1535 South Eighth
St. Louis, MO 63104Neighborhood:
Soulard / Benton Park
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.eatatfranco.com/
- Phone: (314) 436-2500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Christopher Williams
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Franco is happy to work with any guest to create a menu specific to their needs while providing interesting and exciting new catering options, with a French influence.
- Entertainment: Franco lets the good times roll every Wednesday Night in the bar. Local musicians perform an array of styles, but the emphasis is always on eclectic and entertaining tunes with good taste.
- Cross Street: Carroll Street
- Public Transit: Metrolink at Busch Stadium is only a 10 min walk north from us. This makes us an ideal place to eat real food before or after the game.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a 125 space lot directly across the street. During the day the lot is metered, but after 5:30 parking is free.
A word from Franco
Franco offers classic, rustic French cuisine. We utilize only the best and freshest ingredients and support our local farmers as much as possible. Located in historic Soulard we are 20 feet away from the Soulard Farmers Market, the oldest market west of the Mississippi. Everyday our chef walks the market and changes the menu to incorporate the inspirational seasonal bounty he finds. Some of our favorites are Braised Lamb Shank, Steak Frites and Steamed Mussels. At lunch, don't miss the Coq au Vin. Franco opened in late 2006 and received the honor of being named St. Louis Best New Restaurant by Sauce Magazine, The Riverfront Times, Alive Magazine and St. Louis Magazine. The interior of the restaurant received an AIA design award. It is beautiful and elegant while staying approachable and inviting. Franco has several different seating options with a private dining room, bar, patio and private event space. We hope to see you soon for lunch our dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Franco reviews from OpenTable diners
89 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (60)special occasion (59)romantic (54)neighborhood gem (41)notable wine list (28)good for groups (18)hot spot (7)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (4)Show More
- Franco ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014Overall atmosphere is great --romantic and well interior designing We had a late reservation on a weeknight..they were slower due to it being later in the evening. I will go right ahead and say that the food we had was fantastic. My wife and I will usually get a four course meal when we go out but that night we took it easy. We each soup and an entree. They were fantastic and the portions were large--very worth your money. I was impressed with the food quality and presentation of each dish. however....it is a french based menu and am I french? NO. So...when I come to a restaurant where I may not know some things on the menu, I will ask. And with that...I expect the servers to know how to answer the questions. I feel like out of the 4-6 questions my wife and I asked, they were poorly answered ...not because the server didn't care but because the server had no idea what she was talking about ...at all. She did a mediocre job at describing the dishes so it made choosing rather difficult. Also, I felt like maybe because it was slower, later at night, and we weren't spending tons of money (what a server would consider a lame table because the bill isn't really high), our service was just "okay."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off the beaten path, but worth itSTLfoodieDined on 11/10/2014This restaurant isnt in the heart of one of STL entertainment areas. It is on the very edge of one. However, it is very much worth a try. The cocktails were perfect, and the menu was great. The only thing really lacking was the wine list. I found it a bit limited, especially on the higher-end type of bottles. However the cocktail creations offer a fitting substitute. The food was good, and waitstaff was attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite restaurantBack2LouDined on 11/4/2014Fresh, gourmet, artful presentation, good sized portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Far exceeded expectationsGAry1392VIPDined on 10/31/2014Creativity,presentation and taste were all outstanding. On a level with the best restaurants in STL without being pretentious or unaffordable.From creative seasonal cocktails (bacon/bourbon), complimentary freshly baked bread(no extra charge) to fresh seafood and vegetarian selections, we had a truly winning meal! They even customized some dishes to honor taste requests!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!SammyDined on 10/31/2014Great food, beautiful surroundings; what a find. We'll be telling everyone we know to check out this fabulous gem!Special Features:
- ONE of the best in ST LouisKerenVIPDined on 10/30/2014Franco is one of our favorite restaurants in St. Louis. Free parking is a plus, but we go for outstanding food. Lamb shanks, trout, starters all outstanding. Great servers too.Special Features:
- Best of the BestChaseHueyDined on 10/29/2014A st louis classic, the owner is fantastic and takes a hands on approach which really shines through.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyable experiencephotodiverDined on 10/22/2014While the area is a little off-putting, once you see the Franco's lighted sign and walk up the steps, things improve to a whole new level. The decor is very pleasant and the host and waitress's were friendly and thoughtful. The food selections are varied and innovating. What I had was very good, the only problem I ran into was that there were so many other items I would like to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jti2uDined on 10/10/2014Greeted well, seated in a desirable place, attended to immediately - wine list expansive - the pork stew was a great starter, as was the onion soup for me. The trout dish was outstanding with the many accompanying ingredients - the lamb shank entrée was also great. waiter was friendly and attentive. A can't miss place if you love great food.Special Features:
- WonderfulPixieDined on 10/10/2014We have NEVER had bad service or food. I continue to go there for the different variety of food. Never any disappointments!Special Features:
- Another great meal!Foodie314Dined on 10/8/2014Very good experience! Better than my first visit. The chef that evening did a great job. My favorite dish is the Scallops. They were cooked to perfection. You will not be let down. Service was great and the atmosphere was nice. Very clean environment.Special Features:
- DougFoodRantsDined on 10/3/2014A bit overpriced for the quality of food. The Cesar salad, bread, french onion soup and fries that came with the steak dish were good. The ribeye steak was maybe a 1/2" thick; for $28 I'd expect something thicker. The char flavor or the steak was OK, but overall it was pretty basic. Interior of the building was nice. I'm not sure I would return given this experience.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/30/2014food was delicious but portions were small for the price. service was great.Special Features:
- Window seatDashtodineDined on 9/19/2014We had the option to sit in regular chairs or up on the window sill with pillows. We obviously chose the latter & were not disappointed. You get to see everything: your fellow patrons laughing, the kitchen staff building the next meal, and the waiting staff navigating the modestly elegant dining area. The atmosphere is calm and warm which makes it the optimal place to bring a first date or even a small group looking to start the night on a high note.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerreviewDined on 9/16/2014We were met with a glass of bubbly and things just got better as the evening continued. Melinda took very good care of us and we enjoyed the Cheese Flight and two delicious dinners: ribeye and tuna. Finally we could not resist chocolate ice cream and champagne sorbet. On to another year of marital bliss :)Special Features:
- What a FindSoulardsusieDined on 9/15/2014I went to Franco because I saw a Groupon for it. I'm always curious about French restaurants though I don't frequent them much. Beautiful menu. Unfortunately I wasn't famished, so I didn't get an entree, only the French Onion soup which was wonderful and a side order of the beets. All delish. The gentleman that greeted us and showed us to our table was a little snooty I thought, but server was very friendly. I will go back, but my husband said once is enough. I want to go back and try an entree. They all looked very interesting and delicious.Special Features:
- DisappointingluvfrenchfoodDined on 9/13/2014We were celebrating a significant occasion and invited friends to join us. Having dined here before and enjoyed it, we hyped up the experience to our friends. From the moment we sat down something felt off. We waited about 10 minutes before the bartender brought over the bottle of champagne we had brought it. After perusing the menu, and learning of the specials, we were told several items were sold out. The restaurant was only about half full and we were seated at 7:30 so that was puzzling. After our appetizers were served, we asked for bread and were presented with a tiny baquette for the 4 of us. The duck salad and French Onion soup were very good but our lamb entree was just ok. Our friend's chicken was not as described.Special Features:
- A favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2014In a group of four adults who regularly dine out, Franco is a favorite. Great space, attentive but non-intrusive service, great overall feeling and strong kitchen.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Had a great quick bite to eat before an event. Waiter was very attentive to our timing issues and all went smoothly. Menu has a good breadth to it and everyone's food was delicious. Real solid experience.
- TRULY YUMMY & UNIQUE DELIGHTEatingmachineDined on 9/11/2014Our recent dining visit was truly a taste delight. The space is wonderful, the menu is unique, the service was first class! The owner "Matt" cruised around visiting the diners soliciting honest feedback re their dining experience. We will continue to FEAST here and HIGHLY RECOMMEND it to all our FOODIE FRIENDS etc. JOB WELL DONE!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the Escargot!arclevelandDined on 9/10/2014The escargot are exceptional... served in a bowl with fresh from the oven bread....what more can you ask for? Confit pork belly---if you love bacon then you have got to try this. The roasted beets with pistachios was different....but different good! My sister loved the mussles. I had the special that night--lamb chops. It was good but not memorable. Tahitian creme brulee is a must! Good wine...I especially like the house chardonnay. Second time I've eaten here....it won't be the last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOT good!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014It did not seem to matter to the only person we saw connected to the restaurant if we were there or not. And, she was sloppy in attire and not at all pleasant .
- Groupon-tinted glasses?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014I worry that this review doesn't actually reflect our true experience, but the title is quite accurate. The last time we came, it was a bustling establishment; the cool window seating was our only option as it was quite busy. This most recent event, there were never less than half a dozen tables open. The food was pretty good; while only being able to understand/pronounce half the items on the menu, I got a good deal. However, I feel like part of what affected our perceptions of the restaurant was the fact that there was a Groupon (they come up quite often on the website). Not only b/c of the prices but b/c of the distance to travel there, we probably won't go again unless there's a Groupon available. Not overwhelming, not terrible.Special Features:
- TerrypuncDined on 9/5/2014Food excellent, as always! Great advice about a wine choice as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014The service was incredible and the food was AMAZING! My wife and I went for our honeymoon and they were so amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great Servicemillerkm87Dined on 8/26/2014We tried Franco for the first time this week. Our server was very friendly and helpful. We try and lot of restaurants and are usually pretty picky but there food was great! We ordered the ribeye and the chicken dish. Definitely worth checking out, we will be back. The menu is a little pricey but well thought out and worth it for a nice dinner or special occasion.Special Features:
- Wonderful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014We had a great meal of escargots in a fabulous sauce, today's fish, and a lovely chicken dish with truffle sauce. The perfect amount of rich!Special Features:
- Good placecaremoVIPDined on 8/19/2014The best onion soup ever! Great Caesar salad . My bf had the scallops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Chose this restaurant off of the internet and thought we would give it a try. We were very pleased with the ambience and service at the restaurant. It was a not a loud restaurant and allowed for my wife and I to sit and enjoy wine & meal and just talk. The food was average, but we are willing to try it again and order different meals. We would recommend this restaurant and will be going back.Special Features:
- Prime Spot for Prime RibOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Franco's has never disappointed when it comes to the prime rib! It is always fresh meat and perfectly seasoned!Special Features:
- Dinner with familyJeffersonDined on 8/2/2014Our family met in St. Louis from a variety of cities, and decided to enjoy dinner at Franco on 2nd August, this our first time. The menu was exceptional, fresh and enticing- precisely what we looked for in an comfortable French restaurant where the evening was focused on service and quality of food, not pretense. Our waiter immediately understood my queue and carefully, with great patience undetected, explained the unique menu to my younger guests who are as yet unfamiliar with such an experience and menu. For this, I was grateful as three of the four late-twenty-somethings explored the menu and enjoyed oysters, Foie gras, escargot & Marseille seafood stew. Today, one week later, my son still speaks of the meal. Merci.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood StewYumTumDined on 8/2/2014The seafood stew was wonderful; full of seafood including octopus and lobster and the broth was tasty. For pork lovers, my husband enjoyed the pork entry with four types of preparations. The appetizer cheese beignets were doughy without evidence of cheese and would be better as a dessert. The decor was sophisticated, yet casual. Jeans or dress clothes seemed appropriate. Entree priced moderate for fine dining, around $25 -$30 each. I recommend the restaurant.Special Features:
- Dinner in SoulardWeekendsinstlDined on 8/2/2014This sleek restaurant hides in one of the ubiquitous old red brick buildings across the street from historic Soulard Market. We enjoyed the grilled scallop appetizer, which was served with haricots verts and grilled shallots, a tasty beginning to dinner. The rib-eye steak, which came with a vegetable and a house specialty, pommes frites, was grilled to perfection. The French onion soup was excellent. The salmon and pastrami salad was quite good, however there was no pastrami in it. It did have plenty of salmon and beet chunks and was nicely presented. The menu is interesting, food delicious, presentation done well. The staff was friendly and efficient. We look forward to another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 804 reviews are from the Franco reviews archive.
- so-sozebra910Dined on 7/25/2014The ambiance was wonderful. The service was pretty good. The food had a lot to be desired. My trout was overcooked and beans were way too heavy. My husband's chicken was very dry.Special Features:
- Francobltfoodie1Dined on 7/23/2014The seafood stew was excellent! Good wine list, and interesting appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/21/2014Franco had a limited menu, but excellent food. Best French onion soup and unusual appetizers. Food was well prepared and nicely presented. Servers were knowledgeable and pleasant. An overall pleasant experience for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem at Farmers Market in St LouisBrianBDined on 7/19/2014The menu at Franco is inventive with good selections across the board. In how many places do you find skate? Wine list was compact 25 reds and about the same number of whites but the selection was excellent. Price range should fit most everyone's budget and there were about 10 good wines by the glass. Decor is modern with plenty of room between tables. Fairly large bar area with seating to eat. Service was very attentive and excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great space!LilaDined on 7/17/2014I love the building although it sometimes is noise-challenged. Food very good. Wait staff lagging a bit, maybe need more.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014Our dining experience was very disappointing. Our waiter was very inattentive and unhelpful. We left after an appetizer and one drink. The restaurant was not busy and had enough wait staff to serve the customers. Our waiter did not engage us or serve us well.
- Wonderful as alwaysBZ64Dined on 7/17/2014Franco is our go-to place when we want to have a nice dinner, celebrate an occasion or have an evening out with friends. The food is always beautifully prepared and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.