3870 17th Street
San Francisco, CA 94114Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.frances-sf.com/
- Phone: 4156213870x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Every Day from 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Melissa Perello
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Frances offers exclusive use of our dining room for large parties. We can accommodate as many as 36 people for a seated dinner and up to 50 for a standing reception. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details or to schedule an event.
- Private Party Contact: Samantha at email@example.com 4156213870x
- Special Events: Our reservation books are open for 60 calendar days.All available reservations appear online so if you do not see your requested date, time, or party size it means that it is not currently available.
The largest party we can accommodate is six people. We have only one table that can seat 5 or 6 people and therefore, reservations for this table are made exclusively via phone.
Parties will be seated when all diners have arrived and can be held for up to 15 minutes past the reservation time before forfeiture.
A word from Frances
Frances, the namesake of Chef / Owner Melissa Perello's grandmother, is nestled between Noe and Sanchez on 17th Street in the heart of the Castro. This new addition to a bustling neighborhood hopes to lend a warm and comfortable space in which to enjoy its ingredient-driven dishes paired with a tall glass of wine. The menu changes frequently, ever-aiming to showcase the season’s finest offerings.Continued
Frances supports the shortest distance between the source and the table, bringing its guests local, sustainable and organic products when available.
Frances supports the shortest distance between the source and the table, bringing its guests local, sustainable and organic products when available.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Frances - Best Restaurants in Castro ›
Frances reviews from OpenTable diners
281 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (231)neighborhood gem (200)special occasion (152)romantic (95)notable wine list (71)hot spot (68)late-night find (14)good for groups (10)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- sfvisitorDined on 9/28/2014Delicious food in a calm, cozy, and quiet atmosphere. We shared the tomato tart and roasted cauliflower appetizers - both very tasty. I had a perfectly seared red snapper with somewhat bland accompaniments while my friend had tender duck dish that was generously proportioned. The pavlova dessert was the highlight, while the chocolate bread pudding was a bust. Professional and unobtrusive service and I really liked that the server wasn't afraid to recommend a dish when we vacillated between two options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely restaurantHelixDined on 9/26/2014I brought my parents, who were visiting, here for a special dinner. I was really pleased with the staff, ambiance and food. Everything was delicious and the server was very helpful explaining the dishes since we weren't familiar with all the ingredients. We had the house wine by the ounce and enjoyed it very much. We had a 5pm reservation and loved that the restaurant wasn't too busy for the first 30 minutes. But more importantly the noise level wasn't terribly loud once it was full. My parents have difficulty hearing so oftentimes the noise level can prevent us from conversation but here we were able to have really great conversation. I would love to go back if I can score reservations again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the wait for reservationsDesertFoodieDined on 9/25/2014Frances is a tiny hot spot in the Castro (the location was an Hawaiian restaurant years ago) serving the most wonderful food I have eaten in a long time. We started with bacon beignets with maple chive creme fraud he, an incredible bite of deliciousness and a tomato tartlet filled with some of the sweetest tomatoes we have tasted. Entrées were equally wonderful. Service was attentive and most surprising of all, prices were very reasonable for such quality! In summary grab a reservation at least a month in advance and go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a treasurePhilDined on 9/24/2014Wow - this is one special restaurant. To start with - the space is incredible. Small, simple and so inviting and relaxing. Great energy in the restaurant yet perfect for having a nice conversation and not feeling like you have to be shouting to hear each other. Service was impeccable. Perfect balance between classy, professional and then relaxed and fun, too. And then the food - so awesome. Beignets, salmon belly, chilled tomato soup, cauliflower all were my favorites but really there was not one item that was not prepared to perfection, great balance of flavors, and beautifully presented. Can't wait to be back in San Fran to make it back here again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/23/2014Fantastic food and service but the noise level and crowed seating made the evening less enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, bad serviceMaitaiDined on 9/22/2014Food was very good but the service was so bad it detracted from the experience. We waited 30 minutes after finishing our appetizer to receiving our entree. I had to flag down the server at one point because we had been ignored for so long. At our request he checked with the kitchen and we finally got our entree. Very noisy restaurant. Had a hard time hearing the server. We were squeezed close between two tables and could hear their conversations over ours.Special Features:
- Tasty but not wow!FoodLoverDined on 9/20/2014This time we were not totally wowed by the food as on previous occasions. It was still tasty, and we enjoyed our meal, it just wasn't up to the level of previous occasions - and it seemed like there was an awful lot of yogurt, tasty yogurt, just a bit much though. Dessert was quite uninspired. The pinot recommended by the server was excellent. I just expected a little more pizzaz for $240.00 meal.Special Features:
- Impeccable foodknohVIPDined on 9/19/2014The small menu almost seems as if it's too big because you can't narrow it down to make selections. Everything is expertly prepared.Special Features:
- Gorgeous experience2dineforDined on 9/17/2014We dined at Frances on the final night of our 2 week holiday on the USA West Coast; we are from the UK. One word; superb. The food and service were outstanding, and the restaurant's decor is gorgeous. The restaurant is located in a quiet residential area and felt like a special local neighbourhood fine. We would highly recommend this restaurant to anybody visiting San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Francesdp210Dined on 9/9/2014My husband I visited for a week and stayed in the Mission District. This is the first time we were lucky enough to get a reservation as we never can plan too far ahead. The restaurant is small. We were welcomed warmly and everything about Frances is warm-the wait staff is happy to make recommendations, the diners are all happy to be there enjoying the wonderful food and it is wonderful. When we told our landlord we were going there by text, she wrote back "Frances, fantastic!"Special Features:
- Absolutely Outstanding Meal!!!!!ToddDined on 9/9/2014This was only our second time dining at Frances. The first time was a pleasant surprise as we were too late to get a table but we're seated at the bar facing the kitchen. This time lived up to our very high expectations. The wine list was superb. The food was extraordinary. We started with a tomato tart as a bouche and it was one of the best things we have had anywhere. Soup and salad were exquisite. We had quail for our main course and it was perfectly done. The desserts were simply delicious. On top of all of this the service was excellent - friendly and helpful without being intrusive. We'll done ladies!!!!!Special Features:
- Terrible serviceMvr0519VIPDined on 9/9/2014Our waiter had the worst attitude. He was completely arrogant. The food was good. It's always a fun place to dine. ISpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The giftOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/9/2014My husband was given a gift certificate two (!) years ago and we've never been able to go at 5:15 pm..( the only time besides 9:30 that regular people can get a reservation).but now that he has retired, we did it!! Second time at Frances, same experience. Same hard bench, tables so close that you can follow at least two sets of dinner conversations along with yours. Food ok...just don't get what the big deal is. Cauliflower was good, spiced nicely, mushroom linguine was floating in butter. We asked for bread twice and received our piece, though no butter was offered with it. The eggplant dish was forgotten. Nice neighborhood spot...but a Michelin star?!? Certainly a nice neighborhood place, but a Michelin star?!?
- Innovative, eclectic cuisine.pickyeaterDined on 9/6/2014Fresh ingredients and unusual combinations surprise the palate for a unique & memorable dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/4/2014I would NOT recommend this restaurant. We were not made to feel welcome. The server was not friendly. The food was mediocre at best and I would definitely not return to this restaurant. The following evening we went to another small restaurant with a similar set up and it was excellent. I would definitely return there and recommend that restaurant to others. I was extremely disappointed in this restaurant.
- Wonderful Dinning Experience!!!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014We loved our time at Frances. The dishes were perfectly executed. The wine list curated with a steady hand. Service was not sharp, but adequate. The only negative comment to make was that, we were sitting almost on top of our neighbors. I think we would have been pleased with one or two more inches between tables. The host had to literally pull the table out, to sit my wife. So, if you like great food and meeting new people, bring a shoehorn and make a reservation.Special Features:
- Excellent!zministerDined on 8/30/2014For the price, I cannot think of a better restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pinotladyDined on 8/30/2014Food was very good, our waiter Kosta was professional and attentive but general manager Robert was unprofessional and surly. He wasn't sure if he would seat us because we changed from 3 to 2 people (although we emailed), and when we asked for the end table (we were the 2nd ones to be seated at 5:10pm) he said it was taken as the person who reserved asked specifically for it. When the party of 2 arrived that sat there, it was their first time to the restaurant so how would they know what table they wanted to sit in. They were friendly and we asked if they had asked for that table and they said "no"! We made our reservations 60 days in advance and they made it 2 weeks before. Very unprofessional and zero customer service from manager!Special Features:
- Better than advertisedOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 8/28/2014The food was amazing explaining why this is such a hard reservationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TychoDined on 8/27/2014One of the finest restaurants in the Bay Area. Food and service excellent.Special Features:
- Outstanding all aroundResetDined on 8/24/2014We were in Napa / San Francisco for 5 days, and Frances was without a doubt the best meal that we had. Incredibly well prepared food, great staff, and a small, intimate vibe created a nearly perfect meal. Don't miss out on the corn soup - one of the best dishes I've had in recent memory.Special Features:
- excellentjofiVIPDined on 8/23/2014this was my second time dining at frances. we had an excellent dinner. I highly recommend the quail for an entrée and the fattoush for a starter. very well preparedSpecial Features:
- As PromisedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/23/2014Still going strong. Not a bad thing on the menu and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing find & gemNeighborhoodGemVIPDined on 8/22/2014don't visit or leave San Francisco without a visit to this wonderful place. the fresh herbs in the dishes reminded me one of the ones my grandmother would use right out of her herb garden in the summer. I felt that I had been transported into a special dinner at a fine chef's home. we will be going back!!!Special Features:
- great fooddinkohVIPDined on 8/21/2014great food. the wine selection is reasonable. The food is fresh and tasty. Definitely recommend Frances for all SF residents. The price is right. My only real complaint is the tables are WAY too close together. Its a bit excessive.Special Features:
- As good as advertisedOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/21/2014After finally dining here for the first time, we can easily see why it is such a tough ticket. All elements were in alignment and when that occurs we expect something memorable -- and memorable it was. It really isn't appropriate to single out exceptional dishes when everything was extraordinary. Frances is good enough to insure that we will make all the necessary moves to eat here each time we visit SF.Special Features:
- Truly delightful restaurantJohnandAlDined on 8/19/2014We loved our special night out in the Mission / Castro district which started off with dinner here at Frances. I booked this place well in advance to arriving to San Francisco after I googled "best restaurants in San Francisco"... What we loved the most about this restaurant was the warm hospitality and professionalism of the staff. The food and wine were exceptional.Special Features:
- Amazing Dinnerm401Dined on 8/17/2014We booked our honeymoon / wife's birthday dinner at Frances'. We had an unbelievable experience. The food was outstanding. I strongly recommend the pasta. I'm not a pasta eater and I would have ordered seconds if I could.Special Features:
- Great food. Great service.SteveBeauDined on 8/16/2014Great food. Great service. Will be back. Excellent ambiance. Nice wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most Memorable Meal in San Fran!FlfoodieDined on 8/16/2014OMG, the food created by Chef Perello and her team is amazing. Started with a grilled salmon belly special that was served with avocado, homemade yogurt and a wonderful spice mixture that added texture and crunch. The bacon beignets lived up to their reputation of sweet crunch and soft interior. The grilled Bavette steak started with a layer of farro, sautéed kale and topped with tender steak. Hand poured bordelaise sauce over the mountainous display topped off a great meal! Hubby had the quail which was moist and nicely seasoned. Desserts were scrumptious- had the yummy Plaisir Sucre and the Lumberjack cake with homemade ice cream. Don't miss this place! Plan reservation 2 months ahead, its well worth it.Special Features:
- The Food Shines...jasontheslackerVIPDined on 8/15/2014The food is outstanding at Frances and make sure to save room for the dessert options. I wanted them all. The meal is inventive and satisfying all at the same time. The waitstaff seems a little aloof and the space is minimal, uncomfortable, and small. I can only imagine what they might be able to accomplish in a larger space.Special Features:
- Highly recommendedbluesonwhyteVIPDined on 8/14/2014This is a gem of a restaurant. What stands out here are the creative layers of flavours to be found in every dish. We would order everything again. The quail was a standout, perhaps the best version of this dish ever - crispy, moist, complemented by wonderful wild mushrooms. Easy to access via the Casrto muni stop. Reservations absolutely essential.Special Features:
- Hard to describe just how amazinggetzelDined on 8/8/2014Frances was recommended by a foodie friend and it was beyond amazing. Friday night at 9:45, the restaurant was busy but we were immediately greeted with great eye contact and a smile. We were seated for our reservation on time and the service from the start was stellar. The food was divine, with portions being just perfect. The wine-by-the-glass choices were all great for what we ordered, too. This place is special and to say that about a place in San Francisco takes a lot. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the waitRoyalflaxDined on 8/8/2014We finally made it to Frances and are so glad we did! All of the food, from the Padron peppers to the kale salad to the king salmon, everything was perfectly seasoned and had just enough complexity, thanks to each carefully chosen flavor component (tomato jam, etc...). House wine was excellent and sold by each ounce consumed. All in all, everything was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner of all time!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/7/2014Highly recommended and worth the wait :) I brought my fiance to Frances for dinner to celebrate his birthday and it was everything we dreamed of. Very special setting and romantic environment and incredible food (the bacon beignets are ridiculous). Will come back for special occasions in the future FOR SURE!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014I've been dispapointed lately with restaurants with high ratings to find it wasn't as great as it was all hyped up to be. I can say that all the dishes we had at Frances were good; from the bouchee down to the entree and dessert. I plan on goin back with hopes I can get a reservation given the menu that's offered at the time.Special Features:
- FabuloushappyDined on 8/4/2014Better than Danko, closer than the Olema Valley Inn, tastier than Chez Panisse, just wonderful.Special Features:
- DeliciousDinenwineVIPDined on 8/3/2014King Salmon was cooked perfectly - crispy skin yet moist inside. Sautéed vegetables were thoughtfully prepared with burst of flavors and textures. The beignets and lumberjack cake are what they're known for; they were good but weren't my favorite. My husband had the quail and he thought it was delicious also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very tasty!groovygirlVIPDined on 8/3/2014We really enjoyed the food, wine and ambiance of Frances. The food was creative, tasty and fresh, and the drinks were as well. I would have loved to see a formal tasting menu, but I really enjoyed the selections we made off of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectationsFantasticVIPDined on 8/2/2014I read a lot of reviews in many different forums and articles about this place and I must say that I was not disappointed at all. Not only did they meet my expectations, they exceeded it. The food was prepared and presented perfectly, the service was outstanding, and everything tasted great. One tiny bit of feedback, the steak was not as good as I would have expected. However, I feel that I may be a little spoiled as I live in Kansas City which happens to be one of the best places for steak of any kind. By the time the main dish had arrived however, we were full from the amazing choices that our waiter had picked for us. The steak was the only thing I picked out so our amazing waiter was batting a 1000 that night with his choices. Perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.