806 L Street
Sacramento, CA 95814Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://fatsrestaurants.com/Frank.html
- Phone: (916) 442-7092
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Saturdays and Sundays (Dinner Only): 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Martini Hour - Monday - Friday: 3:00pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Asian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Jimmy Ma
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 916-442-7092 for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Crisa Triplett 9164427092
- Special Events: Please e-mail us at email@example.com or call 916-442-7092 for details.
A word from Frank Fat's
Frank Fat's Restaurant located just a block away from the State Capitol at 806 L street in Downtown Sacramento, has proudly served the Sacramento Community since 1939. Frank Fat's takes pride in continuing to serve the finest Chinese cuisine from the four provinces of China (Peking, Szechuan, Canton, Shanghai) and Hong Kong in a superbly decorated surrounding with warm, friendly and cheerful service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Frank Fat's reviews from OpenTable diners
78 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (48)fit for foodies (37)good for groups (31)neighborhood gem (25)romantic (18)great for lunch (18)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (4)notable wine list (3)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/24/2014Great food! Great service. Great food! Great service.Great food! Great service.Great food! Great service.Great food! Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traditional Chinese FoodArankaDined on 11/20/2014Go for the food - traditional Cantonese (?) fare. Ambiance & decor is far superior than most "Chinese restaurants". But service was lacking - rushed and unwilling to offer suggestions about dishes and beverages. Improve wait staff and this might be a worthwhile destination stop in the downtown area. That said, four stars for the convenient parking next door - only $3.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerJeannjimDined on 11/10/2014Great service, hard to find what with the exterior work being done, parking nightmare, but dishes made it well worth it. Thank You.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Banana Cream PieMeljelDined on 11/8/2014It's so cliche going here and ordering the crispy honey walnut prawns, but it's even worse ordering the banana cream pie! Both items I have to have when in Sacramento. The tradition is to eat the banana cream pie in the hotel room. The service was great. The general manager came over and schooled my son on how to use chopsticks. Mike, our waiter made the evening great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food a disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2014It has been a long time since coming to this restaurant. Pot stickers and Honey walnut prawns were good. Chicken lettuce wraps had no flavor, Immigrant beef was grisly and chewy, overcooked. Chow Mein was below average. The banana cream pie that they are so well known for was difficult to eat. Bananas were just laid down, no cream , the crust tasted too much like flour and was not flaky. The pie was 90% meringue. Service was excellent.
- Danny Boy 1967OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/4/2014Some great surprises, like the Mongolian Beef! Some of the appetizers were mediocre, however. Overall good experience.Special Features:
- CelebrateWoodlanderDined on 11/2/2014My family took me to Frank Fat's to celebrate my birthday. It was a wonderful choice. I have lived in the Sacramento area for over 50 years and never made it to the famous L Street location until this visit. I will return!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frank FatsdeltaedDined on 10/25/2014Very good experience, with great food and attentive service.Special Features:
- Great dinner soecialEgninjaDined on 10/18/2014Came in during their 75th anniversary celebration. They have a great full course dinner special which includes their banana cream pie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Power LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/17/2014After a fantastic hamburger at their Power Lunch about a month ago, I went back to Frank Fat's for another. Unfortunately, this burger was not as flavorful and not as well prepared (a bit overcooked) as the one last month. Less gristle than before but a lot less tasty. It was average at best. The Clam Chowder soup of the day was also thinner, perhaps they added too much water or milk, but was still tasty if a bit thin. My friends Tan Tan noodles was very good he said, as good as some of the other noodle specialty houses in Sacramento. So, overall, the tan tan noodles bring the score up to good; otherwise, the hamburger alone is only fair.
- Frank Fat's Downtown SacramentoBrandywineDined on 10/15/2014Service was excellent. The food was so very yummy. And a parking lot right next door or park in the metered streets. Overall, we were so pleased with the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion DinnerFoodFindersDined on 10/15/2014It has been a long time since we have had dinner at Frank Fat's. We chose their 75th Birthday Special and the food was better than ever. The service was impeccable. Would highly recommend the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So GoodSunnyDined on 10/14/2014Frank Fats has the best food! They make the best banana cream pie, too. It's a must try.Special Features:
- RosanneDined on 10/4/2014Hadn't been to this restaurant in downtown Sacramento for 10-15 years. Found it to still be fun, engaging, prices are still very reasonable, and the food was both plentiful and delicious. Interesting to see how Sacramento on a Saturday night has evolved. We walked around and found plenty of security to feel safe. The addition of the new Kings arena should provide a boost for the downtown area to bring even more of a metropolitan atmosphere to our beautiful city. Nice to see the K Street Mall evolve into a more people friendly scene.Special Features:
- Best EverComposerDined on 10/3/2014Everything about this restaurant was first class. I wanted a special experience for my lovely mother and sweetheart, and all my desires were completely fulfilled. It was beyond spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A return to Frank Fat's qualitySacfoodieVIPDined on 9/28/2014We enjoyed the special anniversary dinner. Began with Chinese chicken salad. Cold and crisp greens with ample dressing, unlike previous visits where it was found only on the bottom of salad. Honey walnut shrimp was crisp without being over cooked. Plenty of tasty walnuts for everyone and just a heavenly dish. Biggest improvement was the famous Frank's NY steak. Thick and tender, not the gristle-filled ones we had the past several visits. I was beginning to think about skipping it, but so glad I didnt. Frank Fat was smiling from above on his signature dish.Special Features:
- Best Chinese food in Sacramento!BradDined on 9/27/2014My wife and I love this restaurant! We always take our out of town guests to this restaurant for the best Chinese food in Sacramento.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodSHSinSDDined on 9/26/2014Fried chicken Chinese style. Absolutely incredible. Great food, great drinks, excellent place.Special Features:
- Never been disappointedChiefsFAveDined on 9/20/2014Have been going to this restaurant for many, many years and have introduced visiting folks to it. Great place which deserves it fine reputation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal!!Pat6653Dined on 9/17/2014Ordered the special anniversary menu. Excellently-prepared dishes and more than two could finish.Special Features:
- Not as wonderful as usualdidiDined on 9/17/2014We had their anniversary dinner for 5. Service was incredibly slow and it was 5:30 on a week night. Our hot plates were cold by the time the food arrived. The waiter only appeared to bring dishes. This has never occurred in the past. The selection of dishes were not as flavorful or unusual as we have come to expect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014Frank Fats has a special that is beyond description. It consist of an excellent three course meal served by people who care about their customers with friendly and excellent service. They also are willing to divide leftovers for their customers in attractive containers. The steak, rice and chicken were scrumptious.Special Features:
- Consistently Good!LoriDVIPDined on 8/30/2014One of our favorite restaurants in Sacramento. High quality, authentic, delicious. Love the cocktails too.Special Features:
- Best in townRogerGDined on 8/22/2014Beyond any doubt, Frank Fat's is the greatest Chinese restaurant in the Sacramento area. One always gets the feeling of money well spent.Special Features:
- Friends at Frank'sjustluvHWPDined on 8/21/2014Whenever there is a celebration with one of my friends we always go to Frank's. We all just love the honey walnut prawns. Ken is always a great server but the food came out slow. Thank goodness we didn't have meetings. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WayneCoronadelMarVIPDined on 8/20/2014Come on, this is Frank Fats. THE place in Sacramento, and the food is still as good as it was 40 years ago.Special Features:
- Just Ok~OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014Excited to try Frank Fat's for the first time, as I have been to all of the other Fat's restaurants in the region and enjoy them. We had the Anniversary Special and although the Chinese Chicken Salad was average, the Honey Walnut Prawns were outstanding. There were 2 deal breakers for me that will prevent me from returning to this location. We sat next to the wall and it was filthy with old food stains/grease (and I'm not grossed out easily). Also, the flooring is wood laminate and the overall loudness of the restaurant prevented having any kind of conversation.
- bswilkeDined on 8/5/2014Without a doubt the best Chinese restaurant we have ever been to. Their mai-tais and honey walnut prawns are the best anywhere. Their 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. happy hour is a real find.Special Features:
- DisappointedpregofoodieDined on 8/2/2014Fat's is expensive and disappointing. I had the crispy mandarin duck, which was only crispy on the outside. It was incredibly mushy on the inside. The brandy fried chicken, a dish they are "famous" for, was bland. The salt and pepper shrimp was too heavily battered and in a flavorless batter. The best dishes were the chocolate cream pie and fried rice. I have also had their honey walnut shrimp and that is pretty good. Should've stuck with that. Service was OK. The server was very nice but very slow. I will only come here now for happy hour.
- The following 543 reviews are from the Frank Fat's reviews archive.
- Loved ItFoodieFinderDined on 7/28/2014Visiting from Southern California (Los Angeles Area) looked up the top restaurants in the area of the State Capitol that where highly recommended by Open Table and Yelp and chose Frank Fat's. I was not disappointed. The portions are large, the flavor is deep, the service was professional and fast. I would definitely return and have already recommended it to my brother who is going to visit the area this weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little gemTastyDined on 7/12/2014It's in older downtown but a must stop. Best Chinese food I have had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014Had Peking Duck which was disappointing. Not real Peking Duck. Fried rice was ok.Special Features:
- Long-time Favoritejannie47VIPDined on 6/15/2014I've been going to Frank Fat's since I was a child and have always loved the restaurant. I have my favorite dishes and it is often a place to go for special occasions. This time, however, the service was not very good. But I'm chalking it off to a server who may have been new or just not very attentive. This is an unusual occurance though for Fat's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but a bit too loudNDChanDined on 6/15/2014The food and service was good. But, it's a bit too noisy for a quiet and relaxed dinner.
- Better on the insideOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/12/2014We were worried when we pulled up, because it looked run down, etc. from the outside. Once inside, it was very nice. Food was good, service was great.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014Great food! Good variety well prepared waiter was a bit distracted but quality of the food made us overlook it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodcjjensenDined on 5/29/2014I am 4th generation dinning here. Can never go wrong with Fat's flagship store.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GreatSaclocalsdaveandjoDined on 5/24/2014This is a great special occasion restaurant. It's classy and the food is fabulous (though expensive). The waitstaff is well trained, and the house wine is carefully selected for quality, and a generous pour. If you are new to Sacramento, or here for a visit, you must treat yourself to dinner at the downtown Fats; it's a Sacramento institution and is the original and best of the Fat dynasty of dining. Don't miss these: New York Steak Frank Style (A premium cut prepared perfectly medium rare, sliced thin and smothered in sautéed onions and oyster sauce - to...die..for!) Honey Walnut Shrimp (the best around) Leave room for Fat's famous banana cream pie- the crust is the best part! Portions are generous; each dish serves 3 hungry diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My birthday at Frank Fat'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/19/2014My co-worker and supervisor took me to lunch for my birthday and I chose Frank Fat's because I had never been there before and it's near by my office. When we walked up the street towards the entrance I thought that it had to be closed it looked like such a dive! But when we walked in I was pleasantly surprised to find that it is actually a VERY nice restaurant inside! And way bigger than it looked too! The food was bomb, the waiter was good but could have come by a few more times which would have aided us in getting back to the office in a more timely manner and also if he had I would have been able to get the famous banana cream pie for dessert but since he didn't I didn't have time. Overall a great time and I will definitely go back!Special Features:
- No Fat in my Sweet / Sour Pork!CytoboyDined on 5/17/2014The service was excellent. Parking is easy and reasonably priced just to the left of Frank's, when viewing from "L" Street. The food was okay overall, but not outstanding. The freshness and temperature on delivery were somewhat lacking but I am hypercritical. We had a good time getting together with old friends.I would recommend this to a friend.