Foundry On Elm
255 Elm Street
Somerville, MA 02144Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Foundry On Elm
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.foundryonelm.com/
- Phone: 6176289999
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Monday - Friday: noon - 1:00am, Brunch: Saturday 11am - 1am Sunday: 10:30am - 1:00am
Offering Brunch specials in addition to our lunch menu on Saturday until 3, Brunch Buffet and A la carte specials Sunday until 3:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Derek Clough
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Foundry On Elm
Fine Food and Proper AleContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Foundry On Elm reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (45)good for groups (44)vibrant bar scene (38)fit for foodies (34)hot spot (26)special occasion (13)great for lunch (11)great for brunch (8)late-night find (8)romantic (7)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (4)Show More
- Eclectic menucavb1118Dined on 10/18/2014Like most restaurants in Davis Square, the menu is different. The only thing my husband and son would eat was a burger. The food was fine and the service was excellent considering it was a very busy parent's weekend in the area.
- Neighborhood GemGemma2Dined on 10/18/2014Great restaurant in the heart of Davis Square. Changing menu and unique food choices.Special Features:
- Good - bit expensive for what it isPbearDsquareDined on 10/17/2014Good spot, fun atmosphere but pretty pricey for the fact that the food is solid but nothing amazing. Would definitely go back but think nearby places like five horses and painted burro offer better food for a similar price tagSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was coldOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/17/20145 of us went for dinner. 3 of us ordered "pan-seared" swordfish special. All 3 orders were cold. Had to send them back. I suspect they made them up ahead of time and didn't heat them through. Very disappointing. Instead we ordered burgers and fries, which were good, although the burger was small for $12. One of us ordered the salmon. Also cold and disappointing. Fifth person got flatbread and salad, which were just ok. Not going back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014Food was excellent! Had 6 people order different things and all were satisfied. Service was great as well. Good atmosphere, bar is lively but we needed quiet for a meeting which was accomodated in the back of the restaurant! Loved itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyed the saladOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/1/2014Lively place. We got a quieter table toward the back. The pizza special sounded great (and was good as an appetizer). Salad was delicious. Good craft beer and wine choices. Waitress was a little absent but pleasant when she did come by.Special Features:
- SupercalafragilisticLuvshackDined on 9/26/2014Expialidocious. It was good. Go there and enjoy the deliciousness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!BostonEatersBDined on 9/26/2014Great date place; while not romantic, The Foundry has good energy! We had oysters, apps and drinks -- the poutine was on point!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJSJSDined on 9/16/2014I read about Foundry when I first moved to Somerville, and I finally made it there. I had a delicious pork chop along with mashed potatoes and greens. They have an extensive drink list with beer, wine and cocktails. I had a bourbon barrel ale, that was unique and paired well with the meal. Our server was extremely pleasant and attentive. The restaurant itself is beautiful and has a real classic feel to it. Needless to say, I enjoyed my dinner there very much and plan to go back and sample the rest of the menu.Special Features:
- Casual Setting, Chef QualityMandiferousTRexDined on 9/13/2014Foundry on Elm never fails to impress. We dine here often because it is around the corner from our house and the food is consistently delicious. I've tried everything on the menu from the vegetarian stuffed acorn squash (amazingly savory with a hint of spice) to the Chef's special burger (a champion amongst burgers and we miss it!) to the steak frites (my favorite steak in Boston. seriously, I crave this dish). Nothing has ever been anything less than scrumptious. The service is always great. The one time we did have a minor hiccup, it was graciously and quickly remedied - no questions asked. If you're in the mood for some excellent cuisine, give it a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecentDannyVIPDined on 9/6/2014Went there with a few friends to grab some quick dinner and drinks. Service was alright and the food was pretty good but overall it wasn't a place I would necessarily go to on a date for example.Special Features:
- Great food/ambience, ok servicekc123456Dined on 8/30/2014Love this place but last trip was a little underwhelming. Steak frites were delicious (though a little overcooked - I ordered mine medium rare and it came out medium; my boyfriend ordered his medium and it was medium well to well done). Our server was a little bit curt which was surprising since we usually have very good service here. I guess we caught him on a bad day.Special Features:
- Skip Saturday lunchNancyVIPDined on 8/30/2014Let me start by saying I would give Foundry on Elm a second chance but my initial visit was disappointing. The restaurant mentions both on their website and on the menu in the window that they have Saturdays brunch options but the waiter looked at me like I had three heads when I asked what they were. They also gave us the dinner menu and not the lunch menu so the backup salad I was hoping for was not an option. I ordered the chopped chicken salad which while tasty there was nothing chopped about it and the size was on the petite side for a salad costing over $10. The menu choices seem interesting so I would attempt coming here for dinner but not again on a Saturday lunch where the staff seem to be recovering from last night's fun.
- Fun NightBeccaDined on 8/15/2014Everything was excellent. We ordered an appetizer with hummus to share and my husband and I split a salad and entree. The salad was very good and the pasta was excellent. The server checked frequently and everything arrived on time. Thanks for a fun evening.Special Features:
- Great burgers and beerEdMkDined on 8/9/2014Excellent grass fed burgers and great beers on tap. Also has nice cheese plate. Bar is lively and friendly. Service is great. Other dishes okay but not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply horribleOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2014Do not have the time nor the desire to write a review for this poor excuse of a dining establishment. Is it possible to give no stars? Bread served without butter? They had run out. 3 of 4 meals undercooked badly? The list goes on. Too many good places in Davis square to waste money here. New ownership might be a good place to start.
- SFvisitorVIPDined on 8/6/2014Probably good for a drink, but the food was mediocre at best.
- vibrant Davis Square eateryhamletVIPDined on 8/1/2014We were at the Foundry for a late dinner with out of town friends. I had the best vodka gimlet I've had anywhere. The food was very good - great appetizers and fresh salads as an alternative to the fries with our burgers. We will go back with the kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was greatIsabellaVIPDined on 7/29/2014Met a few friends here to celebrate a new job. Our server Rachel was awesome - so sweet!! She made sure our special requests from the kitchen were taken care of. We will be back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual dinnerlocalguyDined on 7/22/2014The food is good and there is ample variety, but ordinary. Everything was cooked as ordered. On a Tuesday evening after 8 PM one would expect more attentive service, especially when the restaurant is not full. Service was slow and food delivery was slow. We were able to have a relaxed conversation, which was fine. The place is lively and has an active crowd--a lot of regulars. Staff is cordial and accommodating.Special Features:
- Food good but service not so muchHud35Dined on 7/12/2014Went for late lunch with 5 friends on a Saturday in July .... the place was pretty much deserted, but pleasant enough. Our lunches were OK, not extraordinary, but the service was ridiculously slow and inattentive, with a couple of us getting our meals way before others. Maybe it was just an off day for the kitchen staff, but I wasn't impressed--especially since the place was so quiet! How hard is it to get 4 burgers and 2 pork belly sandwiches out to a table when that's about all you're having to cook?! I gave this a "Yes" to recommend to a friend, but with caveats about the service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great appsjustamomDined on 7/11/2014We tried two appetizers - both were delicious - buffalo chicken balls and dates wrapped in bacon. Food and draft beers are very good.Special Features:
- Always a great dining experienceTheProfDined on 7/8/2014We have never been disappointed eating at The Foundry. The food is always good and the portions are more than ample. Each dish is appropriately seasoned and is never over-seasoned. Every choice on the menu is reliably good. The wait staff is friendly and very helpful. They provide prompt and attentive service.Special Features:
- Excellent Burger!Halo1Dined on 7/5/2014Had a great time at Foundry! Service was great, beer selection was superb, award-winning burger was deserving of the award! The only thing that could use improvement is the artisanal cheese platter.Special Features:
- The following 674 reviews are from the Foundry On Elm reviews archive.
- Great bar scene!BRFadeVIPDined on 6/27/2014After having visited Foundry several previous times found the menu lacking in entree choices...we all had the signature burger which was very good, very juicy but delish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cocktails, good menuMrkennedyDined on 6/26/2014Not your typical pub food, the Foundry offers a nice diversity of dishes at fairly reasonable prices. Cocktails are well made and creative. This is one of my "go to" places in Davis Square.Special Features:
- Great food, so so serviceBob1Dined on 6/15/2014We have gone to foundry a number of times. We like the food and the atmosphere. Unfortunately, the last three times the service has left us annoyed. At lest twice I will accredit it to a server who either lacks the skills, or just doesn't care; we ordered desert bunted waiter forgot to bring them over. The third time may have been due to an overwhelmed staff; the drink I ordered after arriving didn't show up until after the meal arrived and it was impossible to fid anyone to flag down. It is sad, if not for the service I would call this place a must go to, instead I say, you'll love the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinks, poor serviceJoePi0105VIPDined on 6/8/2014Have been going here since it opened, and while the bar has remained top notch, the food and service have been noticeably on the decline. Went with a party of five early Sunday evening (5pm). Restaurant was empty, didn't order anything fancy (2 croque monsieur, 2 burgers and a salad) and were there almost an hour and a half. Once food arrived it was good, but nothing to write home about. Won't be eating here again anytime soon, but will definitely continue to come for the bar - drinks and variety are great.Special Features:
- Toe JamSpecialtimeDined on 6/7/2014It was our first time dining there. We had a great time dining. The food was excellent. It's a great place to enjoy with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LibrarianneDined on 6/7/2014My fiance & I chose Foundry for a non-traditional "come as you can" kind of bachelor/bachelorette party. I made the reservation for 6 & for the most part that's the number of people we had, though at one point there was 8. When I made the reservations I noted that people would need separate checks. The nite was great- the food was tasty (I highly enjoy introducing people to the Foundry's poutine), the drinks stellar , and all of our party found something to eat & enjoy. The waiter, Mike, seemed professional though a bit scattered. Some drinks and food took a bit to arrive at the table but I chalked it it up to a busy nite and the special requests we were making. We'll be back to the Foundry but definitely with a smaller group next time.Special Features:
- Pork BellyJackieAVIPDined on 5/24/2014It can be done well or horrifically. Foundry on Elm makes a blueberry barbecue pork belly sandwich that will knock your socks off.Special Features:
- First Time at FoundryHoochDined on 5/23/2014This was my first time here. Although my party of 4 had a reservation, the table was not ready when we arrived. However, we sat in the bar area, at a counter at the window, and were pleasantly surprised that there was a cocktail waitress who took our order so we didn't have to wait at the packed bar. When we finally got seated about a half hour later, our waiter was pleasant but not very attentive. One of our apps was wrong, which was not a problem as they brought the correct one out immediately. 3 out of 4 of us ordered burgers, which were perfectly cooked. The 4th ordered croque madame, which was also delicious. Overall, the food was great, the drinks were great, but the service left something to be desired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- S L O W servicebewilderedDined on 5/18/2014It was Tufts graduation day, but that is no excuse for the terribly slow service and a waitress that seemed to be in another world. Not friendly, could care less. Food was just okay, 15 minutes to get a dessert? Come on.. 15 minute to get an app? Drinks that came out helter skelter, not together!! Waitress didn't check on us or advise us about the status of the food - why it was taking so long, etc. Been there twice, but doubt again. Efficiency and organization very lacking!
- Nice atmosphere, slightly pricyDrewsephDined on 5/14/2014This was a great place to meet quietly and hear each other talk. Good selection of wines, good cocktails, good food - nothing really outstanding, and a little expensive for what it is, but I enjoyed it. Very nice location, and the interior is very classy and well laid-out. Service was a highlight: we didn't feel neglected or hovered-over, and after paying the bill we didn't get the feeling of being hurried along our way, making for a very relaxing and comfortable experience.Special Features:
- VERY disappointingFoodieGalDined on 5/12/2014it was 6:00 pm, so NOT the busiest dinner hour and that was reflected in the empty feel of the long, deep interior. The server and took our drink order promptly, which was nice. He also informed us that the meatloaf special for Monday nights was not available, and that there was only one dinner special. It was disappointing that a special online was not available once we arrived at the restaurant. We ordered a an appetizer plate that consisted of hummus, assorted other dips and pita chips. Very mediocre! The pita were soggy and limp. The next course was equally disappointing. The server then forgot the next round of drinks and had to be reminded. We couldn't get out of there fast enough
- Mother's Day BrunchAndyeatsDined on 5/11/2014We went for Mother's Day Brunch. The brunch is a buffet, and there were plenty of options. Everything was fresh and delicious. It was quiet. The waiter didn't rush us at all. All in all, it was a very nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/3/2014Everything was great, with the exception of the service, which unfortunately affects everything. Our server was clearly very busy...too busy to attend to our table. We sat for long periods of time without ever seeing him, were served the wrong drinks and cold food, and he never even asked how any of the items were? Sorry Foundry, a terrible experience solely based on a terrible server. Training is everything!
- Small Menu But Great Food!mandii65VIPDined on 4/30/2014The food menu doesn't boast a ton of options, but there's at least one of every type of dish you could want and they're all delicious! Extensive drink menu with lots of great beers. Restaurant is big and spacious - you can watch the game if you want but if you'd rather have a quiet meal with family that's an option too! Overall, a great find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good local spot- but Noisy!DebrisVIPDined on 4/26/2014Go early if you are dating, want to talk and not shout at friends. This is a Very popular spot with good food but poor acoustics, ie :ceiling noise problems, wood floor and wood tables. So there are no sound absorbing materials. A lively atmosphere is ok, but when 2 friends where there with me , it was a noisy Din! We'll go back, but not on a weekend or after 7:30 pm if we want any conversation with our food! Too bad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumTransplantedDined on 4/25/2014Fun night out with close friends. Delicious food (top-shelf oysters!) and our server was incredibly knowledgeable of both food and drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.