Fortify Kitchen and Bar
69 N.Main St.
Clayton, GA 30525Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Fortify Kitchen and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.fortifyclayton.com/
- Phone: 7067820050x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday - Saturday: 11:30am-2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jamie Allred
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Fortify is committed to bringing sustainable and locally sourced items to your special gathering! We are available for catering any event needs you may have either in the restaurant or off site. Please call the restaurant for more information and to schedule a meeting.
A word from Fortify Kitchen and Bar
At Fortify Kitchen & Bar, expect great food, delicious cocktails and impeccable service in a comfortable environment. We will always support sustainability in our area by using produce sourced from local small farms and growers, all natural, hormone-antibiotic free meats and proteins, and sustainable seafood sources and give back to the great community we call home!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Fortify Kitchen and Bar - Best Restaurants in Clayton ›
Fortify Kitchen and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
151 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (113)neighborhood gem (85)special occasion (82)hot spot (38)good for groups (31)romantic (30)great for brunch (29)vibrant bar scene (21)notable wine list (21)great for lunch (21)great for outdoor dining (18)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (6)late-night find (4)Show More
- Back room diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014I have eaten at Fortify several times and have always been very pleased with the food and service, however, we were seated in the back room this time and although the food was excellent and the noise level was much better, the service wasn't as good as it had been when seated in the front dining area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentddodgeDined on 9/27/2014I could not have been happier. My vegetarian plate was delicious. I was very impressed and defiantly will be going back.Special Features:
- Very pleasedConnieSueDined on 9/27/2014This was our second visit . One of our diners is vegan and she called the Chef in advance. He prepared a wonderful meal not only for her , but for everyone. This is a wonderful addition to the Rabun County dining experience. We spend our summers here and look forward to many return visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice findSteveVIPDined on 9/26/2014Fortify is a very nice restaurant hidden in the small mountain town of Clayton. Excellent menu choices accompanied by fresh veggies and attentive service. Small and a little crowded, but comfortable. Enjoy the butternut squash soup and the trout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our local "getaway"parentswhodateDined on 9/20/2014We have visited Fortify twice now and have nothing but wonderful things to say about the whole experience. The entire staff is friendly and accommodating. The specials-menu is always interesting and fantastic. They use mostly local ingredients and I feel that it makes a worlds difference in the final product. I believe in using "love" when cooking and Fortify goes above and beyond putting the love in their food. We feel as if we are dining at a luxury restaurant out of town, but thankfully Fortify is our "local getaway". How lucky we are!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodPicky1Dined on 9/18/2014Went online looking for a place for dinner. I found Fortify amount the list. Great find. Food was excellent, atmosphere nice, and staff was great. My wife had the scallops, while she would have preferred them a little more done, the flavor was excellent. I had the filet, cooked to perfection, and very tasty. I would reccommend Fortify for a great meal. One the best meals I've had in a long time.Special Features:
- One of the BestBlackrockDined on 9/16/2014We have enjoyed several visits to Fortify and each meal has been outstanding in presentation and taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW!suendaveDined on 9/16/2014Amazing food is back in Clayton....We loved the Lake Rabun Hotel chef...but then he left and we were sad. But now he is back at Fortify and the food is even better than it was at the LRH. Very creative use of locally grown (generally organic) vegetables and meats. Also has MANY gluten - free options and the best gluten free bread I've ever had in a restaurant anywhere. The menu actually lists whether an item is gluten free or not so you don't have to ask the waiter to ask the chef...makes ordering soooo much easier. Highly recommend! I had the trout, my husband the pork and a friend the filet. All were excellent! We also had the antipasta plate appetizer which was very interesting, our the friend the great fried green tomatoes.Special Features:
- LOVED IT!Happycamper14Dined on 9/13/2014Such a delicious meal! I wanted to order at least four different entire meals. And I honestly think the butternut squash soup was the best I have ever had!Special Features:
- arubaDined on 9/11/2014Fabulous food, nice ambience, terrific service---just one of the best. Celebrated our anniversary--this made for a complete day. We shall be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/6/2014A gem in Clayon, GA. Glad to see some really nice places showing up in Clayton. Fortify in particular is excellent. You could uproot the place and move it down to Buckhead and it would not be out of place. A little on the expensive side, but a really good menu. Don't miss the gouda fritters!Special Features:
- IncredibleSteveDined on 9/5/2014Things are certainly turning around in Northeast Georgia dining. First time to Fortify, but I'll be back many times in the future. Well thought out entrees, great bar cocktails, stylish decor. Very, very enjoyable. Don't miss it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best chef aroundQBunDined on 9/5/2014Jamie is by far the best chef around these parts. Always creative and provides exceptional quality, taste & presentation. Great service from Jack and his staff. Thanks for being consistently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful findHighlighter09Dined on 9/5/2014Recommended by a friend. Decided to try the restaurant for my wife's birthday. Found that it is a wonderful place for dinner, although not around the corner from where we live in the N. Carolina mountains. Food, service and atmosphere was very good. Plan to make this place a habit for dining out as the menu is moderately priced. We really enjoyed our dinner and the small town of Clayton, GA.Special Features:
- Surprise of a gem in Claytonjs2236VIPDined on 9/5/2014Our son had a football game in Clayton and My husband & I were looking for a great restaurant to have a nice dinner before the game. I honestly did not know what we would find in Clayton, but we were very pleasantly surprised by this neighborhood gem. Excellent, creative menu using organic and local, super-fresh ingredients. A true "farm-to-table" experience! If you are ever in Clayton, do yourself a favor and dine at Fortify!!Special Features:
- excellent. service, good foodwildcatDined on 9/3/2014Gave 4 out of 5 because heavy handed on the salt and I like salt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely!!!foodie4lifeDined on 9/2/2014Austin was fantastic! Very attentive!! The food is phenomenal. Definitely a great spot to enjoy fres h local food in a quiet atmos phere. Love how the chef utilizes local produce in EVERY dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Likefood2muchDined on 8/31/2014Great food and atmosphere. Specialty drinks were really good. Everyone is very friendly and attentive. This was our third visit and it was the best so far. We will definitely keep going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as AtlantaRandRVIPDined on 8/30/2014Food was good, service was friendly, décor was reminiscent of the more upscale warehouse feel popular in Atl right now. We’ll be back. We both had the pork tenderloin entrée and they cooked it perfectly to the higher temp we requested, personally pink pork no thanks but that’s just how we prefer it growing up with cooked pork. The BBQ sauce, they should bottle and sell it. Apps were ok, kinda the norm for north GA, maybe let’s try something different than fried tomatoes and fried pimento cheese with raspberry sauce, what is this 1970? Dessert could do with some refinement, but at least they tried to be different here, I had the rice pudding with rhubarb sauce…needed more rhubarb, a much underused vegetable although used as a fruit.Special Features:
- Great food; service lacking.HighlandsdinerDined on 8/30/2014Our food was great, but after reading the week's offerings on line, I knew more about the menu that did our server. She also seemed ignorant of the difference between summer and winter squashes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/30/2014For Clayton, Fortify qualifies as good--by any other standard, it's only fair. Food is trendy--you'll find kale salad. The quality of the ingredients is good, but they are prepared without finesse. The kale salad is tough greens doused with too much Caesar dressing. Also tough--the overdone crab & shrimp cakes, which arrived swimming in gooey sauce with a massive glob of mashed potatoes. It's better than anything else in town, but I expected better.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in ClaytonDriver8Dined on 8/29/2014Clayton, Georgia gets a fantastic dining experience with Fortify. Great ingredients and great preparation along with great service. This is the place to go in North East Georgia if you are a foodie and have gotten used to fine casual dining more common in Charleston, Atlanta, and Asheville. Really nice to see great food in Clayton.Special Features:
- thursday evening'sdinnerfatandhappyDined on 8/28/2014from the cornbread w/ specialty butters to the quail and hawaiian fish my husband and i fought the urge to lick all platters clean! thank you for a wonderful dining experience!Special Features:
- I was FortifiedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Cocktails were awesome Party of four Gluten Intolerant diners were served Yummy Hot Crispy gluten free rolls All the dinners were hot and very tasty. Very nice selection of gluten free entrees. Service was spot on. We recommend going early if you want to talk to your dining partners. It is loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceLoulegzDined on 8/23/2014Fantastic find in northeast Ga. Food selections were quite yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rick GRickGDined on 8/23/2014This is the "go to" place for foodies in the North Georgia mountains. It ranks up there with Cypress in Highlands. We finally got reservations for last Saturday night and we were not disappointed. All veggies are farm to face and the service was excellent. I had the striped bass - a fish you typically don't see south of the Mason-Dixon and the Chef prepared it masterfully. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- farm freshOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014Really enjoyed our farm fresh to table dinner! The dishes had lots of flavor and loved the in house baked breads!Special Features:
- Local ingredients with flair.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/21/2014The food at Fortify is delicious with the added bonus that they use many locally grown or raised ingredients.Special Features:
- Delicious but expensivevacationgolferDined on 8/19/2014The food was delicious but it was over-priced. Our gazpacho for $6 was only a small cup. My main course for $22 consisted of two small shrimp and crab cakes with a small side dish. The home made bread was wonderful but there wasn't enough to satisfy us. We ordered a piece of flour-less chocolate cake to share at $7 for dessert. The serving was really too small to share and feel satisfied. I would only recommend this restaurant to a friend with the caveat that they should expect to pay close to $100 for dinner for two with drinks and appetizers.I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOWFoodieDined on 8/16/2014Great restaurant!!! Quail appetizer was wonderful. Steaks are incredible. Been coming since they opened and keep returning with friends. Everyone more than satisfied. So far everyone that we have introduced to Fortify will return. Dinner menu is always exciting. Owners are friendly and accommodating. Clayton has a fine dining experience now.Special Features:
- Finally!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014It's finally here...a casual upscale restaurant in downtown Clayton! What a blessing! Jack and Jamie have paid attention to every detail. Incredible location, food, cocktails and service. Thank you for giving us somewhere special to relax, be at home and enjoy ourselves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VAtravelerVAtravelerDined on 8/13/2014Great find in north Georgia mountain country. Service is friendly and very professional. Farm to table food fresh and delicious.Special Features:
- Delicious!clm102gaVIPDined on 8/9/2014This restaurant is fantastic! Great service and seriously delicious food. I was very pleased with the whole experience.Special Features:
- LuluDined on 8/9/2014Excellent preparation of vegetables with unique combinations. Meat course prepared perfectlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IdealgirlDined on 8/8/2014A happening place on Main Street in Clayton! Chef Jamie's food is exceptional, creative and uses locally grown products!! Jack and the staff make every effort to provide prompt friendly service. John, our special server, had wonderful suggestions and a wine recommendation that was superb. Haven't tried the steak, which is receiving rave reviews, but the trout dish was great as were the fried green tomatoes topped with a tasty sauce. Other choices on past visits were the scallops and a deicious lamb dish! To our delight, Jamie has retained some of his signature dishes we all have enjoyed previously.Special Features:
- ExcellentluvitDined on 8/2/2014With reservations, we were seated promptly. They were full and having to turn people away without reservations. Upscale casual ambiance with excellent food and service. Four at our table with all ordering something different. Each serving was excellent. Hillary was an exceptional waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodLuv2dineVIPDined on 8/2/2014Make sure to book reservations because this place is a happening place and books up fast. Check out the drink of the week. They have fun drinks along with a good wine list. Once you are seated the Gouda pimento cheese fritters are amazing! Kale Caesar salad is great and something different. We have loved every entree we've tasted. The steak was fabulous, the menu is fresh, done using as much local produce as possible. This is a two thumbs up!!!Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceFortifyDined on 8/2/2014It was a first visit to Fortify. It was a verge good dining experience. We plan to return soon.Special Features:
- Rabun GemRJD1Dined on 8/1/2014This is the best restaurant in Rabun county by far, but also one of the best in Georgia. The Menu has great fresh and inventive selections and the food has been consistently as good as the services.Special Features:
- Long time coming!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2014I have been visiting Clayton for over 20 years and am now a part time resident and we FINALLY have a great place to go for dinner! I have already eaten here twice and both times the service was impeccable and the food fresh & consistent. Not only that, but there are MANY gluten free options making it very easy to choose from many delicious choices (not just the token 1 or 2 items~THANK YOU!). Each entree is served with a choice of one of their 3 fresh veggie sides, all of which are delicious, and these rotate depending on what is fresh & available. Portions are large and even though the ticket price for Clayton might be considered high, it is great value. You will not go home hungry.