305 Hahani St
Kailua, HI 96734Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Formaggio Grill Kailua
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.formaggio808.com/
- Phone: (808) 263-2633
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily from 11:30 am - 3:00 pm; Happy Hour w/ Special Tapas from 3:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:00 pm - 10:00 pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00 pm - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kawika Cahill
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: From PARTY PLATTERS to BENTO BOXES we offer affordable catering to fit all your needs.
1. CARRY-OUT Catering: Drop by Formaggio Grill and pick up the food. It will be boxed up and ready to go.
2. DROP-OFF Catering:
Let us bring the food out to you. Enjoy the convenience of home or office delivery. *
3. SET UP & SERVE Catering: We will set up, service, take-down and clean so you can relax and enjoy. *
4. NEED A PLACE TO PARTY?: The Gallery at Formaggio Grill is our beautiful private room with comfortable seating for up to 36 guests. *
*Additional fees or minimums may apply.
- Private Party Facilities: Celebrate life in The Gallery at Formaggio Grill. Our beautiful new room offers intimate private dining in an elegant yet remarkably relaxed setting. It features a double vaulted arched ceiling with Italian blown glass chandeliers. Commissioned pieces of 'wine art' by eclectic artist Ron Genta grace the gallery walls. It's the perfect place to gather with business associates or family and friends. There is comfortable seating for up to 36 guests all at one table. Our big screen monitor and Bose stereo complements your audio / visual needs.
- Private Party Contact: TC Chun 8082632633x
- Entertainment: Live music on Thursday from 7:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday and Saturday from 9:30pm - 12:30am.
- Cross Street: Kailua Road
- Public Transit: Da Bus stops across the street on Kailua Road with service to 10:00 pm.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: FREE PARKING at the front and rear of Hahani Plaza. Additional free parking at adjacent shopping center lots across the street. Adjacent post office parking lot requires small $2.00 fee after 5:00 pm
The interior is a warm and comfortable environment with welcoming tones of Tuscan reds and golds, decorated with the art of Ron Genta. Soft lowered lights cast aglow about the restaurant, reflecting off of the plush red stools and wooden friendship bar-style tables.
Achieving that perfect blend of "upscale" yet casual, Formaggio Grill is the "gathering place" for the Windward side. Come enjoy the good food, fine wine, and great friends at Formaggio Grill in Kailua.
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
- Great timeAndyDined on 10/11/2014It's a beautiful space. A downtown feel in the heart of Kailua. The servers are courteous, kind, and above all attentive. The wine was great the food was delicious. Highly recommend if your looking for a nice spot to dress a little more than casual and have a nice dinner without travelling to town.Special Features:
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/29/2014My family finished their plates, that says something! Overall great food and great service! Will definitely go back there.Special Features:
- Fourth time goingmeecherooVIPDined on 9/14/2014I've been here a few times. I really enjoy the food. The escargot is not my favorite here. It was kind of burnt, but I love the filet mignon and truffle fries. People around us got water before we did, and we had to ask two times. We didn't get plates either, but other people got plates. The waiter was nice, but he didn't come back to us once our food was served to ask how our steaks were. I would still go back again if someone else wanted to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood RestaurantFoodieJudyDined on 9/5/2014I could see coming here with my workmates for lunches or small group work related celebrations. The food was good. The pricing was slightly high for the quality. If it had better service, the $$ would have felt more comparable. The wine list was very interesting. And the décor was fun. Unfortunately the waiter didn't understand wines. It was obvious he didn't drink them and/or was not trained on what to recommend. Which was unfortunate as I would have probably ordered a much more expensive bottle if I felt confident in his recommendations. He was also very slow and forgot my son's milk. To his defense, there was a large table to attend but he should have been more attentive to our table. Overall it was a decent meal.Special Features:
- Will be back againMomi808Dined on 9/3/2014My husband & I finally went to Formaggio's; decided to try something new. It's menu complimented both of our palettes -he likes meat & seafood and I like more eclectic fusion of flavors. He had the filet mignon with shrip; which he devoured. I had the kalbi lamp chops with truffle fries! SAY WHAT!?! Yep - KALBI LAMB CHOPS (super ono) and TRUFFLE FRIES (divine indulgence). Would I go back for both? HELLS TO THE YEAH! However there are other delictables to devour on our next visit. Our reservations was on a Wednesday night @ 6pm. Needless to say the restaurant wasn't overly busy, which was nice. I do have to mention that it was a bit warm inside. The doors to the outside were closed so one would expect it to be a bit cooler.Special Features:
- Great food if you don't mind noiseLisaDined on 8/30/2014This was our first time here for dinner. Though it has a cute interior, with the ceilings so high it can become extremely noisy. And when you add to that a large bar party of at least 25 people that showed up, the noise level was deafening. We could not truly talk at our table. We had to yell just to be heard. Now the food was outstanding and our server was great but the noise level ruined the evening. We will come back but try a midweek evening instead of the weekend.Special Features:
- Great food.Olgreydog7Dined on 8/21/2014I had the steak special, a rib eye with mushrooms and gnocchi over a kale salad, and my wife had the fish special, opah over risotto. Both were excellent. The house sangria was delicious, it actually tasted like wine and not just a sugary mix. The server was attentive and not over bearing. Really glad we tried it and we will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always outstanding.ChrisDined on 8/21/2014Kailua is a great place but lacks great restaurants with excellent food and incredible ambiance. Formaggio makes up for it with both. We have never been disappointed dining here.Special Features:
- Average DinnersTonyJazDined on 8/7/2014The wine selection here is quite extensive with over 50 wines to choose from. This place is noted for their steaks, seafood and thin crust pizzas although I can’t comment regarding the pizza because we did not order the pizza. Live music is present every Friday and Saturday, although we did not experience the live music. My family of 4 visited here 2 times for dinner. Both times we ordered their shrimp hummus for $15.50, which was one of our favorite appetizers. I highly recommend their hummus. I started with their blue agave rita for $8.50. See my pics. The martini’s were $12 and the red Sangria was $9.50. The first time I ordered their 12 ounce prime rib for $32.95, which I thought was just ok. It was one of the more expensive dishes.Special Features:
- Best to worst in two visitsNicoleNicoleVIPDined on 8/4/2014Last time I had a filet mignon at Formaggio it was superb. A couple months later, overcooked and tasteless. The lobster was overcooked and like rubber. The waiter missing most the meal seeming to prefer to set tables rather than bring us a our glass of wine. I wanted lemon all dinner, brought after we were done. Not smart. My dining partner was too nice. I would have said something right there. This place has amazing potential but it cannot be hit and miss, to get top rating it's gotta be good to real good every time. This time: fair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not fabulousartdude3Dined on 7/26/2014The wine was great and food was great but the restaurant was very warm which made dining a sweatfest. Was very disappointed when I specifically ordered Bruschetta Pomodoro and after explaining it to the waitress, still got some warm bread with tapenade in little containers. 1st dish they failed at. Other than that, everyone was very happy with the service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 270 reviews are from the Formaggio Grill Kailua reviews archive.
- Great Prime RibOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/16/2014My husband really enjoyed his prime rib dinner with broccoli mashed potatoes. Haven't had that combination before. I had the fish tacos and I wasn't very hungry anyway. Would have preferred corn tortillas not flour. We would eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty meal, medium servicesbwklbDined on 7/11/2014We really enjoyed the food. It was tasty and flavourful. We had a few small issues like the fish tacos being a bit dry, but the ahi dish and kale salad were both great. The tiramisu was delicious! And the wine was also great. The service wasn't ideal. Our server was busy and stressed out. She also misheard our order and because she didn't write it down and repeat it back to us to check, brought out the wrong thing. The food was very good but not 5 star good. That coupled with the average service makes this a fun place to eat but not our top choice for a romantic evening with high expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/19/2014All our fish was over cooked but the dinner salad and onion soup was yummy. Will try again, hopefully next time the fish is cooked correct as all else was enjoyable.Special Features:
- service/table side mannersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014We dined in for fathers day lunch. This was our first time there. First impression (of the appearance) was beautiful. Loved the wine cellar. Our first server was great! However her shift had ended, so we got shuffled to the next. Which was fine. But the second server didn't seem to care to much. She came only to fill water, didn't really check on us. And wasn't too warm or inviting. We felt more like a burden rather than a guest. However, the food was great! We had the ribs and prime rib poke. We would probably come back for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's hit-or-missMelissaDined on 5/31/2014Sometimes good this time bad-food was cold. Will try other places in Kailua next time.
- PrimoDined on 5/23/2014We enjoyed our evening at Formaggio…..service was excellent, food well prepared ad served hot, and wine was noteworthy. We love to support restaurants that are community favorites, and not just the usual brand restaurants we all know about, that really don't have a personal touch. Our server, Anna was delightful and most helpful, and represents your establishment well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seemed unpreparedthreemsDined on 5/12/2014This was our fourth or fifth visit. and as we live in Kailua we consider it a neighborhood favorite. Things were a little off though this time. We went the day after Mother's day, and it seemed as though they were expecting a slow night as it was obvious they were struggling to keep up with demand. The servers were doing their best, but it appeared the kitchen couldn't keep up. There was what appeared to be visual tension between kitchen and server staff. We waited somewhere between 15 & 20 minutes for our meal and when the food arrived we had to send back a Kobe burger that was between rare and medium rare rather than medium. This made the wait time even longer. Overall, not so pleasant.Special Features:
- hubbubRobertDined on 5/11/2014While we prefer quiet dining spots, and Formaggio's is just a bit noisy for us, we also find that the only really quiet spots in Kailua are the empty ones. And they're empty for good reason. The food and service at this restaurant are both quite good and worth the money. We found it successfully adventurous, just right for a special occasion. In this case, it was Mother's Day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lacking expectationsSpecialOcasDinerDined on 5/1/2014Having dined here before was disappointed. Quality of food was not there to match the prices. I had the grilled Opah fish special that came with various vegetables & Happa rice. Fish was cooked fine but with the mix of vegetables it was drab, dry tasting. Vegetables,were greens like kale, Brussel sprouts, cabbage, that did not create a natural sauce. Dish needed a sauce. When I made the reservation I noted we were there to celebrate a birthday. Nothing was mentioned by any staff member. Waitress was covering almost every table which made service lacking. Example we wanted dessert & she went to get us a menu but stopped to take a tables order, enter order in computer saw us staring at her & then finally brought menu to us.Special Features:
- Best restaurant meal in a long timeKapoleifoodieDined on 4/19/2014We took the whole family for a birthday dinner, including grandparents and a 12 year old. Lovely atmosphere, dimly lit. They had a small flashlight for the grans to see their menu. Our daughter didn't like what she ordered so they gladly prepared something else for her. Service was attentive and wine recommendations excellent. Food contempory without being too fussy. Delicious! Best meal we've had out in a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just excellent!MrGerry1Dined on 4/18/2014Our party ordered 3 different steaks and all were excellent! Great wine list and the service was top notch. I would certainly recommend this resto to anyone who enjoys excellent food and service and I will definitely revisit this resto next timei am in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid as UsualSciFiDined on 4/5/2014Another solid experience at this class establishment. Food was hot, well prepared and presented and of course, tasty. Service was excellent. This is a place to be savored along with the food and wine. It is not inexpensive or quick, so don't expect either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014Three of my group of four were unavoidably 1/2 hour late! I expressed my dismay to the maitre d' and he told me not to worry. I had a very good pinot noir at the bar and we were graciously seated when the late-comers arrived. The menu had a choice to satisfy everyone. The waitress kindly had the crab crusted salmon prepared without the crab and substituted an order of rice for the dish for my 7 year old grandson without any fuss. We've been to Formaggio in the past and hosted a baby shower there several years ago. However, due to our own issues this time, they couldn't have been more accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/23/2014We loved this place and the food was great. We will definitely go back for dinner again. I can't wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's becoming a regular thingLanceDined on 3/9/2014This is becoming on of our favorite places to go to when we need a fix of good wine and great food. The lamb I had was done just right and the portions so generous I could barely finish it (but I did!). My wife loved the greens on my plate so much I had to practically restrain her from taking all of it right off my plate. We've been here several times and have never been disappointed in the service, wine or food. My only gripe - parking is tough and Kailua rains a lot, so make sure you pack an umbrella in case you need to hike a little from down the street or around back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I requested on open tableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/9/2014I requested on open table to be seated in the corner since I will be withy elderly father who uses a wheelchair we were seated smack dab in the middle of the restaurant. servers were switching off.. its fine but dont say that the other server is too busy for us.Special Features:
- Nice place overall with goodIanMVIPDined on 3/6/2014Nice place overall with good comfort food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodJackDined on 3/2/2014The food was fresh and there was a nice selection of Mediterranean options. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/28/2014If you're not up for a loud acoustic room ask for the back room. My husband and I love it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gone DownhillFrysDined on 2/27/2014We used to feel fortunate Formaggio opened in Kailua but recent experiences have been less than stellar. It was my husband's birthday, which I noted in the Open Table reservation but the staff didn't acknowledge. Not a big deal but would've been nice. Food -- borderline poor. Sent back the Caesar, which clearly had been pre-made and left in a freezer. Browning pieces of iceberg lettuce frozen with ice chips and soggy croutons. Inedible. The replacement "fresh" salad was marginally better. Lobster mac n cheese was watery and bland, though it did contain some nice pieces of lobster meat. Service -- slow, odd. Different servers checked in irregularly, none offered my husband a fresh drink. Not an experience to repeat, wouldn't recommend.
- Good food and the waitressOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/22/2014Good food and the waitress was attentive, upbeat and polite. Unfortunately, it took a long time to get seated despite our dinner reservation. The manager offered my friend and I drinks while we waited. We were both highly disappointed to find the cost for the drinks ( one each) charged to our bill. We assumed that his gesture to offer us a drink was the restaurant's acknowledgment of thanking us for the long wait we had to endure. Despite this disappointment, we enjoyed our dinner selections and provided a 20% tip to the waitress to honor her good work.Special Features:
- Great place to take visiting familyDinaDined on 2/21/2014We have been to Formaggio Grill in Kailua twice for dinner. Both times were with family that were visiting us from Washington DC. We live in Hawaii Kai and this restaurant is conveniently located away from busy Waikiki. The food is excellent, the service is professional and friendly. We made a special request to add another guest and to be seated in their back room and both of these requests were very cordially accommodated. We were seated on time with no wait time. It is the best place to take our group of friends and family to have a good meal and enjoy each other's company. We also have 2 children dining with us and although they don't have a children's menu they were very eager to point out special items they make for children.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Spot for Special OccasionsNorthstarDined on 2/15/2014My wife and I have been here for special occasions and the occasional date night and we are never disappointed. The food and wine are great and we will be back!Special Features:
- Unenjoyable Experience - RegretSteMoDined on 2/14/2014I would hate to write a review that seemed so full of discontent that it almost seems to be bias but I assure you, the experiences that my wife and I had can be objectively viewed as undesirable. I had made reservations for 9:30pm, my wife and showed out at 9:10 and we were not seated until just before 10:00 (9:57). The food took roughly 45 minutes to be brought out and my burger was so rare, it was dripping blood on the bun and plate (I ordered it medium-well). My wife's filet mignon was cold. Lastly, as we were finishing our meal, the employees began taking down the eating area around us which made us very uncomfortable. Not worth it, regret it, wouldn't recommend it.Special Features:
- Fun!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014We went on Valentine's Day. Although we had a reservation it took around 20 minutes to seat us after our reservation time. That was the only downside to our evening. Once we were seated we had a very attentive and charming server. The menu was (unfortunately) sold out of the baked brie that was on special for the day. However, the wine was fantastic and the steaks were amazing. There was an acoustic guitarist playing that night and it created wonderful ambiance. We were seated right next to the musician and we were worried that it might get too loud but it was absolutely perfect. The musician (I don't know his name) was a perfect addition to the evening and overall we had a lovely night! Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointingnomnom808Dined on 2/14/2014Husband and I decided to finally try it for our Valentines Dinner. We had reservations for 7:45pm and got seated at 8:00pm. Ok cut them some slack on Valentine's Day. We ordered the Lobster Bisque. It was ok the consistency was nice creamy but it was a little salty and NOT HOT. If it is cold soup I like it cold. If it is hot soup I like it hot. But lukewarm for soup is not awesome. Entreees did not arrive in a timely manner 30 min from the soup Entress were ok but not memorable. Not worth the price in taste or in portion Dessert Tiramisu was the best thing about the whole meal. Waitress was not attentive.
- not what we expecteddionzyDined on 2/14/2014I was a bit underwhelmed. We thought this was supposed to be a fancy romantic experience. Both My husband and I's entrees were not great. He ordered a veal shank and I had Braised ribs with wasabi Mashed potatoes. My meat was not very tneder for being braised beef, and the flavor of the potatoes was inedible. I love to eat and don't find myself to be too picky, but this was just not good! To top it all off the music that was playing was bad 90's boy bands and played out pop hits! I was anticipating a bit more class from a place recognized for its wine list and visual appeal. We will not be going back here. The $150 we spent on dinner might have been better spent at a chain resturant!Special Features:
- Valentine's Day at the GrillRoydenDined on 2/14/2014I took my wife to Formaggio's for a romantic Valentine's Day dinner and we were not disappointed. This was the first time that we had been seated in the back room and although it lacks a little of the atmosphere and energy of the main room, it was perfect for a quiet, romantic dinner. We started with the Baked Brie with Jalepeno Fig Jam; it was a Valentine's special, but ought to be on the regular menu as it was absolutely delicious. For entrees, my wife had the Prime Rib and I had the Delmonico steak; both were really good, although we had to take some home to save room for desert. We finished the evening with the Lilikoi Cheesecake, which was just to die for! All in all, five Shaka's for the Grill!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines DinnerJtddDined on 2/14/2014Nice atmosphere, waitress forgot the wine after she brought the glasses. Food was great but some chefs cook food very differently that I like medium well. The beet and kale salad was excellent.Special Features: