Fornos of Spain
47 Ferry St.
Newark, NJ 07105Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $31 to $50
Fornos of Spain
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.fornosrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9735894767
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:30,
Friday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm,
Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cigar Room, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have private rooms available for a minimum of 20 people and a maximum of 86 people. Also, we have party luncheon menus from Monday through Fridays until 3 pm and dinner party menus from Monday through Sundays. Saturdays we only do parties from 12 noon to 5:00 pm.
A word from Fornos of Spain
Welcome to Fornos of Spain Restaurant located on the Iron Bound in Newark, NJ. Fornos of Spain has been bestowed numerous awards and proclaimed by various national magazines as a "must" when dining out in New Jersey. Our award winning Spanish cuisine is prepared with the freshest seafood of Spain. Our extensive wine cellars offer over 450 aged and vintage wines and has the rarest collections of Spanish wines in the United States.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpanish
Fornos of Spain - Best Restaurants in Newark ›
Fornos of Spain reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (53)special occasion (40)fit for foodies (34)neighborhood gem (30)great for lunch (18)romantic (17)notable wine list (15)great for outdoor dining (10)kid-friendly (8)hot spot (6)great for brunch (4)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Spain in NewarksoccerrefDined on 9/18/2014We have been to Fornos of Spain on many occasions and are always delighted with the energy of the restaurant and the quality of the food. On this trip we were with out of town guests who thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I'm always amazed that the menu is massive, yet all dishes ordered are always top notch.The wine list is very extensive as is the 'wine by the glass' offerings. Always a plus for me. My only negative comment is that it was freeeeeezing inside on this occasion.Special Features:
- Great All AroundOldfoodyDined on 9/16/2014Fornos is a great all around restaurant. Food is consistently well prepared. Service is always good. I have been going there for many years and have never had a bad meal or complaint. Paella is always a reliable standby and there is a tremendous variety on the menu. The sangria is wonderful. We have taken out of town guests there and everyone has enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First class in all waysBeachRickDined on 9/16/2014OpenTable transmitted wrong seat count so seating delayed. But all else, from decor, ambiance including great crowd, menu choices, pro servers, delicious and size able dishes...overseen by quiet and suites managers...FIRST CLASS. Price was reasonable and good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful RestaurantNancyDined on 9/7/2014I've been to this restaurant before, this is why I chose to celebrate a (very) Belated Father's Day, as well as Belated Birthday dinner here for my dad with my brothers. The food and ambiance was great, but the service was off this particular evening. The wait staff was a bit rushed and seemed annoyed with serving us. They would reach onto the table to grab glasses or put down plates nearly hitting or startling everyone. Just a bit off then it normally is...less friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodMMKTVIPDined on 9/5/2014Fornos of Spain never fails to have fabulous food and great service. Whether its seafood, steaks, or Spanish fare, you won't go wrong at Fornos.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood restaurantpeptoitVIPDined on 9/2/2014Arrived for a 6:45pm reservation and we were promptly greeted and seated. Waite staff were prompt and made us aware of specials. Our order was taken and food was out within 10 min. Presentation was awesome and the food did not disappoint. Good place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sliding downlsharnVIPDined on 8/30/2014I have been eating at Fornos for 10+ years and their quality has gone down lately. Greatly disappointedSpecial Features:
- Great food and funLeefromVADined on 8/19/2014Great food as always. Fun atmosphere. I like that everything "comes with the meal" and you are not hit up for sides, salad, etc. A must if visiting Newark.Special Features:
- great place to celebrate anniv.CharyLexxDined on 8/18/2014Food was great, the service was great! My husband and I will highly recommend to family and friends..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fornos of SpainOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014I have been to Fornos 3 times and still I am impressed by the service and of course the food. I still cannot finish the Paella Valenciana; I will continue trying. Thank you for a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than I expectedKaileenDined on 8/11/2014I've eaten here before and wasn't blown away. But I was meeting a friend for lunch who only eats fish and vegetables so I figured this was a good choice. This time the food was really good and the service was good, too. I was pleasantly surprised.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meet and GreetOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014I would just like to say that Fornos of Spain was an excellent restaurant for our law firms meet and greet. The food and service were outstanding. It has already been recommended for other special occasions. This was a great experience and will be done again.Special Features:
- Mediocre foodgoldie1209Dined on 8/2/2014very disappointing. Used to be a favorite of mine but the food was tired and somewhat bland
- Worth the tripElaineTDined on 7/31/2014Our party traveled over an hour to get to Forno's. It was so worth it!!! We we never rushed, Escobar, our waiter was so helpful and attentive, and the meal was outstanding! We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PaulieDined on 7/27/2014The food is superb and the service is in the tradition of excellent European restaurants and it starts with the private and monitored parking lot. The staff is superbly trained and you want for nothing and they anticpate your needs. A huge menu with lots of seafood and dishes like octopus boiled in olive oil with paprika that Fornos does so well with a welcome extra of boiled potatoes. Wine list is excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Post Prudential PaellaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014I have been to Fornos plenty of times over the years, but only recently started taking my kids there. We hit Fornos after a couple events at the Prudential center and it was great. I made my reservations on Open Table from my seat during the show and when we got to Fornos, they were waiting for us. This last time we were there with a group of 7 and they were very accommodating. The Food is always great! Menu is big, so put in some time online before you go to speed things up. They have off-street parking which is tough to find in that neighborhood, so that makes things even easier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Classic Spanish RestaurantOTFanDined on 7/24/2014As always, the service was excellent and attentive. Our waiter, a veteran at the restaurant, recommended three dishes for sharing. The food was excellent and well presented. Extras that the restaurant provides such salad, bread, and an aperitif were much appreciated by my guests. A good place for a business dinner where one can speak and be heard.Special Features:
- I have never seen so much food!KellyIVIPDined on 7/24/2014I visited this restaurant on the recommendation of my hotel when staying in Newark recently. The food was great and they are very generous with their wine pours! But make sure you are hungry. They start you off with a large house salad and then when your dinner comes, they bring lots of extra sides. I have never seen so much food for one person!Special Features:
- Great PlaceNemaDined on 7/23/2014I have eaten there about three times in a month. Lunch and dinner, Food was delicious and plenty. Service was phenomenal. Drinks are kind the pricey for lunch hours. Coffee was really bad. It tasted bitter and it was old. Everything else was fantastic. I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceAndyVIPDined on 7/20/2014Tonight was our first experience at Forno's. We have been to several Ironbound Spanish Restaurants and I would have to say that this is one of the best. Our waiters were awesome and the food was top notch. We sat and ordered a pitcher of red Sangria and it had a dry and tasty finish. It wasn't sweet like I was used to but I thoroughly enjoyed their recipe. For dinner, I had Mariscada al Forno, which was a paella with a slightly spicy tomato sauce. It was full of flavor and was super good. My wife had the Enchilado which was shrimp in a roasted tomato sauce. That had such a great taste, that I hate half of her dinner after I ate mine. I would definately recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- Worth the time and moneyMomof2Dined on 7/11/2014Don't plan on eating and running. Give yourself time to be spoiled and to enjoy your meal. We went to a concert right after eating. We took our teenage daughters for a special night and they all enjoyed the service and the food. Although I wouldn't recommend it for repeat kid visits - its nice for that special occasion. We always look for opportunities to make a dinner trip to the restuarant...it's so convenient from the train station there is no reason not to go!Special Features:
- ontheroadDined on 7/9/2014Excellent restaurant to dine with group of friends, co-workers or with a loved one. I have been to this restaurant many times and I'm never disappointed. The food is excellent and generous portions. The after dinner liquor on the house tops it all! Visit Fornos of Spain and you'll not be disappointed.Special Features:
- RushedSueSDined on 7/2/2014Felt a little rushed. We were late due to bad storm and traffic on highway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old World CharmTonyDined on 6/28/2014From the beautiful entrance to the friendly greeting, you know this place is special. Warm atmosphere, attentive and friendly staff coupled with a mix of people and cultures with a relaxed vibe, makes Fornos a place to be. Food that makes you savor it, staff that want you to enjoy and top-notch wines add up to an experience, right in Ironbound.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Staff were great.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/26/2014Went here before a concert at Prudential Center. Had only been here one other time with a large group. We ordered a pitcher of sangria and three appetizers to share. Didn't realize you couldn't just order appetizers in the dining room, but waiter was gracious and let us stay anyway. Food was just as good as we remembered and portions were HUGE - tons were put back in the car and brought home. Will be back!Special Features:
- Client DinnerJeffJDined on 6/25/2014As a salesperson, I enjoy getting to know a client over a meal. My challenge earlier this week was to find suitable place to entertain in Newark. Thank goodness for Fornos. It's a little old school, but that's part of its charm. The food was better than solid and the wait staff was professional and attentive with just the right amount of warmth. The offer of a complimentary glass of port at the end of the meal was nice touch. For a business meal or a family function, I recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/25/2014Appetizer was fabulous. Portions were huge. Neither of us was impressed with our entreesSpecial Features:
- AuthenticOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/23/2014The meal was fantastic, but the whole night was made by our excellent waiter, who not only made recommendations but gave us stories from Spain that just made everything cool.Special Features:
- the experienceimpressedDined on 6/21/2014first time customers, our group selected Forno's based on reputation and found excellent food, a good wine selection, attentive service and a friendly atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappysbDined on 6/20/2014I really enjoyed the service, food and ambience at Fornos, where I went on Friday for a late lunch with a friend that I don't see often. The red sangria was great, as was our salad, and garlic shrimp appetizer, and my lemom sole in a butter sause (Franchise). The rice wnd chips were more than we could eat and everything was great! Fornos is pricey, so I would only do it for special occassions, but well worth the experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dm2633VIPDined on 6/19/2014while the service is fantastic, and the rest of my party loved their food (especially the sausage), forno's vegetarian selection is really poor. The vegetarian paella is awful. I've had great veg paella in Barcelona and at various restaurants in NYC. It can be done, the chefs just need to make an effort to learn how to make it better. It also wouldn't hurt to have one or two more vegetarian selections in the starters (not just salad).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will definitely go back!luvfoodDined on 6/18/2014Although there was a very large motorcycle rally in town that evening which made the restaurant a bit chaotic and very crowded the service and food was still great. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BelleDined on 6/18/2014We chose Fornos of Spain for its proximity to Newark Airport and Newark Penn Station because we were meeting someone on their way to NYC. The restaurant was a find! As soon as we were seated, we were served with a basket of rolls and a large salad. When our dinners came, we were also given rice, green beans and chips served family style. Our entree portions were huge and were soooo good! The servers were attentive but did not rush us. This was our first time at Fornos and we were a little apprehensive about the $$$ in the review. It is a little pricey but the quality and quantity of the food is worth it! We only wish the restaurant was closer to home as we travelled an hour to get there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't Go Wrong!BoomerVIPDined on 6/18/2014This is one of my favorites in Newark - and great for groups. The food and service us simply great!Special Features:
- Nice alternativeSkipDined on 6/15/2014Fornos is a different dining experience, typically used for a special occasion, date, or prior to attending an event in the immediate area. I would say that the parking, although valet can become a problem [wait times for getting your vehicle] but a nice place for a special evening and dining experience.Special Features:
- A good eveningtravelingman1Dined on 6/12/2014This is the 3rd/4th time I've been to Fornos sometimes for lunch and sometimes for dinner. This particular visit was for dinner. I would say, compared to previous meals, this was a competent presentation, but not as outstanding as previous occasions. There was a special avocado appetizer that was delicious. The grilled chorizo was good, but I probably wouldn't choose again. The paella was similarly good, but not as good as I have had elsewhere. They have a Portuguese version that is better than this Spanish version. The wine list is comprehensive, although a bit challenging in terms of the categorization of the wines, so if you can't find what you want, you need to ask. Portuguese or Spanish improves the ordering experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingFatsoDined on 6/10/2014Magnificent food and great service in a Spanish setting..........Like being in SpainSpecial Features:
- GmoneyDined on 6/6/2014Always very consistent when it comes to my favorite dish Veal Siciliana.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014We were a group of 8 gentleman for lunch. Food great, service great, experience great. Every one was happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and Great FoodBullDined on 6/3/2014First time but will not be the last. Great dining experience with a client. We had seven in our party, appetizers were great and everyone's food came out together. Drinks never were empty!Special Features:
- The following 162 reviews are from the Fornos of Spain reviews archive.