3870 17th Street
San Francisco, CA 94114Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.frances-sf.com/
- Phone: 4156213870x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Every Day from 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Melissa Perello
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Frances offers exclusive use of our dining room for large parties. We can accommodate as many as 36 people for a seated dinner and up to 50 for a standing reception. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details or to schedule an event.
- Private Party Contact: Samantha at email@example.com 4156213870x
- Special Events: Our reservation books are open for 60 calendar days.All available reservations appear online so if you do not see your requested date, time, or party size it means that it is not currently available.
The largest party we can accommodate is six people. We have only one table that can seat 5 or 6 people and therefore, reservations for this table are made exclusively via phone.
Parties will be seated when all diners have arrived and can be held for up to 15 minutes past the reservation time before forfeiture.
A word from Frances
Frances, the namesake of Chef / Owner Melissa Perello's grandmother, is nestled between Noe and Sanchez on 17th Street in the heart of the Castro. This new addition to a bustling neighborhood hopes to lend a warm and comfortable space in which to enjoy its ingredient-driven dishes paired with a tall glass of wine. The menu changes frequently, ever-aiming to showcase the season’s finest offerings.Continued
Frances supports the shortest distance between the source and the table, bringing its guests local, sustainable and organic products when available.
Frances supports the shortest distance between the source and the table, bringing its guests local, sustainable and organic products when available.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Frances - Best Restaurants in Castro ›
Frances reviews from OpenTable diners
265 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (221)neighborhood gem (193)special occasion (137)romantic (89)notable wine list (72)hot spot (67)late-night find (13)good for groups (10)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Always impressedEmsmuiVIPDined on 10/21/2014Food is always amazing and service is impeccable. This is a favorite for sure!Special Features:
- Date NightJessieDined on 10/19/2014Ordered the smoked applewood bacon beignets, roasted cauliflower tartlette, duck breast, mt. Lassen red trout, linguine alle vongole, the melted leek and white normal spoonbread, butteracoth panna cotta, and Ozark pudding cake. My personal favorite was the red trout which was wonderfully cooked while my boyfriend said the spoonbread was his favorite. The cinnamon brittle ice cream that came with the Ozark pudding cake was amazing too. Service was good, quiet intimate environment though perhaps a little too crowded (just by a tad) as it is a narrow restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good findOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/14/2014Loved the food and the service!! Would return in a heartbeat, though it was very noisy until a group of diners left.Special Features:
- Worth The Effortwabi47Dined on 10/14/2014to drive in from the East Bay: tiny place--a handful of small tables crammed next to each other; friendly staff and patrons makes this work out fine, and you are talking to people two tables away; every dish was excellent and several (delicata squash, spoonbread, lumberjack cake) veer into the sublime realm. Eclectic wine list, though we brought our own bottle ($20 corkage). Early reservations are fairly easy to get, so take a walk around the Castro, then amble on over here for a perfect finish to the afternoon.Special Features:
- PhenomenalsaragabeVIPDined on 10/10/2014Enjoyed every second of this dining experience. The service was incredible from the moment we stepped through the door to the moment we left. Ordered every small bite on the menu because we were so excited to finally be dining there! The special tomato tart (or pizza pot pie as my fiance kept calling it) was out of this world delicious as well as the bacon beignets and the fattoush. Next we moved on to the appetizers and ordered the tomato soup (WOW) and the Little gems salad (top notch). For entrees we got the steak and the trout. I was in love with the trout, but my fiance was not as thrilled with the steak, it was a bit chewy. For dessert we decided on the Lumberjack Cake and it was the perfect way to end the meal. Thanks Frances!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome mealcaitlinsfDined on 10/9/2014This was easily one of the best meals I have had in sf. Everything we tried was delicious - recommend especially the beignets, little gems, and spoonbread. The savignon blanc was really nice, also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/9/2014Everything was outstanding.Spoonbread, though a simple dish, was one of the best dishes I've ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/8/2014Frances was across the board perfect! Every dish was incredible and the portions were a good size (small plates are small but that allows you to order lots of different things!). Can't think of a bad thing to say.Special Features:
- Lucky CastropuenktchenDined on 10/8/2014Bistro-style Restaurant. Although we were booked for 5.30 pm, Restaurant was almost sold out when we arrived. Tables are very close to each other, so you might feel a bit squeezed. Food was very good and by far no standard fare. Castro is lucky to have such a gem.Special Features:
- Worth waiting forCukiDined on 10/8/2014With some reservations we highly recommend Frances. Our meal was excellent; the tomato tart appetiser was divine, as was the tomato soup. The kale salad was scrumptious - not at all bitter, even for a person who is not a kale fan - and our duck entrees were both very good. We couldn't manage dessert, but Frances generously sent some lovely chocolate "cake" home with us; btw, the kale salad was also gratuitous as we had been waiting about a half hour for our entrees; after the salad we still waited 15 minutes. That wait was one of the negatives; the other was the noise level, which, while not the worst possible, was a bit much for us. Nevertheless, we very much enjoyed Frances and will be going back. Oh, and our waiter was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/6/2014The only complaint I have for this place is how hard it is to make a reservation between 6 pm-8 pm, even when done weeks in advance. Otherwise, there is bar seating but that can be challenging. Overall, I have no other issues. This restaurant is the best one in the Castro area.Special Features:
- AWESOME!holycontejasDined on 10/4/2014I went with my girlfriend for a much needed date and we had a GREAT time. The service from when we entered until we left was as good as any I have had in SF and NYC over the past 5 years. Given we were both vegetarian, the selection was awesome and explaination of the dishes and what we could eat was very well done. Ambiance was awesome as it started quieter around 815 but was a bustling scene when we were leaving around 945. I highly recommend this for anyone looking for great food and even better service!Special Features:
- Saturday Night at FrancestwinpeakstrojanDined on 10/4/2014I had an amazing Saturday date night at Frances. This place is perfect for a special occasion or even those who appreciate the amazing food offerings. The service was exceptional and all the food and wine recommendations were spot on. While the restaurant was small, it still felt intimate; I was able to have a great conversation with my date without feeling like we were too loud or that the people next to us could hear everything we said. Before coming here, I would check the day's menu just so you get a sense of the amount of offerings. While I found them to be perfectly fine given the diverse range of options, a picky person who wants hundreds of choices will be underwhelmed by the menu size. I would definitely come back again!Special Features:
- Excellent meal, service even bettercook4fun121Dined on 10/4/2014The food was delicious and beautifully presented. We were most pleased with the pacing of the meal. It's a fine balance when your group has ordered several courses. A strong server and kitchen keep the food coming but never make the diner feel rushed -- the staff here excelled at this. Why the 3 stars for ambiance? Perhaps it's not really fair but I would have liked a little more space between us and the parties on either side of us. In fairness we were there on one of the hottest nights of the year. I bet on a rainy winter night it would be warm and cozy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great like alwaysDoraVIPDined on 10/2/2014At the last moment we got a table at 7:15 on a Thursday night. Lucky us. Food, service and atmosphere, lovely, like always.Special Features:
- InventiveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/30/2014Very delicious take cuisine. Everything was full of flavor and unique. Even the roasted cauliflower dish was very memorable. All around great restairantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, just avoid substitutionsSFEaterDined on 9/29/2014Food was very good except for the salmon. The red snapper was sold out and the salmon substituted in. The sides were not switched, however, and they did not compliment the salmon. I mentioned this to the waiter who gave me a suprised look. My mistake for ordering it but it should have been scratched off the menu entirely. The waiter could have given more concern when told an entree was underwhelming. Duck confit was delightful. The fritters and little gems salad were great starters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sfvisitorDined on 9/28/2014Delicious food in a calm, cozy, and quiet atmosphere. We shared the tomato tart and roasted cauliflower appetizers - both very tasty. I had a perfectly seared red snapper with somewhat bland accompaniments while my friend had tender duck dish that was generously proportioned. The pavlova dessert was the highlight, while the chocolate bread pudding was a bust. Professional and unobtrusive service and I really liked that the server wasn't afraid to recommend a dish when we vacillated between two options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodalkonaVIPDined on 9/27/2014The food was excellent - beautifully displayed, excellent taste and healthy. The small size of the restaurant made it feel like a casual, neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- lovely restaurantHelixDined on 9/26/2014I brought my parents, who were visiting, here for a special dinner. I was really pleased with the staff, ambiance and food. Everything was delicious and the server was very helpful explaining the dishes since we weren't familiar with all the ingredients. We had the house wine by the ounce and enjoyed it very much. We had a 5pm reservation and loved that the restaurant wasn't too busy for the first 30 minutes. But more importantly the noise level wasn't terribly loud once it was full. My parents have difficulty hearing so oftentimes the noise level can prevent us from conversation but here we were able to have really great conversation. I would love to go back if I can score reservations again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the wait for reservationsDesertFoodieDined on 9/25/2014Frances is a tiny hot spot in the Castro (the location was an Hawaiian restaurant years ago) serving the most wonderful food I have eaten in a long time. We started with bacon beignets with maple chive creme fraud he, an incredible bite of deliciousness and a tomato tartlet filled with some of the sweetest tomatoes we have tasted. Entrées were equally wonderful. Service was attentive and most surprising of all, prices were very reasonable for such quality! In summary grab a reservation at least a month in advance and go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a treasurePhilDined on 9/24/2014Wow - this is one special restaurant. To start with - the space is incredible. Small, simple and so inviting and relaxing. Great energy in the restaurant yet perfect for having a nice conversation and not feeling like you have to be shouting to hear each other. Service was impeccable. Perfect balance between classy, professional and then relaxed and fun, too. And then the food - so awesome. Beignets, salmon belly, chilled tomato soup, cauliflower all were my favorites but really there was not one item that was not prepared to perfection, great balance of flavors, and beautifully presented. Can't wait to be back in San Fran to make it back here again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/23/2014Fantastic food and service but the noise level and crowed seating made the evening less enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, bad serviceMaitaiDined on 9/22/2014Food was very good but the service was so bad it detracted from the experience. We waited 30 minutes after finishing our appetizer to receiving our entree. I had to flag down the server at one point because we had been ignored for so long. At our request he checked with the kitchen and we finally got our entree. Very noisy restaurant. Had a hard time hearing the server. We were squeezed close between two tables and could hear their conversations over ours.Special Features:
- Tasty but not wow!FoodLoverDined on 9/20/2014This time we were not totally wowed by the food as on previous occasions. It was still tasty, and we enjoyed our meal, it just wasn't up to the level of previous occasions - and it seemed like there was an awful lot of yogurt, tasty yogurt, just a bit much though. Dessert was quite uninspired. The pinot recommended by the server was excellent. I just expected a little more pizzaz for $240.00 meal.Special Features:
- Impeccable foodknohVIPDined on 9/19/2014The small menu almost seems as if it's too big because you can't narrow it down to make selections. Everything is expertly prepared.Special Features:
- Gorgeous experience2dineforDined on 9/17/2014We dined at Frances on the final night of our 2 week holiday on the USA West Coast; we are from the UK. One word; superb. The food and service were outstanding, and the restaurant's decor is gorgeous. The restaurant is located in a quiet residential area and felt like a special local neighbourhood fine. We would highly recommend this restaurant to anybody visiting San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Francesdp210Dined on 9/9/2014My husband I visited for a week and stayed in the Mission District. This is the first time we were lucky enough to get a reservation as we never can plan too far ahead. The restaurant is small. We were welcomed warmly and everything about Frances is warm-the wait staff is happy to make recommendations, the diners are all happy to be there enjoying the wonderful food and it is wonderful. When we told our landlord we were going there by text, she wrote back "Frances, fantastic!"Special Features:
- Absolutely Outstanding Meal!!!!!ToddDined on 9/9/2014This was only our second time dining at Frances. The first time was a pleasant surprise as we were too late to get a table but we're seated at the bar facing the kitchen. This time lived up to our very high expectations. The wine list was superb. The food was extraordinary. We started with a tomato tart as a bouche and it was one of the best things we have had anywhere. Soup and salad were exquisite. We had quail for our main course and it was perfectly done. The desserts were simply delicious. On top of all of this the service was excellent - friendly and helpful without being intrusive. We'll done ladies!!!!!Special Features:
- Terrible serviceMvr0519VIPDined on 9/9/2014Our waiter had the worst attitude. He was completely arrogant. The food was good. It's always a fun place to dine. ISpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The giftOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/9/2014My husband was given a gift certificate two (!) years ago and we've never been able to go at 5:15 pm..( the only time besides 9:30 that regular people can get a reservation).but now that he has retired, we did it!! Second time at Frances, same experience. Same hard bench, tables so close that you can follow at least two sets of dinner conversations along with yours. Food ok...just don't get what the big deal is. Cauliflower was good, spiced nicely, mushroom linguine was floating in butter. We asked for bread twice and received our piece, though no butter was offered with it. The eggplant dish was forgotten. Nice neighborhood spot...but a Michelin star?!? Certainly a nice neighborhood place, but a Michelin star?!?
- Innovative, eclectic cuisine.pickyeaterDined on 9/6/2014Fresh ingredients and unusual combinations surprise the palate for a unique & memorable dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/4/2014I would NOT recommend this restaurant. We were not made to feel welcome. The server was not friendly. The food was mediocre at best and I would definitely not return to this restaurant. The following evening we went to another small restaurant with a similar set up and it was excellent. I would definitely return there and recommend that restaurant to others. I was extremely disappointed in this restaurant.
- Wonderful Dinning Experience!!!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014We loved our time at Frances. The dishes were perfectly executed. The wine list curated with a steady hand. Service was not sharp, but adequate. The only negative comment to make was that, we were sitting almost on top of our neighbors. I think we would have been pleased with one or two more inches between tables. The host had to literally pull the table out, to sit my wife. So, if you like great food and meeting new people, bring a shoehorn and make a reservation.Special Features:
- Excellent!zministerDined on 8/30/2014For the price, I cannot think of a better restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pinotladyDined on 8/30/2014Food was very good, our waiter Kosta was professional and attentive but general manager Robert was unprofessional and surly. He wasn't sure if he would seat us because we changed from 3 to 2 people (although we emailed), and when we asked for the end table (we were the 2nd ones to be seated at 5:10pm) he said it was taken as the person who reserved asked specifically for it. When the party of 2 arrived that sat there, it was their first time to the restaurant so how would they know what table they wanted to sit in. They were friendly and we asked if they had asked for that table and they said "no"! We made our reservations 60 days in advance and they made it 2 weeks before. Very unprofessional and zero customer service from manager!Special Features:
- Better than advertisedOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 8/28/2014The food was amazing explaining why this is such a hard reservationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TychoDined on 8/27/2014One of the finest restaurants in the Bay Area. Food and service excellent.Special Features:
- Outstanding all aroundResetDined on 8/24/2014We were in Napa / San Francisco for 5 days, and Frances was without a doubt the best meal that we had. Incredibly well prepared food, great staff, and a small, intimate vibe created a nearly perfect meal. Don't miss out on the corn soup - one of the best dishes I've had in recent memory.Special Features:
- excellentjofiVIPDined on 8/23/2014this was my second time dining at frances. we had an excellent dinner. I highly recommend the quail for an entrée and the fattoush for a starter. very well preparedSpecial Features: