219 East Davis
Culpeper, VA 22701Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fotisrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5408298400
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Wednesday-Friday 11:30 am to 2pm Saturday 12pm to 2pm Sunday 12pm to 3pm Dinner Wednesday-Friday 5:30pm to 9:30pm Saturday 5pm to 9:30pm Sunday 12pm to 8pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Frank Maragos
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining area will seat 20 people.
- Private Party Contact: Frank Maragos 5408298400
- Entertainment: Live Jazz Music and Piano Music
A word from Foti's Restaurant
If you're ready for a new fine-dining experience, it's time to visit Foti's Restaurant in Culpeper, Virginia. The superb service, delicate flavors, and extraordinary wines rival those of the finest restaurants in the Washington, D.C., area. Indeed, owners Frank and Sue Maragos refined their talents at the world-famous Inn at Little Washington prior to opening Foti's in 2005. Yet the friendly atmosphere and small-town hospitality are uniquely Foti's, which is why the establishment bears Frank's childhood nickname. Foti's menu revolves around the finest local products, including grass-fed beef and lamb, handmade cheeses, and heirloom vegetables and herbs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Foti's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- DisappointingSoutherngirlVIPDined on 4/19/2014I had high expectations, having read that the owner was a former chef at The Inn at Little Washington. I saw no evidence of that. My steak was just ok, the cake was dry and the salad was very boring.Special Features:
- delightfulhungryinCulpeperDined on 3/21/2014Had a lovely evening with friends at Fotis. The service is impeccable and the food excellent. We had the poached pear and fish and chips appetizers. Lovely presentation and a nice light start to the meal. The chicken pot pie had a delicious herby sauce and flaky crust. The bronzini (fish) special was cooked to perfection, really yummy. Ended the meal with flan and bread pudding. Both good but I would highly recommend the flan. Fotis is always a consistently great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the driveoneshotDined on 3/13/2014Go! You Will Not Regret Your Decision! Outstanding food, presentation, and service! Disregard the complaints about prices. DSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic atmosphereVactioninginCarmelDined on 3/1/2014Our trip from Fredericksburg to Culpeper to try Foti's Restaurant was worth the effort. The ambience is truly romantic. The choices for the three course meal were diverse and appetizing. The host and assisting staff were very professional and attentive. Recommend this restaurant for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time; somewhat dissapointedSwferrierDined on 2/14/20141st visit: Valentine's 2013 while staying in McGayhesville area on holiday (1hr drive). We were pleased with the food, the ambiance and the service; however, there were only a few other occupied tables. The chef even had a moment to come out and greet us and all remaining guests; which was nice. 2nd visit: Valentine's Day 2014 we returned with another couple, but we were disappointed: 1) had to wait 30 minutes to be seated, although booked a month in advance & showed on time. 2) website's menu represented that Valentine's Day there would be optional pre-fixe menu in addition to the standard menu, but only pre-fixe was available when we arrived. 3) server said she would summon the mgr to discuss issue; mgr did not show at table.Special Features:
- Second time visiting thisOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/4/2014Second time visiting this restaurant, it's always been excellent. We had the soup, the snails, and the duck breast which we shared. The snails were prepared different then we expected, but still excellent. The duck breast was absolutely awesome and delish. The owners are very friendly and attentive our particular server was ok. We would recommend the place again.Special Features:
- too pricey for the new yearoldtimerDined on 12/31/2013arranged to dine on new years eve and choices were very limited. nonetheless we found options that were suitable but seemed exorbitantly priced for what we got. very unusual flavors that made for some positive comments, but again too pricey for what was servedSpecial Features:
- Dienelts' ReviewJohnDDined on 12/24/2013Better than almost any restaurant in DC, without taking into account the price, which makes it a spectacular bargain. Compared to the almost always excellent, but pretentious and extremely expensive Inn ai Little Washington, Foti's is a far better choice: food as good and price is incomparably better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have eaten here multiple times,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/21/2013Have eaten here multiple times, never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Thanksgiving ExperienceKhatterasDined on 11/28/2013A little pricey, but great food and amazing service. An excellent choice for our Thanksgiving meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- These guys are the best !!OscarVIPDined on 11/17/2013Amazing to find such fantastic world class food in such a small town as Culpeper. We are foodies that travel North America, Northern Europe, the Balkans and this is one of the favorite places in VA. The owners get out of their way to accommodate any which way. We loved it. thanks guys!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent, worth a repeat visitOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/2/2013Excellent restaurant with high class quality yet casual dress is acceptable. A bit out of the way (in Culpeper VA) but definitely worth the trip. We went back again 2 weeks later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date night place!TrishaDined on 10/19/2013I had heard good things about this place so we decided to try it! Loved it! Food was good! The dessert was fabulous !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not all its cracked up to be!Luv2eatoutDined on 10/18/2013Made reservation for 7pm but they had me down for 7:15. We hung out at the bar waiting to be seated and they apparently forgot about us! Food was so-so, not what I was expecting for all the hype this place gets! I think I will stick to a few of the others on the street where the food always makes you say "umm, soo good" and the service is unbeatable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week WinnerRitaDined on 10/18/2013Service is outstanding. Food was well prepared and delicious. Noise level is conducive to conversation, although we did not enjoy hearing the conversation at the adjacent table occupied by a very loud person. Would go again if we're in the area.Special Features:
- My night at Foti'sThegirlwhoateeverythingDined on 10/5/2013Loved this restaurant! There were eight (8) of us, and a little hungry after a day of wine tastings. The staff was so accommodating to move our reservation time up a bit. We really enjoyed the wine, the food, and the ambience. We are weekenders in the Culpeper area, and this will be the restaurant we take our friends who visit us to!Special Features:
- Great food, so-so serviceJamesRVIPDined on 9/27/2013The food was very good, and it was such a pleasure to find a relatively quiet restaurant for a change where we didn't have to yell. Our young server was extremely nice and well-meaning, but I did not feel like he knew very much about the dishes on the menu, food in general or wine. We are finding more and more often that restaurants with great food have servers who don't know much about what they're serving. It may be difficult in a small town like Culpeper to find servers who know a lot about food and have some passion for it, but it still seems like our nice young man, who is all of 21, could have received better training.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect EveningTheVirginianVIPDined on 8/24/2013This was my first time to Foti's in Culpeper, VA. Great location, staff was attentive, and the food was superb. Perfectly done, great presentation. Will definitely be back!! I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As first timers at Foti's,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2013As first timers at Foti's, 4 of us went with an open mind, knowing the restaurant had received rave reviews for years. While we were there, what may have been a wedding party of an older couple held a luncheon there. The acoustics were such that a large group in the same room was not a distraction at all. And we found out why they chose Foti's for a celebration: the food and service were excellent and the decor is charming. We plan to return soon. (We met halfway between Charlottesville and Reston.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good for a treatlouiseDined on 8/18/2013Took my sister there to celebrate her birthday. Food was good, service even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatCharmingVIPDined on 8/2/2013I was expecting a little more since the owners used to work at the Inn at Little Washington. Even so, our meal was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant I have beenMarlyDined on 7/28/2013Best restaurant I have been to in a long time. Excellent food, service and ambience. We will return. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/20/2013This was a great choice for a birthday celebration. Well-located on a vibrant stretch of downtown, just steps from the train station (if only the train from DC ran more frequently!). Really nice, friendly atmosphere: bright but warm, not too noisy but not subdued either. Our meals were quite excellent: generous starter salads with fresh ingredients and great combinations of fruit with the greens; fish (barramundi) was well-paired with corn and a light sauce: and desserts didn't disappoint either. The only downside was the coffee: espresso was unavailable and the coffee substituted wasn't up to par. Service was friendly, including a very warm welcome at the door. Some rough edges, but nothing that detracted from the evening. Great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/19/2013Service was great. Lots of attention. The food was superb from the appetizers-- canteloupe soup & mixed berry salad, main courses-- lamb shank with vegetables and jasmine rise & juniper-rubbed wild salmon with roasted potato wedges and mixed vegetables, to the mouth-watering desserts-- a dense raisin bread pudding with creme anglaise & an orange and chocolate "magma" cake with caramel ice cream. The ambience is very elegant and romantic. Good choice for a special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There was nothing wrong withOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/23/2013There was nothing wrong with the service other than it was slow.
- Would go during the week insteadBirthdaygirlDined on 5/18/2013Would go during the week instead of weekend. Took 30 minutes to get wine service but restaurant was crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Wonderful Food at Foti'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2013My family took me to Foti's for Mother's Day Lunch, early afternoon. It was crowded and we had to wait about half hour for our reservations, but to be expected for the time of day. We've been several times including New Year's Eve, and the food is consistently wonderful. The dishes are creative and tasty...it was nice to find a favorite appetizer this time as they are rotated. Our server seemed new, trying very hard, and did a good job, just a bit slow at times. Was very personable and pleasant, not an easy day to serve for sure. We are fortunate to have such a high caliber restaurant in our neighborhood. I cannot think of any reason, other than to try someplace new, to drive into DC for the same type of food. Relaxing and elegant venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad Call for Mother's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/12/2013I know restaurants are slammed for Mother's Day, but as this is an annual problem it shouldn't take a good restaurant by surprise. We waited 90 minutes to get our food ... which was largely forgettable. Tip: Do not order the fish and chips appetizer. You will be expecting a variation on the British tradition but you will be something that is more akin to shrimpy fish balls with three little potato chips. Our waiter seemed woefully unprepared. He didn't take everyone's order (I had to chase him down to complete the table), he brought items we told him that we did *not* want to order, and seemed ill-informed about the menu. I've seen great reviews for this place, but the noise level and poor service don't make it worth the trip.
- Terry's Tales of DiningterryontimeDined on 5/8/2013Foti's reputation preceded it !!!!! It was our first time and a very long ride and it was worth the trip!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our 2nd or 3rd visitOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/19/2013This was our 2nd or 3rd visit and never disappointed.Special Features:
- Great food without the crowdJDEfromWarrentonDined on 3/22/2013My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our evening out at the Foti's Restaurant in the quaint old-town section of Culpeper, VA. The food was simply outstanding. The chef's recipes were unique and luscious. My appetizer was lobster meat with a unique apple-based sauce sprinkled with walnuts. I am a person rarely impressed with expensive appetizers, but this one was memorably great. My wife had a salmon with a very thin crust that made it unique and flavorful. Her desert was an amazing "cupcake" of bread pudding with a caramel-based sauce. That was a "2-spoon" desert not for the size, but for the flavor. The setting was hardwood floors - very attractive, but echoie. Food came slowly, probably because few customers meant custom orders.Special Features:
- Third time I have been toFredDined on 2/16/2013Third time I have been to Foti's. Nice place and worth the drive if you don't live in Culpeper. Imaginative food that is outstanding, pleasant staff and a bargin as well.Special Features:
- Off day?OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/15/2012We found Fotis over the summer and when we are in Culpeper usually stop by for lunch. This time however, we were a little disappointed. The food and service was very lack luster. I hope the next time we stop by we will have a better experience.Special Features:
- My friend and I were havingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/12/2012My friend and I were having a little reunion after 48 years...she drove from Maryland, and I drove from Roanoke, and Culpeper was equidistant from both of us. I had heard of Foti's excellence but hadn't had an opportunity to eat there before. They couldn't have been nicer, and the food was spectacularly delicious. Since we were there for lunch, I can't attest to the bar scene or the late-night ambiance.Special Features:
- I hadn't been here for severalOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/6/2012I hadn't been here for several years, but I had had truly wonderful memorable meals the previous times. With that background, I found the meal this time very disappointing; the food was mostly quite ordinary. I hope it was just an off night, but I wonder if they've had major changes from the expert kitchen staff they had before, some of whom came from the Inn at Little Washington.
- Great restaurant! Food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/5/2012Great restaurant! Food was excellent, and service was very attentive. Best place we've eaten in Virginia!Special Features:
- Wonderful food and great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2012Price is on par with the quality of food and the level of service. Wine, even by the glass, is brought to the table and poured, which is impressive. The entire staff serves EVERYONE which really kicks up the level of service. I prefer moderate portions and high quality over large quantities of so-so fare, and Forti's fits the bill.Special Features:
- Since we were travelling inOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 10/20/2012Since we were travelling in the area, we decided to try Foti's for our anniversary dinner. We enjoyed it very much. We do not consider ourselves foodies, but think that Foti's would be the place to go for any foodie in search of a restaurant in this area. We will look forward to further exploration of Foti's menu when we visit Culpeper again.Special Features:
- Great restaurant! Food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/13/2012Great restaurant! Food was excellent, and service was very attentive. Best place we've eaten in Virginia!Special Features:
- We've been before and wereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2012We've been before and were wowed by the food and service, and we will return again. I think they were a little overwhelmed with demand because of restaurant week in Culpeper. Salad and salmon were pretty good, but the apple dumpling desert was incredible!Special Features: