Franciscan Crab Restaurant
Pier 43 1/2
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Franciscan Crab Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.franciscancrabrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4153627733x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily 11:30 am - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: J.C. Becerra
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-private dining with seating from 28 - 58 people. Banquet menus available.
- Private Party Contact: Jose Cuellar (415) 362-7733x
A word from Franciscan Crab Restaurant
"Hands down the best food you'll find on San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf" proclaimed Sunset Magazine. An extensive renovation has revitalized the Franciscan Crab Restaurant, a Fisherman's Wharf institution since 1957. White tiled walls, beautiful marble bar and twenty foot windows overlook the bay and Alcatraz. Terraced dining affords views from every table: hand blown glass shades and chandeliers dazzle, black and white photos of celebrity patrons adorn the stairs and walls.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Franciscan Crab Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Fisherman's Wharf ›
Franciscan Crab Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
210 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (187)special occasion (84)good for groups (67)romantic (57)fit for foodies (52)great for lunch (39)kid-friendly (30)hot spot (29)neighborhood gem (19)great for brunch (18)notable wine list (16)vibrant bar scene (14)great for outdoor dining (13)late-night find (4)Show More
- Tourist spot exceeds expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/28/2014We were expecting an okay experience, but it turned out fantastic! There are many spots around that seem very similar so we just picked this one randomly. We were happily surprised! Service was prompt and friendly, the food was wonderful, the wine list was acceptable and the view was fantastic! Thanks for a great end to a long day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Dungeness Crab EVER!luvcrabDined on 9/27/2014We had to wait a bit but overall dining experience was wunderful. Dungeness crab is the best with roasted garlic and anchovies. Never had such an easy time getting crab cracked and out. Served on a sizzling hot cast iron skillit. Messy but fantastic taste. It will be a regular place for us to visit when in San Francisco at pier 43 and a half.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightKDTKJDined on 9/27/2014The food was very good, lots of choices. The view is outstanding and the service was "the best" ask for Tai (sp?) as your server and you won't be disappointed. enjoySpecial Features:
- Sheron Los GatosSheronLosGatosDined on 9/26/2014Great fish restaurant, good service, fantastic view of the bay. I had sizzling mussels, prawns and crab, it was delicious. Our waiter Matthew was wonderful but overworked, he had 10 tables to serve. Great evening very good food and lively atmosphere.Special Features:
- One of the best on the WharfUROKDined on 9/26/2014This was our second visit, we were impressed both times! A little noisy, but I chalk it up to the excitement of the great views and food!Special Features:
- Fallen From GraceOztoybearDined on 9/20/2014When visiting San Francisco we've always had a celebratory dinner at this restaurant but it now seems to be solely trading on its name. The food to our table was delivered in l-o-n-g stages and the coffee was tepid at best. What a pity that this once great restaurant has become a tourist trap best to avoid.Special Features:
- Good choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/20/2014We choose this restaurant for the seafood and the view. Requested and received a window seat looking over the bay. We had the skillet shrimp for an appetizer which was tasty. I had the half of crab and my husband had the crab enchilada. We were happy with our choices.Special Features:
- Amazing viewtravelerDined on 9/19/2014Dined here while visiting SF for the weekend. Chose this restaurant based on good reviews, proximity to our hotel in fisherman's wharf and we really wanted seafood. The 3 course tasting menu was very economical ($30) and had some good choices (we had crab legs and crab enchiladas). I was not a huge fan of the chowder (not very creamy). The views of the harbour and Alcatraz were amazing - this is a very special place. The service was great, although very fast. My husband and I enjoyed having a quick meal, but others may have felt rushed especially for a special occasion dinner.Special Features:
- EcellentEarlyDined on 9/19/2014Great view, friendly wait staff, kid friendly and great place to bring family and guests from out of town....great views of AlcatrazSpecial Features:
- Great Seafood! Great Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014This is an awesome place. If you're reading this, you're probably looking for somewhere on the Wharf to eat seafood. Go there. Get the cioppino. Sit there for an hour and enjoy it like we did. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencekarenkDined on 9/19/2014Wanted a San Francisco spot to take my out of town guest. I was perfect. Validated parking across the street. Great view. Friendly staff. Delicious food from the pre-meal bread to the dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You must visit!LynnieDined on 9/17/2014Fabulous food, gorgeous view, attentive wait staff. Always a great place to bring family, friends and work colleagues. Can't wait for our next visit!Special Features:
- Wonderful!martinigirlVIPDined on 9/16/2014We were very afraid that this was going to be too "touristy" of a restaurant but it did not turn out that way at all. Def a supper club type of feel to it. The food was excellent and even though our server also had several large groups of international travelers, he was till pleasant and attentive. We split a ceaser salad, that came with a wonderful homemade dressing and then split the large order of crab. The crab was sweet and the roasted garlic sauce they were cooked with was in no way overpowering. Would def return here the next time we are in San Francisco.Special Features:
- Request for more serversOrbitDined on 9/16/2014There was only one severr who was authorized to take orders in the area we dined, and he was too much tied up when there was a large group taking more than ten minutes to make an order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time and it was fantastic!DallasDinerDined on 9/12/2014The Dungeness Crab w Garlic Butter was incredible. Out server Ben was famtastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeafoodLuv2eatDined on 9/11/2014Great sizzling hot plates of seafood to share! So good we had to do it eat a couple of times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TouristyCrabbyDined on 9/10/2014This place is great if you are just visiting and want a great view. But the food is overpriced and not very good.Special Features:
- Eating here will make you crabbyKabKimDined on 9/6/2014I don't mind spending a lot for a meal if it's decent but the expensive, mediocre a la carte menu will make you feel like you were robbed. The meat in the mussels were the size of peas. The $18 crab cakes were very small and not meaty at all. Come on, it's a crab house! They should be spectacular. Soup is so-so and not worth $10. Shrimp is not shelled. No sides on any shell fish dishes, Throw some greens on the plate. Something! Chef won't blacken the halibut-sticks strictly to menu. I felt like our party of 6 was being rushed. The bill was given before we asked about dessert. No coffee offered. Left the place still hungry and disappointed and ripped off. Only plus was the beautiful view. Too bad the menu and service can't match.Special Features:
- Overpriced, poor service.DkajtezDined on 9/5/2014The server was terrible. Referenced us as 'table 16'. I could hear him swearing non stop at the waiter station. Totally obnoxious. And to make matters worse the food was not good. Very bland calm chowder with only 3 clams in the entire bowl. The crab had a weird flavor. The oysters were good, but small. Not worth the $$$. Over priced for poor service and less than mediocre food.Special Features:
- Great DiningEdwinJDined on 9/5/2014My wife and I, and another couple had dinner here on Friday evening, September 5, 2014. We all live in the New York I City metropolitan area where fine dining is always available. My friends were not initially impressed with the appearance/layout of the restaurant, but when the food came they thoroughly enjoyed their meal. So did my wife and I. Initially my wife did not like the seasoning in her shrimp dinner. We informed our waiter, and the waiter gladly informed her to order a different item on the menu. She ordered a crab dinner, which she thoroughly enjoyed, and she was only charged for the cost of the crab dinner. I would definitely want to come back again the next time I am in the San Francisco Bay Area.Special Features:
- Seafood dinner with a viewMorefoodpleaseVIPDined on 9/4/2014You can see Alcatraz, and the bay while eating Crab Alfredo while watching the sunset!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view!DM11RoxDined on 9/1/2014The view at sunset was fabulous! We enjoyed the dungeness crab so much we came back twice. The garlic sauce was great for dipping. We steamed garlic clams and the skillet mussels were very good appetizers.Special Features:
- so soMskaiDined on 8/31/2014So glad I made a reservation. The place was packed! My friends ordered the crab which they enjoyed. I had the shrimp and mussels. It was sub par. The mussels were so small. I was disappointed. We did like our table by the window with the view of Alcatraz and the Bay. The waiter was a bit full of himself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome ambiance - so so crabCzechipinaDined on 8/31/2014The ambiance cannot be matched. The drinks and appetizers were delicious and well done. We ordered the crab feast, which was fun, but surprisingly dry. The options for sides was disappointing. I would still go again, but perhaps ask for butter on the side and maybe more appetizers up front. We ordered 6. They were totally superior to the sides, which was strange. Overall you cannot beat the view and the vibe to show off our great city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A memorable dining experienceWilltravel2dineDined on 8/30/2014We enjoyed it all. The crab and seafood selection was the best that I have seen in years. The crab legs are generous and meaty.We had a view of the San Francisco bay while dining. What a combination! Great location, great seafood and all on the pier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely view of the BayLovelyDiningDined on 8/30/2014We enjoyed a nice dinner but the view was amazing.Special Features:
- Loved itJackieDined on 8/28/2014We had a great view of the SF Bay (everyone does), awesome food and a personable waiter. The speed of service was like nothing we've seen - while the waiter was taking our appetizer order, our drinks were coming to our table (impressive electronic service system)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, poor serviceChristopheDDined on 8/27/2014Food was very good, lot's of delicious fish choices on the menu, but we were unlucky with the kitchen service. Our entree arrived 3 minutes after our starter... We asked the waiter to take it back to the kitchen and bring us a warm dish once our appetizer was finished. They however didn't prepare a new one but just put it on the hot plate... So we again complained and finally they made a new fresh dish. All this complaining is just such a waist of time. The kitchen could have figured out that a dish that stands on the hot plate for 10 minutes is ruined...I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely place to dine and watchBillMcGrathDined on 8/25/2014We ate here while killing time before a flight to Paris. We originally made reservations for 6 p.m. but wound up nearby around 4 p.m., so we went in. They seated us at a window and we were the only table in our server's section. He was attentive and helpful. We had a bottle of white wine toward the low end of their list and we enjoyed it. We ordered appetizers before our main course. The portions were reasonable and the seafood fresh. I had the halibut in a cioppino-style sauce and it was perfectly done. Overall, we enjoyed our meal very much. It was pricey, but so are most good restaurants. The service could not have been better.Special Features:
- Tasty seafood/be ready to spendRangerBobIsHereDined on 8/21/2014We ordered the Sea Bass with Thai broth - this was exceptional. The shrimp cocktail was good but you need to ask for extra cocktail sauce. Calimari was GREAT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth breaking out of prison forHHYumYumDined on 8/19/2014after spending time at the Rock this is where I would want to have my first mealSpecial Features:
- Good Choices of FoodMainiacDined on 8/17/2014We mixed different tapa's with salad and it was filling and tasty. Wine list is reasonable priced.Special Features:
- Great view and food.travelingmommaDined on 8/16/2014Had a wide variety of food at our table of four and each thought their dinner exceptional.Special Features:
- Nice view! Get a window seat!JohnDined on 8/13/2014Small portions. A bit pricey. Food was good though. Great view. TouristySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch!RMSracerDined on 8/12/2014As usual, dining at The Franciscan was excellent. One of our favorite places in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014Great food. Awesome experience!!! The views were incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Servertwins08Dined on 8/9/2014My husband and I brought our twin girls to the restaurant for family night and our server and staff were great with them:) they made us feel very welcomed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tourist SeasonpmcrickDined on 8/9/2014Foolishly chose to go to the Franciscan on a Sat. night during tourist season. But my Open Table reservation was honored within 15 min. Although the restaurant was packed, our server, Bianca, was pleasant and had a sense of humor about the chaos. As always, the view was spectacular. Our meal was delivered in a timely manner with no loss of quality. A good experience, all around. Plus, the crowd was entertaining!Special Features:
- Cool seafood experienceSonyDined on 8/8/2014You can't beat the view at this place! The food didn't seem all that special, was the same as any seafood house but the view makes it worth while. The restaurant is huge, and it wasn't too crowded compared to other similar places near by that has gross fishy smells. This fit the bill for our crab night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/8/2014LOVED the food it was outstanding but the service was a little slow. The waiter only came to our table 3 times to take our drink order, our food order, and to give us the check. I couldnt get a refill on my drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.