44 West 44th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.royaltonhotel.com/
- Phone: (212) 944-8844
- Hours of Operation:
BREAKFAST: 7:00am - 11:30am (Monday-Friday)
LUNCH: 11:30am - 2:00pm (Monday-Friday)
LOUNGE: 5:00pm - 12:00am (Monday-Friday)
WEEKEND BREAKFAST (SAT-SUN): 8:00am - 11:00am (Limited Menu)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Gabriel Cruz
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Enjoy a private room with outdoor terrace, fireplace and great views over Time Square. From fun and casual to elegant and formal, the design and the quality of service will WOW your guests. Stand up receptions for 100 or sit down dinners for up to 40 people.
- Private Party Contact: Jennifer Snowden 2129448844x
A word from Forty Four
Headlined by world class bartenders and accompanied by an ingredient-focused food menu that deconstructs familiar favorites, Forty Four celebrates the longstanding hotel lobby ritual of the traditional happy hour, but offers a modern twist on timeless classics. It's iconic interior, ground-breaking cocktails, appreciation for simple, high quality food, and devoted following makes Forty Four a high profile, effortlessly lux New York destination.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Forty Four reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (7)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- Good pre theatersisterDined on 11/12/2014Fresh light lunch w time to linger. Attentive service. Only dessert is chocolate chip cookie, served hot; not great when room temp.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than stellar business lunchKrsherwoodDined on 10/24/2014Service was ok - plenty of waiters but food served at different times for 5 of us. Food was less than desirable - steak tough as shoe leather, chicken clearly not gourmet. It's a hotel restaurant... Won't return.
- oddly indifferent and slow servicehonestPOVDined on 10/7/2014Been going to the Royalton/44 since it first opened. I'll never understand the aesthetic of the remodeling done a few years ago (Trader Vic's?), but the main point is that even when the dining room is at 50% capacity, the service is just preposterously slow and inattentive, from waiting tines, to no water, to no coffee refills, to delivering/picking up the check. I put this down to poor management and front-of-house, not necessarily the staff.
- Consistent and gooddeedeepenVIPDined on 9/24/2014This is my go to place for breakfast meetings. The team that works here is so accommodating, friendly and always willing to move quickly when I have time constraints. They are really a pleasure. The food is well prepared and entirely consistent every time I go. It is hard to find a good place in midtown w/ a pleasant ambiance, great service, and consistent food - esp. for breakfast.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Impeccable food and some of the fastest service I have seen in recent memory. Fantastic! Will return.Special Features:
- The following 160 reviews are from the Forty Four reviews archive.
- A Treasure!AnnieEVIPDined on 7/18/2014WOW! What a fantastic place for a nice, quiet lunch just steps away from the hustle and bustle of Times Square and Bryant Park. You can actually have a conversation and have room to breathe and relax while enjoying a delicious meal and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible service at breakfastyoyobuzzcakesVIPDined on 6/19/2014I have used this place several times before for spot for a mid town breakfast meeting and it was always great but last week the service was worse than in my local CVS. Never had the same waiter twice, hostess looked like she wanted to kill herself and instead of a non-fat cappuccino they brought a non-caffeine cappuccino. Not a good idea to mess with people's caffeine so early in the day. Food was fine but not worth the price due to the terrible service. Given that this was breakfast service and several tables looked to be also in business meetings, it was unacceptably slow and un-attentive service. Big shame for what used to be my go-to but I can't risk this place again.
- A Mecca for business lunch.PhiladelphiaPhilDined on 5/27/2014Perfect spot for a business lunch. Good food, excellent service and a great spot for conversation -- a rarity these days!Special Features:
- Business breakfast meeting placeN45STVIPDined on 5/14/2014I have been here twice in a week, and it is the same deal every time. Tables are large so you can have a proper conversation, but no outlets to be found. Service is sorely lacking. You need to send up a flare for more coffee or to get the check. Food is good enough and location is great. The Royalton is just so dark and unwelcoming that you feel like you are walking into a tunnel when you enter and need a flashlight to find your way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for business breakfastsPedroDined on 4/30/201444 is one of the best mid-town locations for a business breakfast. (Sorry, can't comment on other meals.) Food and service are both very good. Never feel rushed. Coffee is especially delicious. And the tables are separated so that a quiet and private conversation is possible.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant Haven in MidtownSusannaDined on 4/15/2014We were looking for a good place to have a conversation for a couple of hours, and this was our choice, and a great location too. Interesting menu and the food was indeed very good. If I don't check "outstanding," it's only because I save that word for extraordinary experiences. This was excellent in every way, and the serenity was even better than we had imagined. There were lots of people there, but even as the room filled up, it was never noisy. This is one of the few places in NYC where I could say that, and for that reason alone we would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tucked away gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/11/2014Great ambiance...great food...serene and easy to carry-on a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location but disappointinglacaciVIPDined on 4/9/2014Starting with the aloof hostess who was very put out that I asked for a different table even though the restaurant was empty, to the very, very slow and indifferent service, it was a disappointing experience. Although I love the location and the decor and I adored my quinoa salad, I would probably not go back. I asked for bread and was brought two pieces of toast, no butter or olive oil to accompany it. My colleague changed his mind and wanted a soup appetizer after another in our group received his, and it took 20 minutes to bring out a bowl of soup. Mind you, the restaurant wasn't even half full. I've read other complaints about the service and now I see what they mean.
- Not a location for dinnerocharlesDined on 3/27/2014I made a dinner reservation with a Fortune 500 client. They rented the restaurant portion out to a 3rd party and did not call to notify of the change, extremely unprofessional behavior.Special Features:
- Mediocre midtown hotel breakfastN45STVIPDined on 3/26/2014Best thing about the Royalton is location, location, location. Breakfast is adequate, not memorable, service was totally lacking. We sat for almost an hour without anyone even offering us more coffee. Lobby is characteristically dark but fireplace is always a nice touch.Special Features:
- Great food and service. Too LOUDSherryDined on 3/20/2014No wonder the adjacent bar was packed and the restaurant. Half full. They need to find a way to keep the bar banging sound out of the restaurant. Amazing service Great food At least avoid on Thursday nights. Too too loudSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing to write home aboutFrequentdinerVIPDined on 3/14/2014Perhaps it was the time of day, maybe there has been a change in management since my last visit. What used to be a nice place for a business lunch has turned into just another hotel restaurant. The place was fairly empty, yet we were seated at the table nearest the back door. Before being seated, we asked for another table and were told that this was the only one available.The other open tables never filled up. In addition to the flood of daylight, we received a blast of cold air every time the door was opened. The food was fair, at best. My fish arrived luke warm and over cooked. My guest's turkey club sandwich was ordinary and the accompanying fries were limp. Service was pleasant but inattentive.
- Great Food but Can't Find ServerJMcKnyDined on 3/11/2014Delightful food in a nice ambience. But, when the improper food was delivered for one of our guests, we searched high & low to find someone to assist us. Finally someone arrived that appeared unhappy to have been bothered. But they got even by taking forever to rectify the situation. When first seated, we asked for bread, which arrived at the end of the meal after the second request. Highly recommend the salmon although cool after waiting for the errant meal to be corrected.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed quick drink by a fireplaceemrempsDined on 2/14/2014Stopped by before seeing Matilda on Valentine's day. Had a couple drinks and some appetizers. Food was really good; don't remember now what I had. Service was ok - first they were confused bc they wanted to seat us since we had an open table reservation but we wanted to sit instead by the beautiful fireplaces on very comfy couches. They didn't tell open table I came and then when I got questioned about bailing I had to tell them that no I was there and have a receipt to prove it. It's a big place so I guess it took the waiter a while to get around but overall I liked this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overrated, overpricedjlonycVIPDined on 1/24/2014think this place makes a very cool place to meet for a drink. dinner was okay. limited menu, overpriced and food was good but not plated in some fabulous way. was also pretty empty for friday night yet we sat ourselves when we couldn't find a hostess.. or waitress! and there is no dessert--not even a little free thing to get you moving along. disappointed.
- SadfrequentOpenTabledinerVIPDined on 1/17/2014We went to Forty Four because we had theater tickets nearby. Back in the day, the Royalton was teeming with electricity. Now -- not so much. The wait staff couldn't have been nicer -- but that is about the only thing to recommend it. The environment looks tired -- I felt a little like I was at a Ramada Inn. The chef couldn't even be bothered to offer any desserts. No one was there on a Friday night. I would have rather gone to the diner across the street. At least there, you get what you pay for. Sad to see it come to this.
- Perfect for Pre-theatre lunchJillb04VIPDined on 12/11/2013Great soups, salads and sandwiches in a beautiful atmosphere. Great service, close to theaters, perfect choice for pre- matinee lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- will try againannaliceVIPDined on 11/12/2013This was my second experience, and I will definitely come to this place again. Just make a mental note to request NOT a table by the 43rd Street door. The soup was delicious and came in handy to ward against the cold breeze whenever anyone came or went. service was slow, but I think the wait-staff was taking their cues from my talkative lunch friend and tried not to be a bother. The food here is great, and the service overall is excellent.
- The food and service qualityMartyDined on 10/29/2013The food and service quality are perfect for business luncheons. The staff is very attentive, yet allows its guests the time required to both dine and conduct its business, with minimal interruption.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre theater lunchb1mj1VIPDined on 8/21/2013Perfect for pre-theater lunch if attending matinee in theaters located early 40'sI would recommend this to a friend.
- Breakfast was fantastic!IceIceBabyDined on 7/29/2013I met a colleague there for breakfast at 8:30am. We really had a lot of fun. The wait staff was top notch and the food DELICIOUS!Special Features:
- A bit odd atmosphereYvetteVIPDined on 7/11/2013Perhpas it was because we arrrived early in the evening, but the restaruant didn't seem quite prepared for guests. There was no hostess and we weren't sure we were in the dining room. The room is in the back after you walk through the bar, but it was hard to discern where to actually go. In terms of the menu--the offering are quite limited. The food was very good--we both had branzino which was excellent. The atmosphere though is lacking anything special. We were just there for a meal prior to the theater so that worked out fine. I think it is a better place to go and hang in the lounge or bar if you want more atmosphere. However, the food is totally fine if you choose to eat as well.Special Features:
- long wait for entreesSalubriousdinerDined on 6/17/2013Took nearly a half hour to get our food, which is way too long. That said, we three each LOVED our entrees, and we will totally return again. Maybe this time with snacks in our purses...
- Hotel royalton restaurantLillybelleVIPDined on 6/6/2013Very good! We were all pleased with our lunch.good location for people staying in mid town or Times Square or theater district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was not impressed with theOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/16/2013I was not impressed with the restaurant. The food was ok. There are so many great restaurants on 44th Street btwn 5th and 6th Avenues, it is hard to compete. The band was fantastic!
- WAY too Salty!JSW228VIPDined on 5/8/2013Went for a nice dinner to impress someone. The food is high quality and menu is impressive but there was SO much salt on all the dishes that we left hungry and thirsty. Tuna tartare was large chunky pieces of tuna but soaked in salt. Ate a few bites and just waited for the mains. The fish was cooked just right with a crunchy skin but also - drenched in salt. I ate about a third of it and had to stop. The hamburger and french fries were delicious. For that food, salty is good. We didn't even bother with the side dishes. I wouldn't go back.Special Features:
- poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/8/2013we arrived 15 minutes late and were told we didn't have a reservation. when i showed them my open table confirmation they said we were past the wait limit (for lunch!) and our reservation had been cancelled. They gave us a table next to a service station outside the main dining room ( total siberia!). We then sat for 15 minutes without anyone paying attention. when we finally got a waiter we had to wait another 20 minutes for 2 lunch salads to arrive (I don't want to make it seem like I like to be rushed but this was a business lunch in manhattan and we were both pressed for time). When the order arrived it was completely wrong, neither dish was what we had ordered. Only then did the manager step in and try to make things right.Special Features:
- No "club" in the club sandwichNYCFoodieDined on 5/6/2013My guest and I had the "Power Lunch." I started wit the Jambalya Poppers. They were very good. My entree was the turkey club sandwich. It was NOT a club sandwich at all. It was made with a piece of italian bread, with what looked to be shredded pieces of dark meat turkey, a tomato and some sauce. No bacon. No white meat. No layers of bread. The taste was OK. We both had the apple crumb dessert. Basically some warm apple at the bottom of a crumb pile with a dollop of ice cream on top, served in a bowl. Also, not what we expected. The atmosphere was conducive to business.
- Wonderfully expeditedOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/2/2013We had a tight timeline and 44 was able to pull it off perfectly while maintaining extremely high quality food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing and not worth the $$KasrobVIPDined on 4/22/2013I was surprised at how disappointing the experience was. The setting was kind of like a fancy hotel coffee shop - not very tasteful. The menu was very limited with only a small number of options being offerred on a given night. The service was mediocre at best. For example, we were not provided with the right plates to eat our appetizers, and no bread appeared until the entrees were delivered - and then it was very plain, thin slices of dried up bread, with no butter or olive oil or any accompaniment. Impossible to eat as such. And it was very pricey - I'd not recommend eating there.
- Disappointing and embarrassing.clarkcoDined on 4/16/2013Very disappointing. Not really a restaurant any more. Mostly a bar with little tables and one small room with about five tables for restaurant service on wood tables with only place mats. Salad was a disgrace. We ordered ceasar salads, but we received green red-tipped lettuce with a little cheese; we complained that there was no romaine lettuce as on the menu, but the waiter just walked away. We were able to eat the poor salad, but had no satisfaction from it or from the waiter. The rest was not inspiring, and certainly not worth a positive rating. Salmon was still moist but overdone. Very small serving on mashed potatoes. Dessert was OK, but not worth the price. Our guests from Boston were polite, but we were deeply embarrassed.Special Features:
- Welcoming and invitingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/12/2013The group at Forty Four always makes my clients and I feel welcome and the atmosphere and interior design is very inviting. - Joshua BarnettSpecial Features:
- The service was horrific!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2013The service was horrific! Our server hardly check back on us.
- Hip Nd I didn't know about it???LcedarpointVIPDined on 3/20/2013Great oysters great Mac n cheese balls. Great cocktails. Why had I not found this before???? Service was amazing. Even my 10 year old loved his Shirley temple. Will be backSpecial Features:
- Good for a business breakfast.TammyVIPDined on 3/6/2013Good for a business breakfast. Service was a little slow but otherwise fine.