191 Woodport Rd.
Sparta, NJ 07871Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://fornosparta.com/
- Phone: 9737264202
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Forno Italiano
Forno Italiano brings exquisite rustic Italian dining to the heart of Sparta NJ. We supply only the finest Italian cuisines to take you on a trip to Italy. From our pasta, to the wide array of entrees and right down to our delicious desserts you will enjoy a rush of such flavor that your taste buds will be thanking you all the way home!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Forno Italiano reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (6)neighborhood gem (4)notable wine list (4)fit for foodies (4)special occasion (4)good for groups (3)romantic (2)late-night find (2)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great experienceDinnerOutDined on 9/28/2014We've visited Forno's several times. Always a great experience. The House made sweet potato ravioli was unbelievably good. Very friendly, professional service every visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!!!truefoodie1Dined on 9/17/2014If I can not go into the city I go to forno. The place is beautiful. The food is old world Italian and the service is friendly. I suggest the Eggplant and the Sunday Gravy. Start with the Grilled octopus. You will not be disappointed. It always reminds me of my grandmothers cooking back in the day.Special Features:
- OK but not great.jdnjDined on 8/24/2014We ordered appetizers and dinner. The Italian toast app as well as the eggplant entree was good. The pork chop entree was fair at best - dry and little flavor. The food took a very long time to come out - not a server issue, but with the kitchen even though the restaurant was not busy. Will give it another try and see how it goes.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice PlacenootzDined on 8/6/2014This was the second time here. First time with just me and the wife. Second with family. Both times food and service very good. Prices higher than some restaurants in the area, but reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dover100Dined on 7/11/2014Overall, all was quite good to excellent, we will tell our friends, the out door dining room was excellent with the live music playing.Special Features:
- The following 55 reviews are from the Forno Italiano reviews archive.
- FlannyDined on 6/18/2014While it was too quiet for a Wednesday night out, the food, the atmosphere and the service were all excellent. They made my husband's birthday celebration very enjoyable and the food was both plentiful and reasonably priced for its high quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Datenight!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014We picked the perfect place to celebrate a special occasion... The food was great as well as the ambiance and service. Would highly recommend and can't wait to go back again and sit on the patio this time and enjoy the fire pit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GemFinderDined on 5/31/2014My wife and I went there for our 27th wedding anniversary and were more than pleasantly surprised by many things, those being the size and scope of the seating area was incredible, the food was tremendous and the ambiance was terrific. Will recommend this restaurant to all our friends as this was truly a gem.Special Features:
- Keeps getting better...PiningForTuscanyDined on 4/26/2014I know there have been mixed reviews for this restaurant, but I must say we see an improvement in service each time we go. The food is always delicious, creative and consistent and there is never a bad attitude in the house. This time we brought some friends and they had a great time and raved about how delicious their meals were. The winners on this visit: the Polenta fries (great for our gluten-free diner), grilled Octopus (now a fave), the Short Rib is amazing and we love the Pistachio Semi Freddo!! We'll be back!Special Features:
- Not ImpressedJaimz07Dined on 4/26/2014Just spent too much money for what we got. Kids meatball with spaghetti was cold in the middle... calamari was good and linguini with clam was gritty. Small portions, high prices but service was friendly and place was nice.
- JKrisDined on 4/25/2014Great food. Great service. Definitely the place to go in the Sparta area.Special Features:
- Good food, but not quickKaycee27Dined on 4/13/2014We ate at Forno Italiano for my husband's birthday. Our party had spaghetti carbonara, potato gnocchi, veal parmesan and farfalle manchego shrimp. The farfalle was too sweet for my taste and the shrimp were a little rubbery, but everyone else enjoyed their entrees. The beet salad was very good, although the "small" was pretty large. Desserts- tiramisu and panna cotta with a raspberry sauce- were very tasty. Our server was pleasant and attentive, but the food, especially dessert, was very slow to come out, even though the restaurant didn't appear to be at all crowded on a Sunday night. It's an attractive place, and we will return, but only when we have plenty of time.Special Features:
- FRANK & LUCILLEfrankVIPDined on 4/6/2014ATE AT FORNO'S ON 4/6/14, DRINKS AND FOOD WERE VERY GOOD EXCEPT FOR THE SUNDAY GRAVY SPECIAL. SAUSAGE WAS BURNED, MEATBALLS WERE HARD AND DRY AS IF THERE WERE JUST DEFROSTED AND HEATED UP IN THE SAUCE. AND THE SAUCE LOOKED AS IF IT HAD BEEN BURNED. FOR AN ITALIAN RESTAURANT THIS DISH SHOULD BE THEIR BEST ITEM.....FOR US 'NOT SO'. OUR SERVERS WERE PLESANT AND ATTENTIVE, BUT THE FOOD CAME OUT OF THE KITCHEN VERY VERY SLOW EVEN THOUGH THE RESTAURANT WAS NOT CROWDED. WE'LL TRY IT AGAIN WHEN IT WARMS UP SO WE CAN DINE OUTSIDE ON THE PATIO. HOPE THE KITCHEN GET ON THE BALL OR WE'LL NOT RETURN A 3RD TIME. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND TO ANYONE UNLESS THE WAIT TIME FOR THE FOOD IS IMPROVED UPON.
- Great local spotlbigrandmaDined on 4/5/2014Tried Forno Italiano for the first time Saturday night. Very pleasantly surprised, great appetizer menu, reasonable prices. Knew the atmosphere would be upscale based on previous steak house in that location. There are outside tables which I'm sure would be pleasant dining in warmer weather. Looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice PlaceElainaVIPDined on 3/22/2014Very nice Italian resturant in Sparta, NJ. We were meeting family and friends in the area and choose this place by luck! Food was very good, as was the service. They also had live music in the bar area. Would retun :)Special Features:
- Top-notch overallOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014First time at this restaurant, very satisfied, superb attention to details ranging from the drinks to the great italian bread to the salad to the entrees. And we can't forget the tiramisu. Nice crowd for a Saturday night and the service was always consistent. Just became my favorite italian restaurant in North Jersey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant was quitesavysrDined on 3/22/2014This restaurant was quite nice. The food was good, the drinks were exceptional (but a bit pricey) and the food was also very good but not exceptional. Portion sizes were good, but I felt the presentation could have been better. After being there for about an hour and the restaurant filling up, it got quite loud to the point where the music was no longer heard. Will go back this summer to experience the outdoor dining and try another dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmospherebarbDined on 3/21/2014I had been here now for the second time in a month and I love the menu. It was great to go into the bar for a quick cocktail before dinner and there was music which is a greatly added pleasure I will definitely return!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was out of this world,MikeMDined on 3/1/2014The food was out of this world, the service was very attentive and knew the menu well. the mascarpone cheesecake left us almost speechless!Special Features:
- Taylor, our waitress, wasMelaDined on 2/6/2014Taylor, our waitress, was tremendous. She was attentative, friendly and very professional. That treat along with the wonderful food left me and my wife wanting to come back and try of few additional items we labored over trying at the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very nice romantic diningluv2eatDined on 2/6/2014A very nice romantic dining experience. Good service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable experienceJaneDined on 1/25/2014Everything about the experience was "good." I enjoyed the food and the service was good but wish that there was something that would make dining here stand out.Special Features:
- Will returnJohnDined on 1/18/2014Made reservations on line. Seated immediately. Service, drinks, food served promptly.Special Features:
- Nice PeopleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/18/2014The food was good, the people are nice, the prices are reasonable, what more could you want. Our server Paul did a good job. Overall very positive experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little known gemNankyDined on 1/18/2014If it wasn't for a val-pak offer I never would have known this restaurant existed. Very good food,friendly and accommodating staff, pretty ambience, outdoor seating available in the warmer weather. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- The Shrimp was over cookedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/27/2013The Shrimp was over cooked and The trout special was dry. The children enjoyed the chicken Parmesan. They have a decent wine list.
- Great young servers,eclecticOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/27/2013Great young servers,eclectic menu with excellent food. One of our favorite spots. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecentAlocalDined on 12/6/2013Overall was decent, nothing outstanding but everything ok. Live music in bar, party downstairs, piped in music got to be a little much but wasn't that big a deal and was probably unusual. Menu has good options, we were not unhappy with anything although seared ahi was not bad, but would not order again. Service was very nice and the place itself is very nice too. No complaints, no raves either - would go again to give it another try.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Caeser salad ever! GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/29/2013Best Caeser salad ever! Great wait staff, CLEAN,Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday NightOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/17/2013My husband and I had dined there once before but for a late lunch early dinner. Decided to go back with another couple on Saturday night and had an excellent dining experience. I would have to give the food a 5 star and the service from our waitress Patty was flawless. Definately will be going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKHungriDined on 8/3/2013Describes experience.People are friendly and try to please. More attention needed at tables.Less choices on menu and greater concentration on quality of dish.More of a wine selection would be good.Special Features:
- They had no AC on and allnancy123Dined on 7/19/2013They had no AC on and all of us were sweating including bartender it was grossSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great ReincarnationronkDined on 7/6/2013Good ambiance, quiet and conducive to conversation, wonderful service, good food, reasonable portion sizes (neither gargantuan nor miniscule), nice wine list and quite affordable. When it is time to order, you don't feel "I don't need to see the menu" in this Italian restaurant. It is somewhat different and a nice change of pace. The kitchen is quite flexible with its offerings and your desired changes. Will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience as alwaysSpartaJ18Dined on 6/21/2013Been here three times and never disappointed. A new chef and a new menu. Sad to see some items gone but the menu does not disappoint. Seafood, steaks, chicken, duck, and specials span all types, plus pasta dishes, appetizers, desserts, etc. I've had fish there, steak, and duck, and all have been fantastic. Appetizers (baby octopus, fried clams) are great too, and desserts are out of this world. This place has a nice wine list but you can BYOB too. And the bar (set off from the dining room) is a nice way to start the night (many different types of martinis). This place is quiet, yet family friendly, and furring the summer there is outdoor dining on the patio with a band on Fridays. Forno Italiano is a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightfully deliciousSharronaDined on 6/20/20136 of us and a toddler dined outside of the patio. The waterfall was so relaxing. From my vantage point I felt as though I was in the forest. Food was wonderful. We all tasted each others. Usually don't do dessert, but felt compelled to try them all. Equally great, one was better than the last. Would go back in a heartbeat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fathers Day Celebration!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/16/2013Only one word Fantastic! My two children took me here, everything was tremendous the food and service was great and also was the Sangria.I ordered the Salmon for my entree it was perfect it came with rice and spinich,my son had the Chicken Parm and my daughter the Penne Vodka both of them totally enjoyed it.What more can I say a perfect Fathers Day.Special Features:
- Should get better. The foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/28/2013Should get better. The food is very good nice ambience. The issue with the two times I've been there has been the service is in attentive and inexperienced. Bringing in some experienced staff will improve this and it will be terrific local spot.
- I had heard good things aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/27/2013I had heard good things about Forno because of its change in ownership and remodeling so I gave it a try. I took the girlfriend for Saturday night dinner around 7:15. We were promptly seated and orders taken but it took nearly 45 minutes for the food. My girlfriend's dish had to be altered. The stuffed chicken francese was no longer stuffed. We had to then pile our bread basket and appetizer dishes in order for them to notice that they were in the way. The food was ok. With a plethora of Italian restaurants in my town has made me picky about a simple parmigiano dish. Although there were some setbacks, I would still say the experience was ok. But not worth the price. 3 out of 5 for being a little different than the 30 Italian places in town.Special Features:
- Great service, wonderful food,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/6/2013Great service, wonderful food, extensive wine list, great , delicious main course and desserts. Very friendly and helpful staff. Food is not your usual run of the mill menu. I would rate this restaurant as one that could compete with the best restaurants in Manhattan. Care was given in both presentation and wonderful use of a variety of vegetables and spices. I loved the roasted vegetables that came with my tuna steak. Everyone at the table thoroughly enjoyed their meal.Special Features:
- Excellent food every timeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/6/2013Excellent food every time my friends and I have eaten there. I will definitely return. Seems to be a favorite since it hasn't been open long and has been crowded every time I have been there. Sometimes a little noisy but still a favorite in town.Special Features: