- Another delicious DinnermveatingoutDined on 3/5/2014Twice in the past month I've had dinner with friends at Frantoio and both times it was an excellent experience. I had the papardelle with rabbit on Wednesday night and it was so amazingly delicious. I'd reserved the corner booth in the front -- great spot. Good ambiance, not too noisy -- 4 of us could carry on conversation without yelling and we weren't competing with other diners conversations. Relaxing, completely enjoyable and very delicious food. One friend had lamb chops and raved. Another had pasta with shrimp and loved it. Jill went soup and salad and was very satisfied. Highly recommend Frantoio.Special Features: