88 Second Avenue
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.frankrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2124200202
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: Cash Only
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Frank Restaurant
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Frank Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (16)fit for foodies (12)great for outdoor dining (7)good for groups (5)notable wine list (4)romantic (3)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (2)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (2)special occasion (1)Show More
- Disappointing.OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/28/2014I remember Frank as a great restaurant at reasonable value. It seems to have lost both attributes. Recently we found dinner to be marked by passable food, high prices and mediocre service. We will not return!
- I love Frank!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/26/2014As an Italian restaurant connoisseur, I have eaten at LOTS of Italian restaurants. Frank's gnocchi is, in a word, perfect. Everything else I've had there is exquisite as well, but I usually can't pass up the gnocchi.Special Features:
- Fantastic DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/21/2014Checked out this small gem of a restaurant on a Thursday night. Place is tiny but the food was incredible. From our first course antipasto to our pasta entrees the food was outstanding. Friendly knowledgable server was a plus as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frank is always greatChuckBoerumHillDined on 7/26/2014I've eaten at Frank numerous times and it is one of my favorite Italian spots in the East Village. Quality food and decent prices. There is a reason there is always a line to get in this place at dinner time. I highly recommend the meatloaf. Basically one giant meatball, but so delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Franks lamb ragu is my crackthefoodiepatrolVIPDined on 7/12/2014The day one of my fav village haunts went on open table I screamed! Not that the huge wait i used to have to do wasnt worth it, now I get to choose my time. Been taking my kids here since they were tiny. Now i must fight the teenagers for the last bit of marinara sauce from the mussels . The place is always a bit cramped especially if they sit you at the sharing table, but something about frank has you talking to your neighbors at nearby tables. Mostly about the food and what they ordered. I have never had a bad meal here. The dessert is also worth the calories, if you can find the room. Cash only policy is the only draw back. Have seen many a young man on a date make a mad dash outside in search of an ATM.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/20/2014This is a fun east village Italian spot for really well down classic Italian food. Definitely a good place for a late dinner or something fun and casual. My boyfriend grew up eating food like this and it's definitely a place we will keep going back to.Special Features:
- Great Restaurantply789Dined on 5/30/2014Frank is casual yet beautiful. Great for date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bitter disappointmentWuthWeichlVIPDined on 5/29/2014Never been moved to write a review before but this was so bad. The food was uninspired mush. The place is a dump too.
- Great B-Day DinnercccbDined on 5/27/2014The burrata was AMAZING!! Really fun atmosphere and great for groups. One of my favorite restaurants in the city.Special Features:
- The following 20 reviews are from the Frank Restaurant reviews archive.
- Mother's Day TreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014We needed a place that was kid friendly for mothers day but also had good food because the italian in us loves to eat. We chose Frank and couldn't have been happier with the experience. We were a large group seated inside and the food was excellent. Additionally because the ambience was quite casual, our resident 2year girl got to walk around and dance in the aisles without cause for concern. Thanks to the staff at Frank we had a great time!Special Features:
- BonnieVIPDined on 4/24/2014We have been eating at Frank for many years and will continue to do so. The food is consistently better than good though I must admit that we always get the same thing: fennel salad and black linguine with calamari plus glasses of red wine (and an occasional cocktail). There are many restaurants to choose from in this neighborhood and many of those are Italian, but you won't find food any better than Frank.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food did not justify the bill!luvFoodJoeVIPDined on 4/11/2014Franks restaurant says on their web site that they are not just another ego-driven pricey restaurant, but unfortunately we experienced an overpriced restaurant that was rather dull! Avoid the specials unless you want to pay a high price for nothing special, and they don't list prices so ask before hand. We ordered 2 specials, lasagna and the flat noodle pasta dish. The Lasagne was bland and the other dish was too salty. The bill didn't fit the food we ate. Frankly, we felt ripped off. And that is a rare thing. If you go just stick to the menu!!!
- The food is decent, a coupleNicoleDined on 4/6/2014The food is decent, a couple of notches above the corner pizzeria. In my opinion, the $23 Burrata is not worth the price tag and I love (expensive) cheese. The sauce was actually quite good -- a homestyle flavor that reminded me of eating at my grandmother's house. However, the rigatoni was undercooked (super super al dente) and the ravioli was a bit overcooked. A friend of mine has eaten here on numerous occasions and claims this past visit with me was the least impressive -- so perhaps worth a try.Special Features:
- Fresh FoodcitygirlDined on 4/5/2014The food tastes very fresh and portions are big. The bruschetta is by piece, but one piece might be enough for two people, depending on how much you want. I can eat a lot, and if I had one piece of brushetta and a soup i might have been full. Service is good, the place is very crowded; the tables are squeezed together very tight, and you will feel like you are eating at a table that is a little smaller than it should be. I have been twice and would go back.Special Features:
- Authentic pasta lovers: go to FrankOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/2/2014This was my 3rd time dining at Frank, each time with a different group. The food here is divine, unpretentious, large-portioned, and leaves you feeling like you just had dinner at your 4th cousin's house in Roviggo. The wine list is also spectacular and reasonably priced. I enjoy the casual atmosphere… it almost feels like a secret spot. The burrata and bruscetta are both perfect ways to start off the evening, followed by 1 or 2 pasta dishes. I recommend taking a date that doesn't mind sharing. The service is perfectly amiable, nothing over-the-top friendly but quick and efficient. It does get very loud in Frank, so don't bring your 65yo father with hearing aids (as I once did) unless he has the patience of a monk. CASH ONLYSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Meatball Sausage Hero...YUMOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/26/2014Seriously this was so delicious. The skinny baguette was a perfect size and everything was delicious. My partner got spaghetti and meatballs, and his too was amazing. Al dente to perfection. Great Italian food.Special Features:
- Amazing italiandamedaciaDined on 3/24/2014Italian just needs to be done WELL. Look no further. Flavor, great wines, affordability, and the difficult task of cooking pasta perfectly al dente. I have a hard time ordering specials here because I'm so in love with the regular menu. It was 7-9 is night, so not as loud as usual, tho to be in franks when the din is high and the room crammed is to experience the east village at its heart. Vai! Mangia!Special Features:
- Good Service, Bad FoodRedFireDined on 3/7/2014Waiters were patient and did not put any pressure on us. The food, however, did not taste good. My ragu was so salty I could barely eat it. Also, they had an extensive wine list for bottle service, but the by the glass menu was substandard. They were out of rosato by the glass when we were there.Special Features:
- DeliciousAndreaphiliVIPDined on 2/26/2014Before going to the off broadway show Stomp- which was amazing!! Me and two of my friends went to Franks. Surprised at first at how small the restaurant was we were pleasantly surpised. Every detail went unnoticed from the drinks to dinner. The bruschetta was unbelievable and one is enough for a started. We had three different pasta dishes and all three melted in our mouths! The gnocchi, parpadelli with venecion and the meatballs were all delicous.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ItalianHolaDined on 2/22/2014Nice neighborhood restaurant with tiny tables and great atmosphere. I highly recommend the bruschetta. All of the food is extremely fresh and it is a pleasure to eat some delicious bread!! The cooks give a show in this small kitchen where they work wonders. Overall a very nice experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't book heremayapDined on 2/8/2014I have eaten here a few times usually as a walk-in, and I'm a super fan of the whole franchise (lil frankies, supper, sauce) BUT I had a valid reservation for 915pm on Sat night for 4 - while hosting friends from out of town. We didn't get seated till 1030pm, and that was ONLY because I caused a fuss.....it also took asking the hostess 3 X then finally the manager 2X to get seated. In the mean time, we had to stand in this super crowded area staring them down to make it happen. We were given a free bottle of wine (not an expensive one, mind you) when we sat down, but were never offered anything prior to sustain us. They actually sent us to the hummus place next door! I'd rather pay more and go somewhere else where they respect my time.
- Late night winnerJumperpearDined on 1/29/2014Excellent last minute, late night dinner after a show with an uncertain end-time. Super laid back, but also exciting, stellar food. Frank has been around for years, and has not lost it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Tight spaceJophyDined on 1/16/2014Waiting for your reservations can be tough because the space in front of the bar is tight. The food was very good and everyone enjoyed their dinner orders and appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best burrata everOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/28/2013We had a wonderful time at Frank's. Great food, great service, great vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- relies too much on past successOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/17/2013Food was good as usual but waitstaff doesn't seem to care about reservations or when or how they seat you. Feels like a restaurant too used to success. Now doesn't care.
- Great experienceLovesItalianDined on 11/12/2013Had a group dinner there; about 7 people. Only two of us had been there before. But, from the shared appetizer (burrata) + kale parmesan salad to our various entrees, there was not an empty plate in the house. The staff was attentive, the group was lively, but not loud, and overall, it was fun! Great job!Special Features:
- Great PlaceDeniseNYCDined on 11/3/2013This is my third time at Frank Restaurant and every time the food and service were amazing. I highly recommended this place. You also should make a reservation because the place is small and gets very busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall great experience!fancysmancy117VIPDined on 11/3/2013Overall great experience! I recommend the chicken parm sandwich! :)Special Features:
- If the decor was supposedPhoebesMomDined on 11/2/2013If the decor was supposed to mimic an Italian family's dining room, it is an insult to Italian nanas everywhere. Shabby chic at its worst. In addition, loud rap music was playing for our first 1/2 hour. AND BEWARE!!!!!!! CASH ONLY!