Forrester's on the River
26 Main St.
Toledo, OH 43605Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Forrester's on the River
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.forrestersontheriver.com/
- Phone: 4196912626
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Brian Joyce
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Chef Jason Rodemich caters events from 10 - 500 people. Most catering is based in house, but we can come to you. Flexible menu options are available upon request.
- Private Party Facilities: We are available for Rehearsal Dinners, Business Meetings, Private Parties, Weddings and Special Events. CJ's Terrace at the Docks is our Banquet Facility capable of holding up to 300 guests. We also have two conference rooms for smaller events.
- Private Party Contact: Chelsea McQueary 4196912626
- Entertainment: We offer live entertainment every Thursday, Friday and Saturday evening. Bands range from 70's and 80's Classic Rock, to Jazz and Blues Bands inside the restaurant. On the weekends in the summer months we feature live DJ Jim Liebhar.
A word from Forrester's on the River
Thank you for your interest in Forrester's on the River. Forrester's is a casual fine dining restaurant open 7 days a week serving lunch from 11am to 4pm daily. The menu includes a variety of different sandwiches, soups and salads for lunch, diving into succulent steaks, fresh seafood and some lighter fare for the dinner hours. Checkout the best patio in town; featuring a remarkable view of downtown, this is truly unique downtown dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Forrester's on the River - Best Restaurants in Toledo ›
Forrester's on the River reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (34)great for outdoor dining (29)special occasion (20)good for groups (16)romantic (11)hot spot (10)great for lunch (7)neighborhood gem (7)vibrant bar scene (6)notable wine list (5)fit for foodies (5)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- No sun shades? ReallyGailVIPDined on 9/14/2014Had a table for 14. Seated by a very noisy bar even tho there were many empty tables in this large dining area. Sun was in our faces--asked for them to lower the blinds--said they wouldn't go down. Window looking out into the river was dirty--smudged with hand prints. The sun was blinding--mentioned it to the maitre de --no response--didn't offer to move us even tho there were plenty of empty tables. One of the guest's Manhattan drink was a glass of ice, a splash of bourbon and a cherry. Probably will not return when we visit Toledo againSpecial Features:
- Excellent at every levelOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Steaks were great, sides were perfect. Waitstaff were all excellent. Beautiful view of the river and city. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- Horrible dining experienceMommaCATDined on 9/1/2014They were not busy at all but Nobody was at the front counter to seat us, had to wait well over an hour for our food, server didn't keep our drinks filled, fries were cold, burger was hard and dry, ketchup bottle was empty, server disappeared for 15 min. trying to find change so we could cash out..manager apologized and said he would make it right, but when the bill came..not even a slight discount was offered..we will not be returning! Don't eat here! SUPER SLOW SERVICE!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Nice relaxed dinner outside. Food was excellent. Service was very good. Drinks were ok.Special Features:
- romantic, great view of riverLesrDined on 8/16/2014Busy Saturday evening so service was a bit slow. Food was good, but not as good as on previous occasions. Still, overall we had a good time. We were with another couple and we were able to sit outside and have conversation for extended period of time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing View!!slowf3Dined on 8/8/2014From the description I was expecting a larger menu selection in terms of seafood, but everything we had was fantastic. The crab cakes were the best I've had. Perch was delicious and the martini's were top notch. Price was right, with a great view t boot!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatHeartlanderVIPDined on 8/4/2014There were 14 others in the place and drink service still took forever. Food was good, not memorable. Chicken Marsala was 2 thawed frozen breasts, chewy. Sauce was good, would have liked it on both pieces of chicken. Kabobs were just okay, salmon was very dry. Server was pleasant, overall enjoyed sitting outside by the river.Special Features:
- needs more customersOHgrandmaDined on 7/28/2014The food was very good, the atmosphere was very good, but it was depressing that it was so empty. Not as expensive as people seem to fear. Great weekday treat for working adults.Special Features:
- Mediocre at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014I ordered a steak, baked potato w/house salad & my guest a Reuben, steak fries & french onion soup. I found it odd when our bread basket arrived, 3 rolls for 2 people??? & only 2 pats of butter. I asked the waitress for extra butter & she brings out a saucer with 6 pats on it. I thought this was odd but when my meal arrived I was glad she brought so many. My potato arrived with nothing on it, 2 pats of butter & a small cup with maybe a tablespoon of sour cream were on the side. For advertising as a steak house I was very disappointed, the steak was nothing special and I could've made it at home. The reuben looked huge but was deceiving as it was mostly bread. Cheaper/better food elsewhere. However the french onion soup was great!Special Features:
- two for onetwoforoneDined on 7/26/2014Had a great time, first had dinner with my siblings for my sisters birthday, food was excellent as was our server Jenny. Then celebrated my 30th high school reunion on the patio with friends. Only wish the DJ would have played better music. I am not a disco fan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdayJanineVIPDined on 7/19/2014The fish and chips (perch), was excellent. Nice touch to give a discount if you are dining with someone who has a birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food MediocreBIrdieDined on 7/12/2014My experience at Forresters was mediocre at best. The outside patio is great- right on the river, but the food was not good. Not inspiring.
- Best Feature is the ViewLindaLouDined on 7/11/2014Enjoyed a nice dinner seated outside. Glad they take reservations for two. Service was good, but my steak was a far cry from Mancy's. Worst part of the experience was the gas station level restroom.Special Features:
- Friday night at Forrester'sDickFDined on 7/11/2014Food was great, view always magnificent. The indoor restaurant was busy and the outdoor bar was very crowded. Nice to see a successful restaurant in that spot again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, but worth the $$?HillbillyBoaterDined on 7/8/2014My wife and I took the boat out and docked it at the restaurant. The atmosphere was nice. We ate inside as it was quite breezy that night. They had a dj outside playing music which was cool. I had found the restaurant online and checked the menu and when we got there, some of the items were not on the actual menu as they changed it and hadn't updated. I had the BBQ salmon which was great, and let me say the Caprese flatbread appetizer is definitely a reason to return. Bill was $55 with dessert and we don't drink alcohol, so I was a little shocked. The waitress apologized for slower service, said it was crazy busy, even though over half the tables were empty. All in all the food was good and I will prob return for another romantic date.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceBaldbearDined on 7/4/2014Food was great, but we had 13 people & service was lacking due to busy July 4th traffic. Over-all a good time, but Management knew we were coming and should have provide two waiters for the table. I would return.....good time had by all.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/30/2014I've loved this place since it first openend. Found a new favorite dish. The chicken club with a garlic aioli. WonderfulSpecial Features:
- Good foodstewartbennerDined on 6/22/2014The waitress did her best but the book signing/celebration that was going on made service difficult. We waited a long time for our food and I didn't get my soup until after I received my steak. The food was all wonderful except for the chicken pot pie soup which I thought was very salty. We will come again, as I expect most nights will not be like this one. I suspect the service will be much better when there isn't an overflowing event going on at the same time. My wife and two sons (6 and 4 years old) both loved their food as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quite unhappyKimmi22Dined on 6/21/2014We went to Forrester's for my birthday and initially thought it was going to be a great experience- I love the atmosphere. Unfortunately our service was ridiculously slow (it took 20 minutes to get a drink, each time we ordered) and the food for our party of 5 took an hour and 45 minutes! My steak was supposed to be medium rare and came out well done. When I received the remake, THIRTY minutes later everyone had already finished eating and my steak was still overcooked. The restaurant was not busy at all. Very disappointing experience.
- Afterwork diningBuddy3Dined on 6/16/2014We had a party of 10, everyone enjoyed their meals. Burgers, fish & chips, the barge salad, flat bread pizza, the veggie & chicken skewers were nicely presented. Our server was pleasant and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs improvementOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014The food was decent but the portions were small. Service was slow but friendly. The un-acceptable part was the condition of the restrooms. The men's was in need of a good cleaning and the trash was overflowing. The women's according to my wife and her friend was disgusting. No toilet paper in any stalls. There's no need to comment about the other issue's as the no toilet paper will be enough to guarantee we won't be back.Special Features:
- WonderfulLibbyDined on 6/7/2014It use to be, if you wanted a great steak in Toledo, you had to go to Mancy's. NO MORE! Four of us had dinner, three of us had steaks. Two had filet mignon and I had a ribeye. All were perfect! Our other guest had chicken & veggie skewers and she loved her's as well. Portions are healthy too. We asked for a couple of "substitutions" and were accommodated without question. Combine great food, with great service and an excellent view, and you can't go wrong!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoying the afternoon with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/7/2014Great outdoor atmosphere on the river downtown! Food tasted very fresh and was prepared very well, could not have been better.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014Terrible service, had to wait extensively to get our food and then one of our party didn't get her vegetable dish at all. Finally came when most of us were done eating. We were there to celebrate a graduation, so late afternoon before dinner rush. I will never return here again, nor will any other the other 10 other people that were with us.
- Great Food, Slow ServiceNicoleDined on 6/7/2014We had a party of ten following a small, private wedding. Forrester's was a beautiful location and perfect for our small gathering. The food was delicious! The service was incredibly slow. We were the only ones in the restaurant (we got there right at 11:00 when they opened, with reservations) and it took forevvvvver to get our food out to us. Again, great food and atmosphere, just really slow slow service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 76 reviews are from the Forrester's on the River reviews archive.
- Forresterstgc123Dined on 5/31/2014Food was awesome however it took forever for our order to come the app was like30 minutes then waited for salad and finnaly the main course came before we could finish the saladSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Bad serviceWednightpatronDined on 5/28/2014They had the best food around, but couldn't get the server to the table except for ordering and bringing the food to the table. It was not a busy evening at all and we were the only ones in the section that this server had. The manager on duty never came by to ask how our evening was and as we were leaving, he asked if we needed to be seated. So even though we were right next to where he was all night, he had no idea we had already eaten. It was disappointing to have such bad service, because the food was outstanding. Most likely will not go again.Special Features:
- Unimpressive Service and FoodfoodlovinggirlDined on 5/21/2014The servers all seemed to generally toss plates across the table. For a steakhouse, it was disappointing that my order of medium rare was served very rare. The garlic mashed potatoes were more like sticky rice in texture. The grilled asparagus, however, was wonderful! And the view on the patio was gorgeous!Special Features:
- Great Night OutwolfegangDined on 5/17/2014My wife and I had a casual night out. She ordered the shrimp and steak skewers, and I had the chicken marsala. Both we very good dinners with the right amount of meat and rice, but a little shy on the vegetables, although they were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening!L4L2014Dined on 5/17/2014My family and I celebrated my graduation with dinner at Forrester's. The food was perfect and absolutely delicious!! Our server was very attentive and made sure we were happy. The restaurant and menu was kid friendly. The best part was my view of the beautiful Maumee River!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shocked at such bad serviceada2014Dined on 5/17/2014We were sat 15 min after our reservation even with no other people waiting and an empty restaurant. Once sat we waited another 10 min for any waitstaff to acknowledge our table. Once drink and food orders were taken we were told fresh rolls in the oven would be just be a few minutes longer. Server came back 3 times to tell us they were still baking and that our food would be out any minute ... rolls came out frozen solid in the middle. Food orders each came out with wrong vegetable sides and when he returned with the ordered vegetables they were cold and hard not steamed at all. Spent 3 hrs and almost $200 before tip for 4 people. Asked to speak with management and server just brought us the bill . We wont be back.
- Great view, nice atmospherejulieannDined on 5/11/2014We have enjoyed coming to Foresters. The food is very good and the atmosphere is very inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most unusualbizarreexperienceDined on 5/10/2014Arrived 30 minutes early for a 7:30 reservation reservation to have a drink. At 740 we were told they were not seating anyone as kitchen was behind. Many empty tables still open Service at bar was extremely slow and poor. Checked in two more times and at 810 asked to talk to manager. And watched as a group who had arrived just minutes earlier and clearly knew some staff employees was taken to a table and seated. Finaly seated at 815. NEVER received any resemblance of an apology from manager or reception staff. After that, service and food was average. ..nothing special and NOT worth a repeat visit.
- Good NightAllieBDined on 5/9/2014The menu was very varied with lots to choose from. Our server was fantastic, very friendly and giving advice when needed and attentive without being too much.Special Features:
- ~Girl's Night Out~worldtravelerDined on 5/9/2014Food was good~Service was good...bartender/waiter was very helpful!Special Features:
- TerriblOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/4/2014It is called a steak house. It is not. My strip was way over cooked. Her file was also over cooked. Tastless and not juicy. We havve been there in the past when the previose owner ran it and thne steaks weref good. Cousinos is one of several steak houses thatbr excellant. Sorry to see him lose it. Will go to his place on Woodville rd. will not be back to Forresters
- fantastic graduation lunch!chyeabyrd03Dined on 5/3/2014I had a group of 12 people for my graduation lunch that I booked at 1:15. I also had people with me who are very picky eaters. They let me move my reservation to 2 pm without a fuss. When we got there we were promptly seated and they gave us the dinner menu with no fuss because we wanted more of a variety. They had a great alcohol selection and they made my pomegranate martini perfect. The food was served at perfect intervals. All the steaks were perfect and my seafood Portofino was amazing! If you're looking for a great place to celebrate a special occasion you should definitely go here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnertooshayDined on 4/24/2014We picked this restaurant for a birthday without ever having been there before. The food was very good and our table looked out on the water. Excellent wait staff. Adult patrons. Quiet. All in all a romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014great food selection. we come there for the Easter buffet.Special Features:
- Easter Brunch 2014MrFremontDined on 4/20/2014We had six of my family memebers attend your Easter brunch and everyone was totally satsfied with the variety and quality of food selections. We ewre siited promptly and had a great view of the river and downtown Toledo. Definiotely a repeat for next year. Some things to consider: You may want to consider adding shrimp cocktail and another carving station for beef. I was at Manhattan's in 2013 and they featured both of these items in their brunch which was $2 less than what you charged. However there faciklities were not as comfortable. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.