Francesca's on Taylor
1400 West Taylor
Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
Little Italy / University Village
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Francesca's on Taylor
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.miafrancesca.com/
- Phone: 3128292828x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Scott Harris; Chef de Cusine, Damaso Espino
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer a range of catering options for both pickup and delivery
- Private Party Facilities:
We can accommodate private parties of up to 130 guests
- Private Party Contact: Katherine Woods 7732813310x21
- Entertainment: We currently offer live Jazz and $5.00 Martini's every Thursday!! Please call for dates and times.
- Special Events: We have 2 private party rooms available to suite your needs
A word from Francesca's on Taylor
Francesca's on Taylor features the zesty, earthy cuisine of Rome and the surrounding areas of Tuscany, Umbria and Lazio. Chicago Magazine notes, "It brings a new kind of abbondanza to an old Italian neighborhood." It is the fourth restaurant opened by Chef Scott Harris, whose philosophy is to encourage the lively art of dining with a contemporary, casually sophisticated trattoria ambiance, good, rustic cooking, friendly service and fair prices. Anne Spiselman of Crain's Chicago Business observes: "A rolled-mesh ceiling, warm woods and geometric light fixtures give the room a rather clubby look, brightened during the day by light coming through the windows facing the street. And, Francesca's on Taylor takes reservations. "No, it does more; it honors reservations. Twice I made reservations, twice I walked into a packed dining room, and twice I was seated within 10 minutes," notes respected Chicago Tribune food critic Phil Vettel who claims this to be his favorite Francesca restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Francesca's on Taylor reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (54)special occasion (41)good for groups (37)romantic (35)fit for foodies (22)great for lunch (22)kid-friendly (15)notable wine list (14)hot spot (5)great for brunch (4)late-night find (4)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Francesca's on Taylor is very freshcdgchgoVIPDined on 8/26/2014I love the ambience and service here! Tables are not crowded together and it is conversation friendly. Vegetarian, vegan, pescatarian, paleo, carnivore alike will be happy! Francesca's is very accommodating to special dietary needs and very willing to work with the customer to please. I recommend the fish, appetizers, salads, individual sized pizzas, the house made sorbets and gelato, the tarts. Special requests are satisfied if they have the ingredients. The bread and olive oil are delicious. The excellent cocktail and beer offerings are reasonably priced, as are all items on the menu. Everything is very fresh and changes with the market. Daily specials for lunch and dinner! Valet and street parking. I highly recommend Francesca's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable & easyMomSaysVIPDined on 8/23/2014Francesca's group has been reliable for years. Roast chicken, nice pastas, calamari, risotto. I like them and they're consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Francescas will never disappointMela526VIPDined on 8/17/2014You will never leave Francescas hungry or disappointed. The food, ambiance is always amazing. I love that the menu changes so that you are able to try different entrees. If not, i would always order the risotto there. I have never had one that i did not like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious calamariNatalieDined on 8/15/2014The calamari sautéed with spinach and tomatoes is absolutely delicious. It's not always on the menu, but if you ask your server they can make it for you (and it's gluten free!).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deterioration in QualityDisappointedDined on 8/11/2014We have been frequent customers of Francescas on Taylor for many years and always impressed with the quality of the food. The pasta dishes and pizza were fine. But the dish presente on the menu as Veal Scallopine was not what any other restaurant calls scallopine, and even more serious, was poor quality. In a restaurant where veal chops of Provini veal were often served (of quality comparable to the best I have had in Paris or Firenze), this was a great disappointment. Since prices have declined in the restaurant a bit, while prices in other restaurants have increased, I imagine that financial pressure produced this compromise of standards. Let's hope I was wrong.Special Features:
- A little rushedPalatineDinerDined on 8/5/2014I am always happy with the food at Francesca's - and I was this time also. My entree was good - but the pasta special my friend ordered was wonderful! I felt a little rushed by our server during the whole meal - we were there about 90 min. The restaurant was full but there were always empty tables so I didn't think we were causing a problem but he clearly wanted us to move quickly through our dinner even though he said "no rush". I understand the trend toward really long dinners but hopefully this is not going to be the new normal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The fishburtDined on 8/5/2014The herbs and seasoning on the fish amplified the taste of the fish itself rather than altering or burying it. It was magnificent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great family weekday lunchnanetteDined on 7/30/2014Polite and attentive staff, best olive oil for dipping bread I've ever tasted, fantastic spinach ravioli special with tomato cream sauce.Special Features:
- Well-priced Italian fareGeneralZee01Dined on 7/25/2014This was my first time here. Party of two. We both had the chicken cavetti. It was delicious! Only down was our busboy asked if we were finished. We both said yes but each had about half a plate left (huge portions!!!) that we had already started talking about having for lunch tomorrow. Without being offered boxes, he took our plates to the back. We assumed he was boxing them for us. It wasn't until we saw him come back from the kitchen a few minutes later without our food that we realized it was thrown away. We were on our way to a show so we didn't want to waste time addressing it. I'll definitely be back...and next time I'll know to ask for a box! Such a shame to waste such delicious food!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014We had a great time and the food was delicious!! The staff was very friendly when we arrived and the service was spot on!!Special Features:
- Ravioli for Angels!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/22/2014I met my friend at Francesca's on Taylor for an early dinner on a Tuesday evening. The restaurant offered valet parking, but there was plenty of street parking. At 4:30, only a few tables were occupied. The atmosphere was quiet and relaxing, which was ideal since my friend and I had a lot of catching up to do. Our server was cordial and patient. As we pored over the menu, he delivered a basket of warm bread to our table. I started with the string bean, tomato, and onion salad. The green beans were crisp and refreshing. For my entree, I ordered the ravioli tartufati. As soon as the garlic parmesan cream sauce touched my lips, I imagined that this was the type of meal upon which Italian angels feasted. I savored every mouthful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thursday dinner with live jazz triocdgchgoVIPDined on 7/17/2014A former coworker and I dined at Francesca's on an early Thursday evening. We were delighted to hear a 3 piece jazz group begin to play at 6:30 pm. Every Thursday from 6:30 to 9:30 pm there is live jazz and it is $5 house liquor martini night! A wonderful idea! I plan to return soon with the husband, and, hopefully, friends! We enjoyed a delicious meal. Pastas, salads, delicious appetizers and entrees. Save room for the house made gelati and sorbetti! Service was most warm and attentive as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just what I wantedRestaurantonedayDined on 7/10/2014I am sometimes, often, disappointed by Italian restaurants. Sometimes I find the good to be what I could make at home. It says home made or just like home and that's what it is. But what we had here was excellent. Not too fancy schmancy trying to make new stuff, but just great food. I had rigatoni wit pot roast (tomato sauce). It was soooooo good I keep thinking about it. A nice good size portion, but I finished it all. Everyone needs to get this dish. I don't write reviews usually, but maybe I will start now as a result. I may not have the words of a restaurant reviewer, but I guarantee if they had this dish, they would say some great stuff about it. This is a good place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible!ImoADined on 7/9/2014Absolutely love this place. The food is delicious, service is amazing and the ambiance is perfect. One of my favorite Italian places in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed.ironcurlDined on 7/9/2014Francesca's is always a "go to" for me especially when entertaining. Naperville, Saint Charles and Clark Street are the locations I visit most. As always, the menu and food preparation did not disappoint. Yet, the service did. I'll take good service and ambiance over outstanding food any day. The service makes the experience and when it is over five minutes before you are even greeted at table, that is not a good start esp. when other servers were walking by at the early 6pm dinner hour. Restaurant was not busy. Our drinks were empty half way through the meal. We had to ask a busboy for add' wine/cocktails. No check back on our food and after coffee was served, no return for refills.
- Fantastic as always!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/28/2014Francesca's never disappoints! Good food, nice waitstaff, nicely spaced courses. Will return.Special Features:
- Consistently Goodcooljazz69VIPDined on 6/26/2014The food was perfect and the Thursday night jazz trio that morphed into a quarter later on was great ambiance. Highly recommend the carpaccio, asparagus and prosciutto, and the halibut with the lump crab meat preparation. The lemon drop martinis aren't bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made to OrderPhilipDined on 6/14/2014My wife and I love coming here. The food is great. We particularly like a dish that is not often on the menu. The chef makes it for us anyway!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Goodcooljazz69VIPDined on 6/12/2014Been going to Francesca's on Taylor for years now. Lately, we have been going on Thursday nights because they have a nice little jazz band playing in the bar area. We really enjoy this place. The food is consistently good - the carpaccio remains the best and there is hardly a thing on the menu that is not tasty. Service can sometimes get a little overwhelmed when it is busy but they are always polite and accommodating (thanks Sam!). Highly recommended as a go-to spot for a nice evening dinner with friends or family. The drinks are good too!Special Features:
- Relaxing and funreservationistDined on 6/7/2014We visit Francisca's at least once a month. Never disappointed. As always the food was wonderful. No complaints from me!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MIKEVIPDined on 6/6/2014this is the most conversation friendly Francesca's we've been to and it was really pleasant. Our server was an adorable young woman who could not have been nicer and an asset to the restaurant
- HCO1Dined on 6/2/2014Great place for lunch; outstanding desserts. Friendly staff.Special Features:
- Awesome first dateTheDarkKnightDined on 5/31/2014I chose to take my special gal here for our first date and could not be more pleased. The staff was courteous and friendly, the food was amazing and the location was ideal. I grew up on Taylor and Laflin and thought it would be a perfect way to introduce myself as well as a little bit of my past to my special someone. Everything was fresh and cooked to perfection. Our waiter, Sam, helped select the perfect bottle of wine and really made us feel like we were sitting in a home and not a restaurant over looking a busy street. I would definitely recommend going here and can guarantee we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- everything was all goodjohnDined on 5/31/2014bountiful bowl fulls of very good Italian food. Just make sure you are near your fridge for your doggy bag!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our go-to place!CstacyVIPDined on 5/29/2014This is our go-to place! The food is always consistantly good and service is great!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over BussedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/25/2014Obnoxious bus boy kept taking plates & food away while we were still dining. Had to tell him not to do that twice. Food was excellent, but felt the menu was limited/redundant. Wine list good. Our waitress was green, but did a respectable job.Special Features:
- Francesca's on Taylor is terrificcdgchgoVIPDined on 5/24/2014Nicole gave us excellent service fort husband's birthday. Our party of 5 was very happy and she helped us make his evening special. The food, and drinks, as always were excellent. Fried calimari was a shared appetizer for all. We ordered from the menu and amongst us, I think we tried almost every special for the evening. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed their food and he was surprised when brought his birthday cake. Street parking is readily available if you have a residential zone 5 permit or there is a valet. I highly recommend Francesca's on Taylor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only good meals for the last 17 yrspairitwithwineDined on 5/24/2014My wife an I have been enjoying meals at the Francesca's on Taylor for 17 years. Our first home as newly weds was an apartment a few blocks away. We saw the empty store front turn into Francesca's and we have been dining on great meals since. Patrick has managed this location since then and the pride in his team comes through. Clearly they take good care of their employees and in turn there customers keep coming back. We now live in the suburbs 25 miles away, but return as often as possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It is Chain restaurant mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2014It is not great or good....Its not bad or awful. Its ok...Nothing special. La Scarola blows this place completely out of the water. The service was average. I asked what the specials were for the night the waiter appeared in shock or perturbed that I asked. He gestured toward the menu as if to say this is what we have. Francesca's is extremely over rated and certainly not the worst place for Italian but to be a long standing staple in Chicago, I expected more.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/21/2014Reliable food and great service. Can accommodate many occasions.Special Features:
- Great Time Had by AllLoisDined on 5/18/2014Being so close to UIC, it is a great place to celebrate all things related to graduation.Special Features:
- execellent as usualbarryDined on 5/17/2014Every time I go there, it is great quality and great service. After bulls games, before, whenever it is always perfect, food, service, timing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expected-FAILOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/17/2014I hadn't been to Francesca's in about 7 years and had the opportunity to go Saturday evening with a group of friends. For starters our waiter was super rude and not accomodating at all. Secondly, the meal me and one of my dinner mates ordered was not hot and the pasta tasted like it was out of a box and not homemade. Needless to say none of us really enjoyed our meals or the experience and therefore will not be returning. I did enjoy my cocktail though.Special Features:
- eata7otVIPDined on 5/12/2014Francesca's doesn't disappoint in service, food, or ambiance. The grilled salmon with avocado was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amesDined on 5/11/2014Food was good as usual but the wait for the main course was long and the wait for dessert was even longer.Special Features:
- Mostly good with one suggestionOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/10/2014Bruschetta was wonderful; however, the caprese salad needed balsamic vinegar and/or salt badly and it needed to be brought to room temperature before serving (my tomatoes were cold - ick). The Pollo Pagliacci was full of flavor and the Profiteroles were delish - definitley a must! YUM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DiamondWoodyDined on 5/9/2014This restaurant is my go to, it never disappoints, the service is always amazing and the food is always excellent. It's like a diamond.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointingswanrobVIPDined on 5/6/2014For the many times I have enjoyed eating lunch or dinner at Francesca's on Taylor I have never had a disappointing meal. Parking in this area is easy because of the valet, the hostess is wonderful, the service excellent, and the food is just absolutely the best.Special Features:
- Best meal ever!!CstacyVIPDined on 5/5/2014We come here often, but Mondays visit was the best! Everything was perfect thanks to Amy and Patrick!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 965 reviews are from the Francesca's on Taylor reviews archive.
- Wonderful, as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/4/2014Francesca's is the one restaurant that cooks the pasta perfectly. It's the right amount of al dente. While the desserts are completely American, many of the pasta dishes reminds me of my trips to Italy, with American portions. There's enough food for a meal the next day. This neighborhood gem is my go-to place for celebrations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.