1011 W. Irving Park Rd
Chicago, IL 60613Neighborhood:
Lakeview / East Lakeview
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.fornellotrattoria.com/
- Phone: (773) 404-1800
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 2:00pm -9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Fornello Trattoria
Experience award-winning wine and old style, authentic Italian food made with only the freshest ingredients. Whether you are celebrating family, or enjoying a special night with a date, come in for an unforgettable experience.Continued
Fornello will be the first thing on your mind the next morning.
Fornello will be the first thing on your mind the next morning.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Fornello Trattoria reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (17)fit for foodies (9)good for groups (7)romantic (7)special occasion (6)great for outdoor dining (5)notable wine list (4)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for lunch (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Good foodAaron22qDined on 11/8/2014Fornello Trattoria had good food, but not good enough to warrant the prices, which were slightly higher than I think they could have been. Our waitress happily gave us samples of the wines that we were interested in, which was a very nice touch. She was very attentive and we weren't left waiting for anything. The owner/manager was also walking around making sure that everyone was having a nice time. Unfortunately, many seats in the restaurant have a view that is drawn to one of the doors to the kitchen, which really throws off the ambience of the restaurant. I wish that I could give it another star, but I just didn't think that the value was there considering good, but not great food, and slightly too high of prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great experienceLuvitialianDined on 11/7/2014This was our second time here. It was great. We both ordered different things and they were fantastic. I love this neighborhood restaurant. I had the Gnocchi Quattro Formagio and my husband had the salmon. These dishes we would both order again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Neighborhood GemOutstandingVIPDined on 10/31/2014True Italian. Homemade goodness and owners/staff that care. If you love lasagna, you will be in heaven. Also, the mussels in red sauce...so good. Make sure to save your bread just to dip in the sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood ItalianBabbsDined on 10/18/2014Great neighborhood Italian food. Large delicious portions & attentive service will bring us back. 6 out of 6 appetizers and diners were winners. Enjoyable night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/11/2014Authentic and homemade pasta. We really enjoyed our meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fornello Trattoriadandaoverpriced1Dined on 9/29/2014Itallian Waiter a little scattered...he wasn't focussed ..too busy being a goomba. Service provided by him was slow. He tried charging us for drinks we didn't have, Instead of leaving with my date, I had to play auditor retracing everything we did..only to find we were overcharged on drinks. A real Mood Killer!Special Features:
- Solid Neighborhood SpotEllebeeVIPDined on 9/21/2014Went in for dinner Sunday night & and sat at a table in the bar/cocktail area. Started with the gin cocktail on the menu, extremely refreshing & a great start to the meal. My boyfriend had the artigianale italian golden ale which was great. Our server (also the bartender) gave an overview of his favorites on the menu which were helpful. Ordered the burrata to start & the lobster ravioli and filet for second course. Unfortunately they all came out at the same time. Not the biggest deal but I was hoping to try 2 new wines: one with apps & the other with dinner. Ordered a latte, tiramisu and lava cake to finish. Desserts were excellent but latte was laughable. All being said I would still go back, best italian in the area.Special Features:
- The following 31 reviews are from the Fornello Trattoria reviews archive.
- Great food, great servicemandile23Dined on 7/10/2014Reliable neighborhood joint. Delicious, traditional Italian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDING!! We WILL be back!!ashleyk328Dined on 7/6/2014Fornello was recommended to me by a friend. During a weekend trip to Chicago with my children, I looked up how to get there and we made a reservation for 2 pm. Being unfamiliar with the city, we actually got there a half hour early, which was about an hour before they actually were supposed to open at 2:30 pm. However, they let us in and seated us and served us drinks, and as soon as they had enough staff in to start serving us lunch they did (it was still well before 2:30 at that point). The meal was outstanding, and my kids begged to take their leftovers with them even though we were traveling (we did). Even though we are 5 hours away by car I would almost drive back just to have dinner. I wish we could have taken them home with us!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fornello Trattoria - very goodSundevil69Dined on 6/25/2014The food here is very good, nice-sized portions, and at a reasonable price. Lots of options on the menu, and a great wine list. The service is very good as well.Special Features:
- So sad to see what is goneOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/22/2014As long-time fans of Fornello, we were there often for many years because it was in the neighborhood and could be depended for perfect mussels, exquisitely fresh and flavorful eggplant and artichoke salads, savory veal cappelacci. The Matinis and the wines were delicious. The wait staff was knowledgeable and had personality, as did the room. Then they decided to redo it. Many of our favorite dishes and servers left. The space is now generic and the few favorite dishes that remain have inferior ingredients. And the servers, well it would be unkind to say how inattentive they are or how little they know. We keep trying the restaurant out of loyalty but it's not the same. Please bring back the old Fornello and all its wonderful elements!
- Great neighborhood ItalianChicagodinerDined on 6/21/2014Great food and service. We like the lemon chicken, chicken marsala, gnocchi with vodka cream sauce. Some things are great, everything is at least good. If you don't see it on the menu, ask and they often will make it for you anyway. They really try to accommodate. Good wine list too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableCLAIREDined on 4/25/2014Food and waiter were outstanding. We enjoyed our meal very much. Staff was very attentive to our needs. Would definitely recommend this restaurant and will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant little placeGasDocFLDined on 4/12/2014Good food, reasonably priced. Calamari was excellent. Other food was average or slightly above average, service could have been better. The night we went wasn't that busy, but the service was less than attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorites....!Nikski9098VIPDined on 3/25/2014My friends/family have been coming to this place for over 15 years. I've had everything on the menu more than twice and I can honestly say there isn't one thing that I wouldn't recommend. I proposed to my fiancé here as well...! The staff made sure that it was a huge surprise by hiding the ring on her entree plate in a tomato cut in the shape of a rose.....!!!! When the restaurant closed recently for the remodel I can say I was a little upset it would lose its personal charm and family down home feeling you got when you walked into the place. (the always blazing fireplace in front of the bar they cooked pizza in) When they reopened I was pleasantly surprised with what they had done to the place. Check it out...! :)Special Features:
- Easy yummies! Awesome Calamari.ChelsDined on 3/15/2014Great neighborhood spot for delicious Italian, dine in, or delivery. Freshest Calamari I've had in a while, and not overpriced!Special Features:
- FoodieDined on 3/13/20144 people in the restaurant and I waited over an hour for my dinner. It was the worst meal ever. A gentlemen came in after me ordered the same meal because mind smelled so good. We both were disappointed. It was very salty, over cooked rice, and fishy smelling seafood. Don't waste your time and money.
- Great Place!!EricDined on 3/8/2014Went with my parents, and we were all extremely happy. Our waiter knew his stuff, the owner was very nice. When we were ordering, we asked about a veggie we'd never heard of, eventually choosing against it- they gave us an order for free during the meal. We had an appetizer, salad, and different main courses and loved all of them. Highly recommend! I'll be taking the lady for sure.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always return when in ChitownKCBluesAndFoodVIPDined on 1/30/2014Whenever we are in Chicago we always make a point of dining at Fornello. The spicy calamari is delicious and our favorite dish. I love the meatball salad and usually pair it with baked clams. We shared the sausage and peppers which was authentic. The waitperson recommended an Umbrian red which complimented the meal. The server(Kelsey?) was very professional and warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!ph04VIPDined on 12/30/2013Went to dinner here with a big party and the staff was very accommodating! The environment was very warm and welcoming. Our entire meal was delicious. Will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Authentic Italian on Irving ParkReviewer34567VIPDined on 12/28/2013My second visit was as great as the first. All of the seafood/pasta dishes are great. I enjoyed the calamari this time. The spaghetti bolognese is heavenly; order a side of sausage for a treat. This is the place to go for authentic, reasonably priced Italian food--love the eggplant or veal parmesan or any of the marsalas or vesuvios. With live music, free parking on the street, and friendly staff, this has become a favorite of ours, especially when we go to one of the nearby small theaters.Special Features:
- Fornello'sFornellosDined on 12/27/2013It seems like they have a new owner or cook? The Chicken Vesuvio did not taste the same? Not sure if it is new owners or new cook.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a nice experience!MichelleDined on 12/14/2013We went here after a matinee show at the Mercury theater with a group of 8. It was empty at 530. But the staff was fun, helpful and attentive. We enjoyed spicy calamari at the server's suggestion. It was crisp and a zip of little cherry peppers. Bruchetta was delicious. We enjoyed the eggplant parm. Shrimp with a garlic butter sauce, steaks that were tender and cooked just right. We enjoyed a great evening. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Best CalamariKCBluesAndFoodVIPDined on 11/26/2013My wife and i dined at Fornello Trattoria on our last visit to Chicago. The service was impeccable. We each had a glass of proseco as an aperitif. Our server recommended a Sicilian wine which was suberb and a good value. For an appetizer we shared the calamari. Words cannot do justice to this dish. Tender, moist, tasted of the sea. Best ever!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the sea bassfuntravelerVIPDined on 11/23/2013Went there at the last moment and were pleasantly surprised with food quality.had the sea bass and pumpkin ravioli and both were excellent!would go there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really is a neighborhood gemnew2meDined on 11/16/2013We don't get into the city much and were looking for someplace to eat (moderately priced) within walking distance of Strawdog Theatre, for "dinner and a show". Fornello Trattoria is just a short walk away. We asked for the (brick oven) pizza menu, and the four cheese pizza was delicious. The minestrone soup was full of vege's - unique and delicious. The atmosphere was super comfortable and the service was great. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our first visit toOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/12/2013This was our first visit to the newly redesigned and revamped Fornello. They've made some great leaps forward with the menu, which has become much more attuned to contemporary tastes with simpler and more flavorful dishes. The update of the restaurant works. They have made great improvements. I'm sorry it took us so long to take advantage of the new Fornello.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was OK- just OK-MIKEVIPDined on 11/9/2013Everything was OK- just OK- The food was good, the price reasonable, service was good. Nothing was bad, nothing outstanding. We'd go back but not rush back. A pleasant restaurant, in no way memorable.
- Good, Casual Italian FoodBMStDined on 10/19/2013I would give this place 3 1/2 stars but not 4. We liked the food and the value is very, very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed Every MinuteJeff417Dined on 9/20/2013We found this restaurant thanks to Open Table and will be returning next time in Chicago. Went with party of six and every dish was wonderful. Service was friendly and knowledgeable. Great experience. (And we are Italian. We know good food!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a fabulous night!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/11/2013I started off at the bar for a drink before the rest of my party to arrive, had a great old fashioned made by Vince, the bartender that evening. Soon after, my date arrived and sat in the dining room which was beautiful with open faced brick and muted tones. We must have ordered every appetizer on the menu, just to try and see what we would like. The Tomato and onion salad, simple but wonderful flavor! you must get the baked clams, the breading and sauce is so wonderfully delicious i almost licked the plate! The burrata salad is flown in from Italy, and well worth it! Sausage and peppers, just like I make at home. i ended up after all of that, ordering the parmesan encrusted grouper, perfection. I will be back and taking many friends!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our first time diningLoves2eatsweetsVIPDined on 9/5/2013This was our first time dining at Fornello. When I walked into the restaurant I thought it was beautiful. The décor was modern and the outdoor seating was lit up by beautiful lighting and an array of flowers. I decided to order the martini flight which offered four different mini size martinis. They were all delicious. The drink menu was extensive and my husband ordered a pum-king beer which was awesome! We both ordered pasta dishes for dinner. The portions were huge and the food authentic. Our waitress was friendly and we were even greeted by the general manager Ottavio. He offered us complimentary homemade lemoncello which was the perfect ending to a perfect meal! We will definitely be back again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Server was great, food terribleFaceVIPDined on 9/2/2013Chef's plate of meats and cheeses is direct from Wal-Mart's grocery aisle: sliced processed cheeses and meats. Tuna carpaccio special was fishy and tasteless otherwise. Mushroom risotto was just passable. Seafood pasta dish was flavorless. Brighter note: our server was great. She took very good care of us. She did her own research to clear up our questions on the opaque wine list (one example: David Bruce is listed as a wine, not a winery). Kudos to her and good luck!
- Nice evening outRocks81VIPDined on 8/31/2013This place is a cute little neighborhood gem. The food is good, reasonably priced, and there's a "almost" cheesy ambience to it- from it's yellow Christmas lights outlining the outdoor seating area to the electric piano player that has the preprogrammed songs to serenade you with - from "lady in red" to "guantanemara". If you are just looking for a quaint dinner out- this is a great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food overall was prettygirls5Dined on 8/30/2013The food overall was pretty good. I had the lobster ravioli and the sauce was excellent but the pasta could have been a little more tender. Another person in the group stated that the salmon was quite good. The negative was the live music the evening we were there. We were expecting a quieter atmosphere so our group could talk but the piano singer too loud for the size of the restaurant and ruined the ambience for us.
- Italy on Irving ParkOysterLoverVIPDined on 8/23/2013This restaurant has terrific Italian food, fabulous service and wonderful atmosphere. A lovely out door patio. The recent remodel is beautiful. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Italian Restaurant!FlygirlDined on 8/17/2013Can't wait to go back to this wonderful little gem! We had a party of 6 on a Saturday night and were treated like we were the only ones in the place. The service was terrific! The food tasted as if "mama" were in the kitchen cooking up her home aid dishes. The outside seating was quaint. The live music was nice. The wine selection was wonderful.Special Features:
- Awesome placeBlue2289Dined on 8/2/2013This place was great, can't wait to go back to this place. Great price for the quality of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.