Fornetto Mei - a pan-italian restaurant
105 E Delaware Place
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Fornetto Mei - a pan-italian restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thewhitehallhotel.com/html/chicago-fine-dining.asp
- Phone: 3125736301x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast Daily: 7:00am - 11:00am,
Dinner Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Sam Liang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Full restaurant menu and catering menu. Contact David Serrata, Sales & Catering Manager, 312-573-6297 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Special Events: Full Catering Events, contact David Serrata, Sales & Catering Manager, 312-573-6297 or email@example.com
A word from Fornetto Mei - a pan-italian restaurant
Located between Michigan Ave & Rush St, Fornetto Mei is a hidden Gold Coast gem offering a cozy & intimate atmosphere with authentic Italian dishes in an elegant venue. The décor conveys the classic elegance & grace of European style, with all the warmth & hospitality of the Midwest. Fornetto Mei offers fine dining with consistently delectable food accompanied by personalized service. The name Fornetto Mei comes from the Italian word ‘il fornetto’ meaning little oven for our wood-burning ovens that produce delicious Milanese-style thin crust pizzas, combined with the renowned Berkshire pork potstickers created by owner Su-Mei Tung. Visit us after a busy day of shopping on the Magnificent Mile, after visiting the John Hancock Center for its city views or for a romantic night of fine dining in downtown Chicago. We look forward to serving you in the near future! NOTE: Visit our sister restaurant Mei's Corner serving Asian small plates located at 101 E. Delaware Place.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Fornetto Mei - a pan-italian restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- not competitive in any wayFussyDinerVIPDined on 6/20/2014Service is dreadful, food very below average, prices competitive with finer restaurants in the area...ambience is dark and uninspiring.
- Limited mediocrityTwigsterDined on 3/15/2014I found the menu very limited the service mediocre and the food uninspired It was nice and quiet
- Prix Fix options great!LisaDined on 1/25/2014All courses were flavorful. The Malbec we had was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fornettov meiJerryVIPDined on 1/24/2014Setting was very nice and staff was hospitable, but food was not particularly notableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just had a late lunchdjdeanVIPDined on 12/29/2013We just arrived from ou travel and had a nice lunch. Small number of items on menu (Saturday). Good food but service was slow.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited menuItalyDined on 10/25/2013Food was good, limited menu, it's Italian bring some bread to the table, there was a butter knife.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, spotty serviceRCGenjoyingDined on 10/12/2013Food was excellent but service wasn't great. Didn't seem to be enough personnel to take good care of the tables. No bread, and server had no idea what Focaccia is... which is not a good sign in an Italian place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant pre-theater diningSusannaMDined on 10/3/2013We had a very nice meal in a quiet neighborhood setting. The food was good, the service timely and we had a satisfying experience. Great for a meal before dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2013We made reservations and when we arrived at the resturant it was full of people standing and talking. It was hard to even get in. We found out that there was a party of 35 and we were the only other's in there. Whay would they ahve even put two other people in with 35. I think it only sat 40 -45. We would have rather been refused the reservation. Anyways they put us in a quited spot with a small table in the front of the resturant. It was here that we waited for more than 15 minutes to be even asked for a drink, never mind ordering food. We left and let them know we were not happy. Thank you.
- Gold Coast findFoodmavenDined on 7/19/2013Who would think that a hotel restaurant would be worthy of excellent food and a good place for conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unremarkableyay14Dined on 7/18/2013We decided to go because several reviews on here claimed it was a hidden gem. The restaurant was empty basically when we arrived, the decor was nice though, but it seemed odd that it was so dead during the peak hour. We ordered the bruschetta, and I wasn't a fan. It had a sauce on it that threw off the taste. My boyfriend liked it, but i found it unnecessary. The main dishes were okay. Mine was pretty salty, but it was still okay. It wasn't bad, just not as good as some places in the city. The service was really great though. You can tell the server wanted everyone to feel comfortable and he paid close attention.
- A Gem of a SurpriseHammerVIPDined on 6/28/2013Decided to try this place based on excellent ratings on OpenTable. When we arrived, we were only one of two patrons int he restaurant on a rainy Friday night at 7pm. Was wondering if we made a mistake. Yes, it is in the Whitehall Hotel, but the food was unlike any hotel restaurant I have been before. The pork bolognese was unbelievable and the pizza we had as an appetizer was out of this world. Only wish we tried the fresh, homemade dumplings which sounded strange on an Italian restaurant menu. It was not until we saw the Chinese painting on the wall that we realized Mei, the chef, is Asian. Mei's culinary skills really came through in every dish. Service was incredible friendly and warm. An awesome find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Half BadSatisfiedVIPDined on 6/28/2013Split pea soup was delicious. I really enjoyed the salmon sandwich, and Poppy, the bartender, was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had the house salad and theDisappointedVIPDined on 6/22/2013Had the house salad and the signature pizza (without the sausage). My husband had the salmon entree and since he doesn't like capers I jokingly asked the waiter to add them to my pizza instead. The chef overheard and said why not, and the combination of the slightly salty capers with the goat cheese and grapes was great! Only note of disappointment was my husbands purportedly "wild" salmon, which, most likely was in actuality farm raised judging by the pink flesh of the fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love Fornetto Mei!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/12/2013We love this little gem of a place! We have the most impeccable service here, and we like its intimate nature. Having a QUIET place to enjoy a meal is ALWAYS A PLUS IN OUR BOOK! I do not equate noise level with success at all. The pizzas are the best, freshly made in front of your eyes. The wine list is very good. As of late, we have brought our elder family to dine here because it is quiet. The holiday special meals are reasonably priced, and plentiful. The prie fixed menu could really do without the "brunch egg" section - it's just too much food. How can one eat breakfast before a full entree? That's crazy. 2nd course should be a nice, small soup or appetizer offering. Otherwise, Fornetto Mei is doing a great job! Cheers!!Special Features:
- Not worth the money. NothingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/20/2013Not worth the money. Nothing that you couldn't get from the freezer at the store. Hotel lobby resturant. Only reason to go here is of you can't get reservations anywhere else.
- Quiet night for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/13/2013My daughter and I had a nice, quiet dinner here. Food was very good, as was the service. Really liked my wine!
- Great mix of terrific Italian,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/30/2013Great mix of terrific Italian, brick oven pizza and the best Chinese potstickers in the neighborhood. Fun grazing.Special Features:
- Ambience, service and tasteFoodiegalDined on 3/22/2013Service is remarkably good - staff are attentive without hovering. The ambience is upscale Tuscan, with a hop vibe in the lounge. Their flatbreads and bruschetta are both tasty, with memorable flavors that linger. Recommend the goat cheese,basil and grape flatbread for a satisfying,creamy taste with a tasty infusion of herbs and a juicy sweetness. The dough is expertly rendered as a tasty platform with substance. Salads and dressings are fresh and portions generous. Everything tastes homemade, with the sure hand of a well-trained chef and a caring staff who does whatever it can to enhance the dining experience.A gem suitable for lunch,watching sports at the bar, date night, or those seeking vegetarian dining optionsSpecial Features:
- Inside the Whitehall Hotel,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/2/2013Inside the Whitehall Hotel, we almost missed it. The menu is minimal and not typical Italian food. Almost didn't like it because we returned the steak for being overcooked. The chef made up for it and delivered a steak that just melted in your mouth. We would go back.Special Features:
- Our reservation was for 10:00PM.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/1/2013Our reservation was for 10:00PM. I received a phone call that afternoon from the restaurant stating that the last seating is at 9:30. We were attending a play and by the time it ended, it was after 9:30. The restaurant shouldn't take reservations online for 10:00.
- On a rainy Tuesday night,2dynersVIPDined on 1/29/2013On a rainy Tuesday night, we were the only two guests in the restaurant when we arrived at 7 and left at 8. All we ordered was a pizza Margherita, and it was delicious. Perfect thin crust, salty cheese and enough basil to flavor it without overpowering the tomato and cheese. We'd go back, although eating in an empty room was a little strange.
- We will return!JackDined on 1/26/2013Located in the charming Whitehall Hotel a smaller European boutique style hotel, Fornetto Mei has an intimate feel. Service by Benito was great--always prompt, and food choices for each of the four of us and a very nice wine list.Special Features:
- This place is an embarrassmentexpectgoodfoodVIPDined on 12/28/2012This place is an embarrassment to the neighborhood and I was embarrassed to have taken guest here. Food was bad/old. No one was there so that should have been a clue.
- Lovely Christmas Day dinner.FrijolitoDined on 12/25/2012Lovely Christmas Day dinner. Cozy , small dining room with nice fireplace. Even a fixed, specil event menu was outstanding...lobster bisque, house salad, choice of rack of lamb, rib-eye or lobster, crad raviolis, chocolate lava cake or apple vanilla crepes.Special Features:
- Stellar thin, hand-tossed pizzaVickyBeeVIPDined on 12/10/2012The special pizza, with sausage, goat cheese and grapes sounded odd, but was stellar. Loved the thin, hand-tossed crust and flavorful topping combination. It's baked in a pizza oven at the front of the restaurant. Hubby had the hearty gnocchi with a pork/tomato sauce. The menu is a bit confusing, with a smattering of Asian-inspired appetizers, and the rest mostly Italian, and is fairly limited. Flan is not traditionally an Italian (or Asian!) dessert, but it was creamy and had an authentic caramel sauce.Special Features:
- Wonderful and unexpected find.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/5/2012Wonderful and unexpected find. Perfect romantic Evening with my husband.Special Features:
- Fabulous Find for Fantastic FoodSteveVIPDined on 12/3/2012What a wonderful Chicago find! The dishes were creative and of exceptional quality. Most spectacular, though, was the table service provided by the waiter, Benito. He is excellent, highly professional, extremely attentive, and very warm.Special Features:
- I remember getting there andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/1/2012I remember getting there and the entrance was somewhat vague - we entered through the bar and there was no waiter or waitress to find us a seat so I actually had to look for one. We were seated, but then we were seated at a seat where the tables were set up properly. The waitress who waited us was not friendly at all.Special Features:
- Horrible service the momentOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/18/2012Horrible service the moment we walked in. Left without trying the food.
- The pizza was very good, butOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/11/2012The pizza was very good, but the service wasn't great - our waiter was running around to all the tables, and we had to practically wave him down whenever we needed something.
- Food was great and serviceMangiVIPDined on 11/4/2012Food was great and service was wonderful! Would definitely come back.Special Features:
- Hidden gem. Good food. ReasonablyGraceDined on 10/17/2012Hidden gem. Good food. Reasonably priced. Conveniently located.
- On the verge of being goodbayamusVIPDined on 10/14/2012The food at Fornetto Mei was really really good, it's just a shame nothing else about the restaurant lives up to it. Everything else from the menus to the decor felt dated, a little cheap, and poorly thought out. The cocktail list is just martinis, which seemed especially out of place. Lastly, it took over a week for them to approve my reservation and dining points here on OpenTable.
- Highly recommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/13/2012We truly enjoyed the experience Patrick was the host and waiter, made us feel at home. The salmon was excellent. Will go back!!!Special Features:
- Excelente comida, muy maloOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2012Excelente comida, muy malo el servicio, un mesero o supervisor que queria hacer todo y no servía a sus mesas. Lástima de comida.Special Features:
- Honestly, we couldn't haveDutchieChicagoVIPDined on 9/3/2012Honestly, we couldn't have picked a better night to test the mettle of any restaurant. Labor Day night, the city was dead, as was this restaurant. We were one of two tables, and we came late. Plus with the long holiday weekend lacking deliveries, I figured the food wouldn't be the freshest. I was thrilled to be completely wrong. The food was fabulous and the service impeccable. The grilled calamari was perfectly grilled without a trace of rubber-iness, the pizza d'asti crisp and flavorful, and the pork bolognese had deeply developed flavors. It felt like our own private restaurant. Give them your business--they deserve it.Special Features:
- Awesome pizza on this visit,OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 8/5/2012Awesome pizza on this visit, Bennie was an outstanding waiterSpecial Features:
- Tasty Italian fare!resiak1958VIPDined on 7/20/2012A solid menu featuring salads, pasta & pizza. The atrium is enjoyable for people watching, and the wait staff is attentive, but non-intrusive. A great place for a light dinner, drinks & wine.Special Features:
- Great service, food and ambiance;OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/14/2012Great service, food and ambiance; they just overcooked my salmon.Special Features: