306 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.forkrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2156259425x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 10pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Sunday Brunch: 11am- 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Eli Kulp
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Whether you are planning a business meeting for 6, a simple dinner party for 12, or cocktail reception for 50, Fork can handle all the details necessary to make your next special occasion a huge success! Our catering staff strives to tailor our services to your needs and is dedicated to bringing to your event the same quality & sophistication that our restaurant is known.
- Special Events: Check out upcoming events at forkrestaurant.com!
- Cross Street: 3rd
- Public Transit: Septa Bus Lines 42 & 17, 3rd Street
Septa Regional Rail, Market East Station
Market-Frankford El, 2nd Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking convenient to the restaurant: -The Bourse Parking Lot: 400 Ranstead (4th between Market & Chestnut) $6.50 with validation
A word from Fork Restaurant
Fork, acclaimed for its contemporary American cuisine for over 15 years, features 2014 Food & Wine Best New Chef Eli Kulp’s inventive-but approachable menu inspired by the region’s finest produce, seafood and meat as well as the area's deep history. Part of Fork's allure is its hip, stylish, sophisticated interior, where the dining experience is anything but stuffy and uncomfortable. Fork's hand-painted chandelier shades catch your eye as you look above the cast-concrete bar. Modern contemporary murals painted by Anthony DeMelas accentuate the height of the ceilings. Since opening, Fork has received the praise of many local and national publications, including the New York Times, USA Today, Town and Country, Food and Wine, Wine Spectator, Zagat's and Gourmet. Fork has received 15 Best of Philly awards from Philadelphia Magazine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Fork Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Old City ›
Fork Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
224 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (176)special occasion (129)romantic (84)neighborhood gem (76)notable wine list (74)hot spot (41)vibrant bar scene (27)great for brunch (17)good for groups (16)great for lunch (16)late-night find (11)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Just OKSjennylsuDined on 9/13/2014We chose Fork because we had hear that it was reinvented, breathtaking, hauntingly good, and all that jazz under chef Eli Kulp. We did the tasting menu, and the extra bread dish, a muse boche, and dessert were very nice touches; however, not a single dish could be described as reinvented, hauntingly good, or breathtaking. Each dish was simply ok. Simply nothing to write home about or pay over $200 for.Special Features:
- Unremarkable flavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014It was our first time there. Went there based on friends' recommendations. Tried the Chef's tasting "off the menu". The flavors, while attempting at uniqueness, was lacking boldness or personality. The plum soup was just sweet, the shrimp tasted like just grilled shrimp. Peach wine was unremarkable. The pasta was good, but predictable carbonara flavor. The pork tenderloin was lacking any flavor, and the fried "rind" did not add any flavor to the dish. Overall, we were satisfied but felt there should have been more protein entree other than the shrimp and pork.
- High hopes dashedCarolVIPDined on 9/12/2014This dinner was a big deal. We flew across the country for a quick visit with friends who were in Philly from Italy for chemo at U of Penn. I researched special restaurants & explained the situation in advance. Our Italian friends are foodies- they run a culinary tour business. Fork is beautiful, the bialies were wonderful. Unfortunately, it fell off. Our friends ordered the fish "en croute" & one requested no butter. The waiter forgot to mention this to the chef (wow- at this level of restaurant, we were really surprised). It was actually fried fish with lots of butter, not baked in a crust at all. She wound up not ordering anything. The pappardelle and swordfish were wonderful though. Mainly, the service wasn't warm or friendly. Bummer.Special Features:
- Special Dinner in PhiladelphiaDukeParentDined on 9/11/2014We were a group of 6 women celebrating the end of a long training week. Right after we arrived and were seated, a nicer table came available due to a cancellation and they very generously moved us to that location. One of our diners was gluten-free and they very patiently answered all of her questions and even brought her special gluten free bread to enjoy (while the rest of us got to eat the extremely yummy bread offerings that came inbetween all the courses). I have to say that the bread alone is worth the visit. However, all the other dishes were also excellent and the waitstaff and everyone at the restaurant went out of their way to make our evening enjoyable. I would definitely return. It is worth a visit.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Food was overpriced and not good at all. Too expensive and not worth it.
- Impressive, Incredible, & DELICIOUSOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/29/2014Fork came highly recommended! It proved to be so much more! Great Staff, ambiance, and most importantly the food! My friend and I tried a number of dishes which all came out at the perfect time. In between each meal we were served smalls bites as if they were palate cleansers which made us both excited for what was next! Highly recommend the tasting menu for the full affect of all the restaurant has to offer. I never do write ups, but for Fork...it is well deserved! Hands now my favorite restaurant on the East Coast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulVeritasDined on 8/29/2014Superb experience from start to finish. The food was all-world and the chef came to speak to us after we wrote him a note complimenting the food. Our kids purchased a gift card for us, and a small mix up ensued. The Fork staff could not have been more helpful in working to get it resolved.Special Features:
- slight declineHungryGirlVIPDined on 8/27/2014Service was still excellent but food has declined in quality since the recent rating. (Visited five times, 3 before and twice after the accolades.) While Still a wonderful place for dinner. not truly exceptional. I hope they get their game back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DinnerMarkerDined on 8/27/2014Fork's dining room is appealing and comfortable with an open kitchen. Service was helpful, friendly and attentive, although the up-sell to the house price fixe menu was a little strong. We chose to order a la carte. The summer salad was excellent, and the smoked yellow beets with oysters were even better. The lamb, prepared three ways was outstanding. The Amish chicken also got high marks. The wine list is relatively short but with many interesting and thoughtful selections. It is some on the expensive side. The coconut custard dessert was interesting but seemed to have too many flavors going on at once. Great restaurant...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent & EclecticOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/26/2014Outstanding meal selected from a very diverse menu. We enjoyed each dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food in Old CitykrzwVIPDined on 8/26/2014I have never been disappointed when I've eaten at Fork and I've been there more times than I can count. The food is absolutely delicious. Just expect to spend some money as it's not inexpensive, but worth every penny.Special Features:
- Dinner at ForkSailorDined on 8/25/2014This was one of the best dining experiences I have ever had. The food was exceptional and the service impeccable.Special Features:
- Great Dinner in Old CityBruinsRuleVIPDined on 8/24/2014Special occasion noted on reservation. Staff acknowledged event at seating & during meal. Quiet for a Sunday night. Nicely decorated space, w/ large central bar & open kitchen in rear. Both tried the tasting menu. Felt it was reasonable @ $75/person ($14 up-charge for steak seemed high). Interesting flavor combinations (particularly mint & fennel). I loved it, but might not appeal to all. Picked our own App, Pasta, Main & Dessert w/ several chef selections. Waitress Lisa knew the menu & described it well. Amish chicken was FABULOUS. Incredibly tender. Branzino also excellent. Fennel Papardelle was very tasty with tender pork ragu. Stone fruit consomme was very refreshing. Scallop crudo was excellent. Outstanding farm to table experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner out in Philly.RandDsreviewDined on 8/24/2014Big on service, big on presentation, BIG on price. Small on servings. The food was very good but portions were small. I would return and recommend this restaurant, however it would probably only be for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty, but...gooseDined on 8/24/2014The food was really tasty, but some of the dishes were overly salty. And I'm not sure that I'd go back simply from a cost perspective. $150 + tip for brunch for 4 seems a bit excessive, even for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Highly recommendedHangryDined on 8/23/2014Went there for my wife's birthday and from the very moment we walked in it felt special. Our server, Andrew, was very good. As a former server I tend the notice the little things and Andrew nailed them. For example, when he approached the table he noticed we had already started looking at the food menu instead of drinks and jumped right in with, "I see you are looking at dinner already, can I tell you about this menu?" instead of what I normally encounter, the "You need to drink alcohol now because we make a ton of money up-selling booze" pitch. Wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time!hdhpnh1002Dined on 8/22/2014Went for my wife's birthday. Our waiter was very knowledgeable, especially with the wine list. He talked us into the house pre fixe menu with random chefs offerings, which gave us a chance to try new food/flavors. Very impressed with the restaurant and staff's professionalism. Would recommend to friends/family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- impressiveJenniferVIPDined on 8/22/2014It generally takes a lot to impress me and Fork did just that. I had the "Our Terroir" tasting menu and it was just perfect. I also appreciate the fact that they had half bottles of wine on their wine list. May I recommend th Rex Hill, Willamette Valley, Pinot Noir it complemented the tasting menu well.Special Features:
- Personality!MartiniGirlDined on 8/22/2014Yes, this place has lots of personality from the unique food, to the friendly and helpful waiters to the awesome bartender. We really enjoyed the food although I will admit a couple if the small plates didn't quite measure up but it was fun and most of the plates were absolutely selish and all were beautiful. It was a great way to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal!AndrewoutandboutDined on 8/21/2014I was a frequent dinner at fork for some time - haven't been back in many months. This go around my dining partner Had the "Our Terroir" tasting menu with the wine paring. Creative, innovative, and just downright good! I really enjoyed the experience. This is a foodie place - service was wonderful and staff was extremely friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veterans Win!BritTenVIPDined on 8/20/2014I have been dining at Fork on and off for the last decade. Mostly brunch with an occasional dinner here and there. My last dining experience at Fork was phenomenal and only 2 days later I can not wait to return. The re-invented menu is a masterpiece by Chef Kulp. Holding true to the regions wide diversity of foraged, vegetables and meat/poultry sensations. It is simply one of the best restaurants in Philadelphia and with the past years accolades possible the USA!Special Features:
- Excellent in every wayVeganFanDined on 8/20/2014Fork just keeps getting better. The food is creative, fresh, and delicious and every meal I've had over the past 15 years has been excellent. My most recent was perhaps the best. I can't recommend this highly enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family Dining At Its BestOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014We chose Fork for a family dinner while visiting Philly.We knew at once we were in a good place.The place has a great vibe and open kitchen which gives a feel that the place is alive. Our waitress was exceptional and staff worked as a team to provide exceptional service.Started with home made pasta entre.Excellent.We then chose to indulge in both the Duck and Pork feasts to get a chance to taste them prepare in a manner that we would never see in any other restaurant.We devoured every last crumb. Oh and the bread, which in my opinion can make or break a place was the best. It comes from High on Market, voted that day one of the best new restaurants by Gourmet magazine.Best meal, best dining experience we had anywhere in a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/19/2014Went for the tasting menu at $95 each. With wine & a drink each, our total bill was almost $400. I was very much looking forward to this & have to say it did not meet my high expectations especially given the price. Wish we'd just ordered an app & entree from their regular menu. Our table was immediately ready unlike some reviewers have mentioned. Place was about half full all night on a Tuesday. Service was leisurely - as we requested.
- mgb3Dined on 8/17/2014they said the lobster was grilled and it came out poached? wasnt hot either! had to ask for drink order 3 times didnt live up to the hype! just OK
- A shining star!TweetyDined on 8/16/2014We are foodies, frequenting fine restaurants in New york, Europe etc and Saturday night was our first time eating at Fork! How lucky we are to have this caliber restaurant in our city….it is a shining star. When we arrived we were escorted to the bar; during our fifteen minutes there I asked the bartender about a particular after-dinner drink that a friend had told me about…immediately she asked if I'd like to try it and gave me a beautiful small glass with a sip or two for me to enjoy. Nice.We were seated and within minutes our waiter began taking very good care of us. Our meal, from start to finish, was stellar and we are looking forward to our return to Fork. This one should not be missed.Special Features:
- lrcrDined on 8/16/2014The food and service was outstanding. The lobster was wonderful,very different. I look forward to going back, that will be very soon.We loved your restaurantSpecial Features:
- Food LoverFoodLoverDined on 8/15/2014Good atmosphere; they never rush you from the table, even after the meal is finished; small portions; good wait staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Many Choices, All TastyGregDined on 8/13/2014I was very pleased with my dining experience. After a short wait and a confusing menu, we were able to enjoy each other's company and enjoy one of the best meals I have had in Philadelphia over the last 6 years of living here. Come for the food and the service!Special Features:
- Flawless ForkFlushingFirstTimersDined on 8/13/2014A friend and I went to Fork as a prelude to visiting the Barnes. As had been my experience in several visits over the years, the food and the service were flawless. We took advantage of the $25 two course lunch. The soup and salads were fresh and imaginative. The salmon was perfectly prepared. The service was attentive without being intrusive.Special Features:
- IzmandoDined on 8/12/2014From the time we walked in to the last bite of dessert our experience was fantastic. All of the staff were extremely friendly and helpful (female bartender was a bit short with us). Our waiter was very helpful, pleasant and had impeccable timing. The servers were great and humors as was most of the staff. It was my daughters 21st birthday and just about everyone wished her a Happy One. And the food, just wonderful. We preordered the duck feast and it did not disappoint. Best duck we've ever had. Our wine was perfect, decanted and brought to our table as I specified. A BIG thanks for that. Our dessert was a perfect finish complimented with a very nice espresso. Thank all of you for making my daughters 21st so special.Special Features:
- Great except 1 thingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/12/2014Food was outstanding. Waiter was outstanding. 1 problem kept the evening from being 5 star. Restaurant refused to seat us for 20 minutes because only 6 of our 7 people were ready to be seated. It felt like he wanted to force us to buy a drink at the bar and wait in a very uncomfortable bar setting as opposed to seating us at our table. The restaurant was empty at the time and our table was available the entire "punishment" period. Seemed unprofessional and set the evening off on a very bad note.Special Features:
- MeatMeatDined on 8/11/2014They way they prepare and serve their meat dishes is interesting and delicious. The fact that they serve you a meat dish with three different cuts of an animal three different ways led to a very satisfying dining experience.Special Features:
- Among Philadelphia's bestDanCDined on 8/10/2014There are many superb restaurants in Philadelphia, but I know none as good as the recent re-incarnation of Fork. My wife and I had the tasting menu. It's pricey - $75 per person - but it's also a real bargain. Every dish is vibrant and imaginative. The service is impeccable, friendly without the least hint of obsequiousness or condescension. The speciality drinks are excellent as well .Special Features:
- Fabulous ForkMediaDinerVIPDined on 8/10/2014We had a wonderful meal here. From the peach consommé starter to deconstructed guinea hen, 1-layer lasagna, and luscious gnudi, everything our foursome had was fresh, inventive, and delicious. Wine prices are absurd, however, so the total cost of nearly $200 per couple makes it a place we will not go back to often. Too bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceInfrequentdinersDined on 8/9/2014The food was great, but the staff made the experience wonderful. We were treated like VIPs, even though it was our first visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still going strongJJPPVIPDined on 8/9/2014Dined at Fork again recently. Still one of the best restaurants in town. The small plates were all special and the pasta amazing. The fish was disappointingly overcooked but the chef does amazing things with meat/duck courses. And the bread is as good as everyone says.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- msjhVIPDined on 8/9/2014While the service at Fork was exemplary, the kitchen tries too hard to be creative. The result- a mishmash of flavones,that often do not work. Had the tasting menu and all four of us agreed there wasn't one dish that we wish we had more.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014Excellent meal AS ALWAYS! The food is consistently good paired with superb service. Every time I visit Philadelphia I make sure to visit Fork!Special Features:
- Great SpotNYCerVIPDined on 8/8/2014New to Philly - Fork has an outstanding bar in the front of the restaurant that can handle groups - try the lamb trio...the best.Special Features: