735 Forest Ave.
Birmingham, MI 48009Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theforestgrill.com/
- Phone: 2482589400x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Monday - Saturday 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Feel free to call with any special requests or party information!
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian, French
- Executive Chef: Nick Janutol
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Artistic, fresh, locally inspired Epicurean cuisine. Set with elegance and designed for the senses. From small plates to custom tailored event, our gourmet fare is unrivaled.
Off site, restaurant buy out available.
- Private Party Facilities: The suite incorporates luxurious finishes with an edgy, urban design. A board room with seating for 14, a sophisticated lounge, top-of-the-line kitchens, and an elegant lobby define this space.
The suite offers the ideal location to host corporate meetings, personal or private events, cocktail parties, or lectures. With numerous room configurations, the suite remains highly adaptable to creating a unique environment to suit any of your event needs. The lounge can seat 48 guests for dinner and up to 100 guests for auditorium style presentations. The board room offers a myriad of opportunities from conference arrangements to intimate dinner parties and cocktail gatherings. State of the art technology and communication equipment enhances your experience.
- Private Party Contact: Kaitlyn 2482589400x
- Special Events: Call to ask about up coming wine and beer dinners, cooking classes, and special event parties!
A word from Forest Grill
Cooking what nature provides, The Forest Grill serves an ever-changing menu inspired by local produce, served up in a sophisticated and chic space, in the Triangle Disctrict of Birmingham, Michigan.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Forest Grill - Best Restaurants in Birmingham ›
Forest Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (35)special occasion (28)notable wine list (19)romantic (17)neighborhood gem (17)great for outdoor dining (7)good for groups (4)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great evening out.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014One of the best metro restaurants. Great food, good wine list, attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forest grill is solidEblondeDined on 8/23/2014Food consistently excellent. Pastry chef amazing! Not too sweet and unusual combinations that went together perfectly. Fish dishes cooked and seasoned perfectly so that the flavor of the fish is center stage. All ingredients super fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie nicheNotafoodieDined on 8/9/2014The chefs are passionate about creating a unique exotic dish however it's almost goes too far and in the end the restaurant is not for most. It is very expensive, but pretty average setting. The for is creative, but probably so far out of the mainstream that it might not make it.Special Features:
- Casual atmosphere and great food.TdysohDined on 8/1/2014We have been to Forest Grill twice. We had great service both evenings. The food is fun and nice to share if you have a group. The cocktails are delicious. We went early because we have a thirteen year old. Reservations were for 6:30. We did not have to wait and the service was very prompt but not rushed. I would go back again for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome dinner experienceRandyDined on 7/29/2014This was my fourth time to Forest Grill and each time I go, the staff is great and the food is delicious!Special Features:
- Worth trying againReviewer36Dined on 7/26/2014We gave up on Forest Grill a couple of years ago because it's service was not good at all. We tried it again ten days ago and our service was superb. So we went back again Saturday and found the service not so hot again. The problem seems to be with the level of staffing, not with the attitudes of the servers.Special Features:
- Outstanding SommelierOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/24/2014My wife and I truly enjoyed our dining experience at Forest Grill - with two young kids, we don't get out much, and we looked forward to the Beard-nominated restaurant. Joseph, the GM/Sommelier provided extraordinary service - both by explaining some specific wine-pairing distinctions (including terroir information that was very informative) and by making some suggestions that really enhanced the experience. The charcuterie plate was exceptional, and the monkfish entree was one of the best restaurant meals I've enjoyed in years. I would wholeheartedly recommend Forest Grill as a not-to-miss choice, even in this highly competitive restaurant area. We will certainly return!Special Features:
- The Best Birmingham Restaurantdrcunn1VIPDined on 7/12/2014Forest Grill is a foodies delight. We live in Bloomfield Hills and dine in Birmingham at least twice a week. Forest Grill's menu is innovative and truly"fine dining". The salads are superb their signature soups are exquisite. I frequently have a chicken dish and my husband fish. His halibut was prepared in parchment and seasoned to perfection. You'll have room for dessert because the portions are just the right size. We suggest the monkey bread with banana fosters ice cream and a pineapple drizzle (served on the side). We're fortunate to have many very good restaurants nearby but Forest Grill is a cut above.Special Features:
- eh...flavoerloverDined on 7/5/2014The dishes were prepared in interesting ways but they were lacking in flavor. I was disappointed.
- Excellent MealjfeechDined on 6/27/2014Our first experience with this place was great. The charcuterie was exceptional and all courses were cooked perfect. Definitely a keeper.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/27/2014This is the restaurant we dine at on a regular basis. The food is not the type you find on a menu with pics, just in case you don't know what a hamburger looks like! There are no pictures! Just food prepared like none other ( and we have eaten world wide) in the area. Salmon and Halibut to die for. Special small plate combination for those who want just a bit! Try it, you will come back again and again!Fresh, seasonal ingredients! Bryan (owner) has done it again.Special Features:
- Unexpected and horribleDisappointedDined on 6/21/2014Gone to FG many times before, and it's usually for a special event. This time was for my husbands' birthday. He attempted to order the NY strip and was told that they were out of that and instead had a bone out prime rib steak etc. They also said they recommended it medium rare which my husband said was perfect, that's what he would have ordered. After an hr wait they brought us some pasta because they didn't like the first steak. Steak 2 that they served was completely overdone, pretty much medium well to well. I had to eat while he waited for a 3rd steak which came out and was STILL OVER COOKED! At FG, this is completely unacceptable. I know the named chef wasn't back there but if you can't trust your line cooks to cook steak...Special Features:
- Great meal and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 6/21/2014My wife and I just moved home to the Detroit area after 10+ years away and we were pleasantly surprised to try Forest Grill as one of our first meals out back home. I can honestly say that the food quality and creativity was on par with the better restaurants we frequented in Chicago.Special Features:
- Fresh, delicious, delightful!TheresaDined on 6/9/2014My husband and I had the five course tasting menu along with the wine pairing, and every course was well-prepared, well-timed, appropriately proportioned, and so tasty. It was a lovely evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/31/2014Food was really just ok. I have had much better around town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very underwhelming.AnonymousDined on 5/28/2014Food was ok, not bad, just ok. Considering the price for dinner, I don't see any reason to go there again. Service was rather weak to say the least. I should specify that it was the waitress. Those who served the food where fine, but the waitress was terrible. The ambiance is loud. Everything was just plain ok. For a $200+ dinner for two, it was extremely disappointing and I won't bother with them again? NY Strip was bland, though the Grouper was pretty good. Bread is hard and the cheese board is fair at best. At the end the listless waitress just dropped the bill on the table without as much as a simple would you like anything else. We just laughed and said, well I guess we are done. Do yourself a favor, don't bother!
- We will be back.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/24/2014Our great experience started with the bartender who recommended some fun, clever, original cocktails. He clearly takes his job seriously. We met friends and all of us enjoyed our meals - everything was delicious and the wine recommendation was on target. The short rib cannelloni was incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealJFRuschVIPDined on 5/14/2014Had a business dinner with folks that love food. The food was wonderful - try the Farm Egg, really. Everyone enjoyed their food. The wine choices were wonderful and we got valuable help in making our selections. You come for the food and wine but the service - which was great - makes the evening.Special Features:
- If you're in to wine...OldWinoDined on 5/10/2014This place has quite the extensive wine list, and also a sommelier so guide you through it if need be. I had an excellent NY strip and apple tart for dessert and washed it all down with a petite sirah of exquisite taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastyGreatFoodButExpensiveDined on 5/9/2014I love that they had a daily changing 5 course chef's special. It was delicious! And perfect portion size! I'll definitely be back. Even though my date and I look young, we were still treated with respect and had great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 343 reviews are from the Forest Grill reviews archive.
- Creative MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/2/2014The menu was full of interesting items and unique flavors. the service was excellent and the waitress knew each dish well.Special Features:
- Outstanding food and service!ZvilleFoodieDined on 4/16/2014The food was top notch...real focus on quality organic ingredients. The wait staff and sommelier were very knowledgeable and extremely attentive. I highly recommend this place for foodies or anyone willing to be a little adventurous (not too much...just enough).Special Features:
- Fit for foodiesCorkladyGKSDined on 4/12/2014Finally! A Detroit menu that is thoughtful, exciting and different! We've lived here for four years and have been disappointed by the "same old thing" at most restaurants in metro Detroit. Not so at Forest Grill! Delicious, thoughtful food with equal care taken with the extensive wine list and perfect wine pairings on the tasting menu. Excellent service as well! We'll definitely be back frequently! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet FoodjetskiboatVIPDined on 4/11/2014Great experience. Good at a quality level above the rest. Even the simple things are unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!Aggie80Dined on 4/9/2014Really nice Charcuterie selection. The Farm Egg in the starters is excellent! Really enjoyed the food, nice selection and really wonderful flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pricey but goodopentablefanVIPDined on 4/5/2014I miss the veal. I am always sad when my favorite item isn't on the new seasonal menu. Forest Grill has a very limited menu but I can usually find something delicious despite my dietary restrictions.
- The table service was good,MichaelPDined on 4/3/2014The table service was good, but this particular evening, and not overly busy, they were short-staffed with the manager filling in as he could. The drinks were very slow in coming but the bartender seemed content doing whatever non-tending thing he was doing that precluded him from pouring four glasses of wine. Our waiter was very nice and did the very best he could to cover our table as well as the others her was responsible for. The appetizers and entrees were good to very good..no complaints. However our two desserts were uninspired. The Opera Cake was as dry as dust and the apple tart was nuked to its demise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not live up to the billinglivetoeatDined on 3/22/2014Restaurant came highly recommended but we came away disappointed. The service left a lot to be desired and the food took a long time to arrive at the table but in all fairness they were quite busy. There were some exotic dishes on the menu but we went with the steak and fish options. The fish was not very well seasoned and the quality of steak was average at best. The ambience was nice and the décor was elegant.Special Features:
- Great food but slow kitchen tonightMikeDined on 3/22/2014The food was stellar as always, but the food took forever to arrive. I felt like the waitress wanted us to finish a bottle of wine before the soup arrived so that we would order another one. Not cool. But, as we had a lot of time, it didn't matter that much. I also mentioned that we were having a rehearsal dinner in the Open Table reservation, but no one at the restaurant even mentioned it. Odd. Oh, and we had to find our own coats at the coat check. A rather odd evening for a restaurant of this caliber.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birmingham Gemgkp33VIPDined on 3/22/2014We enjoyed Forest Grill! It's a restaurant that is fit for a Foodie! Very different food options..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb food, beautiful presentationOmnimousDined on 3/14/2014Forest Grill is worth the drive from Ann Arbor, which is saying something given the ugly roadscape and tortured traffic on the major roads. We were late, but were warmly greeted by the staff. Our server had read the message we sent earlier about foods that we must avoid. It seems very few Open Table restaurants even look at the comment field, so Forest Grill showed attention to detail even before we arrived. The sommelier was friendly, and full of information about sparkling rose wine, which was the subject of our first decision. We shared a beautiful sparkling malbec. The food was beautiful, made from local ingredients, and intense flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow but goodDocstoneVIPDined on 3/1/2014Food prep was very slow. Excellent presentation and taste. I liked the quiet ambienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2014I have been to Forest Grill multiple times. Everytime the food is outstanding.I would recommend this to a friend.
- An excellent place for qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/1/2014An excellent place for quality food and remarkable dining experience. Not located in the heart of downtown Birmingham, but still close by. Service was very helpful in particular with identifying foods my gluten-free wife could enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food the menu does notlewnlesDined on 2/22/2014Great food the menu does not reflect the outstanding preparation.
- Special OccasionDonnaballetDined on 2/14/2014Never had been here, but liked the food and service. The ambiance is nice enough - it follows the "grille" theme of their name. Would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceDianaDined on 2/14/2014My boyfriend and I came here for Valentines Day and had the set menu. The food was really good, and our server was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Memorable DinnerboboVIPDined on 2/6/2014We went to Forest Grill for Birmingham Restaurant Week. We had been there before, but looked forward to a series of small plates that typify Restaurant Week fare. In terms of quality, Forest Grill did not disappoint. The soft boiled farm egg appetizer was terrific, with a perfectly cooked egg that "required" dipping of the fresh baked baguette. The pasta bolognese was innovative, as it was infused with pork and bacon and served over fresh made pasta. The almond gateaux was light and flavorful. The sommelier suggested excellent wine parings. Our dinner was memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week HitfoodieVIPDined on 1/30/2014Had lunch during restaurant week. Do not pass up the Egg appetizer. The perfect soft boiled egg, that when you pierce it with your fork, that creamy yolk, oozing around the perfectly fried phyllo dough strips, pure heaven!! Perfectly fried, crisp pork belly entree, followed by a delicious almond tart. Serving sizes were perfect for lunch!! Waiter even topped off our wine to keep us happy as service was a bit slow, but kitchen was very busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sommelier made the eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/28/2014Went to Forest Grill during Birmingham Restaurant Week and decided to go with the wine pairing option. The sommelier really made the evening for us. He was very energetic and knowledgeable. The wine pairings he chose for each course were spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.