FRANK @ The Art Gallery of Ontario
317 Dundas Street West
Toronto, ON M5TNeighborhood:
Downtown/ Financial District
Comfort FoodPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
FRANK @ The Art Gallery of Ontario
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ago.net/frank
- Phone: 4169796688
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jeff Dueck
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from FRANK @ The Art Gallery of Ontario
One of the Frank Gehry-designed spaces, FRANK restaurant is conveniently located on the first floor with access from Dundas Street. The restaurant is casual chic: modern Danish furnishings are paired with acrylic tabletops in a multitude of vibrant colours. Etched glass and vertical-grain Douglas fir also accent the space. Jeff Dueck serves as executive chef at FRANK. Dueck’s passion and enthusiasm for all things food and wine mark him as one of the city’s most dedicated and creative chefs. With a dedication to using the best local produce, menus reflect seasonal changes and availability. Ingredients are sourced from the finest suppliers and farms, and are cooked simply to showcase the natural flavours of the food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
FRANK @ The Art Gallery of Ontario - Best Restaurants in Downtown/ Financial District ›
FRANK @ The Art Gallery of Ontario reviews from OpenTable diners
170 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (81)special occasion (71)fit for foodies (70)great for brunch (57)neighborhood gem (25)good for groups (24)romantic (19)notable wine list (16)kid-friendly (10)hot spot (7)scenic view (6)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Unfriendly serviceErikaDined on 8/23/2014We always eat at Frank's when we visit the AGO. This time we greeted a waitress standing by the bar when we entered (as she was the only staff person on the floor) and she very rudely nodded towards the hostess desk as if we'd committed some incredible faux pas in greeting her. Later she came to our table as our waitress. She was competent but incredibly cold and unfriendly, which colored our whole lunch experience. I don't know her name but she has short, blond hair. If I ever eat at Frank's again I would likely ask to not be served by her. We had the brunch menu— french toast and eggs Benedict— food was fine but not exceptional.Special Features:
- Fantastic spotAYoungDined on 8/22/2014We always have dinner at FRANK before attending a galley opening. Great experience every visit. The desert menu is out of this world - you just know that every item is well thought of. Also, very consistent and good quality every time.Special Features:
- Dinner at FrankQueenBDined on 8/22/2014Touring the gorgeous architecture of the Art Gallery of Ontario, taking in all the fantastic art, and having dinner or a quick bite at Frank is like a vacation from the everyday. A great experience. Take your time and savour every minute!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way to go at the AGO!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014A very tasty lunch with friendly, knowledgable and attentive service.Special Features:
- Great Choices!Ever4FoodDined on 8/21/2014I appreciated being able to peruse the entire menu on the website before arriving. I really like to be able to consider my options beforehand--and there were great options! I enjoyed the Alex Colville Prix Fixe dinner...especially the blueberry pie/tart for dessert! The Cod Fritters were crispy and hot, although some of the cod was a litte dry, and the Cranberry Bean Succotash flavourful, with lots of al dente vegetables. My friend loved her salmon entree. We loved the ambiance of the place. Sitting under the skylight near the kitchen, we loved the light reflecting off the brilliant green iridescent tabletop. There's a great wine list, and the service was friendly and attentive. I'd go again. We had a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InspiringNancyDined on 8/21/2014I'm always inspired when I dine here because I've just come from some fabulous art exhibit in the AGO. The dinning experience never fails to inspire as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and fine artfoodfaddieDined on 8/21/2014The ambiance is creative and worthy of the AGO. The food is always gourmet delicious. I always comment on the outstanding service. I always dine at Frank when attending the Art Gallery. It is a perfect packageSpecial Features:
- Good place for lunchsingaporeladyDined on 8/21/2014This was our first time at Franks's and we connected lunch with a visit to the AGO. The service was quick and the food was also very good. We would definitely come again if we should ever be in the neighborhood or whenever we visit the AGO. We find the place a tad noisy probably due to the open concept of the restaurant within the art gallery. It may also have to do with the fact that the place was packed during the lunch hour. I like the fact that it is an open kitchen and one could see the chefs cooking our meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great surprisetreasureDined on 8/21/2014Unique environment, private yet public tone, aesthetically delightful view of Toronto's character, artfully presented delicious delectables. A new favourite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceLoveVQAwinesDined on 8/20/2014If you are attending the AGO part of the artistic experience is to eat at Frank's and review the show you just attended. Food and service were absolutely wonderful! Several years ago when Frank first opened up I was pleasantly surprised to see a great list of Canadian wines including some of our very best. What a great statement showcasing Ontario wines in Ontario's artistic show case. Today their wine list is populated with a mediocre, no, make that a poor selection of International wines with a couple of very generic Ontario Bordeax blends. Thank goodness they haven't done that to their Canadian Art Collection. Where is the leadership?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Beautiful Setting.JanDVIPDined on 8/15/2014Whe had a delightfull meal in this beautiful restaurant inside the Art gallery of Ontario designed by Frank Gehry. The service was also excellent It was also nice and quiet so we could enjoy the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great business lunchJtaylorDined on 8/7/2014This is the second time I have gone to Frank for a business lunch. The food has been amazing both times. The flying fish tacos have an amazing hot sauce, and the burger is very messy but very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lizard05VIPDined on 8/6/2014Service was outstanding and food was very good, however my only complaint was regarding kids menu. I was expecting real chicken fingers, not the frozen kind - and at $7 with no side (fries were an extra $4). Kind of ridiculous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fitting of the Art GalleryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/6/2014Business lunch on this occasion but I was very impressed with the food and service. The FRANK burger was stunning! Ground beef brisket with fiore di latte and chutney was a great combination. My guest's omelette looked light and delicious. Service was stellar too; efficient, pleasant and popped by just right to fix us up but also let us get our conversations done. Polished and professional. I'll go back for certain and this might be my new business lunch spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loving lunch at FRANKSemiRegularVisitorDined on 8/5/2014One of my favourite places is still an exceptional dining location, despite changes to the team.Special Features:
- Great lunch spotShirleygirlDined on 7/23/2014This is an excellent place for client or professional lunches. A bit expensive for a family outing. We really enjoyed it and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediumLorisDined on 7/18/2014The service was fantastic but the food could have been better considering there was only a couple other tables.Special Features:
- ToeTapDined on 7/17/2014The cod fritters were too salty. The flank steak was bland and the large ravioli a disappointing side. The salad was fine. In short, this was not an innspired offering for a summerlicious menu.Special Features:
- Would not returnOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014I went with my brother and wife during Summerlicious after visiting the AGO. While the AGO is great, We won't go again to the restaurant. While the food is presented very nicely, the service is excellent, and the restaurant itself is romantic it just isn't worthy of the price. The crab cakes appetizer we had were very salty. The vegan burger my wife tried was a mistake as it was not flavourful at all, but the flank steak I ordered was good.Special Features:
- Summerliscious not great...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014Popped in for a quick lunch before going to the gallery…food was just OK. Pineapple salad was sweet and quite nice. Lake perch was disappointing. Four very small finger sizes pieces that were fried and overcooked. I usually prefer not to eat the fish skin but it would not come off. Some cookie ice-cream sandwich thing for dessert…cookie stale and hard and I couldn't really bite through it. Not great. Had a nice visit with my friend but was unimpressed with the lunch over all.Special Features:
- Good food. Terrible serviceSistersDined on 7/16/2014Service was terrible. Orders mixed up. Waited while another table ate our order. Food was very good but we will not return.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/15/2014We were entertaining friends from out of town. I was embarrassed for having spoken so well of Franks. Only the dessert was good. Service was very slow. The appetizer was call cod fritters ( plural ) what we had was one cod cake (similar to crab cake). The main course was a plateful of beans - the tiny piece of Lake Perch was the size of a sardine. That was the worst. I could have opened up a can of beans at home if that was what we wanted. The vegan bun was dry and our guest wasn't even offered a condiment. It will be a long time before we eat there again.
- Disappointed, franklyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014My first dining experience at Frank was a disappointment. While I did enjoy the cocktail that accompanied my brunch, I wish to forget the meal I ordered. Service was sloppy and the experience over all fell below my expectations. Perhaps with better service and a more varried menu I would have enjoyed my brunch more.
- Lovely brunchSarahcourtDined on 7/13/2014I took my mom for her birthday brunch. The food was delicious (franks benny and pancakes), service attentive and lovely ambiance. I found it upscale but still relaxed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful, to be FrankflyndineVIPDined on 7/12/2014First time dining at Frank and it will not be the last. Both Summerlicious and a-la-carte menu items were fairly portioned and well seasoned. Service second-to-none. We appreciated that all plates arrived at once. All courses were served at an appropriate pace. The Lake Erie perch dish was delicious but felt it could have used a bit more fish. Overall, an excellent visit highlighted by attentive and professional service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/11/2014considering it's at the ago the decor could have been much better
- Terrible food at the AGO!goodfoodamustDined on 7/11/2014I had been to Frank previously and had really enjoyed the food. However the best descriptor for the Summerlicious July 2014 dinner I had was "horrible"! I would guess that this meal was prepared by a 1st year University student with no prior experience in cooking. The appetizer of pineapple salad contained minute portions of pineapple with some sort of wilted leaves (I could have prepared a better pineapple salad by eating it directly out of the can!). The salted cod fritters were way too salty (duh - you are supposed to soak salted cod prior to using). The entree of ocean perch was dry and unflavourful. The ice cream dessert was stale. The atmosphere plus server were good. Note: The server was very apologetic about the food!!
- Excellent!Russ1958Dined on 7/11/2014I planned a congradultory lunch for my staff and the venue, service and food were amazing! I highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It just gets better!CathyandColleenDined on 7/10/2014We went for Summerlicious and the food was delish. One of us is vegan and she was, as usual, impressed with her choices too. The service could not possibly be better and we love treating ourselves now and then by dropping by for a terrific meal. And, the added bonus is that you can go into the Art Gallery afterwards!Special Features:
- Post museum dinnerArtLoverDined on 7/9/2014I visited the restaurant after the late night opening of AGO. Straight from art to dinner. Very convenient. The summerlicious menu was great!Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/9/2014This was some shock because we've eaten here before and it's been great, but they really dropped their standards for Summerlicious. My wife's cod fritters were salty, over-breaded and over-cooked; I had to go hunting for any pineapple in my pineapple salad; the quinoa burger was a mushy mess that fell apart and was served dry; the perch was decent but the portion was so small we thought it was an appetizer; and the desserts looked & tasted like they had been bought at the grocery store. A massive disappointment from a formerly good restaurant. We won't be back.
- Artistic MenufunfoodieDined on 7/9/2014Enjoyed the themed menu. Liked the waiter's thoughtful suggestions for wine / beer pairings.
- Civilized and sumptuousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/9/2014The food was tasty and the servings pleasantly modest. Quality over quantity. We also enjoyed the airier ambiance of the second floorI would recommend this to a friend.
- FRANKly, my dear....TamfalDined on 7/9/2014The food was ok, a bit pricey for lunch, maybe better for dinner? The service could have been better, granted it was during Summerlicious and maybe a bit busier than norm, but all the other servers seemed to be less swamped, or manic, and far friendlier than ours. Just wasn't what I was expecting for a place like that. However, the manager was very nice and accommodating when needed. I went here to celebrate a birthday, told them ahead of time, and when I got to the resto (hostess made a note, apparently) but absolutely nothing was done when came time for dessert! I was very disappointed :(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet Sunday brunchEllieDined on 7/6/2014Staff very attentive and knowledgeable. A fair selection of dishes for brunch, including alcoholic (and non-) punch and fresh juices.Special Features:
- Luv2eatDined on 7/5/2014We went for the Summerlcious and felt that the menu was limited with a few selections. The quality of the food, compared to the last time I went there (2011), was poor this time.Special Features:
- AngelDDined on 7/5/2014Our dining experience at Frank was very enjoyable. Our server was friendly, courteous and very attentive. The food was delicious and beautifully presented. Attractive decor, not too loud, and the background music (jazz/blues) was wonderful. We had a lovely time - the perfect ending to our afternoon at the gallery - and we would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingArtLoverVIPDined on 7/5/2014The lunch menu was far more limited than ever before -- and we have dined at Frank various times over the years. If you liked breakfast fare (eggs) or a cheese steak, it was OK. But the interesting dishes of the past, like seafood tacos, or imaginative salads -- were missing. The service and ambiance, however, were excellent.Special Features:
- OK food, small portion, expensiveAC91Dined on 7/4/2014Went here for the summerlicious promotion.the food isn't bad, but very small portions, and the regular menu is quite pricey at $40 or so for each main course. The decor is rather plain, which is odd, considering it is inside the AGO. Our server must have had a long day. While he was polite and courteous, his smile and his voice was not genuine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedLove2DineDined on 7/4/2014Appetizer - cod fritter - way too salty. Main - lake Erie perch - way too oily. Dessert - berry bread pudding - too saucy and sour and take away the overall taste of the dessert. I tend to have a lower expectation for summerlicious meals but the meal was thoroughly disapppinting.Special Features: