Franciscan Crab Restaurant
Pier 43 1/2
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Franciscan Crab Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.franciscancrabrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4153627733x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily 11:30 am - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: J.C. Becerra
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-private dining with seating from 28 - 58 people. Banquet menus available.
- Private Party Contact: Jose Cuellar (415) 362-7733x
A word from Franciscan Crab Restaurant
"Hands down the best food you'll find on San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf" proclaimed Sunset Magazine. An extensive renovation has revitalized the Franciscan Crab Restaurant, a Fisherman's Wharf institution since 1957. White tiled walls, beautiful marble bar and twenty foot windows overlook the bay and Alcatraz. Terraced dining affords views from every table: hand blown glass shades and chandeliers dazzle, black and white photos of celebrity patrons adorn the stairs and walls.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Franciscan Crab Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Fisherman's Wharf ›
Franciscan Crab Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
210 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (180)special occasion (77)good for groups (62)fit for foodies (54)romantic (52)hot spot (37)great for lunch (36)kid-friendly (32)neighborhood gem (23)great for brunch (16)notable wine list (16)great for outdoor dining (16)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (5)Show More
- CrabsJoyceDined on 10/19/2014Right in the middle of all the action at fishemans wharf!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy2dineDined on 10/18/2014I can never resist the chioppino at the Franciscan and love the buzz of this place on a busy night . When I was there we had the extra of seeing the Sunday night fireworks, they were spectular .pSpecial Features:
- Disappointed.....MilwaukeeFoodieDined on 10/17/2014Just felt like the food was just OK, nothing special. The mussels and shrimp on my entree were very small.. It's a tourist destination.. I would recommend asking around for more local restaurants that cater to earning repeat guests.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/16/2014Awesome food and atmosphere, love to visit every time I'm in San Francisco. Perfect location overlooking the bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit wornCarlosMontoya1VIPDined on 10/16/2014Last here 2 years ago. Service has diminished. Food better than average but could be better.Special Features:
- Great group dinnerRoadsterDined on 10/15/2014I entertained a group of colleagues and everyone was very complimentary. Staff was ver attentive. Food was great. View of Bay was scenic and the location was short walk from Wharf hotels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great crab but first time betterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014We had a great dinner the first time, the crab two too was perfect for the four of us, so we decided to come back again. We sat in the outdoor patio but it was a little chilly and the heater did not work. Much better inside, at least in October. Food was great again but we had to wait a long time. But I'd go back again. Order the crab, really.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014The place was packed, but using Open Table our table was ready within 15 minutes. We celebrated our 33rd anniversary. We were given a window seat and were able to watch the sun go down over Alcatraz and also watch the fireworks over Pier 39. As busy as the restaurant was, the service was great. Crab was good. A different concept roasting instead of the usual.Special Features:
- A good Place to eat on the WharfBurnabyBoyDined on 10/10/2014The food was very good and the staff was friendly. The view of the Bay is spectacular The only negative was that we felt a little on the assembly line dining; In & Out Not surprising for Fleet week but still! However We would come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnercazukDined on 10/10/2014My husband 60th Birthday asked for cake which I was happy to pay for .....got nothing at all very disappointed if they caouldnt do it why not let me know? mad reservation 3 weeks in advance of date!!!!!!Special Features:
- great seafoodpaulajeanVIPDined on 10/7/2014The food was very good, prepared well, but could have been hotter when it arrived at the table. Overall, a good experienceSpecial Features:
- Forgettable mealjfd1515Dined on 10/5/2014The crab chowder was rather bland and the shrimps and mussels not particularly exciting; the noise level was really excessive.Special Features:
- Dinner for 8 people.EatersDined on 10/4/2014It was very busy and bussling, but a good overall feel. Out waitress was nice, but seemed overwhelmed. There was zero rapport building, but that's okay. We had to ask for butter with the crab and their cocktail sauce was horrible, but we had a nice overall dinner. Don't order the salads, though. $13 for a bowl of wilted greens. We had three varieties, but they all seemed as though they had been sitting under a heat lamp. We didn't send them back, though, so our fault.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceLoveFranciscoDined on 10/4/2014Great experience! Great service! Great food! Great views!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TABLE TOO SMALLDisappointedDined on 10/4/2014Due to traffic we were late for our 6:00 pm reservation, I called to let them know . I was told, "no problem". Upon arrival, our table had been given away.Our party of five waited in a crowded entrance.. When seated the table was much too small it was a bar seating. The food couldn't fit on the table . We ordered entree's and the "lotsa crab", the table was overflowing, knives and forks falling off the table, and some in our party getting fairly agitated. The food came and the agitation increased, the steaks were "o.k.", the mash potatoes were cold and dry (no gravy), and the vegetables were bland but ok. Fries were good, crab did not have the garlic sauce, and was not sweet at all. I'm a local and Disappointed for the money spent!
- Great dinnerPabloDined on 10/2/2014It is a must to be restaurant. Crab festival is amazing and Monito is a very good alternative as a drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CPMcDined on 10/2/2014We eat here on a regular basis, and food is always GREAT! I was surprised that this time we were asked to leave as soon as dinner was over because another group was waiting for our table. Tho we did not order dessert, we usually like to sit for an hour and visit with drinks. Thus far they have a great track record with me, so will be back for another try believing this was a one time event.Special Features:
- Tourist spot exceeds expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/28/2014We were expecting an okay experience, but it turned out fantastic! There are many spots around that seem very similar so we just picked this one randomly. We were happily surprised! Service was prompt and friendly, the food was wonderful, the wine list was acceptable and the view was fantastic! Thanks for a great end to a long day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must visit when in San FranciscoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014I recommend making a reservation to avoid long waits on their busy nights. The mojitos are the best I have ever had and will only have on from the Franciscan Crab. The food was amazing and our server, Bianca, was friendly and prompt. I make it a point to go to the Franciscan Crab whenever I am near or in San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Dungeness Crab EVER!luvcrabDined on 9/27/2014We had to wait a bit but overall dining experience was wunderful. Dungeness crab is the best with roasted garlic and anchovies. Never had such an easy time getting crab cracked and out. Served on a sizzling hot cast iron skillit. Messy but fantastic taste. It will be a regular place for us to visit when in San Francisco at pier 43 and a half.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightKDTKJDined on 9/27/2014The food was very good, lots of choices. The view is outstanding and the service was "the best" ask for Tai (sp?) as your server and you won't be disappointed. enjoySpecial Features:
- Sheron Los GatosSheronLosGatosDined on 9/26/2014Great fish restaurant, good service, fantastic view of the bay. I had sizzling mussels, prawns and crab, it was delicious. Our waiter Matthew was wonderful but overworked, he had 10 tables to serve. Great evening very good food and lively atmosphere.Special Features:
- One of the best on the WharfUROKDined on 9/26/2014This was our second visit, we were impressed both times! A little noisy, but I chalk it up to the excitement of the great views and food!Special Features:
- Fallen From GraceOztoybearDined on 9/20/2014When visiting San Francisco we've always had a celebratory dinner at this restaurant but it now seems to be solely trading on its name. The food to our table was delivered in l-o-n-g stages and the coffee was tepid at best. What a pity that this once great restaurant has become a tourist trap best to avoid.Special Features:
- Good choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/20/2014We choose this restaurant for the seafood and the view. Requested and received a window seat looking over the bay. We had the skillet shrimp for an appetizer which was tasty. I had the half of crab and my husband had the crab enchilada. We were happy with our choices.Special Features:
- Amazing viewtravelerDined on 9/19/2014Dined here while visiting SF for the weekend. Chose this restaurant based on good reviews, proximity to our hotel in fisherman's wharf and we really wanted seafood. The 3 course tasting menu was very economical ($30) and had some good choices (we had crab legs and crab enchiladas). I was not a huge fan of the chowder (not very creamy). The views of the harbour and Alcatraz were amazing - this is a very special place. The service was great, although very fast. My husband and I enjoyed having a quick meal, but others may have felt rushed especially for a special occasion dinner.Special Features:
- EcellentEarlyDined on 9/19/2014Great view, friendly wait staff, kid friendly and great place to bring family and guests from out of town....great views of AlcatrazSpecial Features:
- Great Seafood! Great Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014This is an awesome place. If you're reading this, you're probably looking for somewhere on the Wharf to eat seafood. Go there. Get the cioppino. Sit there for an hour and enjoy it like we did. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencekarenkDined on 9/19/2014Wanted a San Francisco spot to take my out of town guest. I was perfect. Validated parking across the street. Great view. Friendly staff. Delicious food from the pre-meal bread to the dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You must visit!LynnieDined on 9/17/2014Fabulous food, gorgeous view, attentive wait staff. Always a great place to bring family, friends and work colleagues. Can't wait for our next visit!Special Features:
- Wonderful!martinigirlVIPDined on 9/16/2014We were very afraid that this was going to be too "touristy" of a restaurant but it did not turn out that way at all. Def a supper club type of feel to it. The food was excellent and even though our server also had several large groups of international travelers, he was till pleasant and attentive. We split a ceaser salad, that came with a wonderful homemade dressing and then split the large order of crab. The crab was sweet and the roasted garlic sauce they were cooked with was in no way overpowering. Would def return here the next time we are in San Francisco.Special Features:
- Request for more serversOrbitDined on 9/16/2014There was only one severr who was authorized to take orders in the area we dined, and he was too much tied up when there was a large group taking more than ten minutes to make an order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time and it was fantastic!DallasDinerDined on 9/12/2014The Dungeness Crab w Garlic Butter was incredible. Out server Ben was famtastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeafoodLuv2eatDined on 9/11/2014Great sizzling hot plates of seafood to share! So good we had to do it eat a couple of times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TouristyCrabbyDined on 9/10/2014This place is great if you are just visiting and want a great view. But the food is overpriced and not very good.Special Features:
- Eating here will make you crabbyKabKimDined on 9/6/2014I don't mind spending a lot for a meal if it's decent but the expensive, mediocre a la carte menu will make you feel like you were robbed. The meat in the mussels were the size of peas. The $18 crab cakes were very small and not meaty at all. Come on, it's a crab house! They should be spectacular. Soup is so-so and not worth $10. Shrimp is not shelled. No sides on any shell fish dishes, Throw some greens on the plate. Something! Chef won't blacken the halibut-sticks strictly to menu. I felt like our party of 6 was being rushed. The bill was given before we asked about dessert. No coffee offered. Left the place still hungry and disappointed and ripped off. Only plus was the beautiful view. Too bad the menu and service can't match.Special Features:
- Overpriced, poor service.DkajtezDined on 9/5/2014The server was terrible. Referenced us as 'table 16'. I could hear him swearing non stop at the waiter station. Totally obnoxious. And to make matters worse the food was not good. Very bland calm chowder with only 3 clams in the entire bowl. The crab had a weird flavor. The oysters were good, but small. Not worth the $$$. Over priced for poor service and less than mediocre food.Special Features:
- Great DiningEdwinJDined on 9/5/2014My wife and I, and another couple had dinner here on Friday evening, September 5, 2014. We all live in the New York I City metropolitan area where fine dining is always available. My friends were not initially impressed with the appearance/layout of the restaurant, but when the food came they thoroughly enjoyed their meal. So did my wife and I. Initially my wife did not like the seasoning in her shrimp dinner. We informed our waiter, and the waiter gladly informed her to order a different item on the menu. She ordered a crab dinner, which she thoroughly enjoyed, and she was only charged for the cost of the crab dinner. I would definitely want to come back again the next time I am in the San Francisco Bay Area.Special Features:
- Seafood dinner with a viewMorefoodpleaseVIPDined on 9/4/2014You can see Alcatraz, and the bay while eating Crab Alfredo while watching the sunset!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view!DM11RoxDined on 9/1/2014The view at sunset was fabulous! We enjoyed the dungeness crab so much we came back twice. The garlic sauce was great for dipping. We steamed garlic clams and the skillet mussels were very good appetizers.Special Features: