1535 South Eighth
St. Louis, MO 63104Neighborhood:
Soulard / Benton Park
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.eatatfranco.com/
- Phone: 314-436-2500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Christopher Williams
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Franco is happy to work with any guest to create a menu specific to their needs while providing interesting and exciting new catering options, with a French influence.
- Entertainment: Franco lets the good times roll every Wednesday Night in the bar. Local musicians perform an array of styles, but the emphasis is always on eclectic and entertaining tunes with good taste.
- Cross Street: Carroll Street
- Public Transit: Metrolink at Busch Stadium is only a 10 min walk north from us. This makes us an ideal place to eat real food before or after the game.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a 125 space lot directly across the street. During the day the lot is metered, but after 5:30 parking is free.
A word from Franco
Franco offers classic, rustic French cuisine. We utilize only the best and freshest ingredients and support our local farmers as much as possible. Located in historic Soulard we are 20 feet away from the Soulard Farmers Market, the oldest market west of the Mississippi. Everyday our chef walks the market and changes the menu to incorporate the inspirational seasonal bounty he finds. Some of our favorites are Braised Lamb Shank, Steak Frites and Steamed Mussels. At lunch, don't miss the Coq au Vin. Franco opened in late 2006 and received the honor of being named St. Louis Best New Restaurant by Sauce Magazine, The Riverfront Times, Alive Magazine and St. Louis Magazine. The interior of the restaurant received an AIA design award. It is beautiful and elegant while staying approachable and inviting. Franco has several different seating options with a private dining room, bar, patio and private event space. We hope to see you soon for lunch our dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Franco reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (73)special occasion (66)romantic (51)neighborhood gem (50)notable wine list (23)good for groups (19)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (4)hot spot (3)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Excellent RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014The service was incredible and the food was AMAZING! My wife and I went for our honeymoon and they were so amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great Servicemillerkm87Dined on 8/26/2014We tried Franco for the first time this week. Our server was very friendly and helpful. We try and lot of restaurants and are usually pretty picky but there food was great! We ordered the ribeye and the chicken dish. Definitely worth checking out, we will be back. The menu is a little pricey but well thought out and worth it for a nice dinner or special occasion.Special Features:
- Wonderful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014We had a great meal of escargots in a fabulous sauce, today's fish, and a lovely chicken dish with truffle sauce. The perfect amount of rich!Special Features:
- Good placecaremoVIPDined on 8/19/2014The best onion soup ever! Great Caesar salad . My bf had the scallops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Chose this restaurant off of the internet and thought we would give it a try. We were very pleased with the ambience and service at the restaurant. It was a not a loud restaurant and allowed for my wife and I to sit and enjoy wine & meal and just talk. The food was average, but we are willing to try it again and order different meals. We would recommend this restaurant and will be going back.Special Features:
- Prime Spot for Prime RibOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Franco's has never disappointed when it comes to the prime rib! It is always fresh meat and perfectly seasoned!Special Features:
- Dinner with familyJeffersonDined on 8/2/2014Our family met in St. Louis from a variety of cities, and decided to enjoy dinner at Franco on 2nd August, this our first time. The menu was exceptional, fresh and enticing- precisely what we looked for in an comfortable French restaurant where the evening was focused on service and quality of food, not pretense. Our waiter immediately understood my queue and carefully, with great patience undetected, explained the unique menu to my younger guests who are as yet unfamiliar with such an experience and menu. For this, I was grateful as three of the four late-twenty-somethings explored the menu and enjoyed oysters, Foie gras, escargot & Marseille seafood stew. Today, one week later, my son still speaks of the meal. Merci.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood StewYumTumDined on 8/2/2014The seafood stew was wonderful; full of seafood including octopus and lobster and the broth was tasty. For pork lovers, my husband enjoyed the pork entry with four types of preparations. The appetizer cheese beignets were doughy without evidence of cheese and would be better as a dessert. The decor was sophisticated, yet casual. Jeans or dress clothes seemed appropriate. Entree priced moderate for fine dining, around $25 -$30 each. I recommend the restaurant.Special Features:
- Dinner in SoulardWeekendsinstlDined on 8/2/2014This sleek restaurant hides in one of the ubiquitous old red brick buildings across the street from historic Soulard Market. We enjoyed the grilled scallop appetizer, which was served with haricots verts and grilled shallots, a tasty beginning to dinner. The rib-eye steak, which came with a vegetable and a house specialty, pommes frites, was grilled to perfection. The French onion soup was excellent. The salmon and pastrami salad was quite good, however there was no pastrami in it. It did have plenty of salmon and beet chunks and was nicely presented. The menu is interesting, food delicious, presentation done well. The staff was friendly and efficient. We look forward to another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so-sozebra910Dined on 7/25/2014The ambiance was wonderful. The service was pretty good. The food had a lot to be desired. My trout was overcooked and beans were way too heavy. My husband's chicken was very dry.Special Features:
- Francobltfoodie1Dined on 7/23/2014The seafood stew was excellent! Good wine list, and interesting appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/21/2014Franco had a limited menu, but excellent food. Best French onion soup and unusual appetizers. Food was well prepared and nicely presented. Servers were knowledgeable and pleasant. An overall pleasant experience for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem at Farmers Market in St LouisBrianBDined on 7/19/2014The menu at Franco is inventive with good selections across the board. In how many places do you find skate? Wine list was compact 25 reds and about the same number of whites but the selection was excellent. Price range should fit most everyone's budget and there were about 10 good wines by the glass. Decor is modern with plenty of room between tables. Fairly large bar area with seating to eat. Service was very attentive and excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great space!LilaDined on 7/17/2014I love the building although it sometimes is noise-challenged. Food very good. Wait staff lagging a bit, maybe need more.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014Our dining experience was very disappointing. Our waiter was very inattentive and unhelpful. We left after an appetizer and one drink. The restaurant was not busy and had enough wait staff to serve the customers. Our waiter did not engage us or serve us well.
- Wonderful as alwaysBZ64Dined on 7/17/2014Franco is our go-to place when we want to have a nice dinner, celebrate an occasion or have an evening out with friends. The food is always beautifully prepared and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Fish Stew!STLnewbeeDined on 7/12/2014This was a very nice restaurant. Parking was easy; Atmosphere friendly. It is a large open space with high ceilings so a little noisy. I had the rib eye which done to perfection, but if you are interested in something more interesting, have the fish stew as my husband did. Superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingZachDined on 7/12/2014The food here was okay, but uninspiring on almost all levels. Price to quality ration was awful. There lacked any kind of imagination, and not even garnish to spruce up the very brown trotter or even a dab of creme on the tomato based soup for contrasting color. Presentation just lacked completely. The dishes didn't match the wonderful interior and swanky feel. Food was mostly over-salted and lacking in acid. Service was non-existent. Our desert menus were simply plopped down on our table without any explanation or even asking us if we had questions. I couldn't tell you who the manager was, because they weren't around. Too bad. Never once did we feel special or appreciated for being customers. Hopefully it was an off night.Special Features:
- Visiting from New ZealandKiwi4stlouisDined on 7/10/2014Coming from a lamb country your shank was fantastic. Loved the use of ozark and missouri fare. Good to see. Nice interesting setting with light decor. I don't drink so can't comment in wine or beer list but good to see regional and Canadian beers. Food was fantastic with interesting combination. If you were in Auckland it would be a regular spot for us. Great building and glad soulard continues to grow and suprise. Came with my parent who live in Clayton. I saw the menu and that is what brought us down. Best of luck. See you next year when i am back visiting. Reminded me of the engine room restaurant in northcote Auckland. CheersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SplendidDinerDined on 6/28/2014Every dish was flavored with perfection. I had three grilled shrimp. You can choose the quantity and I like my starter to be a taste and not something to fill me up before my entree. I ordered the rib eye steak and it was nicely seasoned and tender. The fire roasted beets were sensational and I ended up taking some home and they were good the next day. The apple tart tatin was good but I like my apple slices a little thinner. Our waiter was courteous and attentive in a subtle way. It had been a while since I dined there and I forgot how truly good the food is and our party of four all agreed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cuisineHunting4foodDined on 6/27/2014My wife and I like to find unique, non-chain resturaunts, and Franco was a find! We loved the ambience, and the chicken roulade and grilled beets were exquisite! This is definitely going on our list of favorites!!Special Features:
- Atmosphere Makes Franco SpecialChurlsVIPDined on 6/24/2014We especially enjoyed sitting at a window table where we sit up high and can view the entire room. Was very comfortable. Franco's food, especially the small plates, was very good, except the skeet fish was just OK. Ordered a glass of Chardonnay and a local beer and enjoyed both. The chocolate cake for dessert was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but service lackingAppertizerersDined on 6/21/2014We had a nice light meal with my partner and I sharing appetizers and a signature drinks. We ordered fried brie which was good but could have used a small amount of perhaps sea salt to contrast the sweetness of the delicious dipping sauce. That portion of our order came fairly quickly. Then we ordered the cheese plate and pomme frites. These seemed to take too long to make it to our table. Also, the cheese plate was provided without crackers so we had to ask for bread. However, both appetizers were delicious and the bread was WONDERFUL!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/21/2014Excellent overall experience. Grilled trout not as wonderful as expected, otherwise the service and atmosphere are perfect...especially pleased that noise level was quite low, while the dining room was full - that almost never happens anymore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeekDined on 6/21/2014The emphasis at Franco is clearly on the food--which is always top notch! But the wine, the service and the classy setting (in an old baby-carriage factory stripped to its rugged architectural core) all add to the richness of the experience.Special Features:
- First time hereMitzVIPDined on 6/20/2014We arrived early and decided to wait in the bar. The bartender, Jason, was extremely knowledgable about Franco's menu and answered our many questions. He made a great Margarita too! Once we moved to a table the service was fine but not outstanding. Our food was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Franco - SoularddsomerDined on 6/18/2014I like the Soulard neighborhood, and Franco's offers a little more upscale dining experience for those who travel to this unique St. Louis area. I had the potato crusted chicken roulade and really enjoyed the meal. I recommend Franco's if you are looking for a new spot in Soulard.
- Food A+, Service CHirschwritesVIPDined on 6/14/2014Great food, but indifferent service. Brie beignet was good opening to share. Then I had ribeye … big enough to take home some for lunch and great frites. Others had mushroom pot au feu and sous vide skate wing. All good. Wines are pricey. Tart ratine was only okay. But waiter was clearly indifferent, lacked any kind of energy.Special Features:
- best french onion soup!caremoVIPDined on 6/12/2014Franco has the best french onion soup ever!!! I would come in just for that. The steak was just ok that is why I only rated restaurant "Good". The rest of the food should be just as superb as the french onion soup for how expensive the restaurant was. We could never find the waiter and it wasn't busy as it was a Thursday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French RestaurantmartinfrommontrealDined on 6/11/2014We have been in that restaurant on a Wednesday night.It was not very busy but the service was excellent and the food really delicious. We had the snails in shell that were perfect with a tasty broth,and I had a mushroom stew with was very light.My husband had a rainbow trout that was pretty much enjoyed too.As a dessert,the Tatin tart would have been better if warmer and with a little more caramel sauce to our taste but nevertheless ,we ate all of it!Special Features:
- One of best in St LouisOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/9/2014I'm a foodie that travels for business. I'm always looking for excellent restaurants wherever I travel to. I've been to Franco almost everytime I am in St. Louis and have never been disappointed. The last dish I had was a fish special for the night. I didn't write it down but the important point is that the first bite I had literally exploded with flavor in my mouth. It was delicious. If you're in St. Louis give Franco a try, you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- One of Soulard's bestKerenVIPDined on 6/7/2014We love going to Franco. This is our favorite place in Soulard. Both food and drinks are always great. One of the house best entrees is the trout. Had pig trotter stuffed! Just had to try this and enjoyed, though very fatty as one might expect. Have good selections of single malt whiskeys. Salads are all fine. You always will find a special faux gras which changes daily. Onion soup another favorite and they have a special soup daily. I always love the lamb shanks though I did not have this trip.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerJimmyMackDined on 6/3/2014Franco is one of our go-to occasion spots. The service is always on the money and we appreciate the informality(no tuxes or uniforms here!) The menu is done with imagination and always includes local herbs and produce, and some rarely seen seafood (char, skate). I LOVE that I can get whole anchovy fillets on my Caesar! This visit was an early weeknight, so the population was sparse. As a result, the noise level was, well, non-existent. This can change radically on weekend nights, though. Choose your preference!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing french onion soup!GoodfoodmattersDined on 6/2/2014We enjoyed the french onion soup the most. The chicken entree was so-so. Did not anticipate that it would come out in little circles. Also, the artichokes in the entree were tough and inedible. Sad. Will order the lamb shank next time, always good. Also, we were there on a Monday night, very empty space. While I love private dining, my guest from DC was likely not that impressed.Special Features:
- Seafood stewSeafoodgalDined on 5/31/2014Fantastic seafood stew in saffron broth. Wonderful salad with fresh greens. Very nice skate. And great ice cream for dessertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeGoodEatsDined on 5/27/2014The food was amazing. I highly recommend the scallop tartar, smoked octopus, lamb, potato cake, chicken roulade, lamb, and some delicious frozen strawberry desert with pistachio macaroons.Special Features:
- Off NightstlhillsdinerDined on 5/24/2014Although Franco is one of our favorites for a relaxing and unpretentious dinner, our May 24, 2014 experience was disappointing. The pate, although appropriately light for this first weekend of summer, was relatively tasteless and uninspiring. My mussels came unexpectedly served with a thin, tomato-based sauce that did not match the rich, creamier sauce of previous experiences, and my wife's chicken was dry. Although the staff was attentive and personable, the service was quite slow even though the restaurant was not particularly crowded. We've chalked this dinner up to "an off night" on a holiday weekend. We'll return because we know Franco can do far better and hope the staff will.Special Features:
- Wonderful mealepicureanDined on 5/24/2014My family and I love Franco. The menu is creative and inspired; the service impeccable. We enjoy cooking at home together, and so a restaurant has to be exceptional for us to book a night out. For three years we've gone to Franco for special occasion dinners, and although the menu changes over time the experience has always been memorable. And making reservations online makes it so easy to organize. Thanks Franco!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BistroSOZ1Dined on 5/23/2014We have always enjoyed Franco's and the other evening was no exception. There cannot be too many bistros in one city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family Visitdw4atjcmoDined on 5/21/2014We were in St. Louis celebrating my daughters high school graduation with my in-laws from Florida. My daughter made the selection as a franco-phile. Reservations were easy, finding Franco was easy, Tommy, our waiter was fantastic! The His recommendations for appetizers and desert were awesome! Service was impeccable, drink glasses always half full or better, dishes cleaned up by anyone walking by. First time visit but sure to be on our list of places to return to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.