806 L Street
Sacramento, CA 95814Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://fatsrestaurants.com/Frank.html
- Phone: 9164427092
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Saturdays and Sundays (Dinner Only): 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Martini Hour - Monday - Friday: 3:00pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Asian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Jimmy Ma
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 916-442-7092 for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Crisa Triplett 9164427092
- Special Events: Please e-mail us at email@example.com or call 916-442-7092 for details.
A word from Frank Fat's
Frank Fat's Restaurant located just a block away from the State Capitol at 806 L street in Downtown Sacramento, has proudly served the Sacramento Community since 1939. Frank Fat's takes pride in continuing to serve the finest Chinese cuisine from the four provinces of China (Peking, Szechuan, Canton, Shanghai) and Hong Kong in a superbly decorated surrounding with warm, friendly and cheerful service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Frank Fat's - Best Restaurants in Sacramento ›
Frank Fat's reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (34)neighborhood gem (19)fit for foodies (18)great for lunch (18)good for groups (17)romantic (9)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (4)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014Frank Fats has a special that is beyond description. It consist of an excellent three course meal served by people who care about their customers with friendly and excellent service. They also are willing to divide leftovers for their customers in attractive containers. The steak, rice and chicken were scrumptious.Special Features:
- Consistently Good!LoriDVIPDined on 8/30/2014One of our favorite restaurants in Sacramento. High quality, authentic, delicious. Love the cocktails too.Special Features:
- Best in townRogerGDined on 8/22/2014Beyond any doubt, Frank Fat's is the greatest Chinese restaurant in the Sacramento area. One always gets the feeling of money well spent.Special Features:
- Friends at Frank'sjustluvHWPDined on 8/21/2014Whenever there is a celebration with one of my friends we always go to Frank's. We all just love the honey walnut prawns. Ken is always a great server but the food came out slow. Thank goodness we didn't have meetings. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WayneCoronadelMarVIPDined on 8/20/2014Come on, this is Frank Fats. THE place in Sacramento, and the food is still as good as it was 40 years ago.Special Features:
- Just Ok~OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014Excited to try Frank Fat's for the first time, as I have been to all of the other Fat's restaurants in the region and enjoy them. We had the Anniversary Special and although the Chinese Chicken Salad was average, the Honey Walnut Prawns were outstanding. There were 2 deal breakers for me that will prevent me from returning to this location. We sat next to the wall and it was filthy with old food stains/grease (and I'm not grossed out easily). Also, the flooring is wood laminate and the overall loudness of the restaurant prevented having any kind of conversation.
- bswilkeDined on 8/5/2014Without a doubt the best Chinese restaurant we have ever been to. Their mai-tais and honey walnut prawns are the best anywhere. Their 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. happy hour is a real find.Special Features:
- DisappointedpregofoodieDined on 8/2/2014Fat's is expensive and disappointing. I had the crispy mandarin duck, which was only crispy on the outside. It was incredibly mushy on the inside. The brandy fried chicken, a dish they are "famous" for, was bland. The salt and pepper shrimp was too heavily battered and in a flavorless batter. The best dishes were the chocolate cream pie and fried rice. I have also had their honey walnut shrimp and that is pretty good. Should've stuck with that. Service was OK. The server was very nice but very slow. I will only come here now for happy hour.
- Loved ItFoodieFinderDined on 7/28/2014Visiting from Southern California (Los Angeles Area) looked up the top restaurants in the area of the State Capitol that where highly recommended by Open Table and Yelp and chose Frank Fat's. I was not disappointed. The portions are large, the flavor is deep, the service was professional and fast. I would definitely return and have already recommended it to my brother who is going to visit the area this weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little gemTastyDined on 7/12/2014It's in older downtown but a must stop. Best Chinese food I have had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014Had Peking Duck which was disappointing. Not real Peking Duck. Fried rice was ok.Special Features:
- Long-time Favoritejannie47VIPDined on 6/15/2014I've been going to Frank Fat's since I was a child and have always loved the restaurant. I have my favorite dishes and it is often a place to go for special occasions. This time, however, the service was not very good. But I'm chalking it off to a server who may have been new or just not very attentive. This is an unusual occurance though for Fat's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but a bit too loudNDChanDined on 6/15/2014The food and service was good. But, it's a bit too noisy for a quiet and relaxed dinner.
- Better on the insideOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/12/2014We were worried when we pulled up, because it looked run down, etc. from the outside. Once inside, it was very nice. Food was good, service was great.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014Great food! Good variety well prepared waiter was a bit distracted but quality of the food made us overlook it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodcjjensenDined on 5/29/2014I am 4th generation dinning here. Can never go wrong with Fat's flagship store.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GreatSaclocalsdaveandjoDined on 5/24/2014This is a great special occasion restaurant. It's classy and the food is fabulous (though expensive). The waitstaff is well trained, and the house wine is carefully selected for quality, and a generous pour. If you are new to Sacramento, or here for a visit, you must treat yourself to dinner at the downtown Fats; it's a Sacramento institution and is the original and best of the Fat dynasty of dining. Don't miss these: New York Steak Frank Style (A premium cut prepared perfectly medium rare, sliced thin and smothered in sautéed onions and oyster sauce - to...die..for!) Honey Walnut Shrimp (the best around) Leave room for Fat's famous banana cream pie- the crust is the best part! Portions are generous; each dish serves 3 hungry diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 534 reviews are from the Frank Fat's reviews archive.
- My birthday at Frank Fat'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/19/2014My co-worker and supervisor took me to lunch for my birthday and I chose Frank Fat's because I had never been there before and it's near by my office. When we walked up the street towards the entrance I thought that it had to be closed it looked like such a dive! But when we walked in I was pleasantly surprised to find that it is actually a VERY nice restaurant inside! And way bigger than it looked too! The food was bomb, the waiter was good but could have come by a few more times which would have aided us in getting back to the office in a more timely manner and also if he had I would have been able to get the famous banana cream pie for dessert but since he didn't I didn't have time. Overall a great time and I will definitely go back!Special Features:
- No Fat in my Sweet / Sour Pork!CytoboyDined on 5/17/2014The service was excellent. Parking is easy and reasonably priced just to the left of Frank's, when viewing from "L" Street. The food was okay overall, but not outstanding. The freshness and temperature on delivery were somewhat lacking but I am hypercritical. We had a good time getting together with old friends.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superlative diningPat6653Dined on 5/12/2014Took my mom there for her birthday dinner. Picky eater, but she loved the dishes (cashew chicken, honey walnut shrimp, immigrant's beef, gai lan, young shew fried rice). Great service, great atmosphere, great banana cream pie!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diamond in the roughTrosinDined on 4/29/2014From the outside, one would never guess what a find Frank Fats truly is! The bar is top notch, the staff is kind and attentive. The atmosphere is wonderful for private dining and groups. Then you have the food- absolutely amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative Chinese CuisineMikeDined on 4/25/2014Frank Fat's has been a star in the restaurant scene in Sacramento for years and continues to please the palate. The cuisine is always fresh and creative. The menu has a multitude of entrees and appetisers from which to choose. Full bar available as well. The service was very good, very helpful. His famous banana cream pie is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Very GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/18/2014Food, Service And Ambience Were Terrific! I Hate Hate Green Beans And I Managed To Even Choke Down A Few. This Means They Were Probably Fantastic If You Like Such Things. Nothing There Is Ever Bad.! Fixed Price Special Menu Option Very Reasonable. But Then, So Is Everything Else On The Menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late DinnerEastsiderDined on 4/18/2014My wife and I enjoyed a great late dinner last week at Frank Fat's. The food was outstanding and the service even better. We wanted to try a couple of spicy dishes but asked to have them mild, the waiter said no problem. When the food arrive, it was perfect, just the right amount of spice as we requested. Very enjoyable. Kung pow chicken and their special fried rice are highly recommended as well as their honey walnut shrimp. The banana cream pie was off the hook!Special Features:
- Sacramento visitorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014Solid dining experience. Service slow but courteous. Wishi had room for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Peking DuckMikeDined on 4/11/2014This is one of the few Chinese restaurants in the United States that serves a reasonable version of Peking Duck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambience, lousy foodmhfeinDined on 4/6/2014We loved walking into Frank Fats. We have eaten at Fats in Roseville many times and it is one of our favorites. At first the place seemed similar, great decor, great ambiance, a large comfortable booth for our group where we could sit for hours without feeling any pressure. The waiter was great, excellent service. But the food was not good. The hot and sour soup seemed like corn starch with water and soy sauce. Pretty tasteless. The BBQ pork with vegetables had canned bean sprouts rather than fresh. The Buddha's delight was good, but was really the only good thing we had. In general all the food was bland and boring. Nothing very exciting at all. I was quite disappointed. I would not recommend it nor would I go back.
- Cruzin' Buddiesthisfroggie42Dined on 4/5/2014When our Cruzin' Buddies from Apple Valley and Placerville were in Sacramento, we knew we wanted to meet them at Frank Fats for drinks and dinner. We three couples met on a Saturday night and enjoyed our delicious food and wonderful visit. We requested one of the booths in the back of the restaurant so we could have a quiet area where we could catch up with one another's adventures, and we were pleased that they could accommodate this request through our Open Table communication. Our waiter was attentive and very pleasant. We enjoy our evening very much. It was nice to see "our" bartender was working that evening as well. Thank you.Special Features:
- Birthday Lunch at Frank Fat'sKitkatDined on 4/3/2014I decided to take a co-worker to Frank Fat's to celebrate her birthday. We both really enjoyed the food and the service was good. She was given a free piece of banana cream pie for her birthday.Special Features:
- Fat's is the bestCarolaVIPDined on 3/29/2014The dinner was just perfect. The entrees could have been a little warmer. Parking is inexpensive and is right next door. This is the perfect Sacramento restaurant. You always feel special going there--like a part of a decades old tradition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service but poor foodfoodiebriDined on 3/27/2014Seated promptly with a reservation. Waitress was friendly and attentive. The food left a lot to be desired though especially for the price. The hot and sour soup had little flavor and absolutely no spice to it (and I have a very low tolerance for spicy foods) and the cashew chicken was medallions of bland, mushy chicken with a sprinkling of cashews. The combo plate and chicken salad weren't bad but nothing to write home about. In short I wasn't impressed especially since the tab for that and a glass of wine came out to $74.Special Features:
- Another enjoyable dinnerPeesacakeDined on 3/27/2014Celebrated my birthday with family; and everyone loved the food, service and ambience. We love Frank Fat's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Sacramento FavoriteLoraMVIPDined on 3/25/2014Always visit Frank's when in Sacramento. Consistently delicious food and excellent service. Bonus: garage parking right next door!Special Features:
- Never FailsKarenDined on 3/24/2014Just had dinner at Frank Fat's and they never fail to impress me with how delicious their food is! Fresh, delicious and yummy are the 3 best words I can attest to and always enjoy dining there when in Sacramento.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic fat'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/24/2014Food was very good, as was the service! Would recommend this place. I will be going back in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/20/2014Frank Fat's is a place we save for special occasions. Definitely pricey, but worth it. The food is consistently delicious and I have yet to have to have something I don't like there. They are also known for their banana cream pie, which is pretty good. Overall, it's a place you just can't go wrong in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding Chinese restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/14/2014Great restaurant in Old Town Sacramento-an old time favorite restaurant of the Fat family. Food is exceptionally good, with very good service and lovely ambience. Try the delicious Firecracker Beef and not to miss their outstanding banana cream pie made on the premises. Location is good-a few blocks from The Capitol and there is a parking garage right next door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationDinerDined on 3/13/2014Frank Fat's is a family favorite for multiple generations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Calamari6452Dined on 3/8/2014The calamari was the best I've eaten in a very long time. If you like Chinese food, you will love Frank Fat's. For those who want a real rib eye steak, I wouldn't recommend Frank Fat's. My fiance ordered what he thought was a rib eye steak. (you know, what you'd get a steakhouse). The waiter looked at him oddly when my fiance said, "I'd like my steak cooked medium, and I'll cut it up myself." :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKdatenightDined on 3/7/2014We were really looking forward to going to Frank Fat's, but found it to be underwhelming. We had appetizers and 3 dishes for dinner. The food was ok, especially considering the price. It was a little on the greasy side, granted it is deep fried or stir fried, but still a little too oily. The service was a little late in getting started with our table but after that, very good. We sat in the first dining area beyond the bar and it was cold in that room and the wait staff foot traffic was busy, which impacted the ambiance. I think they are riding on a long standing reputation that was once well deserved, but now, I would say not so much. For the price, I would go to one of the Fat's in Folsom or Roseville.Special Features: