Frankie & Johnnie's Steakhouse - Manhattan
32 West 37th
New York, NY 10018Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Frankie & Johnnie's Steakhouse - Manhattan
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://frankieandjohnnies.com/steakhouses/frankieandjohnnies.html
- Phone: (212) 947-8940
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 12:00pm-3:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:00pm-10:30pm,; Friday & Saturday 4:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Pedro Benitez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Fireplace, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
A word from Frankie & Johnnie's Steakhouse - Manhattan
Established 1926 Frankie and Johnnie's Steakhouse is located in the former townhouse of John Barrymore. Frankie and Johnnie's Steakhouse has a look that is sleek and uncluttered, with a warmth that is inviting to all its guests. The menu is distinguished with its exceptional quality of USDA certified prime dry-aged beef and a secret blend of spices that season every steak before it hits the grill.Continued
VOTED #1 STEAKHOUSE IN NEW YORK BY CITYSEARCH USERS
WINE SPECTATOR AWARD OF EXCELLENCE
INTERNATIONAL STAR DIAMOND AWARD
VOTED #1 STEAKHOUSE IN NEW YORK BY CITYSEARCH USERS
WINE SPECTATOR AWARD OF EXCELLENCE
INTERNATIONAL STAR DIAMOND AWARD
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Frankie & Johnnie's Steakhouse - Manhattan reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (43)romantic (33)notable wine list (26)good for groups (24)neighborhood gem (22)fit for foodies (18)great for lunch (14)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- Great steak!SimonDined on 7/22/2014For someone who doesn't crave much about steaks, I do have to say the filet mignon do taste good at FJ.Special Features:
- Not good for restaurant weekthw1Dined on 7/22/2014I ordered crab cake and steak (medium rare) And the crab cake was very salty and doesn't taste good My steak was overcooked so I asked them to change a new one for me The dessert was probably the only one course that I like it. (Gelato of the day) My friend order calms and pork chop same thing, calms were very salty and not that fresh Pork chop was too dry and salty Bread pudding was just fine.. It was a little disappointed.Special Features:
- FantasticGreensThoughtsVIPDined on 7/19/2014Multiple times we have visited and every time it's been amazing. They go out of their way to ensure your event is special. We celebrated my sisters birthday and they did everything from present the cake to let us use their complimentary shuttle. The food was delectable as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!!!cinone1998Dined on 7/19/2014We were celebrating our 16th wedding anniversary and couldn't have asked for a better experience. The filet mignon we had melted in our mouths. It was by far the best steak we ever had! we will definitely be going backSpecial Features:
- Quality steaksJerseyMikeDined on 7/11/2014Great quality steaks cooked to perfection and delivered to the table by courteous and professional staffSpecial Features:
- dine24Dined on 6/25/2014the staff were very nice and accommodating food was very tasty enjoyed the experienceSpecial Features:
- Amazing Dining ExperienceavidfoodieDined on 6/21/2014I enjoyed dining at Frankie and Johnnies over the weekend very much. The food and service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/20/2014The crab cake appetizer was very greasy with hash browns on it. I returned it for a salad. The rib eye steak was s fatty I only ate a third of it.
- June 19 Dinner 4 peopleJT1027Dined on 6/19/2014Food was great. All the foo was fantastic, except for the key lime pie - disappointing. Waiter was rude and seem annoyed that he had to wait on us. We weren't offered the use of the limo service. We've been here before and we'll be back.Special Features:
- Rangers Puck LuckcwheelDined on 6/11/2014Always enjoy a meal at Frankie and Johnnies on 37th prior to a MSG game, for me the Rangers. Lots of good luck here, and the food is like Keens but the overall ambiance of dining in a booth in the bar room is better I think. Nadia the bartender is GREAT, excellent service, great attitude. Steaks and seafood are wonderful, drinks good, atmosphere and management excellent. Then, a short walk to MSG for a RANGER victory.Special Features:
- Old FavoritelarjanDined on 6/7/2014It has been awhile since we last dined at Frankie & Johhny's on 45st. They now have 3 locations and our reservation on Open Table became confused with the 37st location. The hostess was very cooperative and confirmed our reservation at the other location and immediately honored their reservation. Wonderful dinner and excellent service before a show. We had 2 of our grandchildren with us and they both cleaned their plates and said " we could bring them back anytime".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steak & Crab CakesmubbsVIPDined on 6/4/2014Hi, We had a very good outing at Frankie and Johnnie's the other night. The Crab Cakes were a delight and my steak and my partners steak were cooked to perfection! Would certainly come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better places in NYC than thisBiglouDined on 5/31/2014Our service was random. Got the rib eye steak and the fat in it was so big a chewy. I was constantly taking pieces out and putting them in my napkin. We waited an extremely long time between appetizer and dinner to be served. The place was not crowded at all.
- Loved it!EllenDined on 5/31/2014Excellent food. We loved this place and would highly recommend.Special Features:
- You can do betterBeezboDined on 5/29/2014Overall a poor value. On the plus side, a nice environment. It is a quiet and beautiful upstairs dining room. The bar was generous with its pours. Unfortunately, the food did not measure up. The sirloin was fatty and tough and the filet mignon was dry. Service was slow. Prices were comparable with other top end NYC steak houses, but the food and service did not measure up. Too bad Ben Benson's has closed!
- Erratic servicePelleDined on 5/21/2014Russin place?, Russian service... Very erratic service, medium was charcoaled, not to recommend.
- Tasty ShaftShaftEatsDined on 5/20/2014This was the first time for me at F&J. We went at the end of lunch, so there were very few people in the restaurant. Skipped the appetizer and went straight to the main course. Steak was cooked to perfection. Best garlic mash that I've had in a very long time. We ordered sauteed spinach, even though it wasn't on the menu. That was delicious as well. Even my gin martini was perfect. I will be back!Special Features:
- Another great experienceLad50VIPDined on 5/14/2014Great experience in total. Steaks were great, super service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for dinner pre/post showLauraVIPDined on 5/10/20141st of all, awesome limo service. Food was so good and in generous amount. We had tuna tartare & crab cakes for apps, so good i could eat it all myself. For mains i had the filet mignon with lobster combo, not on menu but just a bit more than the mignon + shrimp scampi. Lobster was so tender and decent sized. Filet mignon was not bad. Plus delicious au gratin potatoes. Very filling. My fiancé had the 16oz sirloin + mashed potatoes i think, basically it's massive and he said was cooked perfectly. Had the creme brûlée for dessert with coffee, it was good. We were in a food coma after, so we walked home. Great restaurant. The service was excellent every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome steakbobby2008Dined on 5/7/2014We ate there on a Wednesday night and it was packed. My wife's steak was perfect and the crab on top was great. The service was also very good. Very friendly staff and we enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MicrowaveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/7/2014Mid-Rare Filet was perfectly cooked and seasoned, saffron risotto was fantastic. Lobster bisque was heated in a microwave, chewy lobster and a "hot plate" warning.
- OutstandingDblRDined on 4/28/2014I love this restaurant on W 37th St. been here a few times. There's not much to say but everything is great. The food is great, the service & staff is great, they are friendly and make sure you are okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- they do everything rightscottnVIPDined on 4/22/2014greeted warmly, seated immediately, offered drinks and a menu promptly. we came just for drinks and appetizers. great jumbo shrimp cocktail and jumbo lump crabmeat cocktail. great fried calamari. great salads. we've been here before, the steaks are marvelous, Frankie and Johnny chopped salad wonderful, setting comfortable, service great. highly recommend for a very nice venue midtown. (30's between 5th and 6th)Special Features:
- TRIED & TRUEDEB1VIPDined on 4/21/2014Something to be said for consistently good...from the steak to a fish dish.. in a pleasant room where you can hear yourself speak...and the service is top notch! A great place for a celebratory dinner for 2, 4 or 6. Danny will always treat you right!Special Features:
- New dining friendssteakloverDined on 4/21/2014Frankie and Johnie are my new dining friends if I'm looking for great steak and lamb dishes. Conveniently located and the staff was very attentive. We had dinner on a Monday night and the restaurant wasn't crowed at 6:30 pm so I don't know how the servjce would be if the restaurant was crowed. However, our service was great.Special Features:
- Great for a quiet great mealJudyVIPDined on 4/19/2014One of our favorite places for a special night and/or after an afternoon Broadway show. The service and food are extremely good and the restaurant is warm and cozy.Special Features:
- Frankie and Johnnie's, a real treatOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/9/2014I have eaten at Frankie and Johnnie's Steakhouse many times and I always find the food and services consistently good. It's my 'go to' restaurant when I'm looking for a good steak dinner. They also offer free limo service to the theatre, which is a plus. ISpecial Features:
- Steaks were horrible-tough,JeffreyDined on 4/5/2014Steaks were horrible-tough, overcooked-very very very disappointed service was excellent however.. will never go back
- Most Excellent FoodKathyDined on 3/29/2014I'm not a big steak eater, but was fortunate to enjoy the best chilean sea bass I have ever had! The side salads were quite large and the broccoli on side side was delicious. Did I mention the chilean sea bass was the best ever?!Special Features:
- New York Romance SpotJuliette5060Dined on 3/20/2014HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! Their Limousine picked us up from our hotel and brought us to the 37th Street location, which is in what used to be John Barrymore's townhouse- the dining room is in his old study and includes a beautiful working fireplace. The waiters were very attentive and friendly. The food was sensational- particularly the smoked salmon appetizer- but it was all very good. Prices were what you'd expect at any nice restaurant. As we were leaving, the Limo driver pointed out that, if you cross the street & look back at the building, you have a perfect view of the Empire State Building! The driver whisked us back to our hotel; we had a wonderful conversation with him on the way. A perfect end to our trip to the Big Apple!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the bestBirthdaygirlDined on 3/7/2014This was one of the best restaurants I have been to in a long time. The service was excellent. The waiter was hilarious and very engaging. The owner came down to talk to us and was very personable. The Chicken parmesean was excellent. They gave you a lot of food and i even had leftovers. I will definitely go back there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for NYC Restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/6/2014Went for NYC Restaurant week -- definitely was a good choice! We got the crab cakes and clam oreganata for appetizers, surf and turf with side orders of creamed spinach and garlic mashed potato, and key lime pie and bread pudding. Crab cakes were better than the clams (which were a little too salty), and the key lime pie was better than the bread pudding but overall all were good. The best was the steak which was absolutely delicious and the sides were as well. Overall food was very satisfying. The waitstaff seemed a little rushed and disorganized because it wasn't like 1 person was waiting on our table. We had multiple people come and ask us what we're ordering (literally like 4 people) so that took away from the experience a bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with FriendsFoodieDined on 3/6/2014This restaurant is always top of the line. Menu is outstanding and the wine list is great. Wait staff is also great. Love coming back here with friends to catch up with a delightful meal and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with good service.ZoguDined on 3/5/2014Great food with good service. Classic steakhouse with understated decor.Special Features:
- Great meatnyfoodieVIPDined on 3/1/2014The Chilean Sea Bass and Ribeye were excellent. The side dishes were just ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very NiceJimandDebDined on 3/1/2014The restaurant was very nice. The service was outstanding. We both had a crab cake for an appatizer, she had pork chops for dinner and I had a steak. We both had key lime pie for desert. We're from the Chesapeake Bay area, so you really have to do something special to make a good crab cake. They were OK, but nothing special. They did have a nice sauce for it. My wife's pork chops were delicious. My filet mignon was not so good. Filet should be butter, cut it with a fork. Mine was tough. Additionally, nothing was hot. Everything was warm, just not hot. So, overall it was a very nice dinner. The food was good, just not great and not hot. The service was outstanding everyone was top shelf and truly cared about their customers. J & D,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very outstanding!2dineforDined on 2/28/2014This Resturant gets an A+ from me. I loved everything about it. From the food to the service. Keep up the great job. See you Again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Want to Go BackJudieFoodieVIPDined on 2/28/2014Zagat's review does not do Frankie and Johnnie's justice. It is classic, not out of vogue. We went for a Restaurant Week dinner, which was superb--Surf and Turf, Crabcake and Key Lime pie for me and Surf and Turf , a wonderful spinach salad, and bread pudding for my husband. All were cooked perfectly, and portions size was normal, not small for RW. We loved sitting in John Barrymore's library near a fireplace. We loved the wood and cozy feel and individual rooms. The waiters were mature, professional and efficient and were friendly but not too familiar. Diners were lingering and making an evening of it. We did not feel the establishment was merely interested in turning tables rapidly. Everything was first-rate. They do not skimp. Go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old School SteakhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/28/2014We love Frankie and Johnnies! We go as often as we can, no matter if it's restaurant week or not. This was a restaurant week visit and the food was still outstanding! Service was very good, but they were quite busy so not as great as usual, but still all in all a great experience!Special Features:
- Second time here. ExperienceDanBDined on 2/28/2014Second time here. Experience not as positive as the first time. The ribeye was excessively fatty. Obviously, I expect that cut of meet to have some fat but it was difficult to eat.Special Features: