Franciscan Crab Restaurant
Pier 43 1/2
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Franciscan Crab Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.franciscancrabrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4153627733
- Hours of Operation:
Daily 11:30 am - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: J.C. Becerra
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-private dining with seating from 28 - 58 people. Banquet menus available.
- Private Party Contact: Vinny Kim (415) 362-7733
A word from Franciscan Crab Restaurant
"Hands down the best food you'll find on San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf" proclaimed Sunset Magazine. An extensive renovation has revitalized the Franciscan Crab Restaurant, a Fisherman's Wharf institution since 1957. White tiled walls, beautiful marble bar and twenty foot windows overlook the bay and Alcatraz. Terraced dining affords views from every table: hand blown glass shades and chandeliers dazzle, black and white photos of celebrity patrons adorn the stairs and walls.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Franciscan Crab Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Fisherman's Wharf ›
Franciscan Crab Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
204 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (186)special occasion (90)good for groups (68)romantic (60)fit for foodies (42)great for lunch (40)kid-friendly (36)great for brunch (27)hot spot (24)neighborhood gem (19)great for outdoor dining (14)notable wine list (14)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (2)Show More
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014We had a great view of the SF Bay (everyone does), awesome food and a personable waiter. The speed of service was like nothing we've seen - while the waiter was taking our appetizer order, our drinks were coming to our table (impressive electronic service system)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, poor serviceChristopheDDined on 8/27/2014Food was very good, lot's of delicious fish choices on the menu, but we were unlucky with the kitchen service. Our entree arrived 3 minutes after our starter... We asked the waiter to take it back to the kitchen and bring us a warm dish once our appetizer was finished. They however didn't prepare a new one but just put it on the hot plate... So we again complained and finally they made a new fresh dish. All this complaining is just such a waist of time. The kitchen could have figured out that a dish that stands on the hot plate for 10 minutes is ruined...I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty seafood/be ready to spendRangerBobIsHereDined on 8/21/2014We ordered the Sea Bass with Thai broth - this was exceptional. The shrimp cocktail was good but you need to ask for extra cocktail sauce. Calimari was GREAT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth breaking out of prison forHHYumYumDined on 8/19/2014after spending time at the Rock this is where I would want to have my first mealSpecial Features:
- Good Choices of FoodMainiacDined on 8/17/2014We mixed different tapa's with salad and it was filling and tasty. Wine list is reasonable priced.Special Features:
- Great view and food.travelingmommaDined on 8/16/2014Had a wide variety of food at our table of four and each thought their dinner exceptional.Special Features:
- Nice view! Get a window seat!JohnDined on 8/13/2014Small portions. A bit pricey. Food was good though. Great view. TouristySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch!RMSracerDined on 8/12/2014As usual, dining at The Franciscan was excellent. One of our favorite places in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014Great food. Awesome experience!!! The views were incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Servertwins08Dined on 8/9/2014My husband and I brought our twin girls to the restaurant for family night and our server and staff were great with them:) they made us feel very welcomed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tourist SeasonpmcrickDined on 8/9/2014Foolishly chose to go to the Franciscan on a Sat. night during tourist season. But my Open Table reservation was honored within 15 min. Although the restaurant was packed, our server, Bianca, was pleasant and had a sense of humor about the chaos. As always, the view was spectacular. Our meal was delivered in a timely manner with no loss of quality. A good experience, all around. Plus, the crowd was entertaining!Special Features:
- Cool seafood experienceSonyDined on 8/8/2014You can't beat the view at this place! The food didn't seem all that special, was the same as any seafood house but the view makes it worth while. The restaurant is huge, and it wasn't too crowded compared to other similar places near by that has gross fishy smells. This fit the bill for our crab night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/8/2014LOVED the food it was outstanding but the service was a little slow. The waiter only came to our table 3 times to take our drink order, our food order, and to give us the check. I couldnt get a refill on my drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerwasokayDined on 8/8/2014The location, view and venue is nice to take out of town family and friends to. We had difficulty getting butter and lemon for our seafood however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great view!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/8/2014I had a Crab and Shrimp Louis Salad. Everything was well prepared, service was great, and we enjoyed the views.Special Features:
- an old favoriteseafooderDined on 8/8/2014when we go to San Francisco we always make it a point to go to the Franciscan. I was not as thrilled this time because it was loud and stuffy in there. The food was great as usual but the two of us having a couple of $13 drinks sent the bill well over $200. A bit stiff for my wife and daughter and I to appreciate, should of had water.Special Features:
- view of bayIrisVIPDined on 8/6/2014We stopped in for crab, mussels and clams- all delicious. The view of Alcatraz is amazing.Special Features:
- Excellent ServiceFoodlatinloverVIPDined on 8/6/2014This was my first time at Francisco's! It did NOT DISAPPOINT!! We ordered the crab for 2 and this was the best crab we had ever eaten! I will definitely come back to eat here. Service was excellent too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite Excellence !!!!!!!!!!!!!!ServiceTravelerDined on 8/5/2014My wife and I were in San Francisco for a week. With the help of Open Table we made reservations and ate at the Franciscan on four different days - one lunch and three dinners. The food was spectacular, the service was spectacular and the view of the bay is spectacular. My wife had four different meals each time and loved them all. I had the crab enchiladas and loved them so much that I ate them for all four meals. I love crab and I love enchiladas but I can't get crab enchiladas in Texas. I worked my way through college as a waiter, so I am very hard to please as a customer. After four visits, I am very happy to say that the staff at the Franciscan are very well trained. We had four different waiters. Each was superb! Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ask for hodoriyummyfoodieVIPDined on 8/5/2014the server hodori/Anthony really makes the experience. ask for the table facing the waters. you get a clear view of alcatrz. forget boudin across the street. this is a better ambience and value. they also have a restaurant on 1st floor for quick take outs. this is our new go-to at the fisherman's wharfSpecial Features:
- Crab- I ain't crabbing!MarindocVIPDined on 8/3/2014You want crab? This is the place to go. If you can secure a table in back of restaurant energetic noise level is moderate. Views are great for window side tables- usually kept for those who make reservations. Libations are varied, bit pricey but generally very good. Service was quite attentive, sourdough bread great. Salads are ample and Pt. Reyes chopped is a standout, Caesar is good but where are the filets of anchovies? Roast crab ($36pp) is the big seller, not as garlicky as in Thanh Long, R & G- a bit messy but worth it! Crab enchiladas are to die for, overfilled with crabmeat and a great cioppino like sauce, order two and have one to take home. Mussels are great also. Save room for their frozen custard, with side of Valharona!Special Features:
- Love crab Alfredo, bread, custard?HeidiDined on 8/3/2014Always love going there during the week for food, views, service and free parking. But it was a mistake to go on the weekend in the summertime as the Fisherman's Wharf was too crowded and noisy and Fisherman's Wharf was a madhouse! Could not even get into the lot to park!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kind of disappontingluv2travelDined on 8/2/2014I learned an expensive lesson...I don't like Dungeness Crab. The crab chowder was just OK. I guess I'm used to Alaskan King Crab in my crab chowder, which I guess is sweeter. The clam chowder my husband ordered was much better. There is very little meat in Dungeness crabs...I was starving after I picked out the scraps of meat in my half order. Even if I had ordered a full order, I think I would have been starving. Too much work for so little reward. Our waiter kind of annoyed me because he didn't seem like he was listening when he was taking our order. He seemed preoccupied with something else (or some other table) whenever he came by.Special Features:
- Very, very nice ......MrsWalkerDined on 8/2/2014I took my husband here for his birthday. It was a very nice and very clean restaurant. The view was great, the food choices were amazing. The food was good and reasonably priced. Our waitress was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yumlpw1Dined on 7/31/2014Everything we ate was delicious! The location and view was breathtaking. The service was friendly and well timed between course.Special Features:
- Great View, otherwise just okChicagoloverDined on 7/30/2014Went there with high expectations, the view was fantastic, the look of the restaurant was great, the service was pretty good, not outstanding, just pretty good. The lacking area for us was the food. Just wasn't great. Honestly, I've had better at the Red Lobster. For the price, it just wasn't worth it. If you want great ambience, and a great view, go here. If it's the food and prices you're more interested in, try elsewhere......seriously.Special Features:
- Bad service from start to finishMamaVIPDined on 7/29/2014The waiter and the rest of the staff were aweful. Everything took forever. If we asked for something we probably had to ask twice. The food was okay. The only thing this restaurant had going for it was the view. Very disappointing!Special Features:
- Great food! Awesome view!CanadnwenDined on 7/29/2014The food was fantastic, we got crab if course! The view was amazing! Best view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food marginal at bestmcarrollDined on 7/28/2014Tourist trap, service ok, food sucks but has great views. Would not go back or recommend to anyone!Special Features:
- Not expecting to see us againDirtyDined on 7/28/2014We were so disappointed in Franciscan Crab Restaurant . Had it not been my son's birthday and him loving crabs, we would have left. It is obvious that the restaurant is just there for tourists (which we were) and not trying to wow its customers in order to have them return. The carpeted floor was dirty and a lemon wedge from who knows when was under our table when we arrived. After being seated, the manager handed us our menus, we had to return a menu due to food being all over the front cover. The manager hadn't even noticed. My silverware had wet paper stuck to the handle, we returned that as well. The salad (small and costly) had old brown edged lettuce. Our most expensive meal in SF and our least enjoyable.Special Features:
- The worst service ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014Visited with friends for a late lunch on 7/26. The service was bad to begin with; we waited a long time for the server and then had trouble keeping her attention while ordering or finding her later. Two of us were very happy with our food. However, the friend who ordered chicken fettuccine first had to convince the waitress by showing her three times that she did not want the fettuccine Alfredo. Then, when the item came she couldn't eat it because it smelled and tasted of fish. We had asked for separate checks, but when it all came together we once again couldn't find the waitress to straighten it out, the manager couldn't let us pay without her, we asked if she was new, he didn't know because he was new, on and on. Huge waste of time!Special Features:
- Go for the namesake!KMacVIPDined on 7/25/2014Great seafood spot on Fisherman's Wharf. We enjoyed the decor and view of the harbor. I started with raw oysters and crab chowder. Oysters were fresh and plump. Chowder was tasty and full of crabmeat. My wife had the cioppino and I went with the signature dish of the garlic roasted crab. Cioppino was delicous -- the only drawback was that it didn't come with a spoon to get all the delicious broth. The garlic roasted Dungeness crab was perfectly cooked. It was worth the work getting the tasty morsels out of the shell.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kitchen was slowOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014We had a party of 8. 4 of us got our food more than 15 minutes before the other 4. In addition, the price they charge for soft drink is a bit over the top.Special Features:
- Great View….but that's it!BurntCRABDined on 7/25/2014Had dinner at Franciscan for our anniversary and was extremely disappointed. We ordered the full crab skillet and it was horrible. They cooked the crab on a skillet and it was burnt. I have never had a worse crab meal then here. I don't know why they cook the crab on a skillet but it literally was too hot to grab when they served it and by the time we could grab it and crack it the crab was overdone and burnt. The service was good….the guy needs to get out of Franciscan and go downtown where he can make some money. The one thing that was great was the view. I would simply get a table order wine and cheese and call it good. Good luck if you go.
- Great View and FoodFirstTimeinChicagoDined on 7/25/2014My first time back to this restaurant many years later. The proscitto was amazing. The basa was also fantastic!Special Features:
- Crab Alfredo to die for!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/23/2014Was absolutely the best crab Alfredo i have eaten anywhere!Special Features:
- 40th wedding anniversaryTankDined on 7/20/2014They made my Anniversary dinner memorable and specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty Good ExperienceGeorgiee33Dined on 7/19/2014Service: pretty good for being very very busy (of course, it's fisherman’s wharf), it took a little while for the waiter to show up but he was friendly/helpful with any questions. The corkage fee was $10 per bottle so we brought our own, it did take a while for the sommelier showed up to open the bottles, thank goodness that two bottles were screw top, I would have had cranky people without open bottle of wine. The food: Some were better than others. The crab chowder; fantastic, the clam chowder; good. The crab cakes; tasty. The crab salad looked good, which my wife enjoyed. The shrimp was good, the mussels were good till I ate one that tasted like the bottom of the sea which turned me off. I would go back again to try other menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excited and let downGarlynDined on 7/19/2014We went in a family of 5 had 2 different waiters would of preferred just the 2nd waiter the first was a waste he didn't bring any of the appetizers, and a bottle of wine, that we had ordered or drinks, and when asked several times he blamed it on other servers, needless to say we never saw the bottle of wine and the appetizer came at the end of the meal, really? He went and told his manager and then told us that we got him in trouble, really? Do your job or get out of the customer service industry field. Because of this waiter I would not return to this restrauant again or refer anyone to it.Special Features:
- Great birthday spotMichellacoDined on 7/18/2014Absolutely amazing from beginning to end. Arrived 10 minutes early and was seated 5 min before reservation. We greater by our waiter quickly, our appitizers arrived 5 minutes later. Dinner 10 minutes. Loved the view absolutely amazing feels like your on a cruise ship! Great place to spend birthdaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.