1535 South Eighth
St. Louis, MO 63104Neighborhood:
Soulard / Benton Park
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.eatatfranco.com/
- Phone: 314-436-2500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Christopher Williams
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Franco is happy to work with any guest to create a menu specific to their needs while providing interesting and exciting new catering options, with a French influence.
- Entertainment: Franco lets the good times roll every Wednesday Night in the bar. Local musicians perform an array of styles, but the emphasis is always on eclectic and entertaining tunes with good taste.
- Cross Street: Carroll Street
- Public Transit: Metrolink at Busch Stadium is only a 10 min walk north from us. This makes us an ideal place to eat real food before or after the game.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a 125 space lot directly across the street. During the day the lot is metered, but after 5:30 parking is free.
A word from Franco
Franco offers classic, rustic French cuisine. We utilize only the best and freshest ingredients and support our local farmers as much as possible. Located in historic Soulard we are 20 feet away from the Soulard Farmers Market, the oldest market west of the Mississippi. Everyday our chef walks the market and changes the menu to incorporate the inspirational seasonal bounty he finds. Some of our favorites are Braised Lamb Shank, Steak Frites and Steamed Mussels. At lunch, don't miss the Coq au Vin. Franco opened in late 2006 and received the honor of being named St. Louis Best New Restaurant by Sauce Magazine, The Riverfront Times, Alive Magazine and St. Louis Magazine. The interior of the restaurant received an AIA design award. It is beautiful and elegant while staying approachable and inviting. Franco has several different seating options with a private dining room, bar, patio and private event space. We hope to see you soon for lunch our dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Franco reviews from OpenTable diners
108 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (72)special occasion (65)romantic (54)neighborhood gem (47)notable wine list (27)good for groups (18)vibrant bar scene (6)hot spot (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Window seatDashtodineDined on 9/19/2014We had the option to sit in regular chairs or up on the window sill with pillows. We obviously chose the latter & were not disappointed. You get to see everything: your fellow patrons laughing, the kitchen staff building the next meal, and the waiting staff navigating the modestly elegant dining area. The atmosphere is calm and warm which makes it the optimal place to bring a first date or even a small group looking to start the night on a high note.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerreviewDined on 9/16/2014We were met with a glass of bubbly and things just got better as the evening continued. Melinda took very good care of us and we enjoyed the Cheese Flight and two delicious dinners: ribeye and tuna. Finally we could not resist chocolate ice cream and champagne sorbet. On to another year of marital bliss :)Special Features:
- What a FindSoulardsusieDined on 9/15/2014I went to Franco because I saw a Groupon for it. I'm always curious about French restaurants though I don't frequent them much. Beautiful menu. Unfortunately I wasn't famished, so I didn't get an entree, only the French Onion soup which was wonderful and a side order of the beets. All delish. The gentleman that greeted us and showed us to our table was a little snooty I thought, but server was very friendly. I will go back, but my husband said once is enough. I want to go back and try an entree. They all looked very interesting and delicious.Special Features:
- DisappointingluvfrenchfoodDined on 9/13/2014We were celebrating a significant occasion and invited friends to join us. Having dined here before and enjoyed it, we hyped up the experience to our friends. From the moment we sat down something felt off. We waited about 10 minutes before the bartender brought over the bottle of champagne we had brought it. After perusing the menu, and learning of the specials, we were told several items were sold out. The restaurant was only about half full and we were seated at 7:30 so that was puzzling. After our appetizers were served, we asked for bread and were presented with a tiny baquette for the 4 of us. The duck salad and French Onion soup were very good but our lamb entree was just ok. Our friend's chicken was not as described.Special Features:
- A favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2014In a group of four adults who regularly dine out, Franco is a favorite. Great space, attentive but non-intrusive service, great overall feeling and strong kitchen.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Had a great quick bite to eat before an event. Waiter was very attentive to our timing issues and all went smoothly. Menu has a good breadth to it and everyone's food was delicious. Real solid experience.
- TRULY YUMMY & UNIQUE DELIGHTEatingmachineDined on 9/11/2014Our recent dining visit was truly a taste delight. The space is wonderful, the menu is unique, the service was first class! The owner "Matt" cruised around visiting the diners soliciting honest feedback re their dining experience. We will continue to FEAST here and HIGHLY RECOMMEND it to all our FOODIE FRIENDS etc. JOB WELL DONE!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the Escargot!arclevelandDined on 9/10/2014The escargot are exceptional... served in a bowl with fresh from the oven bread....what more can you ask for? Confit pork belly---if you love bacon then you have got to try this. The roasted beets with pistachios was different....but different good! My sister loved the mussles. I had the special that night--lamb chops. It was good but not memorable. Tahitian creme brulee is a must! Good wine...I especially like the house chardonnay. Second time I've eaten here....it won't be the last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOT good!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014It did not seem to matter to the only person we saw connected to the restaurant if we were there or not. And, she was sloppy in attire and not at all pleasant .
- Groupon-tinted glasses?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014I worry that this review doesn't actually reflect our true experience, but the title is quite accurate. The last time we came, it was a bustling establishment; the cool window seating was our only option as it was quite busy. This most recent event, there were never less than half a dozen tables open. The food was pretty good; while only being able to understand/pronounce half the items on the menu, I got a good deal. However, I feel like part of what affected our perceptions of the restaurant was the fact that there was a Groupon (they come up quite often on the website). Not only b/c of the prices but b/c of the distance to travel there, we probably won't go again unless there's a Groupon available. Not overwhelming, not terrible.Special Features:
- TerrypuncDined on 9/5/2014Food excellent, as always! Great advice about a wine choice as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014The service was incredible and the food was AMAZING! My wife and I went for our honeymoon and they were so amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great Servicemillerkm87Dined on 8/26/2014We tried Franco for the first time this week. Our server was very friendly and helpful. We try and lot of restaurants and are usually pretty picky but there food was great! We ordered the ribeye and the chicken dish. Definitely worth checking out, we will be back. The menu is a little pricey but well thought out and worth it for a nice dinner or special occasion.Special Features:
- Wonderful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014We had a great meal of escargots in a fabulous sauce, today's fish, and a lovely chicken dish with truffle sauce. The perfect amount of rich!Special Features:
- Good placecaremoVIPDined on 8/19/2014The best onion soup ever! Great Caesar salad . My bf had the scallops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Chose this restaurant off of the internet and thought we would give it a try. We were very pleased with the ambience and service at the restaurant. It was a not a loud restaurant and allowed for my wife and I to sit and enjoy wine & meal and just talk. The food was average, but we are willing to try it again and order different meals. We would recommend this restaurant and will be going back.Special Features:
- Prime Spot for Prime RibOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Franco's has never disappointed when it comes to the prime rib! It is always fresh meat and perfectly seasoned!Special Features:
- Dinner with familyJeffersonDined on 8/2/2014Our family met in St. Louis from a variety of cities, and decided to enjoy dinner at Franco on 2nd August, this our first time. The menu was exceptional, fresh and enticing- precisely what we looked for in an comfortable French restaurant where the evening was focused on service and quality of food, not pretense. Our waiter immediately understood my queue and carefully, with great patience undetected, explained the unique menu to my younger guests who are as yet unfamiliar with such an experience and menu. For this, I was grateful as three of the four late-twenty-somethings explored the menu and enjoyed oysters, Foie gras, escargot & Marseille seafood stew. Today, one week later, my son still speaks of the meal. Merci.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood StewYumTumDined on 8/2/2014The seafood stew was wonderful; full of seafood including octopus and lobster and the broth was tasty. For pork lovers, my husband enjoyed the pork entry with four types of preparations. The appetizer cheese beignets were doughy without evidence of cheese and would be better as a dessert. The decor was sophisticated, yet casual. Jeans or dress clothes seemed appropriate. Entree priced moderate for fine dining, around $25 -$30 each. I recommend the restaurant.Special Features:
- Dinner in SoulardWeekendsinstlDined on 8/2/2014This sleek restaurant hides in one of the ubiquitous old red brick buildings across the street from historic Soulard Market. We enjoyed the grilled scallop appetizer, which was served with haricots verts and grilled shallots, a tasty beginning to dinner. The rib-eye steak, which came with a vegetable and a house specialty, pommes frites, was grilled to perfection. The French onion soup was excellent. The salmon and pastrami salad was quite good, however there was no pastrami in it. It did have plenty of salmon and beet chunks and was nicely presented. The menu is interesting, food delicious, presentation done well. The staff was friendly and efficient. We look forward to another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so-sozebra910Dined on 7/25/2014The ambiance was wonderful. The service was pretty good. The food had a lot to be desired. My trout was overcooked and beans were way too heavy. My husband's chicken was very dry.Special Features:
- Francobltfoodie1Dined on 7/23/2014The seafood stew was excellent! Good wine list, and interesting appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/21/2014Franco had a limited menu, but excellent food. Best French onion soup and unusual appetizers. Food was well prepared and nicely presented. Servers were knowledgeable and pleasant. An overall pleasant experience for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem at Farmers Market in St LouisBrianBDined on 7/19/2014The menu at Franco is inventive with good selections across the board. In how many places do you find skate? Wine list was compact 25 reds and about the same number of whites but the selection was excellent. Price range should fit most everyone's budget and there were about 10 good wines by the glass. Decor is modern with plenty of room between tables. Fairly large bar area with seating to eat. Service was very attentive and excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great space!LilaDined on 7/17/2014I love the building although it sometimes is noise-challenged. Food very good. Wait staff lagging a bit, maybe need more.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014Our dining experience was very disappointing. Our waiter was very inattentive and unhelpful. We left after an appetizer and one drink. The restaurant was not busy and had enough wait staff to serve the customers. Our waiter did not engage us or serve us well.
- Wonderful as alwaysBZ64Dined on 7/17/2014Franco is our go-to place when we want to have a nice dinner, celebrate an occasion or have an evening out with friends. The food is always beautifully prepared and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Fish Stew!STLnewbeeDined on 7/12/2014This was a very nice restaurant. Parking was easy; Atmosphere friendly. It is a large open space with high ceilings so a little noisy. I had the rib eye which done to perfection, but if you are interested in something more interesting, have the fish stew as my husband did. Superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingZachDined on 7/12/2014The food here was okay, but uninspiring on almost all levels. Price to quality ration was awful. There lacked any kind of imagination, and not even garnish to spruce up the very brown trotter or even a dab of creme on the tomato based soup for contrasting color. Presentation just lacked completely. The dishes didn't match the wonderful interior and swanky feel. Food was mostly over-salted and lacking in acid. Service was non-existent. Our desert menus were simply plopped down on our table without any explanation or even asking us if we had questions. I couldn't tell you who the manager was, because they weren't around. Too bad. Never once did we feel special or appreciated for being customers. Hopefully it was an off night.Special Features:
- Visiting from New ZealandKiwi4stlouisDined on 7/10/2014Coming from a lamb country your shank was fantastic. Loved the use of ozark and missouri fare. Good to see. Nice interesting setting with light decor. I don't drink so can't comment in wine or beer list but good to see regional and Canadian beers. Food was fantastic with interesting combination. If you were in Auckland it would be a regular spot for us. Great building and glad soulard continues to grow and suprise. Came with my parent who live in Clayton. I saw the menu and that is what brought us down. Best of luck. See you next year when i am back visiting. Reminded me of the engine room restaurant in northcote Auckland. CheersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SplendidDinerDined on 6/28/2014Every dish was flavored with perfection. I had three grilled shrimp. You can choose the quantity and I like my starter to be a taste and not something to fill me up before my entree. I ordered the rib eye steak and it was nicely seasoned and tender. The fire roasted beets were sensational and I ended up taking some home and they were good the next day. The apple tart tatin was good but I like my apple slices a little thinner. Our waiter was courteous and attentive in a subtle way. It had been a while since I dined there and I forgot how truly good the food is and our party of four all agreed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cuisineHunting4foodDined on 6/27/2014My wife and I like to find unique, non-chain resturaunts, and Franco was a find! We loved the ambience, and the chicken roulade and grilled beets were exquisite! This is definitely going on our list of favorites!!Special Features:
- Atmosphere Makes Franco SpecialChurlsVIPDined on 6/24/2014We especially enjoyed sitting at a window table where we sit up high and can view the entire room. Was very comfortable. Franco's food, especially the small plates, was very good, except the skeet fish was just OK. Ordered a glass of Chardonnay and a local beer and enjoyed both. The chocolate cake for dessert was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but service lackingAppertizerersDined on 6/21/2014We had a nice light meal with my partner and I sharing appetizers and a signature drinks. We ordered fried brie which was good but could have used a small amount of perhaps sea salt to contrast the sweetness of the delicious dipping sauce. That portion of our order came fairly quickly. Then we ordered the cheese plate and pomme frites. These seemed to take too long to make it to our table. Also, the cheese plate was provided without crackers so we had to ask for bread. However, both appetizers were delicious and the bread was WONDERFUL!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/21/2014Excellent overall experience. Grilled trout not as wonderful as expected, otherwise the service and atmosphere are perfect...especially pleased that noise level was quite low, while the dining room was full - that almost never happens anymore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeekDined on 6/21/2014The emphasis at Franco is clearly on the food--which is always top notch! But the wine, the service and the classy setting (in an old baby-carriage factory stripped to its rugged architectural core) all add to the richness of the experience.Special Features:
- First time hereMitzVIPDined on 6/20/2014We arrived early and decided to wait in the bar. The bartender, Jason, was extremely knowledgable about Franco's menu and answered our many questions. He made a great Margarita too! Once we moved to a table the service was fine but not outstanding. Our food was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Franco - SoularddsomerDined on 6/18/2014I like the Soulard neighborhood, and Franco's offers a little more upscale dining experience for those who travel to this unique St. Louis area. I had the potato crusted chicken roulade and really enjoyed the meal. I recommend Franco's if you are looking for a new spot in Soulard.
- Food A+, Service CHirschwritesVIPDined on 6/14/2014Great food, but indifferent service. Brie beignet was good opening to share. Then I had ribeye … big enough to take home some for lunch and great frites. Others had mushroom pot au feu and sous vide skate wing. All good. Wines are pricey. Tart ratine was only okay. But waiter was clearly indifferent, lacked any kind of energy.Special Features:
- best french onion soup!caremoVIPDined on 6/12/2014Franco has the best french onion soup ever!!! I would come in just for that. The steak was just ok that is why I only rated restaurant "Good". The rest of the food should be just as superb as the french onion soup for how expensive the restaurant was. We could never find the waiter and it wasn't busy as it was a Thursday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.