FRANK @ The Art Gallery of Ontario
317 Dundas Street West
Toronto, ON M5TNeighborhood:
Downtown/ Financial District
Comfort FoodPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
FRANK @ The Art Gallery of Ontario
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ago.net/frank
- Phone: 4169796688
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jeff Dueck
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from FRANK @ The Art Gallery of Ontario
One of the Frank Gehry-designed spaces, FRANK restaurant is conveniently located on the first floor with access from Dundas Street. The restaurant is casual chic: modern Danish furnishings are paired with acrylic tabletops in a multitude of vibrant colours. Etched glass and vertical-grain Douglas fir also accent the space. Jeff Dueck serves as executive chef at FRANK. Dueck’s passion and enthusiasm for all things food and wine mark him as one of the city’s most dedicated and creative chefs. With a dedication to using the best local produce, menus reflect seasonal changes and availability. Ingredients are sourced from the finest suppliers and farms, and are cooked simply to showcase the natural flavours of the food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
FRANK @ The Art Gallery of Ontario - Best Restaurants in Downtown/ Financial District ›
FRANK @ The Art Gallery of Ontario reviews from OpenTable diners
168 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (80)special occasion (71)fit for foodies (65)great for brunch (51)neighborhood gem (28)good for groups (26)romantic (21)notable wine list (13)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (6)scenic view (5)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Very pleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/17/2014A great place to take visitors before or after visiting the museum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Diners who don't mind loud background noise would enjoy the good food and service at this restaurant. Decaf coffee was very good. Of course it's very convenient for AGO patrons.Special Features:
- DisappointingprofemeritaDined on 9/16/2014Frank has long been one of my favourite places. I've come here with family and friends, and on my own after a solo visit to the gallery. The food used to be exceptional. Then it got simpler but stayed quirky and inventive. The last few times it's been much more ordinary. The menu looks inviting, but the dishes don't live up to their names, or prices. The last two visits were disappointing. I've had much better lobster rolls in the Maritimes, for half the price. The prix fixe menu sounded interesting but tasted ordinary. The wild blueberry salad had so few berries, I could only taste the heavy grains. The "Halifax donair" was a poor imitation of the real thing. The blueberry pie was mostly crust. Dear Frank: this is a wakeup call!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Being frank about "Frank"bentguruDined on 9/12/2014Being a regular diner-out and having lunched alone as well entertained a Good Friend at dinner at Frank I put it in the 5-star section of my downtown Toronto eateries. The beer list needs some extension; however the wine list is quite adequate. The food goes beyond excellent to superb and the service is at an equal level. Enjoy either alone or in company.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday lunchBevartDined on 9/11/2014Thursday was a perfect day. We had a wonderful visit to the Colville exhibit which was followed by an equally wonderful lunch at Frank. The food was exceptional as was the service. My husband thoroughly enjoyed his birthday as did I. The Frank has become one of our favourite restaurants and we plan to visit often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at FrankpercytooDined on 9/10/2014We ordered the fish tacos which were dry and tasteless because they left off the magic sauce - which when it arrived didn't help much.
- 2nd and last time hereDannygirlDined on 9/7/2014They forgot my food. I had to sit for 10 minutes while my friends ate (I refused to let them have their meals get cold waiting for me), then when it finally came it was without the side of bacon I had ordered. He forgot to bring the dessert menu which I had to request after waiting for him to offer it when he took our coffee orders so our coffee was cold by the time we actually got the menus and ordered. The food just as last time was nothing special. They charge fine dining prices but it isn't fine dining. I now view it as strictly a tourist type place, people are going to go there because of the AGO so mediocre should suffice I guess. The one positive is the atmosphere is nice and the hostess was very sweet.Special Features:
- Outstanding Food & ServiceFoodforLifeDined on 9/7/2014As we entered the restaurant after seeing the Alex Colville exhibit, we were greeted by the hostess who was energetic, friendly and truly hospitable. She recommended a few dishes off the brunch menu as I sat down. The server was just as amiable and helpful with the menu. My boyfriend ordered the benny and I ordered the brisket hash, which was not your typical diner dish. This one was a feast for the eyes and the stomach. The flavours married well and the texture from the crunchy potatoes made this dish unique and extra special. The coffee was a standout too. We will definitely be back when we next visit the AGO.Special Features:
- dinner pre firsr thursday at agoViperman125Dined on 9/4/2014What better a combination than a dinner right in the ago prior to a first Thursday. An added bonus was our seating in a corner seat, and much more romantic seating position.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/3/2014We came to the AGO/Frank to celebrate my wife's birthday. We enjoyed the Colville exhibit and our dining experience at Frank. I was particularly impressed by the attentive service and quality of food.Special Features:
- Unfriendly serviceErikaDined on 8/23/2014We always eat at Frank's when we visit the AGO. This time we greeted a waitress standing by the bar when we entered (as she was the only staff person on the floor) and she very rudely nodded towards the hostess desk as if we'd committed some incredible faux pas in greeting her. Later she came to our table as our waitress. She was competent but incredibly cold and unfriendly, which colored our whole lunch experience. I don't know her name but she has short, blond hair. If I ever eat at Frank's again I would likely ask to not be served by her. We had the brunch menu— french toast and eggs Benedict— food was fine but not exceptional.Special Features:
- Fantastic spotAYoungDined on 8/22/2014We always have dinner at FRANK before attending a galley opening. Great experience every visit. The desert menu is out of this world - you just know that every item is well thought of. Also, very consistent and good quality every time.Special Features:
- Dinner at FrankQueenBDined on 8/22/2014Touring the gorgeous architecture of the Art Gallery of Ontario, taking in all the fantastic art, and having dinner or a quick bite at Frank is like a vacation from the everyday. A great experience. Take your time and savour every minute!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way to go at the AGO!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014A very tasty lunch with friendly, knowledgable and attentive service.Special Features:
- Great Choices!Ever4FoodDined on 8/21/2014I appreciated being able to peruse the entire menu on the website before arriving. I really like to be able to consider my options beforehand--and there were great options! I enjoyed the Alex Colville Prix Fixe dinner...especially the blueberry pie/tart for dessert! The Cod Fritters were crispy and hot, although some of the cod was a litte dry, and the Cranberry Bean Succotash flavourful, with lots of al dente vegetables. My friend loved her salmon entree. We loved the ambiance of the place. Sitting under the skylight near the kitchen, we loved the light reflecting off the brilliant green iridescent tabletop. There's a great wine list, and the service was friendly and attentive. I'd go again. We had a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InspiringNancyDined on 8/21/2014I'm always inspired when I dine here because I've just come from some fabulous art exhibit in the AGO. The dinning experience never fails to inspire as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and fine artfoodfaddieDined on 8/21/2014The ambiance is creative and worthy of the AGO. The food is always gourmet delicious. I always comment on the outstanding service. I always dine at Frank when attending the Art Gallery. It is a perfect packageSpecial Features:
- Good place for lunchsingaporeladyDined on 8/21/2014This was our first time at Franks's and we connected lunch with a visit to the AGO. The service was quick and the food was also very good. We would definitely come again if we should ever be in the neighborhood or whenever we visit the AGO. We find the place a tad noisy probably due to the open concept of the restaurant within the art gallery. It may also have to do with the fact that the place was packed during the lunch hour. I like the fact that it is an open kitchen and one could see the chefs cooking our meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great surprisetreasureDined on 8/21/2014Unique environment, private yet public tone, aesthetically delightful view of Toronto's character, artfully presented delicious delectables. A new favourite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceLoveVQAwinesDined on 8/20/2014If you are attending the AGO part of the artistic experience is to eat at Frank's and review the show you just attended. Food and service were absolutely wonderful! Several years ago when Frank first opened up I was pleasantly surprised to see a great list of Canadian wines including some of our very best. What a great statement showcasing Ontario wines in Ontario's artistic show case. Today their wine list is populated with a mediocre, no, make that a poor selection of International wines with a couple of very generic Ontario Bordeax blends. Thank goodness they haven't done that to their Canadian Art Collection. Where is the leadership?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Beautiful Setting.JanDVIPDined on 8/15/2014Whe had a delightfull meal in this beautiful restaurant inside the Art gallery of Ontario designed by Frank Gehry. The service was also excellent It was also nice and quiet so we could enjoy the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great business lunchJtaylorDined on 8/7/2014This is the second time I have gone to Frank for a business lunch. The food has been amazing both times. The flying fish tacos have an amazing hot sauce, and the burger is very messy but very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lizard05VIPDined on 8/6/2014Service was outstanding and food was very good, however my only complaint was regarding kids menu. I was expecting real chicken fingers, not the frozen kind - and at $7 with no side (fries were an extra $4). Kind of ridiculous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- willybillyDined on 8/6/2014great menu for lunch including a vegan option for one in my party - out waiter was incredibly knowledgable, efficient and friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent brunch and drinksevaBDined on 8/6/2014I stopped here for a light lunch with a friend and we were not disappointed! The cocktail selection was inventive and the appetizers satisfying and the gazpacho a perfect soup for summer. Very al fresco even though we were indoors. Like!Special Features:
- Fitting of the Art GalleryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/6/2014Business lunch on this occasion but I was very impressed with the food and service. The FRANK burger was stunning! Ground beef brisket with fiore di latte and chutney was a great combination. My guest's omelette looked light and delicious. Service was stellar too; efficient, pleasant and popped by just right to fix us up but also let us get our conversations done. Polished and professional. I'll go back for certain and this might be my new business lunch spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loving lunch at FRANKSemiRegularVisitorDined on 8/5/2014One of my favourite places is still an exceptional dining location, despite changes to the team.Special Features:
- Great lunch spotShirleygirlDined on 7/23/2014This is an excellent place for client or professional lunches. A bit expensive for a family outing. We really enjoyed it and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediumLorisDined on 7/18/2014The service was fantastic but the food could have been better considering there was only a couple other tables.Special Features:
- ToeTapDined on 7/17/2014The cod fritters were too salty. The flank steak was bland and the large ravioli a disappointing side. The salad was fine. In short, this was not an innspired offering for a summerlicious menu.Special Features:
- Would not returnimjeremyDined on 7/17/2014I went with my brother and wife during Summerlicious after visiting the AGO. While the AGO is great, We won't go again to the restaurant. While the food is presented very nicely, the service is excellent, and the restaurant itself is romantic it just isn't worthy of the price. The crab cakes appetizer we had were very salty. The vegan burger my wife tried was a mistake as it was not flavourful at all, but the flank steak I ordered was good.Special Features:
- Summerliscious not great...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014Popped in for a quick lunch before going to the gallery…food was just OK. Pineapple salad was sweet and quite nice. Lake perch was disappointing. Four very small finger sizes pieces that were fried and overcooked. I usually prefer not to eat the fish skin but it would not come off. Some cookie ice-cream sandwich thing for dessert…cookie stale and hard and I couldn't really bite through it. Not great. Had a nice visit with my friend but was unimpressed with the lunch over all.Special Features:
- Good food. Terrible serviceSistersDined on 7/16/2014Service was terrible. Orders mixed up. Waited while another table ate our order. Food was very good but we will not return.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/15/2014We were entertaining friends from out of town. I was embarrassed for having spoken so well of Franks. Only the dessert was good. Service was very slow. The appetizer was call cod fritters ( plural ) what we had was one cod cake (similar to crab cake). The main course was a plateful of beans - the tiny piece of Lake Perch was the size of a sardine. That was the worst. I could have opened up a can of beans at home if that was what we wanted. The vegan bun was dry and our guest wasn't even offered a condiment. It will be a long time before we eat there again.
- Disappointed, franklyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014My first dining experience at Frank was a disappointment. While I did enjoy the cocktail that accompanied my brunch, I wish to forget the meal I ordered. Service was sloppy and the experience over all fell below my expectations. Perhaps with better service and a more varried menu I would have enjoyed my brunch more.
- Lovely brunchSarahcourtDined on 7/13/2014I took my mom for her birthday brunch. The food was delicious (franks benny and pancakes), service attentive and lovely ambiance. I found it upscale but still relaxed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful, to be FrankflyndineVIPDined on 7/12/2014First time dining at Frank and it will not be the last. Both Summerlicious and a-la-carte menu items were fairly portioned and well seasoned. Service second-to-none. We appreciated that all plates arrived at once. All courses were served at an appropriate pace. The Lake Erie perch dish was delicious but felt it could have used a bit more fish. Overall, an excellent visit highlighted by attentive and professional service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/11/2014considering it's at the ago the decor could have been much better
- Terrible food at the AGO!goodfoodamustDined on 7/11/2014I had been to Frank previously and had really enjoyed the food. However the best descriptor for the Summerlicious July 2014 dinner I had was "horrible"! I would guess that this meal was prepared by a 1st year University student with no prior experience in cooking. The appetizer of pineapple salad contained minute portions of pineapple with some sort of wilted leaves (I could have prepared a better pineapple salad by eating it directly out of the can!). The salted cod fritters were way too salty (duh - you are supposed to soak salted cod prior to using). The entree of ocean perch was dry and unflavourful. The ice cream dessert was stale. The atmosphere plus server were good. Note: The server was very apologetic about the food!!
- Excellent!Russ1958Dined on 7/11/2014I planned a congradultory lunch for my staff and the venue, service and food were amazing! I highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.