FRANK @ The Art Gallery of Ontario
317 Dundas Street West
Toronto, ON M5TNeighborhood:
Downtown/ Financial District
Comfort FoodPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
FRANK @ The Art Gallery of Ontario
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ago.net/frank
- Phone: (416) 979-6688
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jeff Dueck
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from FRANK @ The Art Gallery of Ontario
One of the Frank Gehry-designed spaces, FRANK restaurant is conveniently located on the first floor with access from Dundas Street. The restaurant is casual chic: modern Danish furnishings are paired with acrylic tabletops in a multitude of vibrant colours. Etched glass and vertical-grain Douglas fir also accent the space. Jeff Dueck serves as executive chef at FRANK. Dueck’s passion and enthusiasm for all things food and wine mark him as one of the city’s most dedicated and creative chefs. With a dedication to using the best local produce, menus reflect seasonal changes and availability. Ingredients are sourced from the finest suppliers and farms, and are cooked simply to showcase the natural flavours of the food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
FRANK @ The Art Gallery of Ontario - Best Restaurants in Downtown/ Financial District ›
FRANK @ The Art Gallery of Ontario reviews from OpenTable diners
204 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (111)fit for foodies (105)special occasion (68)great for brunch (57)good for groups (47)neighborhood gem (39)notable wine list (22)romantic (19)hot spot (13)kid-friendly (11)late-night find (8)scenic view (5)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/20/2014We had a very early dinner before going to the theatre, not too far from King St. Very attractive restaurant. Food was very good, had the calamari appetizer which we split and then salmon. My husband had the pasta with meatballs, the waitress had them change it to spaghetti which my husband really appreciated! Both mains were excellent. Excellent service and the waitress was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014....appreciated the menu...accessible, not too esoteric...absolutely delicious for both of us...nice twist on each entree....portion perfect...satisfying ; not too much...... Service friendly and professional... Only complaint is ambient clatter...sitting on upper level and I really am grateful that there was no music...( I love music) ....but at a meal, I love conversation more....especially after enjoying a visit to the galleries. Super enjoyable.can't wait to return.... Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Let's Be Frank...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/19/2014Wednesday afternoon lunch with Michaelangelo seemed like a lovely idea for two "old" ladies. We arrived at Frank at noon and were greeted by a charming hostess who took our coats and seated us at a corner table hidden in the upper logia of the restaurant. Greeted by an amicable waiter who outlined the features of the day, we settled down for a quiet chat and anticipation of a great meal. We were disappointed right away with a bland and tasteless green salad. We have been to many fine restaurants in this city and frankly, expected more. At least fresher and more distinctive, not something we can make at home. Moving on, we both ordered the AAA steak frites. The most disconcerting aspect was that my plate kept sliding around on the table while I cut the meat. Showing the waiter how it could be completely spun around, I asked for a cloth napkin to be placed under it so I could eat. Not too aesthetically pleasing but practical. And the steak? Properly cooked but completely unmemorable. We passed on dessert but had a standard Spanish coffee and unfortunately will remember Frank as the place where the plate slid across the table. Would we visit again? Frankly, not this year.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/18/2014The food at Frank is an excellent complement to the art on display on the walls, making a visit to the AGO, either for a special exhibition or to view again the permanent collection, a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frank's most apealling feature is location.LouisDined on 11/16/2014Attending an exhibit at the AGO, make Frank's part of your day. No matter the weather you are already inside. Service is prompt. Food is well presented. Ambiance is cheerful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing brunch.DowntownerDined on 11/15/2014Have been to Frank a number of times and have enjoyed it. Not this last time. We were there for brunch on Sunday and found it very disappointing. Food was no better than one would find at a diner and twice the price. Not recommended.
- Frank never disappoints.CarolinaDined on 11/15/2014Frank allows diners to experience the delectable nature of the culinary arts before moving on to the delights of the the fine arts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointedeataround7Dined on 11/14/2014Had not eaten here for several years, thought it would be convenient as we were seeing two exhibits that day. Being from the East coast I love seafood. Had the fried clams and the lobster roll. There was too much batter on the clams. The roll for the lobster was a bit stale and there was not enough filling. The accompanying cucumber and arugula salad was way too salty. My friend had the squash soup and omelet the which she declared ok but nothing outstanding, big disappointment overall.
- TracyDined on 11/13/2014Pomegranate, spinach, pumpkin, beet and goat cheese salad DIVINE!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I visit Frank three or four times a year.JacksDined on 11/13/2014Food and service are always excellent. Reliably good use of seasonal produce. Nice discount given to AGO members. One of my fave downtown lunch spots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Art at FrankSoccerdad50Dined on 11/12/2014Tried the Frank restaurant at the AGO and overall was very disappointed. I found the setting very stark. I was surprised that there was no art on any walls - nothing but smudge marks on white. Tables of metal and glass amplified the chatter from other patrons. The food was not very remarkable. I tried the soup of the day which was fine but nothing to write home about. Main of very small portion of trout and too many lentils was extremely disappointing. They threw in a dessert which was ok - standard chocolate ice cream with an expresso shot on top. Far too expensive for the quality of the food and the environment. I just picked the wrong day but be careful
- Birthday dinner at Franknot2pickyDined on 11/5/2014I picked Frank because we went to an exhibition before. Thought it would be a great way to spend a birthday. It was a little loud. They call it 'energetic'. Our food was great. My husband's was not hot when it arrived and therefore got cold really fast. It was tasty though- lamb. Mine was duck- also pretty warm when it arrived & very tasty. Waitress was ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frankly disappointingHungryDined on 11/5/2014Took a friend to AGO and Franks, enjoyed it when I'd been before and was disappointed by mixed quality of food. fried clams on the shell were tasteless, doughy and soggy, fries were excellent, salmon was over done but sides were good, duck was beautifully presented but very rare, not medium as ordered. Service was slow, inattentive and handed off to another server for dessert and coffee.Special Features:
- Worth the TripfanofallartsDined on 11/5/2014On a trip to TO this was a great place for dinner after a theatre matinee. Has also been very good after visiting exhibits.Special Features:
- overall wonderfultellitlikeitisDined on 11/5/2014We had a great special occasion dinner there recently. My husband had the lamb (fantastic) and I had the salmon (incorrectly cooked; first well over then well under). They were very apologetic and did not charge us for the salmon. The rest of the night was just wonderful. I especially liked the tandoori calamari. My husband's salad was excellent as well. The staff was helpful and friendly. Wine, desserts and liquors after dinner were all stellar.Special Features:
- great foodgreatFoodAtFranksDined on 11/2/2014Frank's suffers from too much noise like most modern restaurants, esp for patrons over 50. Aside from that, the food and service are great and I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Frank - A Hidden Gem in ChinatownKoKoDined on 11/1/2014Excellent food with plenty of gluten-free options. Saturday night was quiet and my guests and I loved it! Prices are reasonable and service was attentive. I'd highly recommend this restaurant! Sunday brunches are also very nice.Special Features:
- I would revisitharrowsendDined on 10/31/2014Liked the changes to the menu Thought too many vegetarian dishes Service excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, excellent food!UrsmuseDined on 10/30/2014With comfortable seating, an inspired menu, and a warm and wonderful atmosphere, surrounded by the pleasurable sense of art, our dining experience was tasty and fun! Salads were colourful and a feast for eyes and taste-buds!Special Features:
- Should be betterStephenVIPDined on 10/29/2014Lovely restaurant in a wondrful site -- Art Gallery of Ontario. Prices a bit high, but if food were grand -- even very good -- would still be a bargain. But our simple lunches were ordinary. Not grim, but very ordinary. Service erratic -- nice server, but food delivery slipshod. When our fries didn't appear, we asked the server who came back with chilled fries, gave them to us and said, sorry they were left on the tray.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014The place was packed,very busy but in spike of it the food and service was excellent. Noise was high but tolerableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Enjoyablemax1Dined on 10/25/2014We regularly eat at Frank whenever we go to the AGO and always enjoy the experience. The food is well-prepared, tasty, and often suitable to the particular exhibition on display which makes it a fun experience. Service is always pleasant and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious BreakFirstTimersAtNotaBeneDined on 10/25/2014Between our timed tours, we had reservations for bunch at Frank. This being our first time, we were very pleased with the food - just what you'd expect from the AGO with good quality and creativity. We highly recommend FRANK to others!Special Features:
- Frank RestaurantartistDined on 10/25/2014It is great to have a quality restaurant as part of the Art Gallery experience. I do not live in Toronto. Having easy access to wonderful food is an asset to the Art Gallery ambiance. I always try to start my Gallery hop at Frank'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Nicely designed place, convenient for visits to the AGO. Limited menu, tough steak, but generally food was acceptable. Service was mixed, somewhat intrusive and presumptuous.
- The Perfect StartElizabethDined on 10/21/2014Our experience at FRANK was exceptional from start to finish. We were greeted by the very pleasant hostess and promptly shown to our seats. I had made a special seating request when reserving and was thrilled with the table they had chosen for us. We had the duck breast, the burger, and 2 glasses of red wine. Everything was absolutely delicious and the portions were substantial. Service was friendly and efficient. The room itself was beautiful and well-designed. There was so much attention to detail and those little touches were definitely noticed and appreciated. Lunch at FRANK was the perfect start to our afternoon at the AGO. We will definitely return for another visit and highly recommend it to others. :DSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Will definitely be coming again. Thouroughly enjoyed presentation, service and fooldSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014A fantastic brunch experience. The food and locale were outstanding.Special Features:
- Be Aware !lisyirDined on 10/17/2014Since we were attending an AGO members' preview, Frank's was convenient. As members to the AGO we were excited to attend the Michelangelo preview with our friends and as such this was our treat to them. Dinner went well and the food was fine. However, everything was very disappointing from the moment I paid the bill. The bill had been fudged with an additional $14 (+ change) added to the total (before the tip). When I showed this to our server she mumbled something about the machine being faulty and then required the manager to override the "error". When I asked the manager how this error had happened, he was unable to provide an explanation, leaving me to assume that this had been an act of intention. ... Diners be aware.
- Missing Lobster RollsBobbieDined on 10/17/2014We saw Frank's online Maritime special luncheon menu to support the AGO's current Alex Colville exhibit. Unfortunately, that luncheon special had been replaced. Happily, yummy lobster rolls were still available on the entree menu.Special Features:
- "Pasta Disasta"FrankendinnerDined on 10/16/2014We were a party of four, and 4 different choices were made. Our friends seemed to have no complaints, my husband outright praised his meal, which happens rarely with restaurant meals, as he is, what I would describe as, a foodie. My pasta was a total disappointment. It did not look or taste fresh. It looked dull and warmed over and it tasted stuffy. A very unattractive pasta! But, we would still recommend Frank, since it was only one out of 4, that did not work out, and we had absolutely impeccable service with courtesy and a smile. This was not my first time at Frank, and previously my meals were quite satisfying. It is a convenient place to combine a Gallery visit with one's lunchtime needs, especially for out of town visitors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- visitortoTODined on 10/15/2014It's great to have a fine quality dining room associated with the AGO. The lobster roll was delicious and wine prices reasonable for downtown Toronto. Service was friendly and personable. Lots of choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SufficientUdrokoosDined on 10/15/2014Food was decently good, it wasn't anything to write home about. The lower level is quite noisy so try to get seated in the upper level, its much quieter. Dinner for two people with apps and wine was $125 + Tip with our members discount. At that price point, the food could have been a little better. Its not that it was bad, it just wasn't something that would make you remember the place for. I would go back but only due to it's convenience of being really the only higher end dining establishment in the area.Special Features:
- Art and fine dining in one packagefoodfaddieDined on 10/15/2014Whenever I go to the gallery I include lunch at this favorite restaurant. The service is always friendly and efficient. I love the ambiance. The food is superbSpecial Features:
- Consistently great....!artEditorDined on 10/14/2014FRANK never disappoints. The menu is always changing, and the quality of the offerings is always excellent — seasonal, with a large nod to local producers. That would be reason enough to enjoy FRANK. But when you factor in a sophisticated space within a superlative art gallery PLUS knowledgeable and welcoming staff, you know you're going to have a memorable dining experience. Warmest thanks to everyone at FRANK!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favourite For Dining when at AGOEatTO2014Dined on 10/14/2014Excellent food and presentation. Good wine list. Ambience is cool and modern. Service is usually very good. Choice of two levels for dining. Back room upper level is not a favourite as no source of natural light.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hip & HumbleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Food was very good, waiter was kind and patient, atmosphere was upbeat and yet not pretentious.Special Features:
- A surprising destination restaurantGimaVIPDined on 10/11/2014We were in line waiting for the concierge in our Toronto hotel when the person in front of us, who was very familiar with the city, told us to be sure to see the Art Gallery of Ontario and to eat at the restaurant there, Frank. Both were incredible recommendations. The menu reflected the season - we had a roasted pumpkin and goat cheese salad and salmon with roasted cauliflower polenta, spiced pumpkin purée, maple roasted apples, and crispy kale. Yum!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MiketheMaritimerDined on 10/10/2014Enjoy eating (if not, reading) your exhibition themed menus! Look forward to receiving your lobster/mac/cheese recipe!Special Features:
- reliably excellent, againSinjinsaysDined on 10/9/2014I get to Frank several times a year for lunch with a friend or a client. The service is always excellent and the food is always very good to excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.