3870 17th Street
San Francisco, CA 94114Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.frances-sf.com/
- Phone: 4156213870x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Every Day from 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Melissa Perello
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Frances offers exclusive use of our dining room for large parties. We can accommodate as many as 36 people for a seated dinner and up to 50 for a standing reception. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details or to schedule an event.
- Private Party Contact: Samantha at email@example.com 4156213870x
- Special Events: Our reservation books are open for 60 calendar days.All available reservations appear online so if you do not see your requested date, time, or party size it means that it is not currently available.
The largest party we can accommodate is six people. We have only one table that can seat 5 or 6 people and therefore, reservations for this table are made exclusively via phone.
Parties will be seated when all diners have arrived and can be held for up to 15 minutes past the reservation time before forfeiture.
A word from Frances
Frances, the namesake of Chef / Owner Melissa Perello's grandmother, is nestled between Noe and Sanchez on 17th Street in the heart of the Castro. This new addition to a bustling neighborhood hopes to lend a warm and comfortable space in which to enjoy its ingredient-driven dishes paired with a tall glass of wine. The menu changes frequently, ever-aiming to showcase the season’s finest offerings.Continued
Frances supports the shortest distance between the source and the table, bringing its guests local, sustainable and organic products when available.
Frances supports the shortest distance between the source and the table, bringing its guests local, sustainable and organic products when available.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Frances - Best Restaurants in Castro ›
Frances reviews from OpenTable diners
283 reviews since April 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (227)neighborhood gem (201)special occasion (158)romantic (103)hot spot (72)notable wine list (68)late-night find (16)good for groups (5)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Outstanding all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014We were in Napa / San Francisco for 5 days, and Frances was without a doubt the best meal that we had. Incredibly well prepared food, great staff, and a small, intimate vibe created a nearly perfect meal. Don't miss out on the corn soup - one of the best dishes I've had in recent memory.Special Features:
- excellentjofiVIPDined on 8/23/2014this was my second time dining at frances. we had an excellent dinner. I highly recommend the quail for an entrée and the fattoush for a starter. very well preparedSpecial Features:
- As PromisedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/23/2014Still going strong. Not a bad thing on the menu and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing find & gemOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/22/2014don't visit or leave San Francisco without a visit to this wonderful place. the fresh herbs in the dishes reminded me one of the ones my grandmother would use right out of her herb garden in the summer. I felt that I had been transported into a special dinner at a fine chef's home. we will be going back!!!Special Features:
- great fooddinkohVIPDined on 8/21/2014great food. the wine selection is reasonable. The food is fresh and tasty. Definitely recommend Frances for all SF residents. The price is right. My only real complaint is the tables are WAY too close together. Its a bit excessive.Special Features:
- As good as advertisedOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/21/2014After finally dining here for the first time, we can easily see why it is such a tough ticket. All elements were in alignment and when that occurs we expect something memorable -- and memorable it was. It really isn't appropriate to single out exceptional dishes when everything was extraordinary. Frances is good enough to insure that we will make all the necessary moves to eat here each time we visit SF.Special Features:
- Amazing Dinnerm401Dined on 8/17/2014We booked our honeymoon / wife's birthday dinner at Frances'. We had an unbelievable experience. The food was outstanding. I strongly recommend the pasta. I'm not a pasta eater and I would have ordered seconds if I could.Special Features:
- Great food. Great service.SteveBeauDined on 8/16/2014Great food. Great service. Will be back. Excellent ambiance. Nice wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most Memorable Meal in San Fran!FlfoodieDined on 8/16/2014OMG, the food created by Chef Perello and her team is amazing. Started with a grilled salmon belly special that was served with avocado, homemade yogurt and a wonderful spice mixture that added texture and crunch. The bacon beignets lived up to their reputation of sweet crunch and soft interior. The grilled Bavette steak started with a layer of farro, sautéed kale and topped with tender steak. Hand poured bordelaise sauce over the mountainous display topped off a great meal! Hubby had the quail which was moist and nicely seasoned. Desserts were scrumptious- had the yummy Plaisir Sucre and the Lumberjack cake with homemade ice cream. Don't miss this place! Plan reservation 2 months ahead, its well worth it.Special Features:
- Highly recommendedbluesonwhyteVIPDined on 8/14/2014This is a gem of a restaurant. What stands out here are the creative layers of flavours to be found in every dish. We would order everything again. The quail was a standout, perhaps the best version of this dish ever - crispy, moist, complemented by wonderful wild mushrooms. Easy to access via the Casrto muni stop. Reservations absolutely essential.Special Features:
- Hard to describe just how amazinggetzelDined on 8/8/2014Frances was recommended by a foodie friend and it was beyond amazing. Friday night at 9:45, the restaurant was busy but we were immediately greeted with great eye contact and a smile. We were seated for our reservation on time and the service from the start was stellar. The food was divine, with portions being just perfect. The wine-by-the-glass choices were all great for what we ordered, too. This place is special and to say that about a place in San Francisco takes a lot. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the waitRoyalflaxDined on 8/8/2014We finally made it to Frances and are so glad we did! All of the food, from the Padron peppers to the kale salad to the king salmon, everything was perfectly seasoned and had just enough complexity, thanks to each carefully chosen flavor component (tomato jam, etc...). House wine was excellent and sold by each ounce consumed. All in all, everything was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner of all time!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/7/2014Highly recommended and worth the wait :) I brought my fiance to Frances for dinner to celebrate his birthday and it was everything we dreamed of. Very special setting and romantic environment and incredible food (the bacon beignets are ridiculous). Will come back for special occasions in the future FOR SURE!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014I've been dispapointed lately with restaurants with high ratings to find it wasn't as great as it was all hyped up to be. I can say that all the dishes we had at Frances were good; from the bouchee down to the entree and dessert. I plan on goin back with hopes I can get a reservation given the menu that's offered at the time.Special Features:
- FabuloushappyDined on 8/4/2014Better than Danko, closer than the Olema Valley Inn, tastier than Chez Panisse, just wonderful.Special Features:
- DeliciousDinenwineVIPDined on 8/3/2014King Salmon was cooked perfectly - crispy skin yet moist inside. Sautéed vegetables were thoughtfully prepared with burst of flavors and textures. The beignets and lumberjack cake are what they're known for; they were good but weren't my favorite. My husband had the quail and he thought it was delicious also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very tasty!groovygirlVIPDined on 8/3/2014We really enjoyed the food, wine and ambiance of Frances. The food was creative, tasty and fresh, and the drinks were as well. I would have loved to see a formal tasting menu, but I really enjoyed the selections we made off of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectationsFantasticVIPDined on 8/2/2014I read a lot of reviews in many different forums and articles about this place and I must say that I was not disappointed at all. Not only did they meet my expectations, they exceeded it. The food was prepared and presented perfectly, the service was outstanding, and everything tasted great. One tiny bit of feedback, the steak was not as good as I would have expected. However, I feel that I may be a little spoiled as I live in Kansas City which happens to be one of the best places for steak of any kind. By the time the main dish had arrived however, we were full from the amazing choices that our waiter had picked for us. The steak was the only thing I picked out so our amazing waiter was batting a 1000 that night with his choices. Perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food & wine on tapWeezyDined on 8/2/2014As always, the food was great, & we appreciate the wine on tap. We come here for special occasions; at other restaurants we would bring our own wine but not here- the wine on tap is good & a good value. Josey Baker bread a welcome special touch.Special Features:
- Brilliant mealTMcalister82Dined on 8/1/2014Great service, stunning food, nice restaurant to relax and spend an evening in. Don't rush, work through all of the menu, time and money well spent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the waitFranklyUnderwhelmingVIPDined on 8/1/2014Well we finally found a reservation that wasn't 5pm or 10pm on a weekday, same day 7pm find on OpenTable. We have to say beyond the unique (adult gourmet Corndog-like) beignets and a really amazing linguine, the food fell flat. It was way to loud and cramped for my pregnant wife, and the service was average. For the price and wait, we would rather go to Florio or about 10 other fine restaurants with excellent steak and salmon dishes. However, since the menu is seasonal, we are willing to give it a chance in say winter when some of the items pictured and raved about might be in season...that is assuming we can get a reservation. Worth a walk-in try if in the neighborhood, but not worth the months long wait to secure a reasonable reso.Special Features:
- Each time just as memorableJka436Dined on 7/31/2014This was our third visit. When we walked in another patron said "you are in for a treat!" That says it all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunately our last visitBrentDined on 7/27/2014Have been 4-5 times but this was our last. The waiter was good, but by the way that the staff carried themselves it isn't a happy place. Food was okay - we enjoy the small plates, we have skipped the appetizers our last few visits for lack of being particularly impressed, instead getting a couple sides with our entrees. The veggie casserole was good, but the steak was just really poor.
- Kudos to the ChefFoodiefromHonoluluDined on 7/27/2014Chef Melissa Perello has the touch to make the freshest ingredients indulge your taste buds and bring a smile to face. The best quail ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- charlesLocalDadDined on 7/26/2014We were seated right away and our waiter was very friendly, attentive and professional. Although we were disappointed to learn there are no cocktails (wine/beer only) the wine list was great, and the house red blend was wonderful. The menu selection is quite limited with just four entrees. The appetizers were really good, esp the gnocchi and the pork ragu. However the bavette steak was incredibly chewy. We both had it and we could only really eat the edges, as most of it was too chewy (in a rubbery way rather than a tough way). There was little concern raised by the waiter at our half-eaten entrees and no attempt made to make up for it. We didn't bother making a fuss over it.
- Fantastic Restaurant!love2eatDined on 7/26/2014We live on the East Coast and recently was in SF visiting our daughter. This was our first time dining at Frances, and it was one of the best meals we've had and well worth the cost. If you want a meal that equals the price, a substantial wine list, great wait staff in a small setting, this is the place to go! I can't say enough good things about Frances and cannot wait to go back! The restaurant is small and not always easy to get a reservation so book early!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GracieVIPDined on 7/25/2014Fantastic food and service. The bacon beignets and the steak we had was truly delicious. Even the bread they serve was one of the best I've had. Overall great experience. Only negative is that the tables and chairs are packed so close together that you have to literally move tables to get out, even if you're thin.
- GREAT EXPERIENCEOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/24/2014We loved Frances. The food, wine, and service were great. We ordered virtually everything that our waiter recommended, and everything was wonderful. Wines by the glass were reasonably priced. It's a small, quaint restaurant, and I'd recommend it to others for a date night or special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High class comfort foodMenumavVIPDined on 7/21/2014It is difficult to get a reservation at Frances, but it was worth the effort. It is a very small establishment, so we had to wait about 20 min. for a table to become free. We ordered from the small but well chosen aperitif list to sip while we waited. Our main courses were the quail and the bavette steak, both excellent. The quail was mostly boned, very juicy and flavorful and served with a nice combination of corn, roasted potatoes, cipollini onions and padron peppers. The steak was served with farro, which soaked up the bordelaise sauce and juices and was delicious. Dessert was a plum/berry galette with an excellent crust and served with tart lime ice cream. Excellent service. Nice selection of wines by the glass.Special Features:
- Frances at FrancesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014We went to Frances for my wife Frances's 50th birthday and enjoyed every minute. Outstanding service and excellent service with spectacularly unflustered yet very efficient kitchen staff. Thoroughly recommended. Vaughan Lewis Exeter, UK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food!evdsluysDined on 7/18/2014Frances came highly recommended to me from both online sources and friends. Loved the ambiance and the friendly service. Food was amazing of course too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!PrgdrgDined on 7/18/2014Each dish we tried was amazing! Perfectly seasoned. Beautiful presentation. You will not be dissappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally got in to Francesmd2020Dined on 7/17/2014We had to eat early but small price to pay to experience their delicious food and excellent, knowledgeable service. Smaller and more casual than I had expected but definitely worth the visit. We sat at the tiny bar but that gave us great access to our server and his recommendations as we made our way through as much of the inventive menu three people could manage.Special Features:
- Fantastic for the second timeWaltDined on 7/15/2014Great, innovative menu. It should be framed for it's imagination alone. Food was hard to choose. It all looked so good. What we ordered was beyond expectation. Service matched the quality of the food. A tough reservation and challenging parking. It was all worth it.Special Features:
- Foodie HavenSiobhanDined on 7/13/2014This little neighborhood corner location was well worth our finding. Such adventurous beverages, palatte pleasers and entrees. Everyone talked about the Bacon Beignets, which are light and tasty! My daughter, who rarely eats vegetables or fruit, enjoyed every veggie along with her steak, as well as nectarines and berries with the Panna Cotta. I got the Halibut, which was fabulous, and the Lumberjack Cake. Yum!Special Features:
- Amazing as AlwaysAnnaVIPDined on 7/12/2014This was my 5th or 6th time dining here, and the experience was just as great as always. The food is always in season and expertly prepared. The standouts were the melon shooters to start and the bacon beignets. Not only is the food delicious, but the service is wonderful as well. My boyfriend dropped something off his plate, and one waiter picked it up within seconds and a new order came out about 5 minutes later without us requesting. I would definitely recommend Frances to anyone passing through San Francisco!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experience, loved it!CherylDined on 7/10/2014Absolutely loved the food and atmosphere, its a terrific destination. You can feel their love of great ingredients and attention to detail. The food sings! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still going strongNighOutVIPDined on 7/8/2014We have not been here for around 9 month, but all is still as we remember it: great food with some new seasonal updates, nice service. Keep going!Special Features:
- RefreshingRDOGGfoodiestyleDined on 7/7/2014After a week of travel in 2 different cities, my wife and I embarked on a 10-minute cab ride from our downtown hotel to this neighborhood (and San Francisco) gem. In the previous cities we enjoyed alleged high-end food to our immense disappointment and Frances turned around our entire trip and set the stage for the enjoyment of our four remaining days in San Francisco and Napa. The wine list was well-selected, reasonable, and the recommended wines were a nice dinner complement. We started with the Applewood Smoked Bacon Beignets which were light and wonderful with the maple creme fraiche. The quail entree was excellent and the Harissa corn and Green Beans Caesar were a delight. Service was super. Highly, highly, highly recommended.Special Features:
- RESERVATION REQUIREDluv2dineDined on 7/5/2014$15 cab ride from downtown. Busy. Small plates for $8, main dishes $28, sides $9. Caesar Green Bean are terrible. $1.75 per person unknown charge - for sitting down? for water? for bread?Special Features: