Foundry On Elm
255 Elm Street
Somerville, MA 02144Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Foundry On Elm
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.foundryonelm.com/
- Phone: (617) 628-9999
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Monday - Friday: noon - 1:00am, Brunch: Saturday 11am - 1am Sunday: 10:30am - 1:00am
Offering Brunch specials in addition to our lunch menu on Saturday until 3, Brunch Buffet and A la carte specials Sunday until 3:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Derek Clough
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Foundry On Elm
Fine Food and Proper AleContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Foundry On Elm reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (47)good for groups (47)fit for foodies (37)vibrant bar scene (36)hot spot (26)special occasion (15)great for lunch (13)great for brunch (9)late-night find (9)romantic (7)notable wine list (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Good local spot- but Noisy!DebrisVIPDined on 4/26/2014Go early if you are dating, want to talk and not shout at friends. This is a Very popular spot with good food but poor acoustics, ie :ceiling noise problems, wood floor and wood tables. So there are no sound absorbing materials. A lively atmosphere is ok, but when 2 friends where there with me , it was a noisy Din! We'll go back, but not on a weekend or after 7:30 pm if we want any conversation with our food! Too bad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumTransplantedDined on 4/25/2014Fun night out with close friends. Delicious food (top-shelf oysters!) and our server was incredibly knowledgeable of both food and drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceeddieDined on 4/22/2014Foundry is a little more on the upscale side of dining options is Davis, which makes it unique. The food was great and so was the service. Also made a special request that the table have view of TV's for the Bruins game and they followed through perfectly on that request. Very happy with the experience.Special Features:
- Great but pricyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/18/2014Loved everything about this place but was amazed that total with tip was $70 a head. Would absolutely go back if it was $55 or less.
- Great service!GingernaiDined on 4/18/2014We sent in a request for seating and it was ready and waiting for us just as we had wanted. Waitress was lovely and attentive. Food was delicious. Gets loud and more difficult to talk, even in restaurant area, as the evening went along. But fun atmosphere and great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent bar in Davis SqmoreChiliPleaseDined on 4/13/2014Great beer/wine selection and lively ambience. The bar gets crowded on weekend nights, but you can generally get a table without a problem. However, food here is pretty mediocre. I've tried various dinner options and have generally been unimpressed. Get dinner at one of the many other places in Davis, and come here for drinks after!
- LOUDpigeonnumber3Dined on 4/11/2014Yes it was a Friday night and we did not fit the demographic. By evening's end it was clear we were possibly the oldest folks in the place! Our group of three 60 year olds enjoys a lively place, but hoped to hear each other speak since one of our party only gets to Boston once a year or so. There was no trouble reducing our reservation as it became necessary to do so. My drink was strong and good; very glad there was Prosecco by the glass as well. Mussel appetizer was very good, the Artisanal cheese plate selection was fabulous. I had the Kabocha squash flatbread which was delicious. My friends enjoyed their meals as well.Special Features:
- attentive serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/11/2014We told the waiter that we were under a time constraint. He came to our table periodically to give us an update on the time frame and reassured us that we wouldn't be late. Personal service!Special Features:
- Wish this place was in my town!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/6/2014Great spot for casual meal. Great burgers, pizzas, etc., but also delicious entrees and cocktails. I truly wish we had a place like this in our town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome dining experienceLuv2eatDined on 4/5/2014We were a party of 8 on a busy Sat night. Service was great and food was delicious. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BurgersBahamamouseDined on 4/4/2014Dinner before Johnny Clegg concert - service was efficient, food was really good, our college kids enjoyed it, will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun pre-concert dinner with friendsCynnyDined on 4/4/2014It was a real treat to have such a delicious dinner at the Foundry before heading over to the Somerville Theatre for a concert. The fact that we could make a reservation was a real plus. The Foundry came through all all fronts: great food and drink, fine service and fun atmosphere. We look forward to going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foundry FunMojoDined on 3/31/2014Tasty food, generous portions, good prices, and prompt service. Great place for couple or a group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too loud with mediocre foodVelpewDined on 3/29/2014Went here before a concert at Somerville Theater. It has good reviews, but this is not the sort of place I enjoy. Loud beyond belief, food was eh, and service was borderline eh.Special Features:
- Great Local SpotHowieVIPDined on 3/28/2014Food varies from good to very good depending on visit and item. Good range of choices. Great balance to the large dining room-modern elegance with just enough pub feel to be relaxed. Great beer and cocktail selection! Service routinely good, occasionally excellent. Mussels and pork chop both recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- well done versions of usual choicespwbeantownDined on 3/28/20144 of us had a very pleasant evening at the Foundry. Great selection of beers. Menu is somewhat predictable, but very well executed. I had an excellent burger, cooked just as I had requested. My friends had a pear salad with chicken, a pork chop and fish & crab cakes, all well liked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Nightmares on this Elm StreetSanguineEmpathyVIPDined on 3/28/2014First occasion dining here and I was mightily impressed. The food was excellent. The staff was attentive to my extensive allergies w/ the Chef (Alex) coming out to the table in person to discuss what could be arranged for my meal - which was a wonderfully seared Cod over roasted Brussel Sprouts & Kale and french fries. Very tasty. All the other members of my party enjoyed their dishes as well, esp. the rich date cake w/ caramel sauce for dessert. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Not impressed at all...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/23/2014Went with two friends for brunch. They both enjoyed their meals, but mine was pretty bad. I ordered the Challah French Toast. There were 2 small pieces on a BIG white plate with nothing else. I took my first bite and realized it was pretty cold. I took a few more bites and realized it needed syrup. Since we hadn't seen the waitress since she took the order I asked the busboy for some syrup. Ten minutes later it arrived. It too was ice cold! Needless to say, the syrup only made the french toast even chillier. Now, I would have said something and asked if it could be reheated, but we NEVER saw the waitress again -- until it was time for the bill. Oh, did I mention my drink order was wrong too? If you don't know what a Greyhound is, ask!
- Post Ras Na hEireann 5K BrunchCaitw32Dined on 3/16/2014Excellent service even with the bar packed with runners post-5K St. Patty's Race. Food was great. Drinks delicious. Service on the spot. Thanks Foundry! Making this a tradition!Special Features:
- Should've requested another waiter.KatieDined on 3/15/2014My husband and I have been to Foundry many times and we usually sit at the bar. Since we had invited friends to join us, we booked a reservation and got a booth. The overall experience was fine, but it was clear from the beginning that our waiter despised us. We still don't know what we did to earn his ire. We saw him but a few times in the hours we were there, ordering food and drinks the whole time. He was curt and unpleasant, and never once smiled. Despite his behavior, we were polite and courteous since we know it was busy and his is not an east job. We also still tipped him generously. However, if we got him another time, I would most definitely request another waiter. He dimished the pleasure of our experience.Special Features:
- Great beer, good foodScoopDined on 3/13/2014Trendy spot on Elm st in Davis square. Great beer and cocktail selection. Good is very good, little pricey.Special Features:
- Great food, beautiful people.KellyDined on 3/8/2014Had a really good time with my gf, loved the food. I tried a few different drinks and didn't really love any of them, I thought they were way too strong (I've been drinking for 20 years, I know a little about alcohol). Maybe should of just had a beer. Otherwise, great service, nice professionals bar scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to meet friendsMarg03Dined on 3/8/2014We love The Foundry. The food is delicious without being pretentious or fussy, the service is exceptional across the board and we love Davis Square. Would recommend highly to anyone looking for a fun night out without spending a fortune.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pork belly yum yumamandaamaeVIPDined on 3/8/2014can't get enough of the pork belly sandwich, just wish they would serve it on the french baguette again instead of the soft brioche like roll...i miss the crunchy texture of the french bread!Special Features:
- The Steak FritesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/7/2014I'm not sure there's anything else on the menu because I never look. Foundry is my Steak Frites go to place. They do in fact have other items on the menu as my wife and friends I have taken there have had other dishes, and I have never heard a complaint. Always great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritesMassCoupleDined on 3/7/2014We enjoy The Foundry and is one of our go to spots. The food is delicious, drinks are plentiful, service is attentive and courteous and the setting is pleasant and clean. Depending on where you are seated, it can be noisy and distracting. Overall, it would not keep us away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loud but accomodatingDavidFDined on 3/7/2014If you want to have a conversation, do NOT sit at the long tables near the window. Food was good and dishes original. Service VERY efficient. Even better, we were stuck in traffic heading to D-Square, and hosts were able to seat us (albeit at the table by the window). I was there another time with some friends and we had a great dinner at a booth further in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish this place was in my town!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/5/2014What a great restaurant! Casual atmosphere with excellent food and cocktails. I will be back.....try the Parisian Gnocchi's......so good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed againCaptainHaddockVIPDined on 3/2/2014We really like this restaurant, but the kitchen is very uneven. The first time I had steak frites it was not good at all, but when I had it months later is was outstanding. The latest problem occurred at Sunday Brunch. I ordered the steak and eggs, with the eggs "over light". When the dish finally arrived the steak was really good and was cooked perfectly. But the eggs were absolutely hammered. Credit to the server who got me replacement eggs, but they took seven minutes to arrive, by which time I was almost done eating. I think a brunch place should be able to cook eggs to order, and it should be able to get them out of the kitchen quickly, specially when they are not busy. I do not think they have their best staff on for brunch.
- Good food, not for the hard of hearJandiDined on 2/28/2014I just brought my fiancé here based on a food recommendation and that lived up to its name, but it was super loud and hard to hold a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our server was very attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/28/2014Our server was very attentive and helpful. Most of our groups' meals were fine. I ordered the linguine and part of the linguine was uncooked in a clump within my pasta bowl. I had to send it back and have them redo it. The server was apologetic, but it really shouldn't have bee sent out by the kitchen. The atmosphere was energetic and lively.Special Features:
- Unique brunchCarlaDined on 2/23/2014A French twist for a brunch dining option. The food was delicious. I would have given higher rate if home fries, toast or some type I'd starch came with my eggs. Still delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, not a great hostessfoodlawVIPDined on 2/22/2014Went here for dinner with my fiance and another couple. We decided to go 30 minutes before our reservation to relax with a drink at the bar first. I checked in with the hostess when I arrived and let her know we would be at the bar. Then, at the time of our reservation I checked in with the hostess again. She said our table wasn't ready but she would come by and get us in a few minutes. I pointed to the area at the bar where we were standing. 30 minutes later, we still had not heard from her. This time, my fiance checked in with her and she said she had called my phone awhile ago and they had given our table away. Still had a great dinner & great drinks, but very rude experience w/ the hostess.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Saturday night dinner spotEm4711Dined on 2/22/2014I went to Foundry this past Saturday night with a few friends. The food was very good, drinks were delicious (although it time we ordered a round it did take a very very long time to get our drinks), and our server was fantastic. She was very knowledgeable, had a great personality, and wonderful attitude!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool to look at but mediocre foodYahboobooDined on 2/22/2014Everything had the potential to be good but just didn't get there. The brussel sprouts, while nicely browned were not cooked through. The swordfish special with a mustart had a giant disc of butter that tasted slightly of mustard but made it seem like i was basically easting butter. Fries came in a sauce that was flavorless and made the fries soggy. The greens were under the fish so they were drenched in butter. Wine was ok, nothing to write home about. Tried the cab sav and pinot noir...both a little on the harsh sidebut flavorfull. The ham sandwich with an egg was good but crazy salty. Service ay first was too fast, maybet hat's whyour brussel sprouts were hard in the middle, really hard, getting 2nd wine took a lot of waving and waitingSpecial Features:
- Took almost 2 hours to get foodPaulDined on 2/16/2014Terrible service, would never go back. Appetizers took an hour and then good took another 45 minutes. Staff did a terrible job updating us about what was going on.
- More like Found MeMRIEGODined on 2/16/2014Nice find in Davis Sq. The bar scene in the early afternoon was calm and enjoyable. The service/staff was friendly enough, and at times when it was rather busy, not enough attention was given (compared to other bars in the area). As for the food, the grass fed burger was really tasty, and while sitting at the bar it seemed comfortable and fit to hang out with a friend or 2 and catch up. Overall, nice first time experience and I'd recommend this spot for drinks and socializing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at the FoundryFBBBDined on 2/16/2014My wife and I had brunch at the Foundry at Elm and ordered the buffet. It was mediocre in choice and quality. It was basically diner food in a nicer locale. I don't think we would return.
- We love this restaurant. OurWeeWillieDined on 2/15/2014We love this restaurant. Our daughter is a senior at Tufts and this has been our go to place whenever we visit her.Special Features:
- Great food, fun atmospherejmh86Dined on 2/14/2014I went here with a few friends for Valentine's Day. The food was phenomenal and we had great service. The cauliflower soup, poutine, and short ribs were notable favorites. The atmosphere was fun although I'm not sure I would have chosen this restaurant for a valentines date, it was loud and crowded. I will definitely eat here again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.