Frankie & Johnnie's Steakhouse - Manhattan
32 West 37th
New York, NY 10018Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Frankie & Johnnie's Steakhouse - Manhattan
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://frankieandjohnnies.com/steakhouses/frankieandjohnnies.html
- Phone: (212) 947-8940
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 12:00pm-3:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:00pm-10:30pm,; Friday & Saturday 4:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Pedro Benitez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Fireplace, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
A word from Frankie & Johnnie's Steakhouse - Manhattan
Established 1926 Frankie and Johnnie's Steakhouse is located in the former townhouse of John Barrymore. Frankie and Johnnie's Steakhouse has a look that is sleek and uncluttered, with a warmth that is inviting to all its guests. The menu is distinguished with its exceptional quality of USDA certified prime dry-aged beef and a secret blend of spices that season every steak before it hits the grill.Continued
VOTED #1 STEAKHOUSE IN NEW YORK BY CITYSEARCH USERS
WINE SPECTATOR AWARD OF EXCELLENCE
INTERNATIONAL STAR DIAMOND AWARD
VOTED #1 STEAKHOUSE IN NEW YORK BY CITYSEARCH USERS
WINE SPECTATOR AWARD OF EXCELLENCE
INTERNATIONAL STAR DIAMOND AWARD
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Frankie & Johnnie's Steakhouse - Manhattan reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (45)romantic (36)notable wine list (28)good for groups (26)neighborhood gem (22)fit for foodies (18)great for lunch (15)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Good Food, Not So Good ServiceSharineDined on 2/28/2014I went to Frankie & Johnnies's Steakhouse on 37th Street for NYC Restaurant Week. The food was very tasty and our server was attentive. My dissatisfaction was with the bus boys: the young man that brought back our food after it was wrapped up to go, just abruptly dropped our bag on our table, without saying a word and kept walking. When we got home and took out our to go containers, my husband realized that the three strips of steak that i put on his plate were not there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girlfriend Catch UpskspeteDined on 2/28/2014I met two of my friends there and we had a great time. The menu was varied enough for each of us to order something different and taste-test everyone's plate. The staff was very attentive and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My buddy and I had a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/27/2014My buddy and I had a great time there. The service is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodAndrewecklDined on 2/25/2014Excellent food. The service was a little slow but very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I loved the food and the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/25/2014I loved the food and the service was great- I have no complaintsSpecial Features:
- Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/24/2014The menu had more options then the other places during restaurant week was why I chose this place. My group tried everything on this menu and all was DELICIOUS. A bit salty for me since I'm used to no salt but none the less the food was FABULOUSLY cooked. The bread basket also had several options and this too was delicious. I wanted to ask for take-out just for the bread it was that good. I had a lovely time with friends and will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotJohannaDined on 2/22/2014We went to dinner for Restaurant Week. We had heard good things about Frankie and Johnny's other location in NJ so we wanted to try this one. We were not disappointed. We arrived early and were promptly seated. The wait staff was very attentive. The food arrived within a reasonable amount of time. Everything we ate was very good. There wasn't one thing that we didn't like. We would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch Restaurant Week ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/21/2014My brother and I went for lunch because it was restaurant week, it was very good! For a starter we both had the salad, somewhat boring, nothing too special. For the main course we both had the filet, it was very good with the sauce that was on it! The dessert might have been the best! It was a coffee gelato with chunks of chocolate pieces mixed in. VERY GOOD!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always used to going to thewirelesskenDined on 2/20/2014Always used to going to the "other" location in the theater district... Never realized there were other locations in Manhattan. 37rh street is convenient to Penn Station.... and the dining is excellent as always. I brought my daughter... She loves it at both locations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant Week experienceJimboDined on 2/20/2014Great deal, outstanding service and an excellent steak perfectly cooked. Wine was overpriced but so what, everything else was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyableCoop1220Dined on 2/19/2014I have dined at this establishment on several occasions. I have enjoyed it each and every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerfyodoreVIPDined on 2/19/2014This was a great dinner. I reserve my 5 stars for restaurants that are the top of the line. This was a great please to have dinner and hope to be back. The staff was particularly great. Always had water, bread, and they let us take our time ordering and didn't rush or delay. The food was great and the fluffer gelato was amazing. I would go back just for that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodalexVIPDined on 2/19/2014The dinner was delicious. The service was cold and indifferent ( Restaurant week).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solidly great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/19/2014The food tasted great! The service was very attentive. Great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak House misstepOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/18/2014I am a major steakhouse enthusiast and I was unimpressed with Frankie and Johnnie's. The staff was snotty and the food wasn't great. Overall, I wish I went to Sparks Steakhouse and got the meal I was expecting.
- simply greatscottnVIPDined on 2/18/2014very nice room, very attentive service, great food. there is nothing complicated here. great steaks, great salads, great side dishes, a very nice wine list.Special Features:
- My ReviewReviewer123VIPDined on 2/18/2014Food was excellent! Loved the crab cakes. I had the black linguini and shrimp. Was not sure how I would like the black linguini and it was AMAZING. I also had a piece of my friends steak and the meat was so tenser to perfection must go have dinner hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food; avoid downstairssardarVIPDined on 2/17/2014The food was great, the service good, but the downstairs seating next to the bar was marred by a loud customerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely excellent experienceBellRockDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I ate here on Valentine's Day after looking for some great steak options in NYC; and absolutely made the right choice. From the moment we walked in, the service was excellent. Great demeanors by the entire staff from start to finish made the experience and price tag well worthwhile. Food wise everything was prepared perfectly and the menu options were broad enough for any taste. My wife got the surf and turf and I had the veal chop. We also shared a cold seafood plate as an appetizer that included clams, oysters, lump crab, shrimp, and lobster. I believe it was a Valentine's Day special only but it was one of the best and freshest seafood plates I've had anywhere. We will surely return next time we're in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/10/2014Husband and I went for dinner on our first night in NYC. We've visited the city many times and had some fabulous meals but sadly this wasn't one of them. The food was distinctly average. The steaks were just about ok, the fries were stale and burnt as were the mushrooms and onions. The service so understated it was brusque. We chose just a main meal each, no appetisers or dessert and just one glass of wine and beer. The bill came to over $165. What's more, they include service at 20%, then have the cheek to add tax on the total. Service should be optional and definitely not taxed. Very disappointing.
- Time for a makeoverwstmarlkVIPDined on 2/8/2014The food was excellent but the restaurant could be stunning with a makeover of the interior and some new staff. Old jaded waiters. Also three hours after we dined open table reservation was cancelled, like a scam to not award points. One call the the restaurant quickly got that resolved, but shady.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/30/2014This place is great. Not pretentious and no obnoxious up sell on items. It stands up to any NYC steakhouse IMO.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early dinner before concertTommyDined on 1/27/2014The food was excellent. We had pork chops which were prepared perfectly and filet chopped steak which was delicious. The classic salad was chopped and had a very good dressing. Did not care for the potato pancakes. They were ok but much different than expected. The fried zuchini was outstanding, bread very good and steak sauce worth purchasing to take home. We did not have desert but enjoyed specialty coffee. Very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for BusinessGaryHDined on 1/22/2014Found Frankie and Johnnies by accident one night. They fit us in without a reservation and treated us like we were their best customer. Our clients absolutely loved the ambiance. Food was very good with a varied selection of beef and fish. The wine list was reasonable with a varied selection. I would recommend Frankie and Johnnies to anyone who wants to have a great meal in a relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic NY SteakhouseScotteeDined on 1/18/2014We had a warm fireside table and a great dinner! Flavor of the steak was delicious although I will ask for a touch less salt on my next visit.Special Features:
- Great SteakGreatDiningDined on 1/18/2014We really enjoy our visit to Frankie & Johnnie's Steakhouse, the food was delicious. The restaurant is visually appealing and the food presentation is beautiful. The staff is very attentive and friendly. It was worth coming, and we thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience. We would definitely return..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best service Greta foodFabulousDined on 1/17/2014We had the pleasure of dining on a Friday night before the theatre. From the minute we were greeted and seated the service and ambiance was great. I would recommend the tomato and mozzarella salad to start. The freshest tomatoes we very had. The steaks were cooked to perfection. Our waiter Lazlo, the Captain and wit staff were terrific, they made us feel like regular customers and were so informative too. I would go back again and recommend to all our friends. This is a great Steak House in mid town.Special Features:
- A solid steak house !Theek111Dined on 1/13/2014I found Frankie and Johnny's on the internet by luck, I was in town for a trade show and brought two business associates with me. All where pleased and full. We had porterhouse for three and there was nothing left but the bone. We had the vanilla and chocolate moose cake with some vanilla ice cream, it was one of the best pieces of cake I have ever had. BTW, I eat a lot of steak hoses and this is on par with the best of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbJohnFVIPDined on 1/11/2014This was a wonderful, un rushed evening. Each course was succulent and presented well. The staff was conscious of our need for conversation and carried out serving all courses well Will returnSpecial Features:
- Awesome!!!Luv2eatVIPDined on 1/7/2014Simply incredible!!! Food was & service incredible!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificDebborahmDined on 1/4/2014This restaurant had exceptional service, and the food was great.We arrived early for our reservation, and we were seated right away. I would recommend this place to everyone.The surf and turf was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteaksOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/24/2013Four people had steaks - two filets and the rib eye for two - steaks were cooked perfectly, very tender and exceptionally tasty. Can't say the same for the mashed potatoes...a little mealy and thin. Salad was Ok - 90% ice berg lettuce with some cukes. Ambience was great though - nice small, local feel - saw a local celeb (Hubie Brown) eating next to us. A fun time, but for the price, would have expected better side dishes.Special Features:
- Bumpy Start, Great FinishOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/21/2013We arrived early for our reservation and was seated promptly. Our waiter must have been wired for the pre-theatre crowd because he was eager to take our order and move us out. After a brusk exchange that we wanted a long and quiet evening, he settled down and was very accommodating. Cocktails arrived and were delicious - I ordered an Amarone from the wine list which I happy to see. Our meals were fine - even though the preparation of our steaks were reversed from our order. My wife's filet arrived medium and my filet arrived medium rare - the opposite of what we wanted. We didn't say anything - they were still delicious. Prices are what you would expect at a New York steakhouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewMichelleDined on 12/21/2013I went here for dinner with my boyfriend. It is a great place to go on a date. The wine was delicious. The filet mignon was so tender.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our second visitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/14/2013This was our second visit to Frankie & Johnnie's and it was once again excellent!Special Features:
- Absolutely wonderful!Ash4Dined on 12/14/2013The service was perfect. The steak was amazing and the ambience couldn't be better. So impressed!Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/14/2013Were not given a wine menu. Waiter had a poor personality and never came by at the beginning to offer wine just walked up and asked us if we were ready to order our food without even giving any specials. It was one of the worst service experiences I have had especially for a nice place.Special Features:
- Best steak ever!NinerFanDined on 12/13/2013I had the dry-aged ribeye and have to admit that I have never had a steak that wonderful! The wait staff were friendly and accommodating and never made us feel rushed. I truly felt like I had THE NYC dining experience and I'd go back in a heartbeat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Night on in the Big CityOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/12/2013Our College roommates and husbands were meeting in NYC for a reunion for 2 days. We made reservations at Frankie and Johnnie's but didn't know that there were two locations. When we got to the one location that we thought we were going to, they didn't have our reservation. It was 12 degrees in that night and blustery cold. We had to walk about another 15 blocks to get to the correct restaurant. But the hostess did call ahead to the other location to let them know that we were going to be late. The food was amazing. The place was extremely noisy and we had a difficult time having a conversation. The service was not really great, but they tried . All in all, I would recommend for the food, but ask to be put in a quieter corner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary diningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/12/2013We recently dined here for a special occasion and were made to feel like old friends, not new visitors. The food and service were both terrific! Gus greeted us and stopped back to chat later on about the history of the building!! Fabulous meal and overall experience !! Highly recommend !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.