Fortify Kitchen and Bar
69 N.Main St.
Clayton, GA 30525Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Fortify Kitchen and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.fortifyclayton.com/
- Phone: 7067820050x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday - Saturday: 11:30am-2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jamie Allred
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Fortify is committed to bringing sustainable and locally sourced items to your special gathering! We are available for catering any event needs you may have either in the restaurant or off site. Please call the restaurant for more information and to schedule a meeting.
A word from Fortify Kitchen and Bar
At Fortify Kitchen & Bar, expect great food, delicious cocktails and impeccable service in a comfortable environment. We will always support sustainability in our area by using produce sourced from local small farms and growers, all natural, hormone-antibiotic free meats and proteins, and sustainable seafood sources and give back to the great community we call home!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Fortify Kitchen and Bar - Best Restaurants in Clayton ›
Fortify Kitchen and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
153 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (119)special occasion (93)neighborhood gem (90)hot spot (47)great for brunch (42)romantic (35)great for lunch (31)good for groups (28)notable wine list (23)great for outdoor dining (21)vibrant bar scene (20)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (6)late-night find (2)Show More
- Delicious but expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/19/2014The food was delicious but it was over-priced. Our gazpacho for $6 was only a small cup. My main course for $22 consisted of two small shrimp and crab cakes with a small side dish. The home made bread was wonderful but there wasn't enough to satisfy us. We ordered a piece of flour-less chocolate cake to share at $7 for dessert. The serving was really too small to share and feel satisfied. I would only recommend this restaurant to a friend with the caveat that they should expect to pay close to $100 for dinner for two with drinks and appetizers.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014It's finally here...a casual upscale restaurant in downtown Clayton! What a blessing! Jack and Jamie have paid attention to every detail. Incredible location, food, cocktails and service. Thank you for giving us somewhere special to relax, be at home and enjoy ourselves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VAtravelerVAtravelerDined on 8/13/2014Great find in north Georgia mountain country. Service is friendly and very professional. Farm to table food fresh and delicious.Special Features:
- Delicious!clm102gaVIPDined on 8/9/2014This restaurant is fantastic! Great service and seriously delicious food. I was very pleased with the whole experience.Special Features:
- LuluDined on 8/9/2014Excellent preparation of vegetables with unique combinations. Meat course prepared perfectlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IdealgirlDined on 8/8/2014A happening place on Main Street in Clayton! Chef Jamie's food is exceptional, creative and uses locally grown products!! Jack and the staff make every effort to provide prompt friendly service. John, our special server, had wonderful suggestions and a wine recommendation that was superb. Haven't tried the steak, which is receiving rave reviews, but the trout dish was great as were the fried green tomatoes topped with a tasty sauce. Other choices on past visits were the scallops and a deicious lamb dish! To our delight, Jamie has retained some of his signature dishes we all have enjoyed previously.Special Features:
- ExcellentluvitDined on 8/2/2014With reservations, we were seated promptly. They were full and having to turn people away without reservations. Upscale casual ambiance with excellent food and service. Four at our table with all ordering something different. Each serving was excellent. Hillary was an exceptional waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodLuv2dineVIPDined on 8/2/2014Make sure to book reservations because this place is a happening place and books up fast. Check out the drink of the week. They have fun drinks along with a good wine list. Once you are seated the Gouda pimento cheese fritters are amazing! Kale Caesar salad is great and something different. We have loved every entree we've tasted. The steak was fabulous, the menu is fresh, done using as much local produce as possible. This is a two thumbs up!!!Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceFortifyDined on 8/2/2014It was a first visit to Fortify. It was a verge good dining experience. We plan to return soon.Special Features:
- Rabun GemRJD1Dined on 8/1/2014This is the best restaurant in Rabun county by far, but also one of the best in Georgia. The Menu has great fresh and inventive selections and the food has been consistently as good as the services.Special Features:
- Long time coming!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2014I have been visiting Clayton for over 20 years and am now a part time resident and we FINALLY have a great place to go for dinner! I have already eaten here twice and both times the service was impeccable and the food fresh & consistent. Not only that, but there are MANY gluten free options making it very easy to choose from many delicious choices (not just the token 1 or 2 items~THANK YOU!). Each entree is served with a choice of one of their 3 fresh veggie sides, all of which are delicious, and these rotate depending on what is fresh & available. Portions are large and even though the ticket price for Clayton might be considered high, it is great value. You will not go home hungry.
- Great place !!RevstjVIPDined on 7/24/2014Everything was great. Clayton has several good places. This is the most gourmet.
- Mr.Hoagie11Dined on 7/23/2014Fantastic food!! Awesome service and great decoration!! We'll be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunch was a great treatLocalFoodieDined on 7/20/2014After enjoying many a tasty dinner at Fortify, we were equally pleased by Sunday brunch there. It was less crowded, so the moderate noise level allowed pleasant conversation -- mostly centered around the creative dishes of local seasonal food. From Jack's creative bar drinks to Jamie's always delightful dishes and desserts, this is a foodie and locavore heaven.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Confusing...PattyDined on 7/18/2014Is it trying to be an upscale bar or a special occasion restaurant. A lot of the patrons seemed to be gathered at the bar. The restaurant is a older building with a lot of hard wood and all noise is amplified. We selected Fortify due to the fact that the menu was eclectic and our daughter is in culinary school and we are constantly trying new things. The food was good extremely overpriced for the portion. The cocktails were nice. If you want to get a good cocktail stop by and order an entree for an appetizer. We may have wanted dessert if offered. Leaving a restaurant hungry is never a good sign. Work on interaction with customers. Thank YouSpecial Features:
- JoanDined on 7/18/2014Excellent food and service! We were celebrating our anniversary and could not hear each other. The restaurant was crowded and we noticed everyone else had to speak loud as well. I could hear the gentleman next to me and not my husband, across from me. I hope they will be able to correct this in the future.Special Features:
- after the river raft tripchelseachelsea2004Dined on 7/18/2014our server was fantastic and looked exactly like a young Sharon stone, the food .. very tasty, filet mignon cooked to perfection...excellent wine list...they had our table of six ready when we walked in...try the chocolate dessertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoudSharonVIPDined on 7/15/2014We went to Fortify expecting the ambience of the Lake Rabun Hotel. It is totally different. We had these expectations because the chef had come from the hotel. While the menu was similar the vibe is totally different. We particularly do NOT enjoy loud restaurants where you must yell to be heard. Unfortunately for us, Fortify is too loud. The restaurant was surprisingly crowded for a Tuesday night. We were thankful we had reservations. Although we will probably give Fortify another chance we will be much pickier about our seating arrangements.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Excellent fresh, locally sourced food. Outstanding service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite placeJoFoDined on 7/6/2014Wonderful fresh-to-table food. Friendly, efficient service. Unique twists on a number of dishes.Special Features:
- Fortify: Best New Thing in Clayton!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/6/2014From the food, to the service, to the cocktails and commitment to using locally sourced products as much as possible -- you really can't go wrong with anything at Fortify. Some of our favorites are the fried green tomatoes, pastrami, fish and chips, and quiche of the day. Sides are unique and tasty. Cocktails are creative and yummy. Support local businesses and farmers while enjoying a fantastic meal all around - can't wait to be back.Special Features:
- FoodDined on 7/6/2014First time will be coming back in mts 2 a month found a new and very good place to eatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was excited at first, but....MissyVIPDined on 7/5/2014Our first few visits were really good. People are very nice. We were excited about having a restaurant of this quality in Clayton. However...it's gone from a "9" to a "6-7". Portion of Antipasto platter cut in half and it's quality went down a bit. Desserts need to be kicked up a notch and maybe have a pastry chef do them. Cobbler mushy. Main course was fine but they (and sides) need to be switched up a and not over cook the fish. Hopefully it was just an "off" 2 times....was hopeful. Fingers crossed it comes back up to where it was.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OrganicAnnDined on 7/4/2014Delicious locally grown food and excellent service with indoor and outdoor dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IrishPatVIPDined on 7/3/2014Excellent food and service. Jack and Jamie have a real winner here. You can't find a better experience anywhere in the Northeast Georgia mountains!Special Features:
- Great food has come to ClaytonThePopeVIPDined on 7/2/2014Fantastic food and great service. Wednesday nights are dedicated to highlighting local farms and the chef prepares a special menu of items that are farm to table. The standard menu is equally interesting and fresh. The cornmeal crusted trout was a standout as was the fried green tomatoes. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Excellent!TheParkersDined on 7/2/2014The food was wonderful! Gouda fritters & fried green tomatoes were delicious, the fish, veggies, burgers, etc were all good and tasted very fresh. Desserts were amazing too! Service was great! It was slower once they got busier, but much better than other restaurants in the area. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fortify Restaurant, Clayton, GAHappytikleDined on 6/29/2014My husband & I were there during Sunday brunch. He is a vegetarian and was delighted with the quiche of the day served with grits. Usually, I do not like the taste of grits, but one bite changed my opinion.....heavenly! They must have been made with heavy cream because they were very rich and almost chewy, like a hominy texture. Absolutely delicious! I had a pastrami sandwich and it was excellent. It far exceeded my expectations. Friends were dining at a nearby table and both couples were equally pleased with their selections, as well. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Locally Sourced FoodBimmyDined on 6/29/2014Fortify shares the names of farms and their products that are in each day's menu. Lettuces were fresh and colorful in my salad. Fried chicken fingers had LOTS of meat and were crunchy on the outside, but a bit overdone. Herbed French fries were not very hot and lacking in herbs - good plain fries tho. My husband and son loved their Fortify breakfast plates and pronounced the biscuits and pancakes to be wonderful. We had a hungry 3- year old with us and our server (Austin, I think) was very attentive to her and suggested a kid's plate of chicken fingers and fries. He was also very attentive without being intrusive to us throughout our meal! Fortify is lovely on the inside and right on the quaint Main St of Clayton.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/29/2014Brunch was amazing! The food was wonderful! Our server, John, was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting Menu, Incredible FoodSammonsHennekeDined on 6/29/2014Very unique menu items with a focus on "farm to table" ingredients. Incredibly delicious food; using seasonings that you would not think to use; creating an end result that is mesmerizing. I can not say enough about this place. We will definitely be back. If you are in the Clayton, GA area or just passing through, you should definitely eat at this place. I would go so far as to say that Fortify Kitchen and Bar is a destination in itself and well worth the drive to Clayton, GA if you are not already in the area. The staff and waiters are very attentive. The restaurant is classy and the atmosphere was relaxed enough that we did not feel out of place in our jeans while on the GA Mountains Farm Tour.Special Features:
- Great Food!AndiDined on 6/29/2014We ate brunch at Fortify and everything we had was delicious! Gouda fritters and fried green tomatoes were some of the best I've had, and the grits were amazing!Special Features:
- Great experiencefinediningsearchersDined on 6/27/2014Learned about Fortify from friends who have a weekend residence near Clayton. Drove 40 miles from Lake Hartwell. Very impressed with the setting. Gluten free selections indicated on menu. Best gin martini in rural Georgia so far. Meal was outstanding. Kale Caesar salad and grit bowl for me; fried green tomato appetizer and fish special were well prepared and tasted great. Plan to add Fortify to our rotation of upscale places to eat in Northeast GeorgiaSpecial Features:
- Great foodmargieDined on 6/25/2014Jamie is a fantastic chef. I feel so fortunate to live only fifteen minutes away from such fine cuisine.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/24/2014Patio was amazing! Ambience was very romantic. Food was phenomenal and the Fortify specialty drinks were incredible. Great place to eat for ANY occasion.Special Features:
- Pleasant, Good Food, Great ServiceFoodLoverDined on 6/24/2014Enjoyable dinner dining experience. Service was outstanding. Food was beautifully presented, and quite good. I had the shrimp and crab cakes, and would have preferred it if it had been crab without the shrimp, as the shrimp overwhelmed and I couldn't really get the 'crab cake experience'. But that might just be me. Peach martini was excellent. There is a choice of 3 vegetable combinations, each sounded great. I had bok choy with carrots and ginger, which which very good. For me this is a great special occasion place, as it is not inexpensive. But, I might try it another time for lunch.Special Features:
- Just what Rabun County NeededbarkingmarmotDined on 6/24/2014What first caught my eye about Fortify was their signage- it stood out from the other shops and restaurants on main street. It looked like it belonged in a city like Decatur or Denver. The website was equally visually appealing and solidified that I wanted to dine there. The decor and style inside is warm and inviting and tastefully put together. I ordered the crab & shrimp cakes and my friend ordered the duck and we both LOVED our meals. I was so excited to see that almost everything on the menu is locally grown or sourced and I recognized many of the names of the farms. The menu has an array of offerings that should please just about any diner and they even offer many gluten free choices. I will be back soon!Special Features:
- This is your lucky day!LBH744Dined on 6/22/2014You won't be disappointed. Creative, imaginative cuisine and it always works. Why? Because the chef and the bartender know what they are doing. Quality ingredients, local and fresh. Attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BRAVO!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Very excited to see the effort and guts to open an ambitious new restaurant in a rural town and pull it off with flying colors. Kudos all around on the buildout, vibe, professionalism, execution and food. Cheers to all team Fortify!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great meal; againfoodloverDined on 6/21/2014This was our third time to visit Fortify in as many weeks, that should speak for itself!Special Features: