Fornos of Spain
47 Ferry St.
Newark, NJ 07105Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $31 to $50
Fornos of Spain
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.fornosrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (973) 589-4767
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:30,
Friday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm,
Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cigar Room, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have private rooms available for a minimum of 20 people and a maximum of 86 people. Also, we have party luncheon menus from Monday through Fridays until 3 pm and dinner party menus from Monday through Sundays. Saturdays we only do parties from 12 noon to 5:00 pm.
A word from Fornos of Spain
Welcome to Fornos of Spain Restaurant located on the Iron Bound in Newark, NJ. Fornos of Spain has been bestowed numerous awards and proclaimed by various national magazines as a "must" when dining out in New Jersey. Our award winning Spanish cuisine is prepared with the freshest seafood of Spain. Our extensive wine cellars offer over 450 aged and vintage wines and has the rarest collections of Spanish wines in the United States.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpanish
Fornos of Spain - Best Restaurants in Newark ›
Fornos of Spain reviews from OpenTable diners
89 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (58)special occasion (50)fit for foodies (44)neighborhood gem (38)great for lunch (26)romantic (25)notable wine list (20)hot spot (12)kid-friendly (11)late-night find (10)great for outdoor dining (7)vibrant bar scene (6)great for brunch (5)Show More
- Solid...justokaug2014Dined on 11/17/2014All of the food was very fresh & well done. Lobsters were awesome & good value. A nice atmosphere, very attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!njladyDined on 11/14/2014My family and I have been coming here for over 34 years and we never fail to have a wonderful meal with lots of leftovers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/10/2014Forno's is an outstanding restaurant with great food and atmosphere; good for small or large parties. It's a landmark destination in the Portuguesse section of the City of Newark NJ's Ironbound area of the City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceBoomerVIPDined on 11/5/2014This is by far one of my favorite places to dine when in Newark - which is often. The food and service is great and I have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fornos of Spain a real gemRobluvs2eatDined on 11/5/2014This restaurant has awesome food. A great meal every time I come here. Easy reservations with open table. No waiting, sat as soon as we entered. Great place, on the expensive side but well worth it.Special Features:
- Love this place!anieroseDined on 11/2/2014Been here twice, food does I tell you again does not disappoint! If your in the neighborhood plz check it out! One of the best Spanish Restaurant in Ironbound. :)Special Features:
- YummmFornosDined on 10/31/2014The food is consistently awesome and the service can't be beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!NettieV2Dined on 10/31/2014We absolutely love going to Fornos with its rich assorted menu aimed to please the pickiest eater. Although a bit pricey, but the portions are anything but small and come with hefty sides. The service is exquisite, they always manage to make you feel special. If you love Spanish cuisine and seafood, Fornos Of Spain is the place to eat!Special Features:
- When your very hungryAaron1940Dined on 10/30/2014Huge portions of quality food well prepared. Extensive menu. Complementry garlic bread and salad. Wonderful Sangria with a kick. Excellent wait service. Room was exessively loud. Very difficult for conversation. Free parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ladiez night outChurchDined on 10/25/2014I have been there before with my sisters and family several times years ago. Our Women's Ministry Group from church always pick a night out so I said Fornos they loved it and we will be back again some said a little pricey but overall it was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fornos of SpainAnneDined on 10/21/2014I have been to this restaurant several times for business lunches and dinners. We had a dinner meeting early this week and several people from NYC attended. They were very impressed and had no idea such a restaurant existed in Newark. We will continue to patronize this restaurant as the food and service are always impeccable.Special Features:
- I love this restaurant.Eatwell2dayVIPDined on 10/20/2014I've been to Formos once for lunch and once for dinner and both times it was great. I love that they bring out a salad, bread and olives to start on right away and the entres are fabulous. I have the seafood and lobster in a spicy (not terribly) tomato sauce and it was terrific. I can't wait to go back to Newark for work so I can head to Fornos again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShellyDined on 10/19/2014We were a party of six for an early Sunday dinner. The food was delicious and plentiful . The service was impeccable! The staff was very attentive.....Bravo ! We will be return! A winner every time!Special Features:
- Enjoy this fine/casual dining spotMikeEDined on 10/17/2014Business traveling for over 30 years, I've been to many restaurants across the country. I had been to Fornos of Spain several times. I flew in to the area from Chicago with this restaurant on my "must take my wife here" list. My wife is a gourmet cook and very finicky. Fornos did not disappoint. From the ambiance to the service, all was as I remembered. All male wait staff. Dining begins with salad, bread/rolls and olives. The menu is still huge and contains things not to be found elsewhere. I had Callos (tripe) and my wife the Mariscada Fornos (lobster and shellfish in spiced tomato sauce). Sides were sauted mixed vegtables, 2 rice dishes and potato chips. Everything was incredible. And an outstanding wine list rounds it out. 5 stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Newark treasureDoIReturnDined on 10/17/2014Amazing Iberian dining experience in the heart of Newark. Outstanding service and reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JaneDined on 10/15/2014Real old school restaurant with an excellent wait staff. The lunch menu had a great range of selections. The four of us enjoyed what we ordered and there was no rush to get us out. All in all an excellent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/11/2014Food was great, however a one hour wait for dinner with a reservation is unacceptable. Apparently they regularly over book tables, which is extremely problematic when you have tickets to the Prudential Center! Plan to make your reservation an hour before you want to sit, then spend the time at the bar.
- Awful ExperienceStayAwayDined on 10/11/2014We arrived @ 5:15 for our 5:30 reservation, we were given a buzzer and were told it the table will be ready in a few minutes. Fast forward to 7PM we were still waiting so we left because we were going to a show @ 8PM.The establishment had total disregard for us and all the other folks they overbooked. This was a business event which embarrassed me in front of these clients. I will never step foot or recommend this restaurant again. This restaurant is strictly a MONEY GRAB establishment!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014I have been to Fornos a thousand times and am never disappointed. Ironbound Newark is wonderful.Special Features:
- Great Old World Spanish FoodJSP2GVDined on 10/9/2014Forno's of Spain is a Staple in the Ironbound area. It's a sure hit and plenty of parking for the location. The staff was great. The food was even betterSpecial Features:
- A Newark legend for good reasonJerseyGuyDined on 10/9/2014My wife and I enjoyed the wide selection of dishes available and ultimately settled for Veal in a white wine sauce; excellent choice. The service was attentive and smooth, seeming to anticipate our needs at the moment. I look forward to returning and sampling more of the fare.Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014Consistent and delicious food. Have the Paella. Garlic shrimp was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewFornos6OctDined on 10/6/2014Recently had dinner at Fornos. The food was excellent and plentiful, but it took quite some time for our meal to arrive after ordering (40 minutes or more). Otherwise, pretty good, a bit on the spendy side.Special Features:
- Always good eatingDank1224Dined on 10/6/2014I have been there a few times now. It is one of my girlfriends favorite places to go. I always enjoy the food there and the sangria is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EstupendoMemoriesLoveFoodDined on 10/5/2014We found this place almost a year ago and it is awesome! we invited a couple of good friend and had a blast. The food is superb, portions are great to share, la cazuela de mariscos, boquerones, tortilla, camarones al ajillo, paella; well, everything was so so delicious. This is by far my favorite Spanish of NY&NJ. Great for large groups and to do tapas.Special Features:
- gctexazDined on 10/4/2014We had 12 in our group and every plate was outstanding! The presentation and taste was delightful. The manager was very hospitable and made us feel welcome. We plan on going back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingnaturalFoodieDined on 10/2/2014The food was great, the service was amazing. My date night surprise was a success. I'm a foodie and he's a picky eater but this left him speechless and stuffed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ironbound ExpeienceRonRDined on 9/28/2014Heard about this restaurant from a friend. First visit . Great dining experience. Everyone on staff beginning with the parking lot attendant was very nice and professional. Had drink at the bar before dinner. Drinks are generous and served with some tapas. Atmosphere is vibrant. I will return.Special Features:
- Fornos of Spain - good diningWordster134Dined on 9/28/2014Had dinner there last Sunday night. had 6 PM reservations. We were seated immediately. A basket of good bread and garlic toast and olives was brought right away (nice touch). Service was attentive and prompt. Although the extensive menu looked a bit pricey at first (all entrees we $25-$35), but the portions were massive! You were actually buying two meals if you took home your leftovers. I ordered the broiled veal chop with mushroom gravy, my wife had the chicken and shrimp Francese, and my son ordered the veal chop Milanese. The food was delicious; served with family style green salad (great house dressing), Spanish Rice and a mixed vegetable dish. All in all it was a very pleasant experience and would go there again.Special Features:
- KhonnaDined on 9/28/2014When booking our reservation for 6 last Sunday night I mentioned that we would be celebrating a birthday in our group and would be leaving for a nearby Devils hockey game after dinner in the comments section of Open Table. Since we were surrounded by tables with staff serenading Happy Birthday I never thought I had to ask again. I was wrong. We ordered dessert and no one on the staff recognized our birthday and so we ended up singing on our own. Not a big deal, but a memorable flaw for a lovely dinner celebration.Special Features:
- Service could be more attentiveClarkDined on 9/24/2014Food was great and plenty of staff. But they are all walking around and no one payid attention. I sta for 10 min before flagging a bus boy to get a drink. No menus until I asked for them. Yes I was waiting for my date sitting alone but still. When she arrived...yep plenty of attention I guess for obvious reasons. But food was outstanding its just if the service was better it would be an overall great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spanish food at NewarkMPSnoopyDined on 9/21/2014We chose this place since we were looking for a nice restaurant for dinner before flying out from Newark Airport. The food was excellent. The spanish omlet was much larger than we expected, and we had to take most of it home to keep room for the main dish. (It became my breakfast for the next morning.) The paellla was full of seafood. The parking service was also excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- joanneDined on 9/20/2014The food and service once we sat down was good. The reason I rated "fair" for service is that we had reservations for 6 at 6:30pm. One friend was 10 mins. late but everyone else was there from 6:15 pm or earlier waiting at the bar. We told them we were all there several times but we still weren't seated until 7:25pm when they opened up another section of the restaurant. Why make a reservation if you have to wait that long? We didn't get an answer. Spent a lot of money waiting at the bar. No explanation or anything. Still spent almost $500 with tip. It wasn't the waiters fault.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food; Great Resturantlarryp21Dined on 9/20/2014A friend of ours recommended Fornos of Spain to us. It was outstanding. The service was great and the food was delicious. I ordered the Paella Valenciana. Best paella I have eaten. I definitely recommend going there. My family and I will definitely be returning and we will tell our friends of the great service and food Fornos of Spain provided.Special Features:
- Spain in NewarksoccerrefDined on 9/18/2014We have been to Fornos of Spain on many occasions and are always delighted with the energy of the restaurant and the quality of the food. On this trip we were with out of town guests who thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I'm always amazed that the menu is massive, yet all dishes ordered are always top notch.The wine list is very extensive as is the 'wine by the glass' offerings. Always a plus for me. My only negative comment is that it was freeeeeezing inside on this occasion.Special Features:
- Great All AroundOldfoodyDined on 9/16/2014Fornos is a great all around restaurant. Food is consistently well prepared. Service is always good. I have been going there for many years and have never had a bad meal or complaint. Paella is always a reliable standby and there is a tremendous variety on the menu. The sangria is wonderful. We have taken out of town guests there and everyone has enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First class in all waysBeachRickDined on 9/16/2014OpenTable transmitted wrong seat count so seating delayed. But all else, from decor, ambiance including great crowd, menu choices, pro servers, delicious and size able dishes...overseen by quiet and suites managers...FIRST CLASS. Price was reasonable and good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful RestaurantNancyDined on 9/7/2014I've been to this restaurant before, this is why I chose to celebrate a (very) Belated Father's Day, as well as Belated Birthday dinner here for my dad with my brothers. The food and ambiance was great, but the service was off this particular evening. The wait staff was a bit rushed and seemed annoyed with serving us. They would reach onto the table to grab glasses or put down plates nearly hitting or startling everyone. Just a bit off then it normally is...less friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodMMKTVIPDined on 9/5/2014Fornos of Spain never fails to have fabulous food and great service. Whether its seafood, steaks, or Spanish fare, you won't go wrong at Fornos.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood restaurantpeptoitVIPDined on 9/2/2014Arrived for a 6:45pm reservation and we were promptly greeted and seated. Waite staff were prompt and made us aware of specials. Our order was taken and food was out within 10 min. Presentation was awesome and the food did not disappoint. Good place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.