Found Kitchen and Social House
1631 Chicago Ave
Evanston, IL 60201Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Found Kitchen and Social House
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.foundkitchen.com/
- Phone: 8478688945x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm.
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:30pm.
Easter Sunday Supper 11am-4:30pm
Mother's Day Supper 12pm-5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American
- Executive Chef: Nicole Pederson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our Salon Privé is a hidden gem, morphing seamlessly between a salon-style set up with sofas and cocktail tables perfect for a cool cocktail party to a spectacular yet sophisticated room for a sit-down dinner.
The room is inspired by the salons of yester-year that one may have found in 1920’s Paris. Similar to our restaurant’s lounge and dining room, the space includes many vintage “finds” curated by owner Amy Morton and is enhanced with a flood of candlelight during evening events. This completely private room is perfect for a reception or seated, family style dinner for up to 50 guests.
The Salon Privé is available for daytime and evening events and simply requires a food and beverage minimum plus room fee dependent on your desired date and time.
- Private Party Contact: Kara Sherman 8478688945x
- Cross Street: Church
- Public Transit: We are located 4 blocks from the Davis/Evanston METRA Stop and the CTA Davis Purple line stop.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet Parking is available after 5pm for $7. Street Parking is available as well as garage parking located at the corner of Church and Chicago.
A word from Found Kitchen and Social House
Found kitchen and social house is all about local. The Michelin Bib Gourmand-rated gathering spot is known for its flavorful and eclectic fare. The food is perfectly matched with the spirited atmosphere imagined by Proprietor Amy Morton, inspired by Bohemian Paris in the 1920s and icons of the Beat Generation. Chef Nicole Pederson's seasonal, rustic new American cooking quickly became the talk of the town since opening in November of 2012 and her flavorful plates continue to wow guests. The lauded restaurant celebrates the nature of discovery in every aspect of the restaurant, from using found objects in the décor to sourcing products from lesser-known local purveyors. Found’s flexitarian menu reflects the new American palate and its shared plates style accommodates vegans, meat lovers, and everyone in between.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Found Kitchen and Social House - Best Restaurants in Evanston ›
Found Kitchen and Social House reviews from OpenTable diners
208 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (155)neighborhood gem (123)special occasion (74)hot spot (73)romantic (55)great for outdoor dining (54)great for lunch (43)good for groups (43)vibrant bar scene (34)great for brunch (21)notable wine list (18)late-night find (16)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (3)Show More
- Nice, but stagnant menuzamartinDined on 9/20/2014I don't come here often, probably every six months or so and I've noticed that the menu doesn't change very often. Or perhaps it's just the vegetarian options that don't change very often, but in any case, I've had the smoked tofu shwarma twice and while it's good, I don't think I'll return until the menu offers up something else.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/19/2014Entrees were tasty. Small dishes. Two were barely enough. We had the two desserts offered and finished neither. Attractive but not very tasty.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/19/2014The unique decor was great! I assume that is what attacks many people. I felt it was over priced and when you read the menu it sounds interesting but the food was very disappointing. The wine was good!Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/11/2014Such a cool place for a girls night, date or just to get drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Full7Dined on 9/10/2014very good food - inventive but not trying too hard; very pleasant place beautifully decorated; drinks a bit expensive, but a nice wine list; not usually a fan of small plates but theirs were fairly good size for sharing and I liked the way they brought them out at different times so we could enjoy one or two and then get others; all in all a very good experience and I would definitely like to go backSpecial Features:
- Tapas-style in disguisekayseeDined on 9/9/2014A lovely place with a cozy atmosphere and undistinguished food. The types of dishes and serving sizes are appropriate for tapas-style sharing. Good, competently prepared dishes, but not outstanding, and fairly expensive when you order several plates to share to accompany pricey drinks.Special Features:
- Great food and excellent servicePBentDined on 9/9/2014Farmhouse will definitely be one of our favorite restaurants in Evanston. The dishes we chose: shrimp bisque and the cheeseboard for starters; and the fish fry were all fresh and beautifully presented. Our waiter provided both excellent advice and service. The entire dining experience was pleasant and satisfying.Special Features:
- small plate dining- sharing coursesSarahDined on 9/9/2014the timing between courses was terrible! as we were getting ready to ask for our check, our final order appeared, which we told them we didn't want, but they would not take back. I would not return.
- Nice & Interesting PlaceNewToFoundDined on 9/6/2014I read many reviews before going to Found. The place is beautiful and having an outdoor area is great. Our waiter was wonderful, attentive but not intrusive. He knew the menu and remained helpful throughout our experience. I have to say, the food was not as good as the reviews said. The lamb meatballs were over cooked and hard. There wasn't as much flavor in some of the other items as I'd hoped there would be. The wine was good and overall I did like Found. I will go back and try again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere, inventive menu!FoodieAtHeartVIPDined on 9/5/2014Went to Found with my wife for dinner and had a great time. Staff was friendly as we entered and our waiter was fast and attentive. Menu was great with ever changing options as they source locally and seasonally. Food was fantastic. We had a cheese board, frittes and a special of a lamb flat bread. Also tried the chicken wings - warning: these are FULL sized wings, not the little ones we'd expected. Only reason for 4 of 5 stars was price. Felt that a few small plates and drinks were priced high for what you got. That being said... I'll still likely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winnerevanstonduoDined on 9/4/2014We enjoy Found very much. The food is outstanding -- the only problem being how to not over-order and get too full. The chef's treatment of lamb is always inventive and delicious. And we always look forward to her treatment of seasonal vegetables. The only downside to our last visit was a waitperson who called us 'guys' over and over. We're not 'guys', we're an adult couple who wonder how 'guys' has become acceptable. Instead of 'how are you guys doing?' how about 'how are you doing?' etc. We'll be returning to Found.Special Features:
- Great ambiance, way overpriced..grejebianDined on 9/3/2014Love the casual very conversational feel , but nothing on the menu was extraordinary for taste and some portions were frankly puny for the price. The highly hyped lamb meatballs are a rip off.Special Features:
- Lovely dinner outsidenancybDined on 9/3/2014Managed to snag an outside table at Found on a balmy Weds. evening - food was mostly great - house cured salmon fabulous, flat bread with goat cheese and pulled lamb delicious - wanted to order the trout, but my dining companion was afraid of bones, so we ordered the shrimp, which we found disappointing. Had a lovely south of France rose, perfect on a warm summer evening. Desserts were wonderful, especially the peach sundae - will be sorry to see the outside seating disappear when the cold weather arrives!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect lunchChitowngirlDined on 9/2/2014We celebrated 3 birthdays which were perfect from the glasses of wine to the amazing desserts. Highly recommend these choices for 4 at lunch - Lamb meatballs (OMG!), mozzarella salad - unlike any you've had before, bacon and leak flatbread (could go back today for more!)Quiche, a nice serving. The Pot de Creme and Pound Cake for desserts were not heavy and were baked to perfection. Our server Alletta and the hostess could not have been more pleasant and attentive. 2 of my guests had never eaten at Found, they loved it and were very impressed. I love Found, it was a perfect place for this lunch celebration and I can't wait to return!Special Features:
- Great LunchNopesDined on 8/30/2014Took my parents here for my mom's birthday. It was great. Service and food top notch. Well done, Found!Special Features:
- Nice atmosphere, food is erraticfoodieVIPDined on 8/27/2014I love the ambience here, but wish the cocktails menu was more expansive and interesting. Also, I find the food is sometimes great, other times, really not good. You have to choose your dishes carefully. The pork belly sandwich is always excellent, but the Shrimp dish among the main dishes is not so good. Our server failed to mention it was full of tomatoes; I really dislike shrimp and tomatoes together.Special Features:
- Different MenuMomSaysVIPDined on 8/27/2014We had a beet salad with very stringy greens and a smoked tofu sandwich that was very good. The lunch menu is small but it was pleasant to sit near the outdoor area with the windows open.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time - don't know whywhovilleDined on 8/23/2014Have heard about this spot for some time now and never made it there. They now take reservations is one of the reasons we tried it. Had an 8pm reservation, arrived at 7:59 and were in our seats by 8:05........pretty great! Food is fun - very diverse - had a wonderful time. Congrats Amy on a great spot!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/22/2014Interesting set up. Not your typical table and chairs. Sofas and coffee tables. Good for drinks and sharing small plates. Intimate space for getting together with friends. Feels like you could be in your living room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- stash4dinnerDined on 8/21/2014A return visit bringing other friends this time. Todd our waiter ... great personality and attentiveness. Team service was excellent. Tried the new green bean - new potato - tomato salad, awesome. The fried chicken wings are still incomparable. Of course the lamb meatballs are unrivaled. And who woulda' thunk you could get Indiana shrimp? :)Special Features:
- Great AtmosphereauthenticviewDined on 8/20/2014Felt like I was downtown! I've been to this restaurant a few times and have never been disappointed. It's vibe really feels like we are downtown, but without the long drive! The food is eclectic and spectacular and the servers have great food and wine knowledge. I particulary like the fact that each seat in the place exudes a different aura. The front is so for people watching and the back is all about the intimate conversationSpecial Features:
- Found is a keeperhappy2eatoutVIPDined on 8/19/2014An unusual menu well served with charming and knowledgable waitstaff. Eating at Found is a tasty adventure.Special Features:
- Wonderfully CreativeFirstTimerDined on 8/15/2014Creative small dishes with fresh ingredients. Perfect for those that like to try lots of items on the menu. Excellent service.Special Features:
- Lost!SeekerDined on 8/12/2014I have eaten at Found numerous times. The food and experience had been excellent. The last time, the food was Spartan, overcooked and disappointing, very disappointing and of consequence, of minimal value for the price. Overall lack of attention to the basics! Let’s hope success and profit does not destroy quality and excellence. Hope bounds eternal! It is time to move on!
- Second visit as good as the firstsandyDined on 8/12/2014Ladies lunch seems to have a new spot for anyone on the North Shore! Small plates make sharing easy so you can taste a number of different dishes -- there were four of us and we shared lamb meatballs, Parmesan arugula flatbread, beet salad, tofu veggie wrap, and quiche of the day. Made it easy to share both desserts as a finale!Special Features:
- Found and LostbelowsaturnDined on 8/10/2014Found has an interesting menu and a cool atmosphere. But pricey food, poor attention to prep on some items, as well as the disappointing lack of interest in customer celebrations make it an easy pass for me in the future. It's mostly tapas style, but you don't get much for the $. Many of the dishes were good, not outstanding. The pork belly sandwich was abysmal. Picture coleslaw slapped between bread with a small chunk of pure fat tossed in. I mentioned this to our waiter and he just shrugged. Four of us went for my wife's birthday. When I made the reservation I let them know. Unfortunately Found won't bother to give your bday girl something. They will, however, put a candle in their $8 dessert if you buy 1 (or 2 like us). NOT recommended.
- First timersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014We're newcomers to Evanston. We love finding good restaurants whenever we move to a new area. We were excited to experience Found after reading reviews about how good the food is and how Chicagoans have made it a destination spot. That it is so close to where we live was an absolute bonus. Our experience was very pleasant, and we plan to return.Special Features:
- ExcellentaskadogDined on 8/3/2014Great food, Service was wonderful. We asked to move tables due to a draft (table was right by the front windows) and they accommodated gracefully. The food and cocktails were amazing - everything was just perfect.Special Features:
- Delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/2/2014Please plant trees or create a screen outside to enhance the lousy viewSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingTerryBVIPDined on 7/30/2014The food, service and ambiance are all outstanding. What more can I say.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!luv2eatDined on 7/30/2014Loved our lunch at Found. The daily special was an amazing quiche. It was served perfectly. We also shared a hamburger that was absolutely delicious. We sat by the large open windows so that we were almost sitting outside. It was quite "blowy" there as they have a wind shield to keep bugs out -- the airstream was a little aggressive. Other than that, we truly enjoyed our meal at Found and will visit again and again.Special Features:
- FANTASTIC!!!FANTASTICDined on 7/29/2014Everything from the service to the cool cocktail list to the food you went there for, you won't be disappointed in FOUND! Such a creative menu, really fun atmosphere. I can't figure out how they got so many eclectic pieces of decor to fit together without looking overdone but they truly did. It's really a beautiful yet cool place and again, I'll got back over and over for that flatbread, stone fruit and mozz salad, etc., etc., etc. So glad I Found it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambiance, great foodIAnnVIPDined on 7/25/2014Ate outside, tiny but fine. Food great (except for green salad with cuke- very mundane). Steak special great, make sure potatoes are well cooked! Had drink special but ran out of lemonade :(. Will be back. Dining area looks so cool!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unique dining experiencefoodieRNDined on 7/24/2014This was my first trip to Found and it's a gem! The atmosphere is so cozy and eclectic with big comfy chairs as well as traditional restaurant tables. The food incorporates unusual and delicious ingredients in a menu that has something for everyone. Lots of seafood options as well as vegetarian, we had a shrimp dish that was incredible! Kale salad was one of the best I've had and my son enjoyed a delicious pork belly sandwich....will definitely go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Midnight in EvanstonMmeXDined on 7/23/2014...no matter what time of day, step into another time at Found.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I wish it was better...GeneParmesanVIPDined on 7/19/2014Cool looking spot, very interesting decorating. Uncomfortable seating and dining experience. We sat in 2 antique chairs and ate off an old end table (cramped and not much room). I had 2 delicious drinks (the Babbling Brooke) but that cost $30! I don't mind high priced expertly made cocktails (Violet Hour) but this one came in a tiny antique glass and was gone in 3 sips. Kale salad was bitter and drenched in oil. Chicken wings were a huge mess and they should have been cut apart: tips should have been discarded and the wing and drumette should have been separated. That's what an experienced chef would have done. Flat bread was tasty but was drowning in greasy cheese. Chicken liver mousse was "offal" tasting. Excuse the pun but it's true.
- Work out the kinksOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/18/2014The food is consistently amazing at Found, but the service has been consistently mediocre our past two visits. Soup coming out at the end, server disappearing for long periods of time, water glasses sitting empty, etc. Easy things to fix, but they take away from the overall experience in the meantime.Special Features:
- Can't wait to returnOneMoreChanceVIPDined on 7/17/2014Loved our first visit to Found Kitchen. Wait staff was very helpful with selections. All were awesome! It was a lovely day so we ate outside, but the inside is so charming we almost regretted it. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to Evanston!NorthfieldVicVIPDined on 7/17/2014My lady friends and I enjoyed our lunch. There were a number of vegetarian options and the food was inventive, fresh and tasty. One oddity - restaurant seems to think that substitutions are not necessary to mention to their patrons so if you have your heart set on the raspberries on the pound cake and it comes with blueberries, don't be disappointed. This was the case with several of the dishes we ordered and we all found it a bit odd when it would be so easy for the server to mention changes caused by limited local availability. I am looking forward to returning, despite this quirk.Special Features:
- A Great Find!aplomb22VIPDined on 7/17/2014Glad we found it! Found offers an interesting menu of unique, tasty items, which are easy to share or eat by oneself. Service is excellent. Wait staff are knowledgeable and give good recommendations. Located half a block from a large public parking structure -- first two hours free -- Found is a great meeting place for groups coming from the city and the northern suburbs.