Fornos of Spain
47 Ferry St.
Newark, NJ 07105Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $31 to $50
Fornos of Spain
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.fornosrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9735894767
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:30,
Friday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm,
Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cigar Room, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have private rooms available for a minimum of 20 people and a maximum of 86 people. Also, we have party luncheon menus from Monday through Fridays until 3 pm and dinner party menus from Monday through Sundays. Saturdays we only do parties from 12 noon to 5:00 pm.
A word from Fornos of Spain
Welcome to Fornos of Spain Restaurant located on the Iron Bound in Newark, NJ. Fornos of Spain has been bestowed numerous awards and proclaimed by various national magazines as a "must" when dining out in New Jersey. Our award winning Spanish cuisine is prepared with the freshest seafood of Spain. Our extensive wine cellars offer over 450 aged and vintage wines and has the rarest collections of Spanish wines in the United States.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Fornos of Spain reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (51)special occasion (40)fit for foodies (38)neighborhood gem (32)romantic (20)great for lunch (20)notable wine list (17)kid-friendly (11)great for outdoor dining (9)hot spot (9)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (3)Show More
- A Newark treasureOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Amazing Iberian dining experience in the heart of Newark. Outstanding service and reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JaneDined on 10/15/2014Real old school restaurant with an excellent wait staff. The lunch menu had a great range of selections. The four of us enjoyed what we ordered and there was no rush to get us out. All in all an excellent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/11/2014Food was great, however a one hour wait for dinner with a reservation is unacceptable. Apparently they regularly over book tables, which is extremely problematic when you have tickets to the Prudential Center! Plan to make your reservation an hour before you want to sit, then spend the time at the bar.
- Awful ExperienceStayAwayDined on 10/11/2014We arrived @ 5:15 for our 5:30 reservation, we were given a buzzer and were told it the table will be ready in a few minutes. Fast forward to 7PM we were still waiting so we left because we were going to a show @ 8PM.The establishment had total disregard for us and all the other folks they overbooked. This was a business event which embarrassed me in front of these clients. I will never step foot or recommend this restaurant again. This restaurant is strictly a MONEY GRAB establishment!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014I have been to Fornos a thousand times and am never disappointed. Ironbound Newark is wonderful.Special Features:
- Great Old World Spanish FoodJSP2GVDined on 10/9/2014Forno's of Spain is a Staple in the Ironbound area. It's a sure hit and plenty of parking for the location. The staff was great. The food was even betterSpecial Features:
- A Newark legend for good reasonJerseyGuyDined on 10/9/2014My wife and I enjoyed the wide selection of dishes available and ultimately settled for Veal in a white wine sauce; excellent choice. The service was attentive and smooth, seeming to anticipate our needs at the moment. I look forward to returning and sampling more of the fare.Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014Consistent and delicious food. Have the Paella. Garlic shrimp was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewFornos6OctDined on 10/6/2014Recently had dinner at Fornos. The food was excellent and plentiful, but it took quite some time for our meal to arrive after ordering (40 minutes or more). Otherwise, pretty good, a bit on the spendy side.Special Features:
- Always good eatingDank1224Dined on 10/6/2014I have been there a few times now. It is one of my girlfriends favorite places to go. I always enjoy the food there and the sangria is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gctexazDined on 10/4/2014We had 12 in our group and every plate was outstanding! The presentation and taste was delightful. The manager was very hospitable and made us feel welcome. We plan on going back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingnaturalFoodieDined on 10/2/2014The food was great, the service was amazing. My date night surprise was a success. I'm a foodie and he's a picky eater but this left him speechless and stuffed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ironbound ExpeienceRonRDined on 9/28/2014Heard about this restaurant from a friend. First visit . Great dining experience. Everyone on staff beginning with the parking lot attendant was very nice and professional. Had drink at the bar before dinner. Drinks are generous and served with some tapas. Atmosphere is vibrant. I will return.Special Features:
- Fornos of Spain - good diningWordster134Dined on 9/28/2014Had dinner there last Sunday night. had 6 PM reservations. We were seated immediately. A basket of good bread and garlic toast and olives was brought right away (nice touch). Service was attentive and prompt. Although the extensive menu looked a bit pricey at first (all entrees we $25-$35), but the portions were massive! You were actually buying two meals if you took home your leftovers. I ordered the broiled veal chop with mushroom gravy, my wife had the chicken and shrimp Francese, and my son ordered the veal chop Milanese. The food was delicious; served with family style green salad (great house dressing), Spanish Rice and a mixed vegetable dish. All in all it was a very pleasant experience and would go there again.Special Features:
- KhonnaDined on 9/28/2014When booking our reservation for 6 last Sunday night I mentioned that we would be celebrating a birthday in our group and would be leaving for a nearby Devils hockey game after dinner in the comments section of Open Table. Since we were surrounded by tables with staff serenading Happy Birthday I never thought I had to ask again. I was wrong. We ordered dessert and no one on the staff recognized our birthday and so we ended up singing on our own. Not a big deal, but a memorable flaw for a lovely dinner celebration.Special Features:
- Service could be more attentiveClarkDined on 9/24/2014Food was great and plenty of staff. But they are all walking around and no one payid attention. I sta for 10 min before flagging a bus boy to get a drink. No menus until I asked for them. Yes I was waiting for my date sitting alone but still. When she arrived...yep plenty of attention I guess for obvious reasons. But food was outstanding its just if the service was better it would be an overall great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spanish food at NewarkMPSnoopyDined on 9/21/2014We chose this place since we were looking for a nice restaurant for dinner before flying out from Newark Airport. The food was excellent. The spanish omlet was much larger than we expected, and we had to take most of it home to keep room for the main dish. (It became my breakfast for the next morning.) The paellla was full of seafood. The parking service was also excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- joanneDined on 9/20/2014The food and service once we sat down was good. The reason I rated "fair" for service is that we had reservations for 6 at 6:30pm. One friend was 10 mins. late but everyone else was there from 6:15 pm or earlier waiting at the bar. We told them we were all there several times but we still weren't seated until 7:25pm when they opened up another section of the restaurant. Why make a reservation if you have to wait that long? We didn't get an answer. Spent a lot of money waiting at the bar. No explanation or anything. Still spent almost $500 with tip. It wasn't the waiters fault.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food; Great Resturantlarryp21Dined on 9/20/2014A friend of ours recommended Fornos of Spain to us. It was outstanding. The service was great and the food was delicious. I ordered the Paella Valenciana. Best paella I have eaten. I definitely recommend going there. My family and I will definitely be returning and we will tell our friends of the great service and food Fornos of Spain provided.Special Features:
- Spain in NewarksoccerrefDined on 9/18/2014We have been to Fornos of Spain on many occasions and are always delighted with the energy of the restaurant and the quality of the food. On this trip we were with out of town guests who thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I'm always amazed that the menu is massive, yet all dishes ordered are always top notch.The wine list is very extensive as is the 'wine by the glass' offerings. Always a plus for me. My only negative comment is that it was freeeeeezing inside on this occasion.Special Features:
- Great All AroundOldfoodyDined on 9/16/2014Fornos is a great all around restaurant. Food is consistently well prepared. Service is always good. I have been going there for many years and have never had a bad meal or complaint. Paella is always a reliable standby and there is a tremendous variety on the menu. The sangria is wonderful. We have taken out of town guests there and everyone has enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First class in all waysBeachRickDined on 9/16/2014OpenTable transmitted wrong seat count so seating delayed. But all else, from decor, ambiance including great crowd, menu choices, pro servers, delicious and size able dishes...overseen by quiet and suites managers...FIRST CLASS. Price was reasonable and good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful RestaurantNancyDined on 9/7/2014I've been to this restaurant before, this is why I chose to celebrate a (very) Belated Father's Day, as well as Belated Birthday dinner here for my dad with my brothers. The food and ambiance was great, but the service was off this particular evening. The wait staff was a bit rushed and seemed annoyed with serving us. They would reach onto the table to grab glasses or put down plates nearly hitting or startling everyone. Just a bit off then it normally is...less friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodMMKTVIPDined on 9/5/2014Fornos of Spain never fails to have fabulous food and great service. Whether its seafood, steaks, or Spanish fare, you won't go wrong at Fornos.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood restaurantpeptoitVIPDined on 9/2/2014Arrived for a 6:45pm reservation and we were promptly greeted and seated. Waite staff were prompt and made us aware of specials. Our order was taken and food was out within 10 min. Presentation was awesome and the food did not disappoint. Good place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sliding downlsharnVIPDined on 8/30/2014I have been eating at Fornos for 10+ years and their quality has gone down lately. Greatly disappointedSpecial Features:
- Great food and funLeefromVADined on 8/19/2014Great food as always. Fun atmosphere. I like that everything "comes with the meal" and you are not hit up for sides, salad, etc. A must if visiting Newark.Special Features:
- great place to celebrate anniv.CharyLexxDined on 8/18/2014Food was great, the service was great! My husband and I will highly recommend to family and friends..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fornos of SpainOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014I have been to Fornos 3 times and still I am impressed by the service and of course the food. I still cannot finish the Paella Valenciana; I will continue trying. Thank you for a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than I expectedKaileenDined on 8/11/2014I've eaten here before and wasn't blown away. But I was meeting a friend for lunch who only eats fish and vegetables so I figured this was a good choice. This time the food was really good and the service was good, too. I was pleasantly surprised.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meet and GreetOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014I would just like to say that Fornos of Spain was an excellent restaurant for our law firms meet and greet. The food and service were outstanding. It has already been recommended for other special occasions. This was a great experience and will be done again.Special Features:
- Mediocre foodgoldie1209Dined on 8/2/2014very disappointing. Used to be a favorite of mine but the food was tired and somewhat bland
- Worth the tripElaineTDined on 7/31/2014Our party traveled over an hour to get to Forno's. It was so worth it!!! We we never rushed, Escobar, our waiter was so helpful and attentive, and the meal was outstanding! We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PaulieDined on 7/27/2014The food is superb and the service is in the tradition of excellent European restaurants and it starts with the private and monitored parking lot. The staff is superbly trained and you want for nothing and they anticpate your needs. A huge menu with lots of seafood and dishes like octopus boiled in olive oil with paprika that Fornos does so well with a welcome extra of boiled potatoes. Wine list is excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Post Prudential PaellaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014I have been to Fornos plenty of times over the years, but only recently started taking my kids there. We hit Fornos after a couple events at the Prudential center and it was great. I made my reservations on Open Table from my seat during the show and when we got to Fornos, they were waiting for us. This last time we were there with a group of 7 and they were very accommodating. The Food is always great! Menu is big, so put in some time online before you go to speed things up. They have off-street parking which is tough to find in that neighborhood, so that makes things even easier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Classic Spanish RestaurantOTFanDined on 7/24/2014As always, the service was excellent and attentive. Our waiter, a veteran at the restaurant, recommended three dishes for sharing. The food was excellent and well presented. Extras that the restaurant provides such salad, bread, and an aperitif were much appreciated by my guests. A good place for a business dinner where one can speak and be heard.Special Features:
- I have never seen so much food!KellyIVIPDined on 7/24/2014I visited this restaurant on the recommendation of my hotel when staying in Newark recently. The food was great and they are very generous with their wine pours! But make sure you are hungry. They start you off with a large house salad and then when your dinner comes, they bring lots of extra sides. I have never seen so much food for one person!Special Features:
- Great PlaceNemaDined on 7/23/2014I have eaten there about three times in a month. Lunch and dinner, Food was delicious and plenty. Service was phenomenal. Drinks are kind the pricey for lunch hours. Coffee was really bad. It tasted bitter and it was old. Everything else was fantastic. I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceAndyVIPDined on 7/20/2014Tonight was our first experience at Forno's. We have been to several Ironbound Spanish Restaurants and I would have to say that this is one of the best. Our waiters were awesome and the food was top notch. We sat and ordered a pitcher of red Sangria and it had a dry and tasty finish. It wasn't sweet like I was used to but I thoroughly enjoyed their recipe. For dinner, I had Mariscada al Forno, which was a paella with a slightly spicy tomato sauce. It was full of flavor and was super good. My wife had the Enchilado which was shrimp in a roasted tomato sauce. That had such a great taste, that I hate half of her dinner after I ate mine. I would definately recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- Worth the time and moneyMomof2Dined on 7/11/2014Don't plan on eating and running. Give yourself time to be spoiled and to enjoy your meal. We went to a concert right after eating. We took our teenage daughters for a special night and they all enjoyed the service and the food. Although I wouldn't recommend it for repeat kid visits - its nice for that special occasion. We always look for opportunities to make a dinner trip to the restuarant...it's so convenient from the train station there is no reason not to go!Special Features: