221 E. College St.
Iowa City, IA 52240Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.formosadowntown.com/
- Phone: 3193388880x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon 5-9pm, Tues-Thurs 5-10pm, Fri-Sat 11am-10pm, Sun 11am-9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Asian
- Executive Chef: David Etre
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout
- Catering: We can cater anything from our menu to your special event! Please email email@example.com for inquiries.
A word from Formosa
Formosa Restaurant & Sushi Bar is located at the ground level of Hotel Vetro in beautiful downtown Iowa City. Enjoy our variety of fresh sushi or try our delicious homemade soups!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Formosa - Best Restaurants in Iowa City ›
Formosa reviews from OpenTable diners
7 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (6)good for groups (5)fit for foodies (4)great for outdoor dining (3)romantic (3)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)great for lunch (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- CFrancesDined on 9/4/2014Great customer service, from the social media interactions to friendly wait staff and generous managers, it's always a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Sushi Ever!Hellocaitlin85Dined on 8/22/2014Formosa is probably my favorite sushi restaurant anywhere, let alone Iowa City. I have been going to Formosa for years and have never been disappointed. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- The following 41 reviews are from the Formosa reviews archive.
- We've eaten here several times,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/12/2012We've eaten here several times, and the food is always delicious. Best sushi anywhere, and really fun cocktail menu! On this occasion, we were celebrating graduation, and our server made it a fun and festive atmosphere. Love Formosa!!Special Features:
- The BetSadlyDined on 5/12/2012This place ranks among the best. We changed the number of diners twice, changed the time of our reservation, and had someone who has such particular eating habits that there was nothing on the menu he ate. So, the restaurant made him a special dish he does eat and he was totally pleased. That is serious praise. Our group ranged from graduate and his friends all the way to grandparents and everyone was totally happy with the meal, the attention to each one, and the general ambience. 5 stars indeed!Special Features:
- Service this trip was awful.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/10/2012Service this trip was awful. Ordered drinks before dinner, which arrived after the entrees arrived. Slow response times from wait staff. Disappointed all around.
- Pretty GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/7/2012Nothing too special, but pretty good for the price i suppose (12-20$ a plate). Good selection of cocktails and sushi. Friendly and prompt wait staff.Special Features:
- Best sushi in townOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/31/2012We went to Formosa while visiting family at school. Food was very solid and service was good. Look forward to going back when the weather is a little nicer and we can sit outside.Special Features:
- We really loved it. The LasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/23/2012We really loved it. The Las Vegas roll is out of this world. The service was good. And the martinis impressed. We will definitely be back. The only small issue we had is that we were seated right next to a very loud, boisterous man. This of course was no fault of Formosa but his noise level kind of killed our romantic night out away from the kiddos.Special Features:
- The atmosphere was nice, theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/18/2012The atmosphere was nice, the service was excellent, and the sushi delicious!Special Features:
- Formosa is delicious! I loveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/16/2012Formosa is delicious! I love the presentation of their sushi and the cotton candy martinis were really fun. The server we had that evening was fantastic and accomodated our group of ten wonderfully.Special Features:
- Valentine's Day 2012 dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2012We had a reservation at 8:45pm through OpenTable and there was a wait time for seating when we arrived for the reservation. We only waited 15 minutes as we were at our table at 9:00pm. The waitress was one of the best wait staff I've had at Formosa. She flipped our usual experience at Formosa into one of the best nights we've had there.Special Features:
- One Of The Best Places In The CityOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012I have never had Sushi before, and this place was amazing! I love Sushi and this dining experience! I've already told six people about it!Special Features:
- It was pretty good. The waitressOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012It was pretty good. The waitress checked in with us multiple times, but just enought to where it was not annoying. They were very quick to refill our drinks, and the food was made very quickly.Special Features:
- Love the food and everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/11/2012Love the food and everything about Formosa, except it feels as though tables are a little close to one another. Unfortunately I don't have a good suggestion how to fix this without removing seating. Otherwise my date and I loved Formosa.Special Features:
- Great date or ladies night spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/10/2012Great food and an amazing drink menu! Sushi was SO good, cocktail list was fun to choose from and they had the best onion rings I've ever had!Special Features:
- Great sushi!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/20/2012We really enjoyed the sushi and it was a peaceful dining experience.Special Features:
- Excellent food! Service isOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/13/2012Excellent food! Service is generally good. Can get pricey though.Special Features:
- we had an amazing dinner atOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/27/2011we had an amazing dinner at formosa last week! las vegas roll is a must try! there appeared to be a large party at half the dining room, but we were not distracted by any noise and still had our own privacy. the service was exceptional, waters and drinks were never empty. will be back!Special Features:
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/6/2011It was just good. Nothing that special. They did not have seaweed salad which to me seems weird. Decently priced for sushi. I would rather pay for expensive delicious sushi than have just decent cheaper sushi.Special Features:
- Very Good SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2011Very good sushi. I consider myself a sushi snob, having visited uncountable sushi places both in Japan and while living in San Diego for many years, and this place is right up there. Of the places I've had sushi in Iowa City, this is certainly in the top two, possibly a tie for best with Oyama sushi. I would rate Formosa above other sushi places in IC/Coralville, such as (in order of better to worse) Takanami, Three Samurai, Sushi Kicchin, and Sushi Popo, although each of those places were also satisfactory. Bright, friendly atmosphere, prices were reasonable and the service was great.Special Features:
- Excellent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/15/2011Me and my friend really enjoyed the lunch in Formosa. The service is really outstanding and the food is delicious. The mixed drink that recommended - wedding cake is really nice and i enjoyed a lot. We will visit Formosa again in the future and we hope there will be more food choices in the future tooSpecial Features:
- Great place for sushi andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/14/2011Great place for sushi and when you are with a group where not everyone enjoys sushi. The staff was very accommodating when we had to increase our reservation number. Overall great experience and excellent food/wine.Special Features:
- Very pleasant service. SurprisingOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/29/2011Very pleasant service. Surprising not too loud despite multiple large groups dining at the same time. Spring rolls were barely room temperature, veggie tempura was over salted (could even see salt on the veggies under the batter), and avocado in both rolls was brown when it arrived at the table. Specialty rolls aren't very inventive -- the addition of either tempura frying, cream cheese, or spicy tuna seem to be the only source of roll creativity.
- Food was served in a timelyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/17/2011Food was served in a timely manner. Drinks took about 30 minutes to arrive at our table (about 4 martinis, for 4 people). Drinks were delicious, but more bartenders are needed especially on Thursdays. Formosa could probably triple its sales in drinks if the service was quickened! Great specials. This was my first time at Formosa. The waitress was wonderful and reasonable about the drink wait.Special Features:
- I would like to say that myOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/17/2011I would like to say that my experience was Outstanding, but I am also speaking for the group that was with me. They said that their chicken was cold when it was brought out. I on the other hand, had a wonderful meal! I thought that the service was excellent and that my food was perfect! Being a server myself, I understand the complications with serving large tables. I wish I knew the name of our server! Thanks, I'll be returning soon!Special Features:
- First time visit and had aOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/17/2011First time visit and had a great meal. Sushi was fantastic and with happy hour prices a very good value for the money. One of the best Sushi meals we have had in the area. Will be going back.Special Features:
- Delicious sushi! Great drinks.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/10/2011Delicious sushi! Great drinks. Awesome service. Decent specials usually on weekdays. On Thursday we got specialty rolls for $9 and martinis for $3.Special Features:
- Best sashimi we have had inOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/29/2011Best sashimi we have had in town (and we have eaten everywhere!). A little more pricey. Our food did take a while like the other reviews, but the service was good. I would recommend to friends.Special Features:
- Good, but usually betterOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/28/2011My usual spot for good sushi and great martinis. Others ordered 3 different entree dishes (not sushi) and were disappointed in the over-battered, under-flavored chicken. The night ended with a jumbled bill. This usually doesn't happen on a slower night. I would recommend sushi, maki, and anything from the bar!Special Features:
- Quick service but rememberOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/7/2011Quick service but remember to order food before 10pm. The kitchen closes at 10pm. I love the Skittles martini.Special Features:
- We waited at least 45 minutesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2010We waited at least 45 minutes for our sushi, and when it arrived, my order (there were four of us) was messed up and had to be returned to the kitchen. It took another 20 minutes to receive my correct order, and by that time the other 3 people in my party were finished eating. No one ever apologized or offered an appetizer or anything while I waited. Very disappointing.
- Both the food and the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/4/2010Both the food and the service were great. There was live music too (piano). There is an extensive martini list and there were even drink specials. The only thing I didn't like is that the restaurant called five times Saturday night to confirm our reservation.Special Features:
- Our group loved the sushi. MostOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/28/2010Our group loved the sushi. Most made a meal of it. The women loved the speciality martinis. My problems were: 1-No hot tea available, they ran out so one of our party went to a local store since no one at the restaurant had the time. 2-My Sesame Chicken was served cold and had marginal taste.
- I have eaten at Formosa quiteOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/13/2010I have eaten at Formosa quite a few times. Being a staple in downtown Iowa City I find the restaurant an easy choice for sushi/Japanese cuisine. I would recommend for anyone looking for authentic sushi, and the prices aren't that bad! :)Special Features:
- We had a fantastic time. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/29/2010We had a fantastic time. We were a group of 16 people. Appetizers were outstanding in taste and presentation. Crab legs were awesome. Sushi out of this world. Salmon, beef and tuna superb. Excellent wine list and service very knowledgeable and efficient. The new big TV screen in the bar area was excellent keeping watch of NBA game. Very clean and great architecture. Recommend very highly for couples and small groups. Five star restaurant!Special Features:
- We had a group of 6. GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/22/2010We had a group of 6. Great time and Great food! Sushi and Sushimi rivals anything from Iowa City to Chicago.Special Features:
- Average employee turnoverOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/25/2010Average employee turnover for this restaurant is less than 6 months. That should tell you all you need to know about how this place is run.
- The quality of the food isOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/14/2010The quality of the food is superb exceeded only by the taste and presentation. Very clean. Great variety. Healthy and appropriate portions. Best Sushi in Iowa.Special Features:
- We had a large table of 20.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/2/2010We had a large table of 20. Its actually a nice restaurant for a group that size, however, they only assigned one waiter to our entire group. Service was slow as a result. Additionally, bringing 20 to a restaurant on an otherwise slow night for a birthday party, you might hope for some sort of birthday treat. Free drink? Dessert? But despite asking, restaurant could not provide. Aside from these points, food was pretty good, as was ambiance.
- new management, a lot of newOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2010new management, a lot of new servers, the waitstaff was really slow, it has never been this way before, rather annoyingSpecial Features: